November 28, 2014 | 1732 users online

Treatments (Face) - Spearmint Tea for Acne

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2012 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

I tried this because I went on and then off of prednisone and the steroid messed up my hormones and caused hormonal acne. I tried drinking two to three strong cups a day. I think it may have helped the acne but it also made me feel really sick. Nauseous and intestinal issues as well as feeling really fatigued. So sick that as bad as I wanted my acne gone I stopped drinking it. I gave this a 2 instead of a 1 because i think it did something and maybe in some people in smalller doses it could be effective but I urge you to be careful when using this. It sounds like the most harmless thing in the world, but if you are drinking more than one strong cup of this a day it could potentially make you feel really, really awful. If you are trying to balance your hormones with it because of health issues I recommend doing it under a doctor's guidance.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2012 5:30:00 PM More reviews by MichT2013

I was told that drinking spearmint tea helped women (who were going through menopause or after having a hysterectomy) by reducing the amount of androgen/testosterone your body makes. Thus it helps reduce symptoms caused by too much androgen/testosterone such as: Facial hair growth, vaginal dryness, joint aches, etc. I am surprised that it is recommended to women who are still having menstrual cycles. My ob/gyn told me to drink three cups a day (one after each meal and to add honey to it - which would also cut down my craving for sweets).

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2012 8:52:00 AM More reviews by JenLovesPolish

I bought Bigelow spearmint tea in an attempt to help regulate my very heavy and irregular periods and help with hormonal acne around my chin and jawline. I've tried drinking it 2 times a day for two separate weeks. First time I tried it I noticed my stomach felt nauseous and I felt kind of sick. I thought I was getting ill and the tea was upsetting my stomach even worse so I stopped drinking it. A few months later I noticed it in the pantry and decided to try it again. Just like before I felt sick to my stomach after drinking it, I got headaches,and I felt really run down. I know it isn't a coincidence. Also both times I drank it my next period was really heavy. Maybe my body is too sensitive to it but in my experience I wouldn't recommend it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2012 10:03:00 AM More reviews by Daphers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Iíve been drinking spearmint tea for about three months now in an attempt to reduce my androgen-related acne. I drink a cup twice a day. Some people restrict their drinking to a certain portion of their cycle only; I havenít tried that.

Results:
No hormonal acne! In other words, no cysts on the chin. Skin significantly less oily and shiny. Iím back to blotting only once a day at work and can sometimes get away without wearing powder on a night out.

Side-effects:
Iíve heard other people complain that spearmint tea makes their periods irregular. Well, mine were irregular to start off with and this has regulated them somewhat. I canít say anything definite about it causing a change in PMS because so far my PMS has been completely different every month, just like normal.

Spearmint tea acts much like peppermint tea in that it soothes the stomach and aids digestion, but it also relaxes the sphincter muscle that prevents acid reflux, so if you suffer from acid reflux this may make things worse. I do already have problems with excess stomach acid and donít think mineís any worse than normal now Iím drinking the tea regularly.

You need to get the dosage right and that will probably take some experimentation. When Iíve got it too low I start getting spots on my chin; when itís too high I feel sick and get bad headaches that start in my shoulders.

Personally I havenít been too careful or precise about my doses. I always make sure I have two strong cups a day but often I forget the morning one and have two at night instead and it doesnít seem to cause much a of a problem. Ideally I guess I would measure out the exact amount of tea, use the same size cup every time and time the length it brews. Frankly Iím too lazy to do any of this and most of the time I get it close enough just by eyeballing it and letting it brew about 5 minutes.

What type of tea to buy:
If youíre trying to use this to control your hormones or breakouts, I recommend avoiding buying a version containing green tea. Green tea seems to cause breakouts for some people (and certainly does for me).

Iím in the UK and buy mine loose-leaf from the Tea Palace in Covent Garden, London. Itís delicious and completely different from the Palanquin bagged stuff, which I found online on a couple of Indian websites. Loose-leaf allows you to control the quantity you use but is more expensive than bagged.

