December 18, 2014 | 946 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Cortex 1" Flat Iron (Tourmaline Ceramic Plate)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2011 5:36:00 PM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

I had been using the Remmington wet 2 straight but it finally died after about 6 years (the cermaic plating had worn off) and I wanted to try something better - although I really did like the Remmington.

I picked up the hot pink duo @ TJ Maxx for around $35 because of the great reviews.. It has a 1" and a mini. I seemed like it had everything I wanted: thin enough to get my bangs, able to curl, ceramic plates, high-er end.

I have to say, I didnt think it was very good. First of all, my hair did snag on it. And the plates don't squeeze together (there is a gap) which might not be a problem if you already have somewhat straight hair, but my hair is naturally curly and I really need some pressure to straighten it. Also, it didn't get my hair very straight, even at the highest setting. It always looked like it had a body wave, which looked nice (I got a lot of compliemnts) but I want it to be able to make my hair poker straight, espcially if I am going to blast my hair with 450 degrees! My hair had a lot of static & frizz. I tried to curl with it, and the curl would not hold. The Iron gets really hot from the outside, so I needed to use a glove with it. I honestly thought my old & cheap Remington was a better was a better iron for my hair.

I actually though the mini iron was a lot better (which has no temp. control). It heats up to 400 degrees and I swear it gets hotter then the 1" turned up to the max.

I really wanted it to work, but I just doesnt get my hair very straight and doesn't make subjecting my hair to that much heat worth it.

I sounds nothing like the Ions other people re using, maybe I got a bad one?

update: I ended up returning it and picking up a Babyliss Pro Ceramic ($20 on clearance!) and I feel like it is worlds better then the cortex. The babyliss makes my hair pin straight, smooth, shiny and does not snag at all and it is much easier to curl with. Babyliss FTW!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2011 7:14:00 PM More reviews by triplet3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this flat iron ! It makes my hair pin strait. Mine has a adorable zebra print on it. I purchased mine at winners for 50 dollars but the retail price is $95. I believe you can get them for $35 dollars at Tjmaxx.

Pros: Strait hair, glides threw easily, easy to curl hair with, optional heat choices (150to450 degrees)

Cons: Burnt Smell

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2011 3:30:00 PM More reviews by Akatude1908

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have had the pleasure of owning two of these amazing flatirons, both being the duo models that come complete with the mini iron and the hair clip. I am african american with kinky curly hair and I have not had a relaxer in a year and a half. I live in Texas which can be very humid and rough on my type of hair.
This iron is the "business"!!! No, really....I flatiron my hair once I wash and condition and it stays bone-straight and silky until I need to rewash (once weekly), edges and all.
This is the better bang for you buck as you can purchase at your local TjMaxx or Marshall for about $40.
My only issue is, the ceramic plates are VERY fragile and when you drop it once......its over (hence, the reason why I am about to be on my third set).
Just make sure you exercise extreme caution when handling this iron because the plates are very fragile.
Overall in terms of performance, I say this is an exellent product!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2011 2:47:00 PM More reviews by pinksaburke

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this at winners for $50 and it came with the mini and a hair clip. I got the zebra stripped one. I like it alot. It really gets my hair nice and straight without frying it! There is also a lot less frizz. Pretty good buy for the price

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2011 11:37:00 PM More reviews by HowlinWolfe

I have VERY curly and frizzy hair and of course always dreamed of straight hair. I gave up on that dream since I couldn't afford a great flat iron like the "CHI" that every girl told me about when I asked them about their hair, untill I came across the cortex at TJ Maxx for about $40. With my purchase of the cortex @ TJ Maxx I also purchased a huge bottle of Biosilk silk therapy. It is all I need to achieve stick straight hair. I've had complements from everyone ranging from die hard hair straightening friends to salon professionals. I bought the Iron that was full sized and a companioned mini with a (really great) hair clip. I thought the packaging was pretty average but then again I've never purchased an expensive flat iron...but really who cares about the packaging when the product is so great?! As I mentioned I have very curly and frizzy hair plus I live in Miami and my hair will hold up beautifully for as long as I'll have it (untill my next wash). Of course I do touch-up's in the morning. Just a few tips based on my routine: wash and condition hair, then I use a Paul Mitchell deep conditioner per instructions, next I apply a heat protector and do a quick blow dry so the iron doesn't burn my wet hair, finally after ironing my hair I apply BioSilk and I am good to go! Hope this helps! =)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2011 9:45:00 PM More reviews by smlrck26

I found this iron along with a mini iron in a set at TJ Maxx for about $40 and they are about that much on Amazon. I wasn't expecting much since I have never heard of the name Cortex before but I figured I'd try it out anyway. Turns out that it's the best flat iron I've used so far which have been just your run of the mill flat irons from Sallys and a few dud drugstore models.

