July 26, 2014 | 967 users online

Highlighters - E.L.F. - Shimmering Facial Whip in Lilac Petal

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2013 2:48:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

First off, don't be scared by the name, there's nothing lilac about this highlighter at all. It's a cool, pale pink.

I've fallen in love with glowy illuminating products lately. Mind you, I'm in my mid-30s, so I can't be having an entire shimmery face thing going on, but I love how a well-targeted illuminator on my cheekbones can make my face go from "powdered and flat" to "gorgeous skin". Anyway, this was one of the first I tried and it's still my favorite, especially at the price.

I don't quite understand the reviews describing it as gummy/tacky/sticky. I find it to be a highly concentrated cream-type product (rather than a sheer lotion) and a little goes a very long way. I squeeze out a dot maybe the size of two pinheads and QUICKLY smoosh it between my two ring fingers, then apply it along my cheekbones with the same sort of quick tapping movement I use for concealer. It blends fine, maybe trying to rub it in or blend it with a brush is the issue? Not everything needs a fancy brush! It really should be done quickly because it sets up fast and after that it doesn't budge (which is another reason I like it). I also tap a tiny bit on my browbone. I get a diffused glow that isn't streaky. Honestly, I find Benefit's Watts Up to be harder to blend.

I'm pale and use this highlighter mostly during the winter and spring for a neutral to ethereal glow. In the summer and early fall I switch to Watts Up for more of a golden tone when I want that "golden goddess" look. The only thing I could really remove points for was the packaging, which is cheap and not luxurious, but what are you going to do? ELF has never been a luxury brand, and if it were in a nice pump tube I'd have to pay more for it. This is a great highlighter at a great price.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2013 11:39:00 PM More reviews by Kkrstdew

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Nice for the price. Gives skin a glow.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by LaLa6699

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is good but the packaging is crap! The little nozzle tip broke off and a lot of the product spilled all over my drawer! I will not repurchase unless the packaging is changed!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/13/2013 2:19:00 PM More reviews by Aydell93

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this little thing! It can be hard to work with but when used as a highlighter or an mixed into foundation, primer, or body lotion it leaves a totally believable beautiful shimmer. It also sometimes use it as an eyelid primer and spot highlighter.

To use it as a highlighter I recommend squeezing a tiny amount on the back of your hand and tapping it with a finger onto your cheekbones, it really leaves a super pretty shimmer all over and is pretty subtle. For spot highlighter I like to use my pinky finger and use whatevers left on the back of my hand.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2013 2:49:00 AM More reviews by iluvmakeup12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

For $1 this is a pretty good product. I have very dry skin in the Winter and I use this to not only highlight, but to also bring back some dewiness to my skin. It's called Shimmering Facial Whip but I don't get a shimmery finish, it comes off more glowy which I really like.

Pros:
- It's only $1!
- A little goes a long way.
- Gives a subtle glowy finish.

Cons:
- Doesn't last very long on the skin.

Tips: I know some people have a problem with the product separating in the bottle. I've found if you massage the bottle and shake it well before using there's no problem. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2013 1:21:00 AM More reviews by fychen

Love this product! I use it to highlight the bridge of my nose, cupid's bow, under my brows, and above my cheeks to side of my eyes. You don't need to use a lot of this product. And it makes a big difference- kinda get that glowing and healthy look! And it is only 1 buck! It does a light scent to it, FYI, which I don't mind at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by LaB3llaxox

Amazing product and for $1 its Perfect. It is shimmery, so use a lil amount and you are fine... I love it! ;)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2013 2:09:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

For a buck? I couldn't pass this one up. I already use Clinique's liquid Illuminator that cost 25 times as much. I've tested High Beam and Josie Maran's Illuminizer (more bronze) and looked like a fairy waiting to sprout wings. So when I saw this, I figured I'd give it a try. I'm very pleasantly surprised.
It is thick and not easily blendable, but that's ok. I just mixed it with some moisturizer around my browbone, my cheekbones, the pout of my lips, down my nose, across my nose and voila!...instant glow. For me, it just worked more as a light bronzer because of how pale I am. So you can use that as a reference point. No shimmer with glitter either, a nice glow that I can wear day or night that looks healthy. I can put a tad on my lower lip too to highlight it.
The color says Lilac Petal, but for my very pale skin, it seems more peachy glow to me. And it does remind me of JM's bronze Illuminizer. That's just how the color works for me. For my pale, cool skin, the color goes very well. I spread it with my fingers because it is too thick to work with a brush immediately. Mixing it with my moisturizer is just as easy with my fingers rather than using a brush, but if I want to be specific, that works too.
Comes in a little (very tiny) tube that should last quite awhile. Squeeze the tube contents into a tiny screw top container (like a lip gloss pot) and you'll have easier access to the amount you want to use. Once you have a little pot's worth, it becomes creamier and easier to work with. If you think the tube is small, it really isn't, because once you squirt some into a tiny container, you'll see how much is still left in the tube.
Has an orange smell that disappears immediately upon contact-too bad because I enjoy it...lol.
Definitely give it a try. E.L.F. products are always worth a shot.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by Stellaburke

This is literally the best highlighter I've ever tried. I've tried high beam and that barely even showed up on me. This is only $1 and it is a little thick but I personally like that because it stays on throughout the whole day. I've read about some people complaining its too hard to blend but it really isn't. I find that powder highlights don't stay on me but this gel does. It's tiny but hey it's only $1 and a little goes a long way. And I saw someone's review say that it looked terrible on the lips because it was too frosty and thick... Okay obviously it looks terrible on the lips it's a highlighter for Pete's sake

rated 1 of 5 on 4/10/2013 8:24:00 PM More reviews by beautycalls09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is really, really shimmery. I swatched it on my hand next to the color stick in "persimmon" (which is pretty shimmery itself) and this is 100% shimmer. It didn't blend very well and had a strong scent. Into the trash bin it went.