April 18, 2014 | 1523 users online

Cleansers - Shea Terra Organics - Shea Terra Organics Rose Hip & Red Bush African Black Soap Face Wash

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 12:14:00 AM More reviews by clamster

I got a sample of this and I had no idea what the product was, I used as directed which is massage on leave for about 10 minutes and rinse off. I was pleasantly surprised out how clean my face was and nice it felt and the product rinses off clean with no residue. I have been using this twice a week as a mask and definitely recommend this. It's a nice product that worked, I have combination skin, I wouldn't recommend it for dry skin. I then researched the brand and saw what good reviews this product has. I would definitely recommend this. It's just a little expensive.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2012 11:03:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This burned my skin to no end. I was red/dry & skin was literally peeling off of my face after using it. I originally tried it due to all the great reviews on YouTube. It's supposedly good for sensitive skin, its obviously not.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 4:47:00 PM More reviews by pink1223

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is hands down the best facial cleanser I have ever used. I have never found anything that has improved my skin like this has! I have oily, somewhat acne-prone skin (I usually get hormonal breakouts, meaning a few annoying zits a month). This works amazingly well at getting rid of dead skin. This is how I use it for extra exfoliating power: I put it on as sort of a mask and really massage it in, wait a few minutes (also great to apply to dry skin before getting in the shower), then as I'm rinsing it off, I can feel a lot of dead skin coming up. So I use a microfiber cloth and scrub those areas where the dead skin is lifting really well (but don't overscrub). Then after my skin feels smooth, I will rinse thoroughly. It really does leave my skin absolutely squeaky clean...but doesn't have that tight feeling. Amazing. I use my Dickinson's witch hazel toner afterwards and moisturize. I have found that if I can feel a pimple coming up, using this cleanser really takes the guts out of it (so to speak). And if I do have pimples that come to the surface, they heal so much faster when I use this wash. I am on my second bottle and I've been using it for 4.5 months. It is a must-try!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 8:28:00 AM More reviews by aamna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolutely amazing! My skin looks great after using this cleanser and I feel good about using an all-natural product by a company which uses sustainable ingredients and promotes free trade.

Shea Terra Organics Rose Hip & Red Bush African Black Soap Face Wash acts as a face wash and as an exfoliant. It dissolves dead skin cells and makes them easy to remove.

I never simply wash it off immediately after applying it to my skin - I leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse it off. I use my fingers to gently massage my still moist skin in circular motion so as to remove the layer of dead skin cells that the soap has dissolved. After rinsing my face again I can instantly see clearer and fresher looking skin.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2011 7:52:00 PM More reviews by SIPEDRO

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I like it, it's just a bit too runny for me. I will use the whole bottle & update. No break-outs so far. It truly does leave your face squeaky clean!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2011 10:31:00 PM More reviews by Twinkly1216

While I haven't tried the rose hip one, I have tried the mint and the lemongrass. I have to say this is another one of those items that considering the cost, isn't worth the hype.

The rose hip african black soap is the only one of these with a pump (I believe). The other two are squeeze bottles with the little caps that you press in to reveal a tiny opening where you squeeze the product out - like lotion bottles! The reason I mention this is because this is a very...dense...product. It doesn't squeeze out easily.
Once out it looks almost like black tar on your hand and it's not like a lot of other cleansers where you can rub your hands together and it will disappear into lather. This requires quite a bit of rubbing to turn all of the soap into a lather. Typically I will squeeze onto my palm, rub my hands together to try to get it to lather up, look at it, and then use my fingers to rub the remaining stuff stuck on my palm (looks like a brown stain).

All of that would leave it at 4 lippies if it was a great product but I don't know...it's a lot of work for a product that doesn't do a lot.

1. This does not get rid of makeup. Now I know that cleansers aren't supposed to get rid of makeup and we're supposed to use makeup remover before the cleanser but I don't follow that rule if I'm in the shower. In the shower I'll just use a cleanser - twice if I have to. This does NOT get rid of makeup. Not even using it twice. And using it just once? Forget about it. I have NEVER used a cleanser that was so inefficient at removing makeup. All of my other cleansers will remove all my makeup in one or two goes, not this.

2. This gives you the squeaky clean feeling but the odd thing is that your face isn't actually clean. When I try new cleansers I always do (my term) the fingernail test to get an idea of how good of a cleanser it is. All I do is use my fingernail and run it along my face (usually the dimple line) applying enough pressure to be able to scrape off leftover makeup or whatnot if there is any but not so hard as to make a mark or be uncomfortable. If there is nothing under my nail then I'm good to go. No matter how clean my face feels - this has never passed the fingernail test on the first go. Even when I'm not wearing makeup and only have on lotion from the night before or something. Sometimes if I'm wearing makeup, even on the second try I still find stuff under my fingernail. I ALWAYS make sure to use a toner with this cleanser.

Now for the good stuff. While I can't comment on the rose hip one, the lemongrass one really does smell like lemongrass (lemongrass and lemon are different, just thought I'd mention since I saw a youtube review where the girl expected lemon). The mint one also smells like mint and maybe a little bit like chocolate? While I didn't feel any tingling from the lemongrass, the mint really does leave your face feeling cold. Like if you chew a mint gum and it makes your mouth feel cold even though it's not, that's what it does to your face. Felt REALLY uncomfortable on my eyes the first time but now that I'm used to it, I like it. Wakes you up. :)

Also, this doesn't dry my face out and I have dry/normal skin depending on the season. So that's good....all-in-all this is really a take it or leave it kind of product IMO.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2011 10:16:00 PM More reviews by katie76

I heard about this by accident on youtube. Did my research and checked out all the ingredients on my beautypedia site and thought I'd give a try. I bought the original, rose hip. It does cause my skin to tingle but that might be due to the fact I use a retnoid and my skin is a bit thinner. Did not cause any burning sensation to my daughter. Leaves skin very clean and soft. I have combo skin that is acne prone. So far so good. I like that it really cleans without stripping my face of its natural oils. I'm excited to see what long term use will bring. Now I just have to keep it away from my daughter!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2011 1:02:00 PM More reviews by mamasgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this cleanser! It's become HG for me. As mentioned, it gives skin a squeaky clean feel (and sound). I've been told that my skin looks brighter and clearer and I know it's because of this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2011 10:44:00 AM More reviews by alesija

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

Amazing product. Makes skin baby soft and skueaky clean.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2010 3:05:00 PM More reviews by efrey14

I am on my second 4 oz bottle of the Rose Hip cleanser and I love it. I am 23 weeks pregnant and was struggling with acne on my lower cheeks and tons of blackheads on cheeks. This cleanser actually helped it, and basically cleared it up. I leave it on as a mask at LEAST once a week, for about 10 minutes (until it dries), then rinse. I do use this with my clarisonic as well, both in the am and at night. Recommend trying.