April 18, 2014 | 1386 users online

Treatments - Lavender Essential Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2013 8:18:00 PM More reviews by cankcank

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Lavender works for everything! It's antibacterial, soothing scent, dab it on mozzie bites to stop them itching... Nb though, if applying this to sensitive skin make sure to dilute with water or carrier oil, depnding on your purposes, as it's powerful and can irritate.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2013 12:52:00 PM More reviews by Rosse86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I used to think lavender was for old ladies. But since I read up on the essential oil, and started using it as an acne spot treatment, I am in absolute awe of it! I still don't find the scent that appealing, but its antiseptic, calming and healing properties are simply amazing. This is the best spot treatment I have ever used, usually it will kill a pimple in a day or two - while being very mild, gentle and completely natural.

Now I buy all kinds of cosmetic products with lavender in them; shaving cream, lotion, hand cream, shampoo/conditioner - I even bought a big lavender bush for my balcony! Purple was always my favourite colour anyway ^_^

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2013 6:05:00 PM More reviews by hotbeautybitch

I use it just on my Body if any itchiness occurs. So, I don´t feel it anymore. Love it

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2013 3:57:00 AM More reviews by margaret7673

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

this is amazing! i put it in my lotion just a few drops and i also put this in my shampoo. my hair is smooth. not "oily smooth" like what conditioners do to my hair. just smooth and the smell lasts whole day. and FIY i live in a tropical country so it is humid here

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2013 6:44:00 PM More reviews by thereisalwayshope

I use on acne so prevent scarring :)

But has tons of other uses!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2013 3:45:00 PM More reviews by pinimon162

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love lavender oil and have used it for years - we've always had it in the house because it's one of my mom's favourites too.

I haven't used it yet on my skin, although I plan to try it, and will update if/when I do so.
But for me it's definitely worthy of a good review - I've always had trouble sleeping, I can easily be lying awake for hours before I get to sleep, and even if I get to sleep quickly I will wake up constantly in the middle of the night which is no fun! Lavender is renowned for its calming properties and there is a reason for this - the scent really lulls me to sleep, and all I need is around 5 drops on my pillow. I sleep much more restfully and my sleep isn't as troubled and interrupted by me waking!

It's hard to describe the scent of something natural - it's not like a body lotion or something where you can compare it to smelling like 'lavender' or 'roses'. I would say the scent is heady and floral but not overly sweet - it's really divine and one of my favourite smells. I actually enjoy wearing it as perfume - just a couple of drops on my wrists and neck. It just soothes me and de-stresses me - the power of aromatherapy I suppose! It's also good to know it's all-natural and so doesn't contain any harmful chemicals that other commercial perfumes might (having said that, I do still use other perfumes on occasion..but I'm sure rotating this in makes this better, right?).

It also makes for a great bath oil - I actually use it as a natural (and better-smelling) alternative to bubble bath. It smelled so great as I was running my bath (I only used 3 drops) that my mom asked me what I'd put in it. ---But get this, my 15 year old brother, who is the most typical teenage boy you could meet in terms of beauty/fragrance (the only toiletry-related products he uses, are Lynx deodorant and toothpaste) actually came and asked me what I'd put in the bath because it smelled amazing. Crazy times. I actually can't believe people would be intolerant to lavender as a smell - tea tree oil, maybe - it's truly a beautiful scent. As a bath oil it functions to unwind and relax and de-stress. Have you noticed that a lot of bubble baths are lavender scented? Why not skip the chemicals and just go for the real thing?

All in all, I really can't say enough good things about lavender oil. I don't really use it for 'beauty' purposes - but getting enough sleep helps your skin, so I suppose in a non-direct way it does help. It's relatively inexpensive compared to other essential oils, and one of the more widely available oils. I know it's a lot per ml, but bear in mind you need to use minimal amounts for the functions I've listed - 5-6 drops in a bath, 5 drops on a pillow, 4 drops as perfume - and of course you can use less if it's too overpowering. For skin care preparations you might need to use more and therefore get through it quicker, but like I said I haven't tried this yet.

Overall, highly recommend - there are so many more uses that if you don't like it for one, there's bound to be something you can do with it.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 1:37:00 AM More reviews by lollipopgraceE

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

In terms of breakouts this doesn't seem to help or aggravate my acne (it mostly just seems to do nothing). However, I have always had sleeping problems since I was young and this helps me sleep as well as taking gravol (motion sickness pills)! Absolutely love it for that alone! The only thing is I don't really like the packaging for essential oils, they always use the European style dropper bottles that drip everywhere. I'm probably using it wrong but I can't figure it out :P In terms of other essential oils, I still find that Geranium and German chamomile work the best for balancing, toning, and leaving skin glowing :)

-edit-
This is not about the lavender oil, but I noticed in the last sentence I mentioned Geranium & german chamomile work well. Do not use the chamomile if you have sensitive skin!! Gave me the worst cystic breakout I have ever experienced...and also, if you try geranium oil, make sure to dilute dilute dilute!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 11:05:00 PM More reviews by leannejade

When I first got went completely natural with my skincare, one of my first purchases was lavender oil, and it has not disappointed. I bought it to help with acne and scarring, and it helps reside pimples that are forming and helps scars/broken skin from irritated acne heal much faster, in a matter of days. It cleared up a breakout I was having at the time and I've been using it ever since. I do use it as a spot treatment neat, but when I use it all over I just mix a bit with another heavier oil to moisturize.
In short, tea tree oil never did much for my acne, but lavender oil has been a godsend. And it smells fantastic; I live in a dorm and share a room with two other people, and whenever they walk after I've used it they always mention how good it smells. Sometimes I even put some on my pillow at night to help me sleep.
I can't recommend lavender oil enough. If you're going to buy one EO, make it this one!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 4:26:00 AM More reviews by fazli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My best results were with: I put Lancome serum, than lavander oil, and the my Darphin Hydraskin. In this way it does not burn the skin, and thanks to the last layer gets absorbed.

I started using this combination in midst of a breakout, that disappeared. I did not think the oul is that helpful until I run out of it, and my pimples and clogged pores started reappearing.

p.s. I did not have the same experience with all the brands. Get a good quality one, and that's not necessarily the most expensive one.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2013 6:28:00 AM More reviews by CandyCrystals

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought the JR Watkins Bath & Body Oil that can be used topically. I read many good reviews about how you can use Essential Lavender Oil to help with acne, but my face did not agree. I broke out in acne. It did leave my skin feeling soft when I would use it on my body after a shower & the scent was very calming & relaxing.

But further research on Paula's Choice left me wanting to toss the bottle away for good. On the website it says, "Widely-used plant that's a member of the mint family. It is primarily a fragrance ingredient, although it may have antibacterial properties. There is no research showing it has any benefit for skin (Sources: Phytotherapy Research, June 2002, pages 301–308). In fact, it can be a skin irritant but there is a conflicting research on just how much of a photosensitizer lavender can be. It appears lavender oil all by itself isn't a photosensitizer, but when exposed to oxygen (as it would be when applied to your skin), one of it's fragrant components, linalyl acetate forms substances that lead to allergic contact dermatitis in and out of sunlight (Sources: The New Ideal in Skin Health: Separating Fact from Fiction, Thornfeldt, Carl M.D., Allured Books, 2010, pages 286–287; Contact Dermatitis, January 2008, pages 9–14; Hautarzt, February 2002, pages 93–97; and Contact Dermatitis, August 1999, page 111)."

'Nuff said.