If you know androgens are the cause of your problem, this may be worth a try. Just be aware that you may have to experiment for a while to get the dosage right for you.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/18/2011 10:35:00 AM More reviews by nico678

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well I have had a weird experience with drinking mint tea daily. I initially drank it to try and control hormonal acne, which I felt it did control any large breakouts I may have had. Why I have stopped drinking it is because I feel like I am on birth control pills. And I HATE birth control pills. I have gained weight, have increased hunger, am moody, feel swollen all the time, feel tired all the time, etc. I have never done well with BCP. Some people do fine with them, I am not one of those people. So, after two months of consistently drinking this tea, the only comparison I have is the way I feel when on BCP. I eat really healthily; fruits, veggies, whole grains, no meat, no dairy, good supplements... and I am usually really lean. But I am totally curvy right now. Some may like that side effect; bigger boobs, rounder butt; but I don't. I may be the bizarro case that has had this side effect of drinking mint tea, but research shows that is reduces androgens and increases estrogen (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17310494?dopt=AbstractPlus). So if you are sensitive to estrogen (like me apparently), just listen to your body. I even read that people use mint tea for digestive and weight loss reasons so it must be working for people differently than it has worked for me so I won't say "don't drink this", I love natural remedies and believe in healing from the inside out. This works for many, but just be aware if you feel funny like I have that it may be the tea. Buenas suerte..

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2011 11:23:00 PM More reviews by MsDime

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Excellent on my hormonal acne! I was getting at least 3 extremely sore cysts filled with pus every single day. They would be underneath the skin and feel like the center of a bruise. I drink 2 bags in the morn 1-2 at night and viola! No more acne!!!!

Now does anyone have any sucess with it stopping androgen related hair loss? It still hadn't slowed my hair thinning down. Sigh. Taking it 1 month and 1 week so far.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2010 4:40:00 AM More reviews by tigerh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been trying this at different times in different amounts for about 6 months and what really works for me is 2 cups a day every day all through the cycle. It doesn't affect my cycle (unlike drinking it day 1-14) and it really cuts down the hormonal acne. I still get some darkening of old scars as I would normally in PMS time, but that's easily covered by makeup.

Just get into the habit of having a cup first thing in the morning and one in the evening - it's no hassle at all and it works for me!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2010 8:31:00 PM More reviews by Momtobal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This really works. I have hormonal oily skin with whiteheads that pop up over night on the sides of my nose and chin even with being diligent with benzoyl peroxide and BHA's. I hate it! The only thing that ever worked for me was going on birth control pills and to me, it was not a strong enough reason to stay on them. I've been drinking spearmint tea(bigelow) for over a week now..no more whiteheads and much less oil. It's amazing. This stuff really works and to boot, you get nice breath from it :). I've been drinking 3 cups a day..will need to stock up on this stuff!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/25/2009 4:23:00 PM More reviews by genahy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, after all the comments about how spearmint tea is a savior for hormonal acne, I figured what the hell, why not give it a try. I was somewhat scared to try because of all the horror stories that it ruined menstrual cycles and made acne worse in some occasions. But I began with limited use, using twice a day, for 5 days in days 1-5 of my menstrual cycle. Then I increased to 10 days, days 1-10 of my menstrual cycle. I think by the end I was using this 2 weeks out of the month. It didn't work, and I think it might have made my migraines worse. It's possible you need to use it daily for it to have a full effect, and 3-4 times a day at that, but I'm just not willing to risk messing up my cycle, and I doubt it would help my acne anyway. It's also very expensive to buy spearmint tea in my area, as it's not so common.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2009 3:17:00 PM More reviews by bunnybee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was hoping that this would help the hormonal cysts that crept up on me after I got off of BCP. I started with the 2 cups/day, but I had to stop after a couple of days because I was getting terrible headaches, and just felt run-down in general. I felt like I had flu-like symptoms! Feeling horrible all the time was not worth getting rid of a few blemishes. If you do a board search on the MUA Skincare Board, you'll find that many other users had the same misfortune of the tea causing headaches. Some even compared their headaches to migranes.

I then tried Vitex supplements instead, with 100% better results. One simple supplement taken per day, no side effects (IME), and no cysts.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No