Estee Lauder Private Collection Amber and Ylang Ylang

3.8

on 9/11/2009 7:15:00 PM

I have this in edp, it is quite sensual and morphs in different fazes of creamy amber, musk, moss, ylang ylang gives it a supple sweetness but the dry down is just a powder scent. I first sampled the perfume spray, the notes are more refined and long lasting with an incredible dry down, which is why I purchased the edp not realizing it wouldn't be the same experience as the perfume. The pure perfume spray is the way to go with this one and is as large as the edp and well worth the price imo.

on 7/21/2009 5:56:00 PM

Something in this vaguely reminds me of Agent Provocateur's Strip. It's soft, it's sweet, it's powder and vanilla. It may not be the smartest kid in class but it's a crowd pleaser (and yes, I'm part of that crowd).

on 7/21/2009 12:14:00 PM

I read about this recently, and finally had a chance to be in a Nordstrom to try it out. I love woody warm fragrances that are not too overpowering or sweet. Example: Prada Tendre is one of my favorites--it's soft, warm, powdery, and not too strong. I really liked this new EL scent. It is definitely a scent you want to wear with a 'soft touch', as it is strong at first, but it softens fairly quickly into this beautifully rounded and blended warm floral. And it lasts a long time on my skin!I am picky, and a fragrance has to wow me if I'm going to spend money on it. I am picturing this a a perfect Autumn fragrance. Beautifully done.

on 7/20/2009 9:41:00 AM

I kind of ran onto this by accident. I was purchasing Sensuous Dry Oil Spray at Nordstroms & just saw the Amber Ylang Ylang. I just sprayed on my upper arm (the only non perfumed place) and later 2 hours or so, I smelled the most heavenly fragrance I've ever smelled. You can bet I'll be purchasing this.

I'm a Magical Moon addict, but this may be as good or better.

on 5/19/2009 9:57:00 PM

This smells sooo much like one of my favorites from long ago, Coty Wild Musk! Not today's sharp and overly synthetic Wild Musk, but the dreamy velvety/musky/slightly floral scent I remember from almost 20 years ago. Private Collection makes it even better by adding a light vanilla to the party; and the quality is outstanding, like all EL fragrances. It lasts all day and smells great on clothes the next day. It is the kind of scent I'd like to find on my scarf or coat collar, or cashmere sweater.

I would buy this again, and it has a place in my perfume rotation for sure. I just don't wear it much now as I prefer spicy frags at the moment.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Amber evoked memories of my grandma; she would have worn and loved this scent. She often wore Opium and Cinnabar. I received it as a GWP and it smelled lovely and familiar. When I tested it on my skin, I was reminded of the reason why I don't wear the same scents as my grandma!!!

on 2/27/2009 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Really, really enjoy this scent - had to take off a lippie for a weird phase in the middle where I get that ever so slightly off plastic estee lauder thing - what is that? Cashmeran? Other than that, absolutely gorgeous opening - for me it's reminiscient of the boozy amber/ vanilla notes in SDV tempered by the exotic creamy floral warmth of the ylang. I live for the drydown... it's amazing, and the first scent in a *long* time that my dh has commented on - he loves the smell and tells me it smells like "vanilla". True enough. But exotic amazing vanilla!

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Lemming killed!
I was so longing to try this one int he PC series, as I really appreciated the perfect blending & rare ingredients of Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia (yes it gave me migraine but I purchased the Body cream and, prob. 'casue it's less concentrared, works wonders & I totally adore it).
I am a sucker for Amber and I thought I would love this one even better. I was wrong!
As for another reviewer below, to me, this was such a huge disappointment.
A loud, generic, mainstream frag. Plastic-like, artificially smelling. Powdery. I am sure I have smelled this elsewhere, reminds me of Roma (but Roma was way better).
Very mainstream. I do not like it at all, offends my nostrils.
Beautiful bottle, though.

on 2/24/2009 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Smells like old lady. Definite baby powder smell. Too bad.

on 2/23/2009 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Love this one. On me I smell lots of vanilla, plenty of amber, and very little ylang (but enough to make me happy.) Staying power is decent - about 6 hours, and it does lingers softly after that for a bit. Really lovely and soft, a nice new direction for estee lauder!