April 16, 2014 | 2082 users online

Sunscreen - Paula's Choice - Skin Recovery Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 15 & Antioxidants

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 12:56:00 PM More reviews by Walko

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a fantastic moisturiser. It has spf( Mineral sunscreen)which is a godsend for me as I can't tolerate chemical sunscreen around eyes.If you're having problems with stinging or runny eyes with a sunscreen check the ingredients as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are far gentler around eyes.i.e this product.That aside this is super. It offers broad spectrum sun protection , contains antioxidants and vitamins. It's also alcohol and fragrance free, and contains no artificial colourings or dyesWhy use just a plain moisturiser when you can reap these benefits?.Also packed so ingredients remain stable. I wouldn't dream of buying a product in a jar, no matter what it claimed to do.I don't find this greasy at all. My skin is combination and I find this ideal.Moisturisers with spf are easy to find, but one like this isn't.I've used this for about 4 years now and have no plans to change.On the downside it only has spf 15. If I'm going to be outdoors for a long period of time I use Blue Lizard sensitive spf 30 which is also mineral sunscreen.Paulas is perfectly adequate otherwise as spf only applies to the amount of time before you burn.Highly recommended.
EDIT:I've reordered this again(September 2013) and it has been retested and is now spf 30.Yippee!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/24/2012 11:54:00 AM More reviews by HWL

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is very moisturizing and gentle. It has a lovely texture. It is very creamy going on. It's not thick and paste-like, they way many mineral foundations can be. Nor is it drying, which most mineral sunscreens are. I have to say I loved the texture. It takes a little time to sink in though. Sadly, it made me break out and so I am using the Moisture Boost, with all the chemicals, which are not irritating my sensitive skin. They sent me the replacement free. This Skin Recovery cream does go on thick and white. I wait a bit before putting on make up, but it is still bit shiny. I didn't mind at all. It is for people with very dry skin, not combination skin. When I got this, my skin was quite dry. I did not know mineral sunscreens break me out, so I don't fault the product for that. From what I have read, more zinc would be better in terms of protection. This is a very elegant formulation and has no fragrance. It has a smell from the ingredients, that is a bit sunscreen. I liked the smell and I don't like fragrance in skin products.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2012 8:20:00 PM More reviews by countrychic

I use this product on my extra sensitive skin that does not tolerate chemical sunscreen products. The best part is no tearing of the eyes if you get it too close to them. It absorbs quickly and therefore does not give skin a white caste as some other non chemical sunscreens do. It works great under makeup, but keep in mind that you would have to reapply it if you spent the whole day in the sun, as the low SPF 15 can only protect for so long. A great product overall!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2012 9:05:00 PM More reviews by bheansidhe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

This has been my daily moisturizer for four years. I have fairly sensitive skin with rosacea (the flushing kind) and occasional seborrheic dermatitis (the nose and cheek flakies). A few years ago I became spontaneously allergic to all chemical sunscreens and had to switch to titanium dioxide ones. The packaging was recently improved to include a flip-top. The price is reasonable, especially given the PC unconditional 30 day return policy. The product goes on a bit thick and white, but is quickly absorbed and becomes invisible. It's very moisuturizing and can leave a bit of a sheen in the summer. Unfortunately I can't powder my skin because it makes the dermatitis flakes noticeable, so I resigned myself to "glowing" and don't stress about it.

If I'm going into the sun I layer a 30+ SPF titanium over this base, but for daily wear, it's unmatched. It never breaks me out, it's very hydrating, and I've never had any kind of reaction to it.
By the way, PC runs frequent sales, so subscribe to their emails and never pay retail. :-)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2012 2:57:00 PM More reviews by HLowell

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product It is for dry skin and is very moisturizing and gentle. I have moderately sensitive skin. This has zinc and titanium dioxide , which I tolerate. Thus, it goes on thick and white, but does blend in. I would let it set a bit, before applying foundation. It can be a little greasy at first. That fades somewhat as well, but not entirely. I don't mind as I am so dry, that even liquid foundation often looks caky on me. My foundation looks dewy and luminous on top of this product. My skin stays hydrated all day and feels fantastic. However, some might find this product too heavy or greasy. My foundation does sometimes need a touch up though later in the day, which is the case with most moisturizers for me. It doesn't make me break out, but I do not break out often. I do recommend getting a few samples of any PC products before buying the actual product. She has quite a number of product lines. Three are suitable for dry skin, yet all feel different and have different ingredients, so it's worth trying more than one. The moisture boost has chemical sunscreens in and is a lighter moisturizer. The Resist line is more is thicker and almost a paste and is not as hydrating. All are a bit heavier than many products you might have tried. That could cause breakouts or other problems.