This iron does snag my hair a little but I only have to run it through my hair once which is a miracle because my hair is so friggin thick. The outside of the iron does get a little hot but it's nothing unbearable. The cord is nice and long, which is a plus. My model has adjustable heat up to 410 degrees and it heats up fast too. I really like it and plan on using it until it malfunctions.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/5/2010 12:28:00 PM More reviews by slp17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this straightener at Winners for $40, I bought it in Black. I liked the packaging and the sleek design of the straightener, and hoped it would be good for me. However after using this straightener a few times, I noticed a lot of breakage near my hairline (where I used the straightener) that was not there before. I tried using it a couple more times and noticed even more breakage throughout my hair. I have very long, strong hair and have never had that problem before. I even tried putting the heat settings lower thinking that this may have been the problem, but still this did not help. I very promptly returned this item and applied a deep conditioning mask to my hair and went back to my Le Angelique straightener I was using before, and my hair breakage immediately stopped. So I can only think it was definitely the straightener causing this breakage as nothing else in my hair routine changed, and as i said before my hair is very healthy. This is just my experience, and many girls I know have Cortex straighteners and absolutely love them, however this was just not for me and I would not purchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2010 More reviews by bigb00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am so sick and tired of purchasing 150$+ flat irons every 6-8 months because they drop or the cord snaps. My latest being the solia which pulled and snagged and made my hair look dull and fried after I spent 30+ minutes straightening it. I picked this bad boy up at my local winners because I was broke but needed a ok flat iron for a few months. total cost 39.99$. I LOVE IT. I've used many professional salon irons (chi, babyliss, solia, matrix, cricket, hot tools not to mention all the ones the hair salons use) AND "professional" drugstore irons (bedhead, remington, conair infiniti) This iron is up with the top professional Irons! I borrowed a coworkers ghd for a few days before I went and bought this one .. and i have to say - i like to cortex BETTER! why? well it has adjustable heat.. has all the same quality in the plates, made my hair look just as shiney and silky and .. well... is 1/10th of the price! I am so pleased with this flat iron I plan on buying it for my friends for gifts and bought another one for myself so I can alternate! sooo happy!.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2010 12:15:00 PM More reviews by xquisite21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hi I'm new to makeup alley. I purchased this flat iron based on the reviews that I saw here and I must say, it did not disappoint.

I have type 4a natural (not chemically treated) African-Canadian hair and this iron straightened my hair beautifully. It has so much shine, and it looks like I have a relaxer in my hair . What I also like about this iron is the fact that I can get really close to the roots without fear of burning myself.
I was always skepital of the kiosks at the mall, and the heavy price tag attached. I thought to myself if I am going to buy an expensive flat iron I would buy a CHI or an FHI. I never tried them but I just heard that they were the best.

My old brand was Jibere de Paris from Sallys that I purchased over 5 years ago. I've been trying not to straighten my hair lately, but when I do I was noticing heat damage and lots hair getting snagged on the plates. Something that never happened in the first 4 years of owning it.

I've seen this brand at Winners many times but I thought because they were always there, that they weren't that good.
I was wrong. I bought the duo platinum set in the giraffe pattern and paid $49.99 for the set. (The single ones were $39.99).

I like the fact that it has so many different options. I was tempted to get the purple one. (Purple is my fav colour). But choose the giraffe for its uniqueness.

I was also attracted to the Life Time guarantee. Although it is only applicable to the US

I would highly recommend this product.

Cheers
Xquisite Elle

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2010 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Glamouraddict019

I have the hot pink one and it is a 1 and 1/4 inch flat iron. I got mine from TJ Maxx for $30 and it came with a 1/2" mini flat iron and a hair clip as well. Overall...I LOVE THIS FLAT IRON. It was really smooth over my hair and I only had to go over it once. It has adjustable heat settings and an off/on button. It didn't snag my hair on the ends, like most flat irons have done in the past. I used this to straighten and curl my hair and it only took going over it once. This flat iron managed to do exactly that-straighten and curl my hair all at the same time and I didn't have to use a curling iron afterwards. I am African-American and have medium-thick hair (part is permed straight and part of it is permed loosely so it isn't all the way straight). I used it with CHI 44 Iron Guard. I love the combo of the two and I am 100% happy with this flat iron. I feel like the flat iron may be safe enough to use without having a heat protectant but I wouldn't recommend it.

Another thing I love about this flat iron is it has 100% ceramic plates, which is very important. Most flat irons have just ceramic plated plates, which is really just a ceramic wrapping over a plate. What will happen overtime (which happened to me with my Jilbre flat iron) is the wrapping will wear off over time and will end up burning into your hair as you use it! It was awful so please be careful of that ladies.

I have read on other people's reviews that this flat iron is really expensive. I would look for it at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or winners before I would spend hundreds of dollars for it from a kiosk in the mall. Again, I got mine there for $30 with a mini iron included.