August 23, 2014 | 1775 users online

Cleansers - Shea Terra Organics - Rose Hip & Red Bush African Black Soap Face Wash

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2013 7:41:00 PM More reviews by BeachBunniee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I waited until I finished an entire bottle before writing this review. I'm happy to say I'm in love. My skin has never looked so refined and smooth. It's like the texture and appearance of my skin has been completely transformed. I was so skeptical about this cleanser at first...I mean, it's black and gooey and stinks. The only reason I purchased it was because of the rave reviews I saw on Birchbox. After 3 weeks of use my pores are smaller, my texture is smooth, my skin radiant. Again, I am in love. A year of prescription retinoids and vitamin C serums didn't even come close to the results I got from this.
In the AM I use it as a normal cleanser and at night I leave it on my face for 1-2 minutes before washing it off (it can be used as a mask too!). If I use it on my back or chest for blemishes I leave it on for 5 minutes before hopping in the shower. It is definitely very drying due to the intense daily exfoliating and complete skin overhaul, but I use cerave PM after and it takes care of the dryness. If you are looking for something to reduce pore size, refine your skin, and take care of discoloration I'd suggest giving this a try. Negatives: such a small bottle for the price!
I have combination, sensitive, acne-prone skin with spots of eczema for reference!
**This review is for the Shea Terra Organics Rose Hips Black Soap Deep Pore Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2013 8:26:00 PM More reviews by risathompson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I would not recommend this product anywhere near sensitive skin. The first time I use this, my face BURNED!!!!! However, I persisted on using this since i paid $18 for it. What result after rinsing it off is soft, smooth, velvety and clean skin. It was quite an irony for me.

I saw this 3 months ago on a blogger post. She has similar skin to me, dry-normal skin that is slightly dehydrated, mildly sensitive and she use this to tackle her breakout. Since i've been suffering from adult acne for almost over a year, I was quick to buy this hoping that it would finally be the HG product I was looking for all this time.

The packaging is sleek, simple and the bottle is made of glass. It feel luxurious to me, but I kept this in my cabinet and not in the shower. The cleanser is a gel-like and quite slippery. When I first use it slip right off my face and into the sink when I try to apply it on my face. It has an herbal/dirt like scent. It was offensive the first time I use it, but does not bother me anymore. If you are used to synthetically fragrance product, the smell might be off-putting at first.

This product lather very well, and the foam is white when the cleanser is this dark brown gel. The instruction recommend using this twice, first as a 5 minute mask, then a second time as cleanse. And I got to tell you, there is no way in hell i'll be doing that. This cleanser is serious stuff. ONCE is fine, honestly. Unless you got really tough/ durable skin and is extremely oily. Half a pump is more than enough for me. I massage it between my palm first to create foam then lather it on my face. It feel much better and less irritating this way. And since then my face has not burn. I do leave this on for 5 minute then rinse this off. I used this once to remove make-up and it was fine but I always follow up with another cleanser (sorry it's a habit).

About its acne-fighting capability, sorry I really couldn't attest to that. I still break out when i switch to this cleanser. But I didnt use this every day either because it's too much for my skin. I use this twice a week max. However, I do notice I break out a little less, and my acne is not as painful. When I was having some active pimple and use this cleanser as a mask, I could really feel the acne spot burn, so I guess it was burning off the bacteria? hehe

I use this in conjunction with a lot of stuff, and i was able to keep my breakout at bay now. I would not say this was THE ONE but it definitely help in my acne battle somewhat. I rate this highly because of how unbelievable soft and smooth my skin is after cleansing. As my face is the type that doesnt produce oil at all, I make sure to slab on a cream afterward because any cleanser make my skin feel a tad naked and dry (even cetaphil). But if you got oily skin, I think this would be perfect. It does really get rid of all the grime and dirt and leave face extremely clean and soft.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by misuny77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My skin is getting smoother. It's amazing.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by suliettejucks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

If you've got acne-prone skin like I do, I would give this product a try! I've been using Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Cleanser which is amazing but I wanted to try a product that was all natural. Shea Terra's Black Soap is absolutely amazing! I use it once a day at night and I can feel it tightening my pores. I have recently switched to using it every other day (avoiding my nose area because it dries out and irritates that area). If you are considering purchasing this product, I would also look into purchasing a moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 1:50:00 AM More reviews by sugaraddictt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This cleanser, along with a facial regime of pure moroccan rose water and argan and baobab oil from shea terra, changed the life of my skin! I have combination skin, mostly oily on the surface and dry underneath, because the face produces more oil when it's dry. The overzealous pores on my t-zone and cheeks makes them a constant cooking bed for blackheads.