The top twists and then you can squeeze out some cream. When you twist it back a bit more comes out. I don't find that a problem, as I take that into account. I hope this review helps people know what to expect. A lot comes down to preferences and your skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2012 6:13:00 PM More reviews by artemistzitzikilakis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Suprisgly, I reallly like this. At first it went on as white as a ghost but after 10 minutes it was fine and went well under my primer and LM TM. It is only SPF 15, the LM is SPF 20 and since it has pleny of mineral (all mineral) ingr. it has UVA covered. The SPF is for the UVB only and as I am in mostly it will be okay most of the time. The reason I settled on it after trying Clinique for dry to very dry skin is that is is the most moisturizing and does NOT come in a jar. She says it is loaded with antioxidants, cell communicating ingre, etc. and I assume she is at LEAST as honest as the cosmetics companies. I am noticing her pricing goes up and up, this was $21 for 2 oz, plus shipping. But my face really glowed after using this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by alohahawaii

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coming from a person who is allergic to Chemical SPF, This is the best Moisturizer/ SPF i have used to date. I have purchased this item several times and I love that I can apply it to my eye area without a concern. This is not for those with oily/ combination skin. This is for drier skin types with sensitivities. What I like the most is the antioxidant content. I feel like I am doing something wonderful for my skin. I apply powder over it and I find it tones down the shiny finish. The new formula is more of a mousse consistency (which is a bonus). I have looked and tried several versions of Physical SPF's and can't find one that compares to this. I will continue to purchase this. It has allowed me to have SPF protection as well as all the antioxidants my skin needs to remain healthy. Also, this does not have fragrance which is beautiful. I can't stand the smell of SPF, especially directly under my nose. This is a definate 5 Lippies for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2011 3:03:00 PM More reviews by mary_ln

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This stuff is marketed to those with "normal, dry and very dry" skin. I would consider my skin to be normal to slightly dry. This left a really greasy sheen on my face after applying a very light layer. Luckily I had thought to try a sample packet first. IMO this is only for someone with very dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2011 9:22:00 PM More reviews by cherrim

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Like other reviewers, I suspect the formula changed a while ago. It's much easier to rub in, but I was ok with the old one anyway. I am usually pretty fair skinned, so if there was a white cast, I might not notice it as much as others. It's my go to sunscreen. No burning eyes, no skin reaction, my Revlon Colorstay and Clinique Repairwear liquid foundations go on top very smoothly - I actually wear this even when I go out in the evening because it makes my foundation look smoother and I swear it has better staying power this way. It's not drying, washes off cleanly and easily, what else can I say? It's the workhorse of my skin routine. My sunspots and freckles seem lighter and fewer since I started using this consistently. Of course, I wouldn't wear this if I were going to be in photos, but luckily, that's not my thing. The only negative thing is the cap to the pump. I love the pump, it works great for me, no air goes back in, but the cap falls off easily and breaks, so it doesn't travel well. I have to put it in a baggy. No big deal though. I've been through probably more than 10 tubes and I've never had a pump break. I've had so much trouble finding sunscreens that don't burn my eyes or break me out in pimples or a rash that I don't plan on ever buying something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2011 1:20:00 PM More reviews by ddpanda

First, let me start by saying that it irks me Paula does not keep us updated when she tweaks or reformulates a product. When this sunscreen came out a few years ago, I didn't like it at all. It gave a severe white cast, was greasy yet didn't moisturize very well.
I just made a purchase from her site a few weeks ago and bought the Skin Recovery kit since it was cheaper to do that than buy most of the products separately that I needed to replenish. I figured since the SR Moisturizing Lotion SPF 15 was part of it, I'd might as well try it again. It is definitely NOT the same product it was a few years ago. Now, it is creamier and blends so much better. There is barely a white cast at first, but then blends in completely. And it's nicely moisturizing. The ingredient Octinoxate is not present in the formula, either - I'm pretty sure it was in there when it was first launched. I'm pretty sure that ingredient causes my skin irritation. So having removed that sunscreen ingredient is a big plus for me.

This new formulation really works well for my skin. I don't feel like I'm applying a sunscreen product at all. It also creates a nice finish, making makeup application easier.

The price point, though, is expensive, in my opinion. $20.95 is a bit high for something that needs to be applied liberally. I feel sunscreen products should always be sold at a lower price point because it needs to be replaced quite often. However, Paula frequently has sales, so if you stock up when she has 25% off sun products, you'll get it for only $15.71 (U.S. dollars).

The other issue, that I'm pretty sure she's in the process of addressing, is the packaging. The pump doesn't work well at all and the plastic cap cracks and breaks after just a few uses. She's already changed the Skin Balancing SPF 15 and the new Moisture Boost Daily Restoring Complex SPF 20 was launched initially with a squeeze tube, so it's just a matter of time that the Skin Recovery one will be repackaged.

And lastly, she could improve this by making it an SPF 20 or 30.

But despite the small flaws in packaging and the SPF, I will continue to repurchase this product now. This new formula is very luxurious.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No