July 29, 2014 | 1121 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2014 5:48:00 PM More reviews by OhKitsy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I do a bi-monthly baking soda mask. Just mix baking soda with water to make it into a paste. For me it doesn't do anything much but I do like how the mask feels on the skin, hardly noticable and dries quickly. I use it to exfoliate when washing off and my skin feels soft after.

I don't notice any difference in acne or oil-control. Maybe because I don't use it very often.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 2:11:00 PM More reviews by sara48127

I have been hearing about baking soda as an under arm deodorant or in your deodorant to be extremely effective. I FINALLY gave in after hearing about it left and right for several months. I have tossed my other deodorants because of the cancer causing aluminum that is pretty much in every store bough deodorant and it can also darken your underarms as well as the alcohol in the ingredient list. So i wanted to try something as natural and effective as possible, and that is baking soda! I have been rubbing this into my underarm for a week now and no pit stink what so ever! I find it extremely effective, i do not smell what so ever. You still sweat as it is good for your body to release bad toxins, so it will not prevent sweating completely, but you WILL NOT SMELL, and that is the most important for me. So far, i am very happy! I have read that some people said it burned their underarms, this did not happen to me. I guess if you have very sensitive skin, don't try this?

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by gjohal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I mix baking soda with my shampoo. it adds volume and takes away dandruff, also takes away any residue. I just take the same amount of baking soda and shampo in my hand and mix it. but I don't like the packaging (I have the arm and hammer one) when I was putting some in my hand it made a hole on the side also the front flapp gets stuck as well so I recommend putting it in a shaker. also, I use this to whiten my teeth. it works great! but only use it every other day or 2 times a week.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/14/2014 1:48:00 PM More reviews by scooterj

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

good to mix with other products for teeth and gums.
as a shampoo, it opens the porosity of the hairshaft so it may remove buildup of products and WILL strip hairdye - good if you dont like the purple shade your haircolor turned out, really awful if you LIKE your hairdye. it also makes the hair cuticle rough and damaged.
most importantly, baking soda does NOT treat or cure cancer of any type. regardless of alkalinity and ph effects, this is far from what is responsible for cancers development or growth. if you feel you need alkalizing, (you can purchase test strips to know if thats actually the case), baking soda can help if diluted safely, but long term, it is risky to your internal organs - an alkaline diet would be easy and healthy.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by beachsexybronze

LOVE this! It is a staple in my house for numerous reasons!!

1. Great gentle exfoliator

2. Great for washing hair with twice a week

3. Great for cleaning products

4. Non toxic

5. Keeps your body alkaline when drinking a little bit in water every day! (known to prevent/cure cancer-do research cancer cures with baking soda)

6. GREAT for cleaning teeth (as well as with virgin coconut oil)

7.GREAT for also cleaning dog's teeth with!

I take a little bit of organic pure apricot kernal oil with baking soda (organic kind with no aluminum in it like Red Mills) and make a paste to cleanse my skin. I also sometimes use organic sweet almond oil or pure vegtable glycerin as well. ALL of them work so well (and no it doesn't break me out either).

I also sometimes use this to exfoliate in the shower.

YES-it is "known" to cure or prevent cancer. See an acidic body thrives on cancer, and cancer cannot survive in an alkaline one-which drinking 1/4 tsp of Red Mills baking soda in a 34 oz bottle of water everyday is supposed to do. I do it anyway. (Do your research-as too much can strip minerals in your body tho, and too much can cause problems)-but do research the "Ph Miracle" book, and cancer cures/prevention with baking soda ;) (you're welcome-and no I never had cancer, but I am vegan and stay away from acidic foods to prevent this).

Your teeth can also be healed with pure virgin coconut oil. I use this and baking soda to brush my teeth daily (and a drop of organic pure peppermint essential oil). Flouride is known to CAUSE tooth decay. Do your research!!

Baking soda is great for brushing your dogs' teeth!! Research it :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by starryeyed95

If you have skin like mine, which is sensitive beyond belief, super acne prone, always clogged with black heads, uneven, and oily- then you should never put this on your face. It's way too harsh, and you can't expect anything good to come from that.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 4:19:00 PM More reviews by emarieet

THIS PRODUCT IS A MUST HAVE. It is cheap and it is great for many different uses for your face and even hair (which I haven't tried). I read an article about this women who used baking soda along with her daily face wash to clean her face better and gently exfoliate. I have combination skin and I am prone to acne.
Each time I wash my face (morning and night) I pump my Cetaphil Gentle Face Cleanser on my palm and add about a table spoon or two to my face wash. To be sure to clean your face well and remove excess oil, dirt. etc I gently scrub my face for about 30 seconds. This makes my skin feel so clean and soft!
ALSO on days that my acne has gone crazy and my face is oily I use baking soda as a gentle yet slightly drying face mask. To do this, I create a paste with baking soda and water and leave it on my face for 20 minutes. When I rinse it off my face feels amazing, it is less red, my pores seem smaller and my pimples seem smaller.
I RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT.
Also, I heard you can use it to wash your hair instead of shampoo which can sometimes dry it out...but I haven't tried that yet.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2014 6:49:00 PM More reviews by belle169

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Just to be clear, I am reviewing this from a skincare/haircare point of view only - I think baking soda is awesome for, you know, cooking and cleaning, etc!

My favourite exfoliant/cleanser/face-mask has to be rolled oats (I've written quite the glowing review about it :P), so I'm always quite keen to try out other 'natural'/'kitcheny' things as skincare. Unfortunately, baking soda has not turned out to be my friend.

My skin: combination, but tending towards being more dry, not acne-prone, a bit of uneven skin-tone, some noticeable pores around my nose, etc. Overall, not super problematic, but with a few normal issues. A lot of cleansers dry my skin out, and I like to use a fairly rich moisturiser.

I've read so many glowing reviews about using baking soda as a mask or exfoliant, so I tried it out a few times. I found out straight away that using it as a mask was too drying for my skin, but the first time I used it as just an exfoliant, I really liked it. I mixed less than a teaspoon of baking soda with just enough water to make it into an easily spreadable paste, massaged it over my face (focusing on the T-zone), then rinsed off with warm water. Seriously, my face looked glowy, my pores seemed less noticeable, and my skin felt SUPER smooth. It did seem to be a little drying, but I've experienced much worse, so I just used a bit extra of my moisturiser, and all was well.

No matter how well this works for you, you shouldn't be using an exfoliant everyday, so I left it for nearly a week before trying it again. The results weren't quite as amazing as the first time, and it seemed a bit more drying, but again i just used a lot of moisturiser and waited for another week before trying it again. Well, every time I've used it since then (which isn't that many, as I don't like torturing my poor face unnecessarily), my skin has been left feeling parched, I've experienced a few dry patches around my chin and nose, and nothing good has come of it. I've tried using it mixed with honey, with coconut oil, with a regular cream cleanser, and while some of those have meant that it hasn't been as harsh, I haven't experienced any great benefits. I've got to the point where I'm not ever planning to use it again, and I'm sticking to my beloved oat routine!

So, if you have skin like mine (or more dry/sensitive) I wouldn't recommend this. Obviously every person can experience different results with the same product, but when it's your skin you're talking about I think it's better to be on the safe side!

The reason that I'm giving this two lippies instead of one, is that I do occasionally use baking soda to help clarify my hair if I have a bit of product buildup, and it works well for that. I just mix a couple of teaspoons into my shampoo (I have very long hair, so I need quite a bit), massage it into my scalp, and then rinse and follow up with a rich conditioner, as it can be (again) a bit drying without something afterwards, and it does work well for that purpose.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by lulu6789

This stuff BURNS! Also not much of a scrubby feeling so it feels like I have not scrubbed away any dead skin cells. Cheap but ineffective

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2014 7:29:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

Some warnings and suggestions:
- baking soda IS abrasive - you can use it as an over cleanser... that says a lot, right?
- it is basic, while your skin needs to be SOUR to protect itself - bacteria thrive better if the skins's pH is basic, so this strips your protective barrier. Can washing your face with this make the skin bleed? Oh yes, it can. If you're using this and leaving it on your face, 30 seconds should be more than enough. Would I use it with my sensitive skin to exfoliate? NEVER.
- it's not good for teeth. It can be