I do agree that it can be drying, as the very first time I used it, it left my face feeling tight and dry and slightly red, but it was without a doubt that my face was brighter and clearer than it has ever been! Not even a $100 facial visit could have achieved that. Right after I stepped out of the shower, I'd spritz on Moroccan rose water from the same brand and it soothes and calms my skin instantly. If it's night time, I'd apply argan oil to my face. It absorbs much better after the black soap has rid off the dead skin, so it's kind of synergistic to use them together.

It's been 1 and half months now since I started on this regime, and my skin is looking so much better than before! I think the condition of my face has improved and is used to the black soap as it does not feel as dry and tight as the first 2 times I used it. Together with the argan oil, my face is moisturized from within, its smoother and clearer, and my nose does not produce as much blackheads as before. And these days, just a little makeup base is sufficed to make me look like i've got good skin!

If you have dry skin, I'd recommend you to give it a try but arm yourself with a good moisturizer/oil. I love it so much that I managed to convince 8 of my friends to try it, and now they all love it so much (they all have different skin types)!

If you have dry skin and worry about this drying out your skin,

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Katras

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm not sure if I'm going to repurchase this or not. The texture is part liquid soap/ gel, making it slightly difficult to work with, and is best for light makeup removal. It didn't cause breakouts, but didn't help with fending off those monthly menstral ones either. I'm not really sure about the microdermabrasion aspect it touts, as I have pretty dry skin and the only thing that works for me is a nubby face towel or scrub. On the plus side, I love the fact that it is natural and biodegradable and doesn't have an offensive smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2012 7:37:00 PM More reviews by kellis155

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just ordered my 3rd bottle of this stuff. I've got dry, acne prone skin. I'm not going to lie, even using this product (and the full line of Shea Terra) I still have to use a prescription strength acne medication (benza-clin is my HG for acne), however I do enjoy this face wash.

Anyway, I use this in the morning with my clarisonic. Love the stuff and will probably continue to re-buy. After cleansing, I apply the Rose-Esther-C facial mist, benza-clin and desert date cream. At night I use the buttermilk honey face wash and the night oil. Love all the products and my skin looks good. As I mentioned, I do still get breakouts but can definitely keep them under control with this regimen. These days I only get occasional small white heads, no more cystic, painful pimples.

Although, I really would love to know how everyone applies this? Do you apply to wet or dry skin? I dampen my skin then apply, as it lathers up SO MUCH BETTER on damp fingertips. I've tried using dry skin and found it's so hard to lather and smooth around my face. Wondering if it's just me...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 12:14:00 AM More reviews by clamster

I got a sample of this and I had no idea what the product was, I used as directed which is massage on leave for about 10 minutes and rinse off. I was pleasantly surprised out how clean my face was and nice it felt and the product rinses off clean with no residue. I have been using this twice a week as a mask and definitely recommend this. It's a nice product that worked, I have combination skin, I wouldn't recommend it for dry skin. I then researched the brand and saw what good reviews this product has. I would definitely recommend this. It's just a little expensive.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2012 11:03:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This burned my skin to no end. I was red/dry & skin was literally peeling off of my face after using it. I originally tried it due to all the great reviews on YouTube. It's supposedly good for sensitive skin, its obviously not.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 4:47:00 PM More reviews by pink1223

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is hands down the best facial cleanser I have ever used. I have never found anything that has improved my skin like this has! I have oily, somewhat acne-prone skin (I usually get hormonal breakouts, meaning a few annoying zits a month). This works amazingly well at getting rid of dead skin. This is how I use it for extra exfoliating power: I put it on as sort of a mask and really massage it in, wait a few minutes (also great to apply to dry skin before getting in the shower), then as I'm rinsing it off, I can feel a lot of dead skin coming up. So I use a microfiber cloth and scrub those areas where the dead skin is lifting really well (but don't overscrub). Then after my skin feels smooth, I will rinse thoroughly. It really does leave my skin absolutely squeaky clean...but doesn't have that tight feeling. Amazing. I use my Dickinson's witch hazel toner afterwards and moisturize. I have found that if I can feel a pimple coming up, using this cleanser really takes the guts out of it (so to speak). And if I do have pimples that come to the surface, they heal so much faster when I use this wash. I am on my second bottle and I've been using it for 4.5 months. It is a must-try!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No