December 21, 2014 | 1668 users online

Treatments (Face) - 3M - Nexcare Acne Patch

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2014 8:01:00 AM More reviews by Niverren

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If you have been even remotely considering this product, go order it. Right now. It is that good.

Although I have strugged with mild acne since my early 20's, I recently began taking a medication that caused my face to go absolutely bonkers. Blackheads, whiteheads, cysts-- you name it, it showed up on my face, despite my high quality cleansing and treatment regimen. Unfortunately, as others have confessed, I am also a picker and cannot leave spots alone, digging and squeezing and otherwise torturing my skin into one big mess.

Many years ago, I used an overnight product by Clean & Clear that was a little rubbery patch treated with 2% sal acid. I knew those had been discontinued, but thought I might be able to find something similar, hence my search and discovery of this product. I was a bit skeptical when I found the Nexcare patches are unmedicated, but I was also somewhat hopeful as I remembered the old sal acid patches as often as not just irritated the problem rather than solving it.

I hopped on eBay and found these patches from a seller in Hong Kong (the ones I bought are the in the peachy/orange package and have both the large and small dots). The total came to $20 for 4 packs, so $5 each with free shipping. Each pack has 45 dots, so that's 180 dots total or just over 11 cents each.

Like I said, I was skeptical, but I began using these pretty much the moment I ripped open the mailer, and I was amazed by the results! As mentioned, I am having tons of skin problems due to a new medication, so I had all types of yucky stuff to work with. To be specific, I used one large patch on a cluster of 3 icky little whiteheads right in my laugh line, another large patch on a painful cyst on my chin, plus a bunch of small ones on gunky enlarged pores and random annoying little whiteheads (I know this is gross, but want to be specific).

This was during the day, so I was able to monitor the results as time progressed, and I couldn't believe how quickly grossness started to appear on the patches (you can see vileness being sucked out without having to take the patch off). This made perfect sense because all of my spots relating to this medication have seemed to fill up several times with pus (wow, it's making me feel kind of sick to write this). Anyway, I removed the patches after about 4 hours and couldn't believe all the disgusting matter they had sucked out. The corresponding areas of skin were much less inflamed and swollen, and the pain in the cyst had significantly decreased. I washed in the evening as usual, applied serum and moisturizer, gave it about an hour to soak in completely, and then applied another round of dots before bed. In the morning, I could barely tell anything had been wrong. There were still some small marks, but barely noticeable.

Now, this is pretty astounding to me as I have sensitive skin that usually freaks out over any little bit of trauma. Not only did these patches NOT irritate it, they actually calmed down the irritation created by my own poor habits. They have quite literally given me back my skin and allowed me to treat the issues without making the problem worse. I guess the only downside is that they are addictive, because knowing how well they work makes me want to put them on every tiny flaw. But I also tie a lot of my self-esteem to what my face looks like, so in essence I am paying to feel good about myself, and it's hard to put a price on that. :-)

Seriously, give them a shot. I think you'll be happy you did.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by missxcindii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ordered one to try out. Went through it very quickly. When you have 3-5 active pimples night after night this'll last you 2 weeks max. I was getting giant painful zits on the face for awhile. I know you're not supposed to pop them so I just put these little patches on once I saw a head. Thankfully my skin has cleared up quite a bit. I have 1 or 2 that tends to linger a little longer. These always seem to help open the pore and clear out the gunk in it. I even wear this during the day sometimes. It is noticeable but I'd rather have a patch on my face for the day than I big raging pimple that looks ready to burst. Most spots take 2 treatments to completely disappear. I've already repurchased 2 new packs.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by crissy42o

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

These things are hit and miss for me. Sometimes they work really well and bring down the inflammation in a cystic pimple within a few hours. Sometimes they suck gunk out of whiteheads. Other times they do nothing. Once I had an allergic reaction and ended up with a lump the size of a dime. I ordered a different type of them on eBay (same brand), and I'm hoping to have better luck with them. We'll see!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2014 8:18:00 PM More reviews by kimma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

These acne patches have been an absolute skincare miracle for me since discovering them. I honestly feel robbed for all the years I've been struggling with popping pimples when I could have just used these. I am a picker.. if something is bumpy on my face, I will pick it. These patches have stopped me picking, which means I rarely get scarring or post-acne hyperpigmentation anymore.

The patches only work on pimples that have a head or opening on them (even if it's just the headless opening on cystic pimples which secrete clear fluid). I stick the small size on little whiteheads and save the big size for more problematic acne. The patches will NOT stick on skin that has any product on it, so I clean my face, pop the patch on and then apply my toner/serum/moisturiser around the patch afterward. The patches stick really well when applied like this, and I make sure that the patch is firmly on by pressing it down a little. I use them mainly during the night and do not find that they move at all during sleep (even the small ones stick down and stay down).

Upon waking in the morning, I remove the patch to find all the gunk sucked out and on the patch, while the area of my skin that it was applied to is now flat. I usually have a bit of redness where the pimple was (although it is light and not as inflamed), and sometimes a reddish ring around the edge where the sticker was. For me, this discolouration disappears within a few hours to a day, and the area of skin remains flat.

Although there is some residue upon removal, this is gone after I wash my face. I use the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser in the mornings and this, although not a strong cleanser, is more than enough to remove any residue. I do not find that my foundation applies any worse in the areas I applied the patch than usual (I use a BB cream or liquid foundation).

