July 22, 2014 | 1328 users online

Fragrances - Amouage - Lyric Woman

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2010 1:53:00 PM More reviews by prettykitty1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

True to what other reviewers have said, this fragrance starts out with a sharp, spicy medicinal note and then mellows over time to become something utterly beautiful. However, it wasn't quite to my liking, and I'm someone who loves the heavily spiced Opium and Cinnabar with all my heart. It could just be my chemistry, but I couldn't get past the medicinal stage soon enough to fall head over heels in love with this fragrance, lovely though it may be as it approaches the drydown. And even in the drydown stage, I kept getting whiffs of pungent medicinal odors from time to time, so that prevented me from being entirely comfortable wearing this.

On the right person, I can see how this easily rates four or five lippies, but on me, it was too harsh at the beginning and too unpredictable toward the end. So with all due respect to those whose chemistry melds nicely with this fragrance, I'd give this fragrance a three at best, but that's just me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2009 2:01:00 PM More reviews by kirstendstewart

This fragrance is rich, complex and absolutely beautiful from beginning to end. Normally I don't like "Rose" fragrances, but the rose kind of takes a back seat and is surrounded by warm spice and dries down to a subtle, warm and sweetish vanilla but still retains spice elements. This a complex beautifully crafted fragrance - after years of searching, with Amouage Lyric I have finally found my signature scent. It is everything I wanted my other scents to be but just weren't. After owning hundreds of fragrances because of my ongoing quest, I don't mind spending this much on "the one".

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2009 4:10:00 AM More reviews by AnnaSa

This is one of the best quality fragrances I have ever tried. It lasts forever and has great sillage, one spray is enough for at least 24 hours. It's a rich, spicy, oriental rose - so rich that there is almost an oily quality to it. This is the first fragrance I would buy if I won the lottery. The only negative is the pricing, but then - I would rather save up for this than have them compromising on the quality. So beautiful - if you like spicy rose this is a must-try!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2009 10:06:00 AM More reviews by MizLiz211

I have been searching for a fragrance that conjures up a stereotypical vision of Old Vienna: Balls at the Hofburg, Schoenbrunn palace, the waltzes of Johann Strauss II, and whipped cream in your coffee. Amouage Lyric Woman just about does it, with its deep red roses and its yummy vanilla cream and spice notes. Like another favorite of mine, Parfums de Nicolai Sacrebleu, it stands directly at the intersection of floral, oriental, and gourmand. And yet, Lyric Woman is neither heavy nor oppressive. It's more like deep red taffeta than deep red velvet. It's very expensive, but so perfect that it just might be worth it...

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2009 5:36:00 AM More reviews by doree_001

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Lyrics is indeed a multifaceted perfume. It is rich and very opulent, thick, balsamic fragrance. Rosy-spicy, smoky and rather sweet, although somewhere between top and middle notes I have also detected some 'medicinal' bitterness.

It changes its facets all the time in the top and middle notes (at that stage it was almost a scizophrenic fragrance for me): when I first tried it I was sure it was not for me, I didn't like its thickness, rosy sweetness, then somewhere in middle notes I liked the spiciness, richness, and a full, opulent aura...

What I like the least in it are the top notes, very rosy and so thick, and too candy sweet at times. It settles into an interesting balsamic-rose-spicy fragrance, very, very strong and persistent, rich, full. This candy-like sweetness gives it a sort of a modern 'twist' and its medicinal bitterness somewhere between top and middle notes reminds me a bit of CD Hypnotic Poison.

Drydown is aromatic, balsamic, but it can be a sort of 'plasticky' from time to time (at that stage it also reminds me of an old and I think discontinuated fragrance by Van Cleef&Arpels -- Birmane, which was also an aromatic, sweet fragrance, but Lyric is obviously much better, fuller, thicker, and of a much higher quality!) .

This fragrance really changes its multitude facets so quickly that just in a 5 minutes I have changed my mind about 10 times from "I definitely don't like it" to "hm, it is not bad" to "not for me" and than again "hm, interesting, maybe it would be nice to have it"...

All in all, I can see how it can be appealing fragrance for those who love rose and spicy scents, but it is not my style, so I wouldn't purchase it for me.

