Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 15 & Antioxidants

3.5

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 3.85%, Zinc Oxide 3%. Other Ingredients: Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (thickener), Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil (non-fragrant emollient plant oil), Isononyl Isononanoate (skin conditioning agent), Propylene Glycol (slip agent), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol (thickening agents), Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane (silicone slip agents), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols, Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidants), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Unbiquinone (coenzyme Q10/antioxidant), Ceramide-2, Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-identical ingredients), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Dimethicone (silicone slip agent), Palmitoyl Oligopeptide (cell-communicating ingredient), Tribehenin (skin conditioning agent), Alumina, Aluminum Stearate (thickening/opacifying agents), VP/Eicosene Copolymer (film-forming agent), Polysorbate-20 (emulsifier), PEG-10 Rapeseed Sterol (skin conditioning agent), Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Xanthan Gum (thickeners), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Sorbitan Stearate (emulsifier), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Hexylene Glycol (solvent), PEG-4 Laurate (emulsifier), Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate (preservatives).

on 9/16/2013 4:17:00 AM

Dear SkinCareAficiando reviewer below:

I'm not sure you understand cosmetic science well enough to claim that 3.85% Ti02 and 3.12% Zno cannot provide sufficient broad-spectrum protection.

It's not just about active ingredients: consider the base formula, how it's formulated, what grade of minerals are used etc.

This product was recently retested and actually provides SPF 30 and passes the FDA's new broad-spectrum test (CW of 370nm and above).

It's a great product: gentle, protective, and not too whitening.

on 4/16/2013 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

If this is meant to be the richest cream in her line for very dry skins...then Lord help us. I don't like it all that much. Kept my face hydrated and glowy for 2 hours or so. And then my face looked dull and my cheeks felt slightly dry. And this is me with combination skin. Come to think of it, most of the moisturisers from PC have not been all that misturising. Except for no irritation, I didnt see any changes. And don't get me started on the sunscreen issue. I still can't get over the fact that PC uses the lowest SPF 15 in its products but Paula waxes lyrical about the importance of sunscreen. I'd respect PC more if she'd improved the SPF to a 30. I wanted to love PC but these products just don't cut it with me anymore. I have tried nearly everything in her line and unfortunately they were just mediocore. This is possibly the end of the road for me with PC.

on 4/9/2013 9:20:00 AM

So I went on a Paula's Choice sample buying spree and I'm slowly making my way through the haul. These are just first impressions, will update my reviews (and my lippies) as time goes on.

Whoever said Paula's Choice didn't have emollient options for dryer skins is WRONG. Holy emollient. This is crazy thick and moisturizing. I wish I had it in January. Now it's April and it's too much for me. Will have to remember to repurchase this winter.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am desperate for a good daily face moisturizer for my dry skin that has non-chemical sunscreen in it, and I think I have found it! It does not feel heavy at all, and does not leave my face shiny. I will get a little whiteness if I don't blend it thoroughly, and in areas hard to blend like the eyebrows and hairline. It can be used around the eyes too!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

3.85% titanium dioxide and 3% zinc oxide is not enough to even give a bare minimum of protection against UVA rays, certainly not even SPF 15, I have no idea how the product has this rating.

Total waste of time if you are using it as a form of daily sun protection, you'd need about 15-20% of zinc for it to do what it claims.

Paula may have knowledge of most other skin care ingredients but clearly sun protection is one of the major exceptions.

on 2/7/2013 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

(Me: Combo skin with very oily T-zone. NC 42 skin tone. )

This is a really good product; it has lots of beneficial ingredients and protects your skin from the sun. But in the end, it wasn't right for me.
Pros:
+ Satin Sheen finish but not greasy
+ Soothing for dry skin; very moisturizing
+ Absorbs nicely into skin; no white chalky finish

Cons:
- Not easily bendable
- Makes my skin very oily in a few hours

Overall, I would not repurchase this because it makes my skin look very greasy after a few hours. This product is made specifically for Dry skin. I have oily-combo skin but wanted to try it out anyways.

on 1/23/2013 12:56:00 PM

This is a fantastic moisturiser. It has spf( Mineral sunscreen)which is a godsend for me as I can't tolerate chemical sunscreen around eyes.If you're having problems with stinging or runny eyes with a sunscreen check the ingredients as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are far gentler around eyes.i.e this product.That aside this is super. It offers broad spectrum sun protection , contains antioxidants and vitamins. It's also alcohol and fragrance free, and contains no artificial colourings or dyesWhy use just a plain moisturiser when you can reap these benefits?.Also packed so ingredients remain stable. I wouldn't dream of buying a product in a jar, no matter what it claimed to do.I don't find this greasy at all. My skin is combination and I find this ideal.Moisturisers with spf are easy to find, but one like this isn't.I've used this for about 4 years now and have no plans to change.On the downside it only has spf 15. If I'm going to be outdoors for a long period of time I use Blue Lizard sensitive spf 30 which is also mineral sunscreen.Paulas is perfectly adequate otherwise as spf only applies to the amount of time before you burn.Highly recommended.
EDIT:I've reordered this again(September 2013) and it has been retested and is now spf 30.Yippee!!

on 12/24/2012 11:54:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This is very moisturizing and gentle. It has a lovely texture. It is very creamy going on. It's not thick and paste-like, they way many mineral foundations can be. Nor is it drying, which most mineral sunscreens are. I have to say I loved the texture. It takes a little time to sink in though. Sadly, it made me break out and so I am using the Moisture Boost, with all the chemicals, which are not irritating my sensitive skin. They sent me the replacement free. This Skin Recovery cream does go on thick and white. I wait a bit before putting on make up, but it is still bit shiny. I didn't mind at all. It is for people with very dry skin, not combination skin. When I got this, my skin was quite dry. I did not know mineral sunscreens break me out, so I don't fault the product for that. From what I have read, more zinc would be better in terms of protection. This is a very elegant formulation and has no fragrance. It has a smell from the ingredients, that is a bit sunscreen. I liked the smell and I don't like fragrance in skin products.

on 11/18/2012 8:20:00 PM

I use this product on my extra sensitive skin that does not tolerate chemical sunscreen products. The best part is no tearing of the eyes if you get it too close to them. It absorbs quickly and therefore does not give skin a white caste as some other non chemical sunscreens do. It works great under makeup, but keep in mind that you would have to reapply it if you spent the whole day in the sun, as the low SPF 15 can only protect for so long. A great product overall!

on 10/18/2012 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This has been my daily moisturizer for four years. I have fairly sensitive skin with rosacea (the flushing kind) and occasional seborrheic dermatitis (the nose and cheek flakies). A few years ago I became spontaneously allergic to all chemical sunscreens and had to switch to titanium dioxide ones. The packaging was recently improved to include a flip-top. The price is reasonable, especially given the PC unconditional 30 day return policy. The product goes on a bit thick and white, but is quickly absorbed and becomes invisible. It's very moisuturizing and can leave a bit of a sheen in the summer. Unfortunately I can't powder my skin because it makes the dermatitis flakes noticeable, so I resigned myself to "glowing" and don't stress about it.

If I'm going into the sun I layer a 30+ SPF titanium over this base, but for daily wear, it's unmatched. It never breaks me out, it's very hydrating, and I've never had any kind of reaction to it.
By the way, PC runs frequent sales, so subscribe to their emails and never pay retail. :-)