December 17, 2014 | 1785 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Private Collection Amber and Ylang Ylang

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 5:56:00 PM More reviews by drvogue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Something in this vaguely reminds me of Agent Provocateur's Strip. It's soft, it's sweet, it's powder and vanilla. It may not be the smartest kid in class but it's a crowd pleaser (and yes, I'm part of that crowd).

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2009 12:14:00 PM More reviews by covenant

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I read about this recently, and finally had a chance to be in a Nordstrom to try it out. I love woody warm fragrances that are not too overpowering or sweet. Example: Prada Tendre is one of my favorites--it's soft, warm, powdery, and not too strong. I really liked this new EL scent. It is definitely a scent you want to wear with a 'soft touch', as it is strong at first, but it softens fairly quickly into this beautifully rounded and blended warm floral. And it lasts a long time on my skin!I am picky, and a fragrance has to wow me if I'm going to spend money on it. I am picturing this a a perfect Autumn fragrance. Beautifully done.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2009 9:41:00 AM More reviews by kcgirl

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I kind of ran onto this by accident. I was purchasing Sensuous Dry Oil Spray at Nordstroms & just saw the Amber Ylang Ylang. I just sprayed on my upper arm (the only non perfumed place) and later 2 hours or so, I smelled the most heavenly fragrance I've ever smelled. You can bet I'll be purchasing this.

I'm a Magical Moon addict, but this may be as good or better.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2009 9:57:00 PM More reviews by Kelly9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This smells sooo much like one of my favorites from long ago, Coty Wild Musk! Not today's sharp and overly synthetic Wild Musk, but the dreamy velvety/musky/slightly floral scent I remember from almost 20 years ago. Private Collection makes it even better by adding a light vanilla to the party; and the quality is outstanding, like all EL fragrances. It lasts all day and smells great on clothes the next day. It is the kind of scent I'd like to find on my scarf or coat collar, or cashmere sweater.

I would buy this again, and it has a place in my perfume rotation for sure. I just don't wear it much now as I prefer spicy frags at the moment.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2009 6:09:00 PM More reviews by myolderbrother

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Amber evoked memories of my grandma; she would have worn and loved this scent. She often wore Opium and Cinnabar. I received it as a GWP and it smelled lovely and familiar. When I tested it on my skin, I was reminded of the reason why I don't wear the same scents as my grandma!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2009 11:19:00 PM More reviews by KelseyP

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Really, really enjoy this scent - had to take off a lippie for a weird phase in the middle where I get that ever so slightly off plastic estee lauder thing - what is that? Cashmeran? Other than that, absolutely gorgeous opening - for me it's reminiscient of the boozy amber/ vanilla notes in SDV tempered by the exotic creamy floral warmth of the ylang. I live for the drydown... it's amazing, and the first scent in a *long* time that my dh has commented on - he loves the smell and tells me it smells like "vanilla". True enough. But exotic amazing vanilla!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2009 8:31:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Lemming killed!
I was so longing to try this one int he PC series, as I really appreciated the perfect blending & rare ingredients of Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia (yes it gave me migraine but I purchased the Body cream and, prob. 'casue it's less concentrared, works wonders & I totally adore it).
I am a sucker for Amber and I thought I would love this one even better. I was wrong!
As for another reviewer below, to me, this was such a huge disappointment.
A loud, generic, mainstream frag. Plastic-like, artificially smelling. Powdery. I am sure I have smelled this elsewhere, reminds me of Roma (but Roma was way better).
Very mainstream. I do not like it at all, offends my nostrils.
Beautiful bottle, though.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2009 12:40:00 AM More reviews by webvira

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Smells like old lady. Definite baby powder smell. Too bad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2009 1:24:00 PM More reviews by lvpoetess

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this one. On me I smell lots of vanilla, plenty of amber, and very little ylang (but enough to make me happy.) Staying power is decent - about 6 hours, and it does lingers softly after that for a bit. Really lovely and soft, a nice new direction for estee lauder!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2009 4:23:00 PM More reviews by ca_sent_beau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I had high hopes for Private Collection Amber and Ylang Ylang. Especially since the first fragrance in this series, the Tuberose Gardenia, was very well crafted - but then, I am not a white flowers gal, so it was not for me. Ambery fragrances are more to my liking, and I was eagerly anticipating Amber Ylang Ylang. Alas, a huge disappointment. Nothing of Tuberose Gardenia's virtuosity here, a rather loud and crude fragrance. The first spritz reminded me of Salvador Dali's Laguna, the next few minutes I was thinking to myself "where is the closest washroom so I can scrub it off". I tried to be nice to the SA who kindly gave me a sample and did not share my thoughts. I always thought that it is not possible to mess up an amber badly, since amber is something smelling nice and agreeable no matter what: The result might be more suited to a room spray/candle rather than fine fragrance, but it would smell bon nevertheless. Boy was I wrong! It is possible to mess up an amber, make a screeching thing out of it like fingernails on blackboard: Private Collection Amber and Ylang Ylang.