New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder - Translucent

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I've used this powder for years. At first I bought it because of price. I ran out a few weeks ago and bought a different brand. Huge mistake. The NYC is unscented, colorless and completely sets my foundation. I don't have a problem with being oily. I did notice the Maybelline brand didn't completely set my foundation. I even tried the Bare Minerals powder. That did give me fuller coverage but did not actually set my foundation. The best thing about the NYC brand is the lack of scent. It does not give me a headache, smell powdery or like an old lady. No, the packaging isn't perfect but $3 sure is!

on 2/15/2014 6:36:00 AM

This powder is good, but not great.

It is worth the money but don't expect it to equal something hight end. The difference is still there. You will become more and more aware of it over time. The texture is coarse. Not to mention that for oily skin it might not be mattifying enough.

When I first tried it I was really impressed. I use loose powder after sunscreen. But it did not wear that well. The finish became less and less uniform every time I blotted.

It is still a good option though if you apply powder very lightly instead. After my sunscreen I need quite a bit of powder to remove the sheen I get. Even if I look slightly powdered at first, my very oily male skin will quickly take care of that.) But as I said, for most people who use powder sparingly this product might be more than OK.

The color is quite light and there is certainly some pink in there. But I doubt it contains much pigment. It's truly translucent. The packaging is just OK. The main problem is that the cover doesn't screw shut. Nor does it click securely in place. It just sits on there, and could easily come off in a makeup bag. But let's be honest, loose powders are not really meant to be carried with you everywhere.) I rest mine at home, quietly on the desk.)) If I go on a trip, I just block the sifter with tape. I have opened all the holes because I don't tap powder on the cover. I block the sifter with a large brush, and turn the container upside down depositing the powder directly on the brush instead. It's less messy and more economical that way.

Is it cheap? Yes.
To all Canadians I suggest checking out the loose powder by MARCELLE.
Considering the size, at Walmart it costs just as much $2.97 for 20g and $10.97 for 70g.. It is finer, smoother, impossible to overdo, and looks natural right away - no need for a setting spray.

on 2/10/2014 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

This powder is great if you're on a budget, considering how cheap it is ($3-4 at Target). It sets my makeup nicely, and although it's not the most finely milled powder I've ever used, it doesn't come off as cakey. My only gripe is the horrendous packaging. I made the mistake of completely removing the paper the sifter and about half of the product came out into the lid. And the lid doesn't screw shut, so I have to be very careful when I'm opening/closing it. I can't complain too much considering how inexpensive this is. Overall, this is a great drugstore powder which I've repurchased many time, and I definitely recommend it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this product; especially for the price I got it at ($2.79 at Walmart). Because I am new to translucent powders and I wanted to see if these powders was for me, I decided to give this one a go and I am glad I did! This powder can be worn alone or used to set foundation. I usually wear it alone and I find that this powder keeps me matte for the whole day. I use a kabuki brush to apply this powder and not the sponge that comes with the product, because I find that a lot of the powder gets stuck in the sponge and the product gets wasted. I really don't like the packaging, but I can't expect more from such an inexpensive product.

on 12/7/2013 11:38:00 PM

I purchased this product when I ran out of the NYC pressed translucent powder and it was out of stock. Great amount of product for the price. I'm not a huge fan of loose powder because I find it can be messy and pressed powders are so much easier to just throw in your bag for touch-ups during the day. Overall a good, cheap loose powder.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a really great powder for the price! I am new to loose powders and I wanted to try a cheap one to see if I liked it or not. It keeps me matte just as long, if not longer than other powders that I have tried and I have had not noticed a white cast or anything like that. The packaging is kind of terrible but I wouldn't expect it to be any better for such an inexpensive product.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This powder is terrible:( I was left with a cakey, powdery, grey cast (for reference I am an NC35, olive skin yellow undertones). Just skip this powder if your looking for something "translucent" head right on over the E.L.F. display and pick up the HD powder it's much more forgiving and milled more finely.

on 7/12/2013 1:49:00 PM

I like this product overall, I love the matte look it gives me when I use it to set my foundation. What is annoying though is the packaging, it's not a screw lid so if you drop it all the product might fly out everywhere. I also noticed that the powder is very fine and it can get pretty messy if you shake too hard..

This is a great powder. It keeps my face matte for a pretty long time. The only thing I don't like is the packaging. The packaging is terrible. If the container turns to the side or upside down for one second, all of the powder comes through the sift thingy out to the top. So when I open it the powder goes everywhere. But besides that I love this stuff.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have been using this for a few years now and just love it. I bought it as a cheaper option to my Laura Mercier powder, for days when I was just running to the store (for example). The packaging isn't great, but if you have an enormous velour powder puff, as I do, then it's just fine. I have a very large velour powder puff by Estee Lauder that I bought at the outlets; it's too large to fit into the lid and sits separately in my makeup drawer. But because it's so wide, I just hold it against the top and turn the whole jar upside down, shaking powder on. Then I slather it onto my skin to set my foundation. It doesn't change the color of my face too much, it's silky, it absorbs oil, and it's crazy cheap. I have bought this several times over and have recommended it to friends.

Recommended for Normal Skin