Homemade Tendskin

4.6

Price: $

Price: $

5.5 oz rubbing alcohol, 26-28 uncoated aspirin, and 2.5 oz witch hazel. Mix it up in a spray or flip top bottle, let the aspirin dissolve, give it a good shake or 3. Voila!

on 7/11/2012 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm so suprised this worked! I have never tried tendskin but I was considering buying it because of the mad razor burn I get when I shave my legs. I stumbled upon this and tried it last night.

I didn't think it was going to work. I literally get razor burn as I'm shaving, and I could see the red bumps developing before I stepped out of the shower. I thought it was too late, but I tried it anyway. Let me tell you, it burned like the Dickens! But I was expecting that and just sucked it up. I waited a few minutes, still red..a half hour redness gone...bumps not as formed. This morning, no bumps or redness and it seems to have healed a small cut on my knee! This stuff is great!

It's only after one use, but I think if I continue to use it, my legs will dry out. I read about adding glycerin (didn't have any) or lube like KY which I have, but I didn't want my pores on my legs to get clogged. I might do another batch with the added moisture next go around.

I did the recipe as it said, 5.5 oz rubbing alchohol 2.5 oz witch hazel, which already had alchohol in it..not sure why you need more alcho, and 27 crushed uncoated aspirins. Try this, I think you'll like it!

on 5/23/2012 7:52:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Man, has this stuff saved my bacon. Every time I forget to use it I get terrible ingrowns. If I then get really skippy on using it 3 or 4 times a day, over a couple of days I can actually watch the hairs emerge from the skin where they had been ingrown..

It doesn't smell so great -- lavender or redcedar oil can help with that, if you're not sensitive to them.

I use the recipe with witch hazel and 70% alcohol. I store it in a cleaned-out Eucerin sunscreen pump bottle.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

At last i get to write a review on something i make myself! OK my recipe is similar to that 'preferred' recipe floating round on the 'net. Difference is i don't include 'Cyclomethicone' - i find it hard to get hold of and it works just as well without! Its basically a clear, odorless silicone found in most deodorants, lotions etc that leaves a silky-smooth finish on the skin. I moisturize immediately after so i get my 'cyclomethicone' fix anyway haha!

For those of you unaware of the recipe, here it is:

Isopropyl alcohol 70%
Propylene Glycol 15%
60 uncoated aspirins (works out to about 10%)
Glycerin 5%

This lot goes into a 16fl oz tend skin bottle (or any other bottle you fancy). You can estimate as you pour the ingredients in - what is equal to 70% or 5% etc. Or use a marker for the halfway point on the outside of the bottle. Between that point and the top end you have the 75% mark so you know to pur the alcohol to just below that level. It honestly does not really make a difference if you go slightly over or less, i tried different ratio's and it worked out fine each time.

The result... i get the same benefits as tendskin at approx half the price it costs to buy a bottle. Thats good enough for me! I get exactly the same results as tendskin too. No ingrown hairs or bumps on arms/bikini line. In fact I believe their recipe uses less Glycerine and Propylene Glycol so isn't as moisturizing as my version is! Tip: be sure to shake the bottle each time before you use so that the layer of aspirin sitting at the bottom mixes with the rest of the liquid..

on 10/29/2011 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Great idea. I noticed the original has glycerin - from natural hair boards I know that lube is glycerin so added some generic KY to the formula to match it better to the original. Seems to work; after this is gone will try it just like formula here, and then put body lotion over, to see which is better. But if you were looking to add glycerin, original generic KY is water, glycerin, propylene glycol, and preservatives, and mixes beautifully into this formula.

Only complaint is mix is a little gritty and asprins don't dissolve completely, but for this price? Spectacular.

on 10/10/2011 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Excellent stuff. For years I just used lots of Aquaphor after waxing to prevent those awful waxing breakouts on upper lip and brows. Now I use this before applying Aquaphor and it's even better. I'm so glad I came across this recipe, it's fantastic. Also good for spot treating blemishes. Uncoated aspirin is hard to find, so I just crush up regular ones with a mortar & pestle.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is sooo much cheaper then tendskin & works great!!

on 4/23/2011 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Works great, and you save a lot of money compared to retail. It's very easy to mix this up in my little bullet blender, and I put it in a little travel shampoo type bottle.
Works just as well as the retail brands at preventing ingrown hairs.

on 12/30/2010 11:46:00 PM

Amazing.

Also works great as a toner for acne-prone or oily skin.

on 8/14/2010 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have NEVER been able to shave my bikini area. I've been "blessed" with ultra-sensitive skin that develops rashes at the drop of a hat. I was going to a pool party and didn't want to take the time to trim my, ahem, personal area with my trimmers. It takes forever and is never short enough. I decided to take a chance and try this. I didn't really measure anything out, but I've had plenty of experience mixing up skin care concoctions, so I just kind of eyeballed it. I found an empty bottle, squirted in a good amount of witch hazel, dropped in maybe 15 uncoated aspirins and a bit of rubbing alcohol (but not too much because I hate the smell. LOL). I rubbed it on with a cotton ball after shaving and it really soothed the area. I did it again that night. So far, 2 days later, NO irritation. I'm super impressed with this formula and so glad I'm finally able to shave my bikini area like "normal" people! =)
UPDATE: Still amazed by this. I get literally NO irritation when I use this when, before, I would have dozens of little red bumps. Simply amazing!

on 8/4/2010 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this "recipe". i felt a bit like a chemist whipping it up, but the results are totally worth it. Had an unfortunate amt of ingrowns (due to waxing) - so annoying. This mixture really seems to have helped. I am going to try it on an annoying large zit that has materialized on the side of my face and hopefully it'll work on that as well

Popular Body Skincare Products