November 24, 2014 | 1804 users online

Liquid - Guerlain - Parure Extreme

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2013 9:29:00 PM More reviews by Mommyandmore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

TEXTURE: Runny.

APPLICATION: I apply less than half a pump on the back of my hand and apply with my Giorgio Armani foundation brush. It blends in beautifully, covering my pores, and sets to a glowy but natural satin finish. This is not matte on me at all.

WEAR: My face tends to be flaky and extremely oily all at the same time. Although the SA at Saks told me a nice little story about how her friends wear this while playing golf and never get shiny for the entire day, I find that I'm shiny within an hour or two. This foundation does not flake off or disappear in patches. It does settle into my large pores around my nose by mid-afternoon and does settle into my fine lines, but that's only detectable if I'm standing close to a mirror in good lighting.

COMPARISON WITH MY PRIOR HG: Parure Extreme might be as good as it gets for now. (I say that in a despairing sort of way). I still think it is superior to the Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk that I had been using for years because the GA was getting really thick on my skin by the end of the day. I do blot fewer times with the Parure Extreme than with the GA Lasting Silk, but I'm still blotting 3-4 times between 9 AM and 6 PM. After 6 PM, I pretty much give up on trying to reign in the shine. The GA was also emphasizing all of the lines that have been appearing on my face in the last couple of years. I find that the Parure Extreme does settle into my laugh lines and into the tiny creases under my eyes.

SHADE: Stop reading now if you hate reading about how SAs make you feel bad about yourself. The SA at Saks color-matched me to 02 and then sent me home with 13 by mistake (13 made me look flushed/ruddy because it's pink). When I went back to the store, I tried 02 again and it really was too tan for me. I noticed that the SA had a lovely porcelain tone (which is what I was trying to achieve) so I asked her what shade she was wearing. She was wearing 01. When I asked her if maybe I could try that shade, she looked taken aback as if I had asked something really inappropriate, so I pretended that I had been joking. It wasn't until I had left the store (convinced that I had somehow offended the SA by suggesting that she hadn't colormatched me correctly) that I realized that the Guerlain counter simply did not have 01 available at the store and that the SA was trying to avoid telling me so that she'd make a sale. I ordered a tester of 01 on e-bay, and it actually is a much, much better match for my skin. The o2 would work if I got a tan but my skin will actually never get tanned (it does burn if I don't apply enough sunscreen but I'm very pale with freckles). I've never been color matched by MAC, but I wore Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk in shade 4 for years even though it too was too dark for me. I guess that means I'm close to NC15 since I've read that NC10 doesn't exist.

USE WITH PRIMERS AND POWDERS: Many of the primers that work for other women that describe themselves as oily (Hourglass, all the various types of Smashbox, Urban Decay, Too Faced, Tarte, Korres, etc.) do not work for me. Right now I'm using Sheseido Anessa Perfect UV sunscreen as a base and it actually works pretty well. I'm using Chanel powder on top, but I'm not that happy with the Chanel powder since it feels heavy. I have to admit that this current combination does look very smooth and youthful--much better than anything else I've tried.

CONCLUSION: Color match is not perfect, oil control could be vastly improved, but it seems to be better than anything else out there as of March 2013. I do as much research as I can about other long-wearing foundations; unfortunately, I'm left feeling like the HG foundation for me simply has not been concocted yet. I'll continue wearing this until I find a better one.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2013 2:36:00 PM More reviews by RoxMcr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

At first, very nice packaging, smells very fresh and clean. However the packaging migh be quite problematic when it comes to an end, you wont be able to get it all out. The consistency is quite runny, definitely more than you expect in full coverage foundation. The application is easy and smooth, i recommend about two pump for the whole face apllied with fingers and spread with flat foundation brush. At first gives quite mooth, matte finish. Although the coverage isnt full, i would say its more moderate. Doesnt quite cover bags under eyes or blemishes. Also it isnt really buildable, its better to cover the imperfaction with concealer. Producer says it isnt necessary to use powder over the foundation, however i would say for oily/combination skin it will be absolutely impossible without powder cos it will melt off. On my skin which is quite oily and acne prone it stayed matte for about 3-4hours and started to shine in t zone. It is quite long lasting and doesnt transfer or rub off much on clothes etc.
Overall:
Coverage - more moderate than full, concealer will ne necessary to cover major blemishes and under eye bags
Finish - Smooth and matte, however powder is needed to prevent shining and touch ups after few hours
Lasting - stays on for about 8 hours, doesnt rub off on transfer on clothes

