July 28, 2014 | 917 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sephora - Sephora by OPI Top Coat

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2010 12:11:00 PM More reviews by nobunny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

again, total garbage. does not add shine, does not help with drying, has poor consistency, a cheap brush, and chips within 24 hours. i would recommend Poshe Seche Vite (minimal shrinkage, high gloss, thick consistency) or Barielle's Ultra Speed Dry Manicure Extender (no shrinkage, med-hi gloss, thinner consistency). let sephora do colors, but let someone else actually serve the utility function your nails deserve.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/29/2010 9:07:00 PM More reviews by jawjuhh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Horrid smell, takes forever to dry, and while I appreciate the shine there are much much much better top coats out there. This is also fairly expensive so that is also a negative

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2009 9:35:00 PM More reviews by kumoi

I bought this top coat when it just came out in Sephora stores. I tried it on and it takes a long time for it to dry. I didn't really like the brush and the lack of shine that it gives to my nails.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/13/2009 3:16:00 PM More reviews by kalinka

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have given up on this stuff. Its does not have a high shine to it but I am OK with that. What is terrible is that it does not dry. I have tried to put it on very thin but ended up ruining my mani as I was not fully coating the nail, when it's applied at the normal thickness it takes forever to dry.. No one can sit there that long. It ruined my mani yesterday because I began doing things after waiting an hour and it was still a little soft. I absolutely will not buy this again.. actually i wont even try to use it again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2009 3:08:00 AM More reviews by Hollytron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can definitely understand where the other reviews are coming from when they say that it is not very shiny or quick drying. I actually like how thin it is because I don't like *too* much shine; just a protective, polished looking coat, but DAYUM this takes a long time to dry! I ended up having to take off my polish because I had to go and my nails just weren't dry... I might like it better with drops... but for now, it's so-so.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2009 7:32:00 PM More reviews by withdiamonds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

People are saying that they get bubbles, but this happens with all top coats when you apply a layer that is too thick!! Air bubbles build up because of the exorbitant amount of product use in one swipe. If you must have an extremely thick top coat, add a couple extra layers. This stuff dries very fast for me. This, to me, is as good as any other top coat! It provides a lovely shine. The brush is nice and big.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2008 12:52:00 PM More reviews by PinkFix

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Horrible horrible horrible. I used this over Chanel nail polish and it ruined my manicure!! What a waste!! The top coat bubbled even after waiting 10-15 minutes for my polish to dry... and hours after my nails were done, I was getting smudges and dents. So now I've got a Chanel manicure with a dull, bubbled, smudged, non-shiney finish. I won't be using this again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2008 10:24:00 PM More reviews by suggrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Sephora by OPI's top coat is free of dibutyl phthalate, toluene, and formaldehyde. The brush is decent to use. But those are really the only positive points I can think of for this product. It dries slightly shiny, but I daresay Seche Vite, Poshe, and Revlon Colorstay top coat all dry much shinier. Maybe with multiple coats of this top coat, you'll see more shine. SOPI top coat is also very, very thin. The three other top coats I mentioned are thicker, which probably helps explain why they're all shinier, too. The thinness of SOPI's top coat may not lend itself well to long term wear. Since I'm not going to bother wearing this for more than a few days, I can't speak to its wear. But I assume that it will be more prone to chipping because it is thinner.

The worst part about using this top coat? It's not only not quick drying, it's incredibly slow drying! If you're going to use this by itself, with no quick dry sprays or drops, you should plan on having a good amount of time to sit around and wait for this to dry. I smudged a few fingers after I thought my polish was dry. The reviews at Sephora.com claim this is fast drying, but I definitely disagree! For US$9, I really expected a thicker, shinier, slightly more fast drying top coat. I don't think this top coat is worth buying- you can definitely find a better top coat for less money.

ETA: I had tipwear and chips in my polish not even 24 hours after applying this top coat. The only reason I haven't given this product a 1 lippie rating is because I didn't use a base coat. I assume the wear wouldn't be too much better with a base coat, though. This top coat would still be thin and slow to dry. Thumbs down on this product!