April 19, 2014 | 1115 users online

Styling Products - Redken - Iron Silk 07 ultra straightening spray

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2012 11:20:00 PM More reviews by canada126

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

The first couple of times I used this product, my hair felt dry and straw-like. My stylist had recommended it because my hair was pretty damaged, so I persevered. I now use less of this product and after I spray it, I run another pump of Moroccanoil or Kerastase Elixir Ultime through my hair before I use my flat iron. This seems to have solved the dry straw problem. I have also noticed that my hair is less damaged; I used to be overdue for a trim at six weeks and my hair still looks healthy six weeks later. I took points off for it not being a stand-alone product and for the pump - it takes too much effort to pump the stuff out.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/28/2011 1:07:00 AM More reviews by Aimee87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Couldn't wait to throw this out the minute it got small enough to just do away with. It left my hair very dry, dull looking, and so stiff I could break my hair with a snap. I defiantly do not recommend, and I'm really starting to dislike the Redkin line, this is literally the third product from them that I have immensely disliked.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2011 10:03:00 PM More reviews by makeupfinder21

I really like this spray. I does exactly what it claims to. My hair is softer and shinier after I use this while straightening my hair. Sometimes, when I don't straighten my hair, I still use this cause it makes my hair so much softer. I don't know if it really protects my hair.. but I have noticed that since using this, my hair isn't waxy after blow drying.
But, I don't like how much this is. I don't feel that it works as well as it should for the 23 bucks I spent on it.
It can get sticky sometimes. And I find that it makes my roots greasy earlier in the day than usual.
But overall, its pretty good! I would buy again, but only if its on sale.
(And yes, the spray nozzle sucks. I find if I use a lot of pressure on it and go fast, it works better.)
UPDATE:// I've been using this for about a month, and I have to change this from four lippies to five. Whoever reviewed this, and didn't like it: well read this. If you spray the product all over hair BEFORE straightening, this will work a lot better, and you won't have greasy hair. This spray makes my hair very shiny and soft. It also acts as a hairspray, and keeps hair styled throughout the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2011 8:28:00 PM More reviews by manamana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product after seeing my stylist use it on my hair. I have tried a number of heat protectants and bounced around from one to another. Honestly, I will probably continue that journey after using this as well.

Over all, I don't have any major complaints. I think it smells funny out of the bottle, but once you apply heat I actually quite enjoy the scent of this product.

I also thought it worked fine but it is important to keep in mind that my hair is incredibly prone to getting frizzy and straightening it is a long, gruelling process. Each year (I generally only straighten my hair in the winter) I play around with my hair routine and stick to some sort of regimen each year. I have to admit that using this product through out the winter last year, may have been a reason for why my hair felt so dry and frailed later (of course, there are other factors to consider as well). I only thought of that as a possibility after reading many reviews here.

Either way, I still have about half a bottle left and will continue using it till I am done with it. Once I'm finished I'll probably jump over and try a more affordable drug store alternative.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2011 12:28:00 AM More reviews by robotloove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hated this. Had high hopes, but this left my hair a stiff, stringy, tangled mess. Tried using varied amounts, but ended with the same result. First and only Redken product that I have ever returned.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2011 3:41:00 PM More reviews by Endit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff sucks and that's all there is to it.

The main problem is it's a spray with hold. I thought that would be a benefit, not having to use hairspray and I could achieve more hold with lower heat. That's true but being a spray is the ultimate fail. As a spray, you can't really tell where it's been applied. I mean you know where you spray it and such but it's SO easy to overapply. If I try to use less, I'm concerned that I'm not getting adequate protection, and you cannot really work it through your hair with your hands since it's a spray.

And since it has hold, if you overapply it, well you know what happens there. Also since it has hold, you need to apply it to each section as you work. This slows things down since you need to keep putting the iron down and grabbing a comb. It'd be easier and save time to use a non hold heat spray/lotion and then set it with hairspray once finally done.

Also it just doesn't make hair feel good. It's dry, doesn't have shine... just feels, coated/"sticky"/"gummy". Hard to explain but it's not starchy like Spray Starch. And the "sticky" quality also easily gets on on my iron, hands, comb, etc. Maybe if you use the perfect amount you can avoid this but it's too hard to find that and I DO comb through and it still happens ocassionally. Make sure you really comb this stuff through.

The smell is also horrible. It smells like straight chemicals and mens cologne. Why add fragrance at all if this is gonna be the end result? I really cannot get over the choice of fragrance (not to mention all the harmful ingredients that fragrance is composed of).

Speaking of ingredients, interesting things but also lacking. First ingredient: alcohol denat: not sure about it's effects on hair, but if it's like skin, then it's not good. And somehow it always ends up onto part of my face when doing the slides. It does have "Potassium dimethicone peg-7 panthenyl phosphate" which I've never seen before and and "peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil" as well as Lysine HCL, but those aren't enough to outweight everything else.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2011 7:14:00 AM More reviews by ninaulrich

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Had this two years ago and I hated it. It always made my hair stiff, tangled and dry. Certainly not a silky feeling! Didn't feel that it improved my hair's condition at all. Ended up giving it to my sister. Luckily Redken is so cheap compared to other salon brands.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/19/2011 1:21:00 PM More reviews by nathaliejcormier

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a decent heat protectant. I don't really like the smell - to me it smells like old man's cologne! I like that it doesn't feel sticky or crunchy, but the smell is a big turn off. I like Biosilk much more.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2010 12:11:00 AM More reviews by dany06

This product is like icing on the cake. I use nioxin thermal bliss as a leave-in conditioner and either satinwear 02 or blown away 09 for blowdrying my hair. This produces super shiny soft hair. Adding the iron silk just makes my hair look like I have a bkt. Its so smooth and shiny. It doesnt even look like my hair. It also smells really good and lingers. It smells clean like a body wash of some sort. It is so not like hairspray and is very combable. I have only ever used it from 6 to 8 inches away and have never had problems.

I became hooked on this product when I went to Ulta 8 months ago. the stylist used a cocktail of satinwear and smooth down serum for the blowdry. The she used iron silk for the flatiron. My hair was just as straight as getting a bkt and I fell in love. I didnt buy those products right away because I was afraid of alchol in products and convinced that serums were all that I needed. Well somewhere 6 months down the road I found out that my hair likes less serum if any at all. It also likes really light products. So this stuff is wonderful. I dont ever go back to my simple leave-inconditioner and serum because this is soooooo much better. The shine is outrageous and my hair is so smooth and flowy. It also really reduces the volume of my hair which I really desire.

i would totally buy this again. Im going to try out mizani thermasmooth shine extend anti humidity spritz some time soon to see how it compares. I hear it works just as good but smeels even better.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/2/2010 12:00:00 PM More reviews by rosekiss16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I thought I would like this flat iron spray since I love the Redken shampoos and conditioners for my colored curly hair. Did not like!! I tried spraying a tiny bit in my bangs and they would always come out stiff and dry like I used hair spray. I also tried a little bit at a time on the rest of my hair and it was NOT silky. I will keep this in the closet as a back up, because it was over $15 and I hate throwing this stuff away. I will be going back to my CHI Iron Guard