July 31, 2014 | 2069 users online

Cleansers - Shea Terra Organics - Rose Hip & Red Bush African Black Soap Face Wash

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by suliettejucks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

If you've got acne-prone skin like I do, I would give this product a try! I've been using Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Cleanser which is amazing but I wanted to try a product that was all natural. Shea Terra's Black Soap is absolutely amazing! I use it once a day at night and I can feel it tightening my pores. I have recently switched to using it every other day (avoiding my nose area because it dries out and irritates that area). If you are considering purchasing this product, I would also look into purchasing a moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 1:50:00 AM More reviews by sugaraddictt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This cleanser, along with a facial regime of pure moroccan rose water and argan and baobab oil from shea terra, changed the life of my skin! I have combination skin, mostly oily on the surface and dry underneath, because the face produces more oil when it's dry. The overzealous pores on my t-zone and cheeks makes them a constant cooking bed for blackheads.

I do agree that it can be drying, as the very first time I used it, it left my face feeling tight and dry and slightly red, but it was without a doubt that my face was brighter and clearer than it has ever been! Not even a $100 facial visit could have achieved that. Right after I stepped out of the shower, I'd spritz on Moroccan rose water from the same brand and it soothes and calms my skin instantly. If it's night time, I'd apply argan oil to my face. It absorbs much better after the black soap has rid off the dead skin, so it's kind of synergistic to use them together.

It's been 1 and half months now since I started on this regime, and my skin is looking so much better than before! I think the condition of my face has improved and is used to the black soap as it does not feel as dry and tight as the first 2 times I used it. Together with the argan oil, my face is moisturized from within, its smoother and clearer, and my nose does not produce as much blackheads as before. And these days, just a little makeup base is sufficed to make me look like i've got good skin!

If you have dry skin, I'd recommend you to give it a try but arm yourself with a good moisturizer/oil. I love it so much that I managed to convince 8 of my friends to try it, and now they all love it so much (they all have different skin types)!

If you have dry skin and worry about this drying out your skin,

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Katras

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm not sure if I'm going to repurchase this or not. The texture is part liquid soap/ gel, making it slightly difficult to work with, and is best for light makeup removal. It didn't cause breakouts, but didn't help with fending off those monthly menstral ones either. I'm not really sure about the microdermabrasion aspect it touts, as I have pretty dry skin and the only thing that works for me is a nubby face towel or scrub. On the plus side, I love the fact that it is natural and biodegradable and doesn't have an offensive smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2012 7:37:00 PM More reviews by kellis155

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just ordered my 3rd bottle of this stuff. I've got dry, acne prone skin. I'm not going to lie, even using this product (and the full line of Shea Terra) I still have to use a prescription strength acne medication (benza-clin is my HG for acne), however I do enjoy this face wash.

Anyway, I use this in the morning with my clarisonic. Love the stuff and will probably continue to re-buy. After cleansing, I apply the Rose-Esther-C facial mist, benza-clin and desert date cream. At night I use the buttermilk honey face wash and the night oil. Love all the products and my skin looks good. As I mentioned, I do still get breakouts but can definitely keep them under control with this regimen. These days I only get occasional small white heads, no more cystic, painful pimples.

Although, I really would love to know how everyone applies this? Do you apply to wet or dry skin? I dampen my skin then apply, as it lathers up SO MUCH BETTER on damp fingertips. I've tried using dry skin and found it's so hard to lather and smooth around my face. Wondering if it's just me...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 12:14:00 AM More reviews by clamster

I got a sample of this and I had no idea what the product was, I used as directed which is massage on leave for about 10 minutes and rinse off. I was pleasantly surprised out how clean my face was and nice it felt and the product rinses off clean with no residue. I have been using this twice a week as a mask and definitely recommend this. It's a nice product that worked, I have combination skin, I wouldn't recommend it for dry skin. I then researched the brand and saw what good reviews this product has. I would definitely recommend this. It's just a little expensive.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2012 11:03:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This burned my skin to no end. I was red/dry & skin was literally peeling off of my face after using it. I originally tried it due to all the great reviews on YouTube. It's supposedly good for sensitive skin, its obviously not.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 4:47:00 PM More reviews by pink1223