For floral, rose-scent lovers I have to say: it is not exactly floral (rose) fragrance, as its spicy-balsamic side is emphasized really a lot. It is extremely rich, thick and strong fragrance with a huge sillage and lasting power, almost 'cannibalistic' like WinterWheat said in her review (10/15/2008).

It is between 3+ and 4 for me, because it is good but not my cup of tea (I'll give it 4 because of obvious high quality, great lasting power and sillage, what is indeed a very rare thing today).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2009 9:54:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I finally have put my hands on this so famous line and got to try Lyric & Jubilation. I will first review Lyric, that I like best.
First of all, i have to say that, Amouage fragrances scream "Oriental" and "Money", so if you are into understated light, crisp, summer-ish eaux you will not find your type here at Amouage!
That said, you instantly recognize that these perfumes are made of the finest raw materials (I have a radar for quality stuff!) so consideration an appraisal must be given.
Lyric is a "cold" rose to my nose; not your classical rose like in Paris just to name one.
It starts almost medicinal, had a blast of spices, short after rises the rose mixed with geranium, some white flowers and iris; no not powdery iris, a rooty iris. Then the spices again. The result is transparent, sheer, modern. I associate this fragrance with crystal, cold crystal, colourless but reflecting the light like a diamond. The dry down is cozy and warm with a musk-vanilla base; familiar and comforting. You must like Frankincense and white musk though, because these one linger on for the rest of the day……
Lyric is very feminine and distinctive, very elegant, absolutely balanced - though its complexity - and not over the top (as Jubilation for example!). Unique, truly original and had this exotic, rich and exclusive (typical in the middle-east) feature.
I gave a 4 instead of a 5 because of the price, that is not justifiable - I mean even if the line belongs to the Sultan of Oman whatsoever, if he wants to sell to his elite I mean, free to do it, but then do not claim and market it worldwide at the same price.
____________________________

Notes (as per Amouage site)
Top notes: Bergamot, Spicy Cardamom, Cinnamon, Ginger
Heart notes: Rose, Angelica, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Geramnium, Orris
Base notes: Oakmoss, Musk, Wood, Patchouli, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Frankincense

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2009 8:09:00 AM More reviews by Melloney

This is a qualtiy fragrance which smells divine so it gets 4 lippies but it is not my style . I much prefer Jubilation 25 which is smoother to me. This scent has longevity .

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2008 11:11:00 PM More reviews by Wyrmiax

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The opening reminded me of Aqaba, with its overload of spices. The beautiful drydown reminded me of White Aoud without the oud, if that makes sense--a rich creaminess that is luscious without being foody or juvenile. Took off a point for the opening--not only do I dislike spices, but it didn't really seem to go with the rest of the fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2008 7:29:00 AM More reviews by Brid1

I really have a lot of time and respect for the Amouage line of fragrances. They smell of quality and have incredible lasting power. Yes, they may seem composed of other fragrances or remind one of others but they have a character all of their own. I recently tried this again and I truly love it - a very sophisticated rose which needs time to develop and mature. Yes, it is expensive but what items of quality are not and for the perfum afficionado - smell is everything. I love the line and the trial kit at £20 is a very easy and rewarding way to try them. Highly recommended.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2008 4:45:00 AM More reviews by bettyblue38

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nice, very nice rop
a shy rose that develops out of a bed of cardamom and a hint of ginger. Slowly it seems the rose arises. At least on my skin. The balance between the cardamom and the ginger is very nice. I dont care much for ginger but this amount is okay with me. Initially I did not smell the rose. It took her a while to show up. Along, I think, I smell a hint of iris? Could that be? No incense or frankincense so far. A nice oriental fragrance but not an oriental fragrance, to me, that arrives onto your skin with the hasta la vista mentality of Terminator. I use this as an analogy since I dont know how to describe what I would say in German into English. It is not an overwhelming or overpowering oriental scent, more on the sublime side. It is there but not with the full force of some other fragrances out of the same family.
would I buy it again? Yes. No, if something will be launched that I personally like better. The packaging is very nice. Dark red velvet interior with a dark red bottle. Simple but in a way elegant. The price is expensive, as with a few other perfumes from other lines. 185 Euros for a 50 ml bottle.