December 20, 2014 | 975 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Laura Mercier - Secret Finish

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2009 12:30:00 PM More reviews by caffcliff

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A Laura Mercier SA applied this on me and I loved it, so promptly bought it. It gives a dewy glow to my complexion. I am of a certain age with good complexion, but I avoid foundation and powder. I much prefer a tinted moisturiser with this patted on top. It gives a nice glow and I often get told how well I'm looking when I wear this. Even if I'm going (fairly) make up free, I manage a bit of mascara, a slick of lip gloss and this as a must. Used correctly, it is a great asset to your make up arsenal.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2009 10:35:00 PM More reviews by syeung2

Lightweight creme, white and shimmery. Feels nice on the skin (I don't wear foundation, so this goes right on my skin). Dab on lightly under the eyes, and it seems to disappear completely; it provides the faintest amount of brightening/glow. I don't reach for this often, since the effect is subtle (or my eyes are simply not observant enough)... and I don't dare overapply and risk looking unnatural. The effects are probably more noticeable in photos. But, since paparazzi don't follow me, I don't have need to look my best in photos on a daily basis :)

Overall - For me, this item is for special occasions only. I probably will never reach for it again. continued >>

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2008 6:21:00 PM More reviews by foreverfrench

If you dont like this product (trained on it or not) YOU ARE NOT DOING IT RIGHT! it is the best granted you shouldnt be using it over a true liquid foundation (like LM oilfree moisturizing or any tinted moisturizer or silk cremes) but if you even set your makeup with a powder you can benefit from this gel!
I love that its oil free so all can use it! Its the perfect combo with her stick foundations that i wear and even over secret camoflauge!!!! I wear it everyday! If anyone wears her minerals i beg you to try this product us less than a pea size warm it up by pressing your finger tips together before pressing it in the skin! if you use it right its the perfect touch to get that super soft fresh skin finish!

9 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2008 2:58:00 AM More reviews by misstiggywinkle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For anyone who has reviewed this and complained about using it over liquid foundation and it not working or who said it smeared their make up then I don't think you read the instructions.

It is for use over powder and it is to be patted on not rubbed.

Since I bought it I have used it after about an hour of powdering my face and it is fantastic, especially under the eye area where powder can look a bit dry after time. It smooths out the skin.

It's also great mixed with a bit of concealer when you're in a hurry.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/19/2008 1:34:00 AM More reviews by oceanaire

WTH. i hate this product along with most of laura mercier's products. it's definitely not that i am applying it incorrectly because i did extensive training with LM while i was working for an LM counter. it's greasy and overpriced. you would probably get the same 'effect' from patting moisturiser on over your foundation but i have no idea why you would want to!! none of the artists that i knew while working for LM even used this! don't even get me started on laura mercier's idea of a 'flawless face'.......ugh!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2008 11:07:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

This product can be an easy way to completely ruin a great face of makeup. Listen to the bad reviews here - not all of them are because people are applying it wrong.

Yes, trying to rub it in or smooth it across your skin, or using too much will ruin your makeup every time. However even lightly patting on a very small amount supremely delicately can STILL ruin your makeup sometimes.

I have such frustration with this product because once in a while, I try it, and it works beautifully ... but most of the time I decide to give it another try, and it just ruins everything. I don't know if this is because it's a poor product, or because it's just not suited to my skin-type (combination dry/oily, sensitive, sometimes prone to breakouts) After patting it lightly over my makeup, I can look at my fingers and see that it's just taking the makeup off my face. I have to wash my hands afterwards. It can completely ruin the texture of makeup, making it look uneven and blotchy.

However, despite all of this, occasionally it does do what I want it to. I really don't think I'm doing anything differently on the times when it does work .. just freak chance, or maybe variations in my skin?

Never use this 5 minutes before running out the door when you've just spent a half hour on your makeup. This is only safe to try if you've got plenty of time to re-do everything if it ruins it.

The only "safe" use I've found for this is that on bare skin it can give a bit of a dewy look, so I figure I'll use up the tube on low-or-no makeup days. Even that application is only viable for those with dry skin, as I think if you have oily skin, it'll probably just look more shiny.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2007 9:46:00 PM More reviews by addysmom

This stuff really has me puzzled. I have had it over a year now, and when I first got it I used it incorrectly and YUCK! Last week I picked it up out of the drawer and tried again. I used it over my powder foundation and patted it gently over my nose, cheek, and chin area. I love it now! You just have to use a tiny bit of it, and now I carry it in my MU bag in my purse for use during the day also. I don't think I will repurchase again though, because a little water in a spray bottle (fine mist only) will do the same thing, or even a moisturizer or oil free gel will do the same thing for no $.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2007 6:38:00 PM More reviews by nicolley77

this does a good job for me in the winter time when my skin gets dry. i use LM's secret brightening powder under my eyes, and it can get dry and wrinkly looking. if i dab this on after, the dryness goes away. i don't have any problems with smearing of makeup either... of course i don't rub it, but just dab and pat. it's also very helpful when the skin around my mouth area gets dry.

of course, i could probably get the same effect with a little eye cream or other moisturizer. the best thing about secret finish is the packaging, as the tube allows for the tiniest amount to come out, because you only need the tiniest amount. that means the tube will last you a loooong time (i've had mine for 3 years now!) but still, the price is ridiculously expensive for the small amount. i would still buy this again just because i am an LM addict and must have every single one of her flawless face products.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2007 3:53:00 AM More reviews by luminous

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

i have to say, i read these reviews up and down before i bought this stuff. the descriptions of it being a midday makeup freshener, a dewy-look-provider, an eye-opener (when applied to lids), and a line-diffuser... were all really appealing. i wanted to give it a chance and make sure i used it properly before i wrote it off as a useless product. unfortunately, it did that to itself -- it did nothing but smear my makeup. i'd have to agree with the reviewer who described it as an "overpriced moisturizer." (except that i'm not even sure it moisturized.)
who knows, maybe it'll work for some people -- i mean, there *are* some positive reviews here. it certainly didn't work for me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2007 5:57:00 PM More reviews by ccope4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

eh...this product is just okay in my opinion. I think there are other things that can do the same job for a lot less $.

This is definately NOT for liquid foundation! It will just rub off the makeup underneath where you put it on.
This finish is for finishing mineral or powder makeup. I just rub a dab between my fingers and *pat* it on my cheeks and above my temples to hilight.

I think it is too expensive to repurchase since I'm not overly delighted with it.