I seriously love these and will not be without them again! I bought them from a shop in Japan (although I think they are Korean), although I will now have to order from eBay as they aren't available in Australia. I have given 3 stars for price because although they were dirt cheap in Japan, they cost about $7-10 for a box of 40 to Australia, and the box is mainly small ones with around 12 bigger patches. Still, they are so incredibly worth it for me, not sure why they haven't worked so well for other people but I apply to both small and big pimples on clean skin and it absolutely sucks the crap out of them!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2014 11:44:00 AM More reviews by m33m4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

These patches are amazing. As reviewers have noted you do need to wait until your pimples have come to a head, but once they have these will suck their gross insides dry. I always get huge hormonal pimples, these have worked better than any drug/department store spot treatment I've ever used (I've used squillions). They are a godsend for pickers, like myself, and save you from any self-induced scarring. I personally use them after steaming, or a hot shower. In conjunction with BP, neem masks and neostrata these patches have played a huge part in majorly improving my (severely acne prone) skin. They just flatten everything out so you don't have to worry about the impossible task of concealing bumps under your makeup. You might get little red circles sometimes, but they will fade in a day or two and are sooo much better than a scar. Any residue should wash off with a decent cleaner, I've never had a problem with it. The price on ebay is actually pretty steep considering how quickly you go through a pack if you have problem skin. I buy mine on ebay if desperate, but as soon as someone I know goes anywhere in Asia I beg them to bulk buy me these (soooo cheap overseas). If you know anyone going overseas who is lovely enough to do the same I would recommend it, you'll save heaps if you're a regular user. Definitely 5 stars. They do exactly what they claim to do and are really worth trying.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2014 7:21:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

I don't use these very much but they do work for me! Particularly, I use them on pimples that I feel are going to grow into massive ones, or existing spots that have the white centre. Used overnight, these draw out the oil and pus and you can actually see it on the sticker. I've found that these really stop pimples from growing out of control, or to 'pop' existing ones without actually popping them and causing a spread of bacteria.

I also have no problems with the adhesive power of these. They stay on all nigh through sleep but are removed painlessly the next morning. I recommend applying these on a freshly cleansed face that's lightly moisturised so the oils on your face don't stop the stickers from slipping.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2014 4:32:00 AM More reviews by cocoacloud

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

There seems to be a lot of negative reviews on these acne patches, about how they don't work, leave scars and residue behind - but because I've had such success with them, I'd like to take some time to explain the science behind them.

Nexcare acne patches work because they are essentially hydrocolloid dressings. Hydrocolloid dressings are usually adhesive gels that promote wound healing by absorbing pus and decreasing swelling. They are used a lot for actual skin wounds, ulcers and even eczema. Now because this form of dressing does not soften or break down the tissue of your skin, don't expect it to break through the head of your pimple that has not yet been brought to the surface! It would only work if the pimple is brought to a head and the head has been popped. This way, it can actually pull out the pus and leave the area flat. Also, give it time to work. Stick them on before you sleep and leave it on overnight. Make sure to stick it on DRY skin free of any toner/moisturizer because if you don't, then it will simply be absorbing your moisturizer and not your acne.

I must have repurchased packs of these at least 15 times. I've had a lot of success with them - it is a godsend. When my pores are big and clogged, I use these sometimes to suck out excess oil and it works like a dream. I find that it decreases the amount of acne scars I have because I'm no longer poking or picking at my skin, these babies do all the work for me. Some reviewers have said that it leaves a white circular spot behind - I do acknowledge that it does sometimes, when you've had them stuck on for a long period of time, but it fades within 3 minutes max. Any longer then I think you may have encountered a fake product.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/2/2014 8:59:00 PM More reviews by jlin0913

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this through ebay for around 10 dollars. It came with 36 stickers (big and small). I've been breaking out a lot with painful cystic acne over the break (most likely due to diet and lack of sleep) so I was happy to receive this in the mail right before my break out. The small stickers come off while I am sleeping, the bigger stickers stay on my skin much better. I've used these when my pimples begin to surface and the sticker did absolutely nothing - doesn't shrink my pimple, nor decrease the inflammation. I've also trialed while the white head has surfaced - same thing, it did not help at all. Overall, it did not help at all hence I will not repurchase. I can also see how one would use an entire pack over the week considering it only comes with 36.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/27/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by PoetCrazy

it does nothing.. feel nothing .

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2013 3:47:00 AM More reviews by Ihavequestions

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have such mixed feelings about these. First, do not put these on a zit that doesn't have a head or hasn't already been popped. Seriously. If you just have a bump on your face with no head on it, putting these on will no help in my experience. But the thing is, if your zit DOES have a head or has been popped, these will draw out the pus if you wear them overnight. I mean, I had such a bad cyst - one of the worst I've ever had - but I had been able to pop it and a lot came out. But it was brand new pus, the really runny kind that I knew there would be more of in the zit, do you know what I mean? I wore one of these overnight, and by the next morning, the patch had practically lifted off of my face it had so much gunk in it. Which, of course, is very satisfying. And I was THRILLED that my zit was so much flatter.

Here's my REAL problem with them, though. RESIDUE! For me, for some reason (even though I've read the reviews for this and haven't seen this mentioned much if at all), these leave a HUGE amount of residue. Like a big, patch shaped layer of gunk that is somehow makeup repellant. It's like a Makeup Forcefield. Which, hey, not a huge deal on some parts of your face. But on a big, nasty, bruised, zit, or really ANY kind of zit that you're going to be applying one of these patches to, aren't you going to need some makeup to cover that sucker up? And I can't get it off for anything! Not alcohol, not oil, not manual exfoliation! It stays on for like 2-3 days! Yesterday I was shame faced to walk around with a round circular not totally uncovered but weirdly different patch (perfectly round!) of skin on my face that was all bruised and horrible looking. So, while I'll probably keep using these, I love them AND I hate them. Just be advised. Maybe it's just my skin that causes these to form a Makeup Forcefield, but be advised it could happen to you.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No