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is hands down the best facial cleanser I have ever used. I have never found anything that has improved my skin like this has! I have oily, somewhat acne-prone skin (I usually get hormonal breakouts, meaning a few annoying zits a month). This works amazingly well at getting rid of dead skin. This is how I use it for extra exfoliating power: I put it on as sort of a mask and really massage it in, wait a few minutes (also great to apply to dry skin before getting in the shower), then as I'm rinsing it off, I can feel a lot of dead skin coming up. So I use a microfiber cloth and scrub those areas where the dead skin is lifting really well (but don't overscrub). Then after my skin feels smooth, I will rinse thoroughly. It really does leave my skin absolutely squeaky clean...but doesn't have that tight feeling. Amazing. I use my Dickinson's witch hazel toner afterwards and moisturize. I have found that if I can feel a pimple coming up, using this cleanser really takes the guts out of it (so to speak). And if I do have pimples that come to the surface, they heal so much faster when I use this wash. I am on my second bottle and I've been using it for 4.5 months. It is a must-try!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 8:28:00 AM More reviews by aamna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolutely amazing! My skin looks great after using this cleanser and I feel good about using an all-natural product by a company which uses sustainable ingredients and promotes free trade.

Shea Terra Organics Rose Hip & Red Bush African Black Soap Face Wash acts as a face wash and as an exfoliant. It dissolves dead skin cells and makes them easy to remove.

I never simply wash it off immediately after applying it to my skin - I leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse it off. I use my fingers to gently massage my still moist skin in circular motion so as to remove the layer of dead skin cells that the soap has dissolved. After rinsing my face again I can instantly see clearer and fresher looking skin.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2011 7:52:00 PM More reviews by SIPEDRO

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I like it, it's just a bit too runny for me. I will use the whole bottle & update. No break-outs so far. It truly does leave your face squeaky clean!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2011 10:31:00 PM More reviews by Twinkly1216

While I haven't tried the rose hip one, I have tried the mint and the lemongrass. I have to say this is another one of those items that considering the cost, isn't worth the hype.

The rose hip african black soap is the only one of these with a pump (I believe). The other two are squeeze bottles with the little caps that you press in to reveal a tiny opening where you squeeze the product out - like lotion bottles! The reason I mention this is because this is a very...dense...product. It doesn't squeeze out easily.
Once out it looks almost like black tar on your hand and it's not like a lot of other cleansers where you can rub your hands together and it will disappear into lather. This requires quite a bit of rubbing to turn all of the soap into a lather. Typically I will squeeze onto my palm, rub my hands together to try to get it to lather up, look at it, and then use my fingers to rub the remaining stuff stuck on my palm (looks like a brown stain).

All of that would leave it at 4 lippies if it was a great product but I don't know...it's a lot of work for a product that doesn't do a lot.

1. This does not get rid of makeup. Now I know that cleansers aren't supposed to get rid of makeup and we're supposed to use makeup remover before the cleanser but I don't follow that rule if I'm in the shower. In the shower I'll just use a cleanser - twice if I have to. This does NOT get rid of makeup. Not even using it twice. And using it just once? Forget about it. I have NEVER used a cleanser that was so inefficient at removing makeup. All of my other cleansers will remove all my makeup in one or two goes, not this.

2. This gives you the squeaky clean feeling but the odd thing is that your face isn't actually clean. When I try new cleansers I always do (my term) the fingernail test to get an idea of how good of a cleanser it is. All I do is use my fingernail and run it along my face (usually the dimple line) applying enough pressure to be able to scrape off leftover makeup or whatnot if there is any but not so hard as to make a mark or be uncomfortable. If there is nothing under my nail then I'm good to go. No matter how clean my face feels - this has never passed the fingernail test on the first go. Even when I'm not wearing makeup and only have on lotion from the night before or something. Sometimes if I'm wearing makeup, even on the second try I still find stuff under my fingernail. I ALWAYS make sure to use a toner with this cleanser.

Now for the good stuff. While I can't comment on the rose hip one, the lemongrass one really does smell like lemongrass (lemongrass and lemon are different, just thought I'd mention since I saw a youtube review where the girl expected lemon). The mint one also smells like mint and maybe a little bit like chocolate? While I didn't feel any tingling from the lemongrass, the mint really does leave your face feeling cold. Like if you chew a mint gum and it makes your mouth feel cold even though it's not, that's what it does to your face. Felt REALLY uncomfortable on my eyes the first time but now that I'm used to it, I like it. Wakes you up. :)

Also, this doesn't dry my face out and I have dry/normal skin depending on the season. So that's good....all-in-all this is really a take it or leave it kind of product IMO.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No