Generally its a good product but i dont think its worth the price cos you can achieve similar effect with Estee Lauder Double Wear or Mac Studio Fix for less. Lots of mattifying foundation cause break outs, this one doesnt and even improve skin condition slightly. I would recommend it for oily/combination skin which needs moderate cover. But it wont be covering enough for people with major imperfactions such as acne scars and impigmentation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 10:29:00 AM More reviews by Anera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

My skin: oily to combo, acne scaring, acne, blemishes, uneven skintone

So, I came to Douglas with intention of buying Estee Lauder's Double Wear 01 Fresco 2N2. The SA showed me ELDW foundation, but when I started explaining my problems (oily skin, foundation "slips" from my face within 5 hrs) she said: "Oh, let me show you a foundation that will be like an answer for your problems! it has two different polymers that will absorb any excess on you skin's surface". Since I never thought about buying a Gurlain, and the thought about two polymers sounded very appealing, I asked her to clean my face and apply the Parure Extreme 02.
The finish of this foundation is slightly dewy, very healthy and natural. No blemishes are visible, as well as minor acne and acne scars. Beautiful soft and not dehydrated finish (conpared to ELDW). I have to note I haven't used/bought ELDW but tried.
So a huge plus. I bought it because the price between GPE and ELDW was pretty the same.

So now a brief review:
- non-transparent: hmmm..., definately it can come off while being cheek-to-cheek with your boyfriend. Or using a tissue when having a runny nose.I would say it is transparent! I heard ELDW is really non transparent and therefore if you sleep with it on your face the whole night it won't come off.
- staying power up to 8 hrs - long staying power my ass! 5 hrs max and then it is super visible to everyone that your having foundation (cracks in some dryer parts, ie nose area; visible pores, hyper shine). Those polymers aren't doing anything! (I don't use a setting powder since I like the finish). And when I say up to 5 hrs it is because I have a sedentary lifstyle, I don't dare to think what would be the SP if I did something with more energy!
- color: the color section and the colors itself are not an A+. Mine is not the perfect match but an ok one. It is slightly too peachy orange but by time passes ( up to 30 mins) it is unoticable. The color doesn't oxidize at all!!
- after putting on, you instantly have the most beautiful, most hydrated and most soft skin EVER. It radiates a healthy complexion and looks dewy (not to dewy, tho). Perfect!
- and it comes with a pump (great!), and the bottle looks realy pricey and nice

For the price of 5 times greater then a drugstore foundation, I expected more. It should have a longer staying power and it should be non-transparent for at least 8 hours

EDIT:
I stopped using it. The color match is horrible. I used to wear this foundation for nights out because the color doesn't match me. The 02 is too beige, while I have yellow undertones.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 11:41:00 PM More reviews by chai24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is way much better than the Guerlain parure pearly white foundation. Lasts for hours, controls oil and soft matte finish, For reference I have a very oily skin, blemish and acne prone and scars. So I needed medium-full coverage that doesn't irritate my skin or cause acne. I wear 01 Beige Pale (I'm a MAC NC25, EL DW 2W1 Sand, Revlon Buff/Sand Beige) and this comparable to Estee Lauder Double Wear and Make Up Forever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation. I also have the pearly white in 02 Beige Clair which I wanted to love but doesn't last longer than 2-3 hours. Love the scent and the bottle. Luxury in a bottle!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 7:46:00 PM More reviews by workingmdiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is actually a review that encompasses two Aqua foundations, the Extreme and the regular. SO, the shades are very difficult! I bought the #3(beige clair)in the extreme and it was waaay too light for my skintone(see profile picture for reference) but I thought it was a pretty shade. I decided I would get a darker shade to mix with it to make it a better match(I also have to do this with the Armani foundations which have difficult shades), which led me to purchase the regular Aqua in Dore Natural(which is VERY dark, don't be fooled by color swatches provided by Guerlain!).I actually did a Google Image search on this foundation to pick the shades. So I use two small pumps of the #3 with about a 3/4 pump of the Dore. That makes it perfect! Let me tell you, this stuff lasts ALL day and looks beautiful ALL day!! I really don't even need to blot my face throughout the day or apply powder. I'll look in the mirror and think,"wow, this stuff is amazing"!.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2012 11:11:00 PM More reviews by satinpinknouveau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my holy grail foundation. The colors are tricky because there are so few shades and they are extreme beige or extreme pink for the most part but oh my gosh it lasts and can be full coverage while your skin never ever looks cakey. I apply this when I do bridal makeup and clients always love it as well. Definitely recommend this to anybody!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2012 7:30:00 PM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I would really rate this a 3.5. It's better than most foundations, but I'm still on the fence as to whether it's worth $60. This is very similar to Diorskin Forever liquid, in that both of these foundations are very runny in texture. Both are medium-full coverage. Once on the face, however, I think Guerlain is indeed better. Guerlain feels smoother compared to Dior. Dior's ended up being a little grainy while Guerlains stayed in place.

