October 20, 2014 | 2088 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Light Golden Brown

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2010 12:12:00 AM More reviews by departureofskies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Pros: No strong ammonia smell, super cheap

Cons: Sucky gloves, tiny packet of conditioner (one use), turned my dark blonde hair a reddish-brown---way too brassy, faded within 2 weeks even with shampoo for color treated hair (although in my case this was a good thing)

I ended up covering this with L'Oreal Excellence in Light Ash Brown & my hair looks 100 times better--plus I have a huge tube of deep conditioner now.

Bottom line: Spend the extra $3 and get something better than this.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2010 1:23:00 PM More reviews by Clouded00

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

i only use revlon colorsilk to dye my hair, but this is my favorite shade. last night i bleached out my dyed-black hair, and used this. it is exactly the right color. as always, the conditioner is great and my hair is nice and soft. i'll be using this shade for a long time.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2010 8:30:00 PM More reviews by ladyvic75

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Been using various types of home colouring, usually whatever is on offer. Colorsilk is among the cheapest, as is Garnier in my country, so i alternate between these two brands. Yesterday out of the blue, I wanted to change my hair colour, wanting to go lighter. I am a level 2 with red/brown undertone, and my desired colour is level 4 (2 levels lighter is the max for home coloring), which is light brown. [For more info on hair color levels and understones, check out http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip000110.htm and http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip095.htm. Helps a lot!]

So i went to the nearest ds and Garnier was on sale but they didnt have the colour that i wanted. My next choice was Colorsilk and since people told me to take one shade lighter when doing home coloring, i took the #54 - light golden brown. That night, after the whole process (my hair does have that straw texture after rinsing but everything went fine after the conditioner), i kinda felt disappointed. My hair is still dark! I had the color on me for about 45 minutes, with my head covered in a plastic showercap!

Overall, my hair is soft, with gorgeous even reddish brown highlights all over my head but not the color I expected. Im gonna let my hair rest for a while then hunt for the blond shades next to see whether it'll work or not! But yeah, Colorsilk is a good brand, no patches or uneven streaks. Smells good too. The Colorsilk website has a color recommender to help you choose the right color.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2009 4:32:00 PM More reviews by showmyscars

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

AMAZING!
I was going to go to the salon to get my hair colored because it has been an absolute mess - bleached out on top and dark underneath. My hair is long and damaged and difficult to color, but I don't have the time or $$$ to do a salon run right now.
I picked this up at Target for 2.99 each (I bought 2 since my hair is long, about 5 inches past my shoulders).
I let it sit for 10 minutes on the bottom layers because they are so dark and the top is so light! Then I applied it to the top, left on for another 20 minutes and washed it out. It is gorgeous! Shimmery, shiny, golden light brown - exactly how it looks on the box. I was terrified I would get some funky brassy color because the bleach I had put on it earlier had turned it a nasty orange, but this covered all of that and is so even and just beautiful. It is not mousy or boring at all!!

Yes, the gloves included suck, but I just use my own. Pick up a package of gloves at Home Depot - they're cheap and it's worth it.
I am amazed at the results for the price - $6 compared the to $150 and 3 hours+ of the salon? I'll take the $6 and 30 minutes!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2009 10:40:00 AM More reviews by Shayron

Every six weeks or so I need to cover the grays at the roots. My hair is naturally light brown. I usually buy light brown ash/neutral tone in hair color but the store was out of anything in my brand that was close to what I wanted. Colorsilk has no smell and a great conditioner pack. Unfortunately three weeks later the grays are back.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2008 5:07:00 PM More reviews by mickifont

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had tried every other hair color product but this one in my 20 years of coloring my hair! And this is the very best!! It lasts longer than salon color and does what I expect it to do. I finally learned that if you want medium brown you have to go with light brown. My natural color is blackest black and all I've ever wanted was lighter brown hair. This adds a lot of red to my blonde highlights (bleached to blonde this summer) and natural color. The light brown is a little darker. They both bleach my black roots and cover my greys. I am blissfully happy with this product! I am saving tons of money and getting great results. What more could a girl ask for? I am thinking that I need to stock up on this just in case. Oh and I have very dry hair and have minimal if any damage with this wonderful product. My Holy grail finally!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2008 12:33:00 PM More reviews by rebchandler

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, so I color my hair waayyy too much! I highlighted it a couple of weeks ago (with Frost & Glo)...then decided to try L'oreal Light Ash Brown. That left my hair with dark ends...and light brown highlights...which quickly started fading. So, after reading all the great reviews about Colorsilk, I decided I would try it.

I bought the Light Golden Brown hoping to make it one uniform lightish brown color. Now, I've been coloring my hair long enough to know that it wouldn't turn out like on the box...and it may even end up looking crazy...but I'm willing to deal with that...a glutton for punishment I suppose.

Anyway, this color did a pretty good job overall. My roots are a nice caramely color (or light golden brown)...the rest of my hair did lighten slightly, but I would still consider the ends a dark reddish brown at this point. But the color is not so off that is does not blend well together. Overall, I like the color and may actually stick with this for a week or two!! (maybe!)

The package is horrible as many have already stated. Cheap gloves, cheap conditioner package, etc...but it was the color I cared about...not the other stuff.

The price is unbeatable...I got mine for $2.99 at Wal-Mart. And, that was its normal price...not a "sale" price.

The amount of haircoloring? Could use a little more. I have hair that's right past my shoulders and it was a struggle making sure I had everything evenly covered. Next time, I would definitely buy 2 packs.

The conditioner was actually half-decent, although the packaging was bad. But that's okay, I have a million different conditioners I can use anyway.

So, my final say is...it's a good hair coloring! It's just as good as any of the high priced ones...the color did what I expected it would do giving the state of my hair & my hair still feels in great condition 3 days later. So, yes, I'll definitely buy again. Although, next time, I think I'll go for the light reddish brown or medium golden brown...think it may blend the dark & light parts a little better.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No