October 21, 2014 | 2036 users online

Skincare - Body - Homemade Tendskin

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2011 3:28:00 PM More reviews by summerseabreeze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

At last i get to write a review on something i make myself! OK my recipe is similar to that 'preferred' recipe floating round on the 'net. Difference is i don't include 'Cyclomethicone' - i find it hard to get hold of and it works just as well without! Its basically a clear, odorless silicone found in most deodorants, lotions etc that leaves a silky-smooth finish on the skin. I moisturize immediately after so i get my 'cyclomethicone' fix anyway haha!

For those of you unaware of the recipe, here it is:

Isopropyl alcohol 70%
Propylene Glycol 15%
60 uncoated aspirins (works out to about 10%)
Glycerin 5%

This lot goes into a 16fl oz tend skin bottle (or any other bottle you fancy). You can estimate as you pour the ingredients in - what is equal to 70% or 5% etc. Or use a marker for the halfway point on the outside of the bottle. Between that point and the top end you have the 75% mark so you know to pur the alcohol to just below that level. It honestly does not really make a difference if you go slightly over or less, i tried different ratio's and it worked out fine each time.

The result... i get the same benefits as tendskin at approx half the price it costs to buy a bottle. Thats good enough for me! I get exactly the same results as tendskin too. No ingrown hairs or bumps on arms/bikini line. In fact I believe their recipe uses less Glycerine and Propylene Glycol so isn't as moisturizing as my version is! Tip: be sure to shake the bottle each time before you use so that the layer of aspirin sitting at the bottom mixes with the rest of the liquid..

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2011 11:58:00 AM More reviews by robin0575

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Great idea. I noticed the original has glycerin - from natural hair boards I know that lube is glycerin so added some generic KY to the formula to match it better to the original. Seems to work; after this is gone will try it just like formula here, and then put body lotion over, to see which is better. But if you were looking to add glycerin, original generic KY is water, glycerin, propylene glycol, and preservatives, and mixes beautifully into this formula.

Only complaint is mix is a little gritty and asprins don't dissolve completely, but for this price? Spectacular.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2011 9:28:00 PM More reviews by iberian

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Excellent stuff. For years I just used lots of Aquaphor after waxing to prevent those awful waxing breakouts on upper lip and brows. Now I use this before applying Aquaphor and it's even better. I'm so glad I came across this recipe, it's fantastic. Also good for spot treating blemishes. Uncoated aspirin is hard to find, so I just crush up regular ones with a mortar & pestle.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2011 9:03:00 PM More reviews by Forever21Chic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is sooo much cheaper then tendskin & works great!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2011 5:36:00 PM More reviews by Buppers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Works great, and you save a lot of money compared to retail. It's very easy to mix this up in my little bullet blender, and I put it in a little travel shampoo type bottle.
Works just as well as the retail brands at preventing ingrown hairs.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2011 5:25:00 PM More reviews by colettemeek

I've been using MUA since 2007 and LOVE it but have never written a review. This stuff is so great, I'm making it my first. I thought NOTHING would ever help with razor burn along the bikini line. This stuff takes care of it. I put it on immediately after shaving and never have to use it again. No itching/redness/anything. AMAZING!!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2010 11:46:00 PM More reviews by undone5865

Amazing.

Also works great as a toner for acne-prone or oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2010 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have NEVER been able to shave my bikini area. I've been "blessed" with ultra-sensitive skin that develops rashes at the drop of a hat. I was going to a pool party and didn't want to take the time to trim my, ahem, personal area with my trimmers. It takes forever and is never short enough. I decided to take a chance and try this. I didn't really measure anything out, but I've had plenty of experience mixing up skin care concoctions, so I just kind of eyeballed it. I found an empty bottle, squirted in a good amount of witch hazel, dropped in maybe 15 uncoated aspirins and a bit of rubbing alcohol (but not too much because I hate the smell. LOL). I rubbed it on with a cotton ball after shaving and it really soothed the area. I did it again that night. So far, 2 days later, NO irritation. I'm super impressed with this formula and so glad I'm finally able to shave my bikini area like "normal" people! =)
UPDATE: Still amazed by this. I get literally NO irritation when I use this when, before, I would have dozens of little red bumps. Simply amazing!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2010 11:21:00 PM More reviews by lmf102

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this "recipe". i felt a bit like a chemist whipping it up, but the results are totally worth it. Had an unfortunate amt of ingrowns (due to waxing) - so annoying. This mixture really seems to have helped. I am going to try it on an annoying large zit that has materialized on the side of my face and hopefully it'll work on that as well

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2010 9:31:00 PM More reviews by ash_theoriginal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Coming across the recipe for this has changed my life!!! I noticed a huge difference just on the first use!! It stings ever so slightly for a few seconds but leaves the area soooo smooth!! I was prone to the worst boils from ingrown hairs. They were so painful and I dreaded shaving my bikini area because I knew they were bound to pop up. No ingrown hairs to date, minimal bumps which are smaller than before, this stuff even minimized and faded the scars from past boils. I knew this stuff was heaven sent when my sis visited me recently. She started to get some severe bacne lately so I got her to try this stuff. Within three days her back was cleared!! I will continue to use this stuff forever!! Thanks MUA for the idea and recipe!!