Maybelline Lash Stiletto

3.2

Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Cera Carnauba (Carnauba Wax), Acacia Senegal, Gum, Acrylates Copolymer, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG/PPG 17/18 Dimethicone, Steareth 20, Phenethyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Sodium Polymethacrylate, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Simethicone, Rayon, Disodium EDTA, Silica, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Silk, May Contain ( /-): CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Mica, CI 75470 (Carmine), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green), Titanium Dioxide, CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was trying to find a drugstore alternative to Lancome Definicils (my favourite, but pricey at $31CDN). I read some reviews online that this was a close match, so I purchased it for $10CDN (not on sale).

I generally look for a mascara to pump up my lashes just a little bit (no delusions about how far a mascara can stretch my tiny lashes), in a formula that doesn't smudge (my skin around the eyes can get a little oily throughout the day), and a brush that small enough to get all of my short fine lashes without getting on my eyelid (that means no thick, giant brushes).

This formula is pretty good, it doesn't get flakey or stiff. My lashes still feel soft after application. It doesn't smudge throughout the day. I had really high hopes for the brush, because that's primarily what I liked about Definicils. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work for me. The wand has both short and long bristles, which I thought would help comb through my lashes, but unfortunately, I feel like the bristles are too sparse, and while trying to get more mascara on my lashes, I would have to get my lashes closer to the shorter bristles, but that meant the longer bristles would brush against my eyelid. I then tried the wiggle method, but my lashes just stuck together, and the long bristles were too sparse to adequately comb out the clumps.

In the end, the effect was fine, and I used this for a few weeks. However, I wouldn't repurchase, because it seemed like a lot of work to get a pretty average-looking lashes. Perhaps this would work better for someone with longer lashes, where the eyelid thing wouldn't be an issue. And yes, there is a distinct... floral/powder fragrance.

on 12/31/2014 11:19:00 AM

I just don't understand this line of mascara. I absolutely fell in love with the volumptuous version but they discontinued it. The regular version does nothing for me though. I don't know if it's the formula or the wand but I just don't get great results from this one. I really wish I had kept my volumptuous wand to try with this version. It's just ok, no great length or volume or any real WOW factor. I won't buy this again.

on 12/18/2014 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I think I can call off the drugstore mascara search for a while. I first tried this mascara around 2008/2009 - whenever it first came out and initially I wasn't impressed b/cof two major issues at the time.The smell was my #1 issue - very strong, chemical odor. #2 - spider legs. Fast forward to last week when I entertained this mascara again. Through the years I have purchased every single mascara out there from drugstore to D&G & Guerlain, Smashbox, etc etc. This mascara still smells awful BUT it gives me a little of all the higher end mascaras rolled into one. The length is amazing, no clumps, it DOES give volume (wiggle the brush from side to side a little). I actually love the brush too, it's long and skinny and has bristles (I have a love/hate relationship with certain plastic wands). It's intense black, great for night but if you go light, it's good for day. It's cheapish for drusgstore and obviously available anywhere. Definintely my favorite drugstore mascara out there right now. My HG "mid/higher-ish" is CK One w/the adjustable PLASTIC wand (I know, you probably hate it). So if you want a lot of length, some volume and don't have a Sephora right next door, try this. PS - I hate waterproof mascaras so I can't speak on that version.

on 12/18/2014 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Mascara gives you length its okay

on 12/6/2014 5:12:00 PM

Very great product for the price! I use this to lengthen my lashes and it works really well.

on 11/6/2014 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Maybelline always seems to know how to make good mascaras. I picked this one up during the 40% off all Maybelline products sale at Rite Aid. The packaging is alluring and sexy. It does remind you of a pair of stiletto heels, hence the name. It's a black tube with red and silver writing. I got the waterproof version, so that it wouldn't budge on my lashes and it would hold a better curl. The smell is a but funky and difficult to describe. It's like smelling an herb or something, but the smell doesn't bother me. The wand is nothing special, but very practical and traditional. It kind of reminds me of the Maybelline Full N' Soft wand, but bigger. As for the formula of the mascara, it is rather nice. It's not as black as I want it to be, but that's okay. It seems to hold a curl VERY well and it really doesn't budge. Even if the wand has a lot of bristles, the outer lashes seem to clump every time I use this. I just use my lash comb to get it out or just get rid of the blob with my fingers. It's weird how that happens, but the mascara is quite nice. It gives plenty of length and doesn't flake at all! When I remove it, it takes a little more eye makeup remover because it has such lasting power, but the mascara is seriously so good that I don't even mind it. Try the mascara for yourself because it's actually quite good!

on 11/6/2014 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

First of all, it's so affordable! I love how it really lengthen my eyelashes when I used it properly. I don't like mascara that gives a clot and big eyelashes, so this is the one! It gives a long and soft eyelashes without looking too much for daily uses. I'm not a fan of heavy make up for school or work activity. I'd prefer to look natural with a little touch of eyeliner, mascara, and soft moist lipstick. The packaging is good. So far this is the best mascara for me.

on 10/22/2014 2:32:00 AM

I really don't understand why this mascara doesn't have as good reviews as I thought. I absolutely love mascara and my lashes are really long and mainly cause of this mascara. I have tried mascaras from the drugstore to big names like mac and I can honestly say this is just as good if not better than most of these big name brands. I love it, it makes my lashes so longg its great. I really recommend this product to everyone its at least worth a try. I been using it for years and I can't go without it for a day. Very very good mascara, give it a try!

on 9/24/2014 11:10:00 AM

I have searched for at least THREE years for a decent drugstore mascara. I used to use a double wand L'Oréal mascara before then that I can't find anymore. So my search began. This one was finally the winner!! First off, the wand doesn't come out wet and goopy like tons of other mascaras. Which, if it's wet, then it just makes your lashes a huge wet spider lash mess. The consistency of lash stiletto is immediately perfect. This mascara adds LENGTH not necessarily volume (volume mascaras=thick goopy spider legs in my opinion). The length looks beautiful and natural, just short of what false lashes give!! I'm serious. It also doesn't flake off over the day. Just a perfect mascara, and a random last ditch effort/hope on my part. Almost gave up on my search, glad I didn't!

on 9/16/2014 4:29:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I love this mascara. I love everything about it. It gives me excellent length! The formula is a nice balance between wet and creamy, and is easy to take off. It stays well and doesn't flake. I absolutely adore the wand. It separates my lashes beautifully. It doesn't do much for curling, especially when your lashes are straight like mine. I recommend curling your lashes before using this mascara. All in all, I really love this mascara. I definitely recommend it!

Popular Mascaras