In terms of durability, Guerlains started melting off my face and getting shiney about 5 hours into wearing it at work, without primer (I don't believe in primers anymore). I have this problem with all foundations. Most start wearing off my face 3 hours into it, so Guerlain has a slight leg up.

The worst mark of all, as others have mentioned, is the color range. I am a very neutral NC/NW 20-25 but I HATE beige shades of any kind. They are always dull and very bland on the face, almost showing up grey on me. So I went ahead an ordered the pink-toned Rose Naturel 13. This is closest to Cameo 22 in Dior and NW20-25. This shade is EXTREMELY pink to the point where it makes your face look darker from a distance, but it's really just very pink. But I like it because it adds some color to my face and makes me look alive - we'll say "rosey faced" if anything. I can pull it off since I'm a neutral tone.

Overall, I can certainly see why it costs more than most foundations because the texture is very smooth. But I don't know if the oil control and color range are enough to make me buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2012 5:26:00 PM More reviews by soapinha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This a very good foundation. I actually purchased a shade darker than my normal skintone than what I otherwise would - however, as it's summer and I'm getting more tanned, it doesn't bother me. And this foundation is easily blendable and very smooth, so it's easy to make it look like part of your natural skin.

With this foundation, I don't need as much concealer (I use Benefit Erase Paste) and it covers imperfections, redness and spots fairly well. Oil control is somewhat an issue, but not as much as it was. I would certainly buy this foundation again and recommend it to anyone with oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2012 12:46:00 PM More reviews by luxlover79

EDIT: This foundation does not cake on my oily face & stays smooth looking. I still have to blot my t-zone after 2 hours or so after wearing it, but it fades evenly. I like it better this time. It works perfect to use with Guerlain Meteorites Mattifying Powder.

The best about this foundation is the packaging. A decent foundation with a not-so-decent price tag. For $58 a bottle, I still expected more from it, though it's a nice product. I didn't feel right spending the money for this when Revlon Colorstay has better coverage & lasts longer for way cheaper cost. But don't get me wrong, Parure Extreme is very nice coz it's super blendable, has pleasant smell, lightweight, quite mattifying on me but doesn't dry up my skin, does not transfer & it looks natural. I wished the coverage was better, it didn't cover the red veins on my cheeks so well. I guess the "Extreme" effect on coverage & longevity will happen if u build it up good, but I seldom apply layers of foundation coz of cakiness & heavy feel on my skin. I wouldn't rely on this to keep me flawless on attending a whole day event, or worse, a sunny event when humidity will melt my makeup off. This would be perfect to use for dinner dates or short night events, paired up with Guerlain Meteorites for a glowy & natural looking skin. I still like this foundation, but I won't repurchase unless it's on a sale price.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2012 4:16:00 AM More reviews by aibiyan

So far i'm only using my sample of this, but i'm very keen on buying the full size product!!!

i got the sample of this in the color 02, i'm around NC25-30, this in 02 matched me perfectly! i read other MUA reviews before going to the counter and i was unsure whether i'm an 02 or 03, but once i tried the product on my hand, 03 just looked way to dark and way to red for me. So i'm guessing other gals with NC25 are getting 03 because it can give them a more tanned look? but for me, 03 just wasn't right, while 02 was perfect.

For my combination - oily skin, this foundation looked matte on me. Only thing is, when applying, u have to be really quick, cause it seems to dry on ur skin pretty quickly. i set it with a clinique translucent powder, and throughout the day i did have to blot a lil bit, but for me that wasn't a problem (cause i'm used to looking like a grease ball with other foundations i've tried). after applying it onto my skin, my skin stayed this really matte feeling throughout the day which i loved (even though i did have to blot).. and in terms of staying power.. it was amazing.. i put it on at 7 in the morning, and when i got home at 11 at night, my skin still looked good without any touch ups throughout the day!

i was really careful about applying it around areas on my face where foundation tends to crease, and so far i haven't had any creasing problems with this. and this is without using a primer underneath.

my skin's usually quite pimple prone when it comes to foundations, which is why i generally only stick to BB creams. But this foundation doesn't seem to be breaking me out at all! so i'm definately in love with it!

if u can find a color that matches ur skin and u have troubles finding a foundation that will sit well on oily skin, u should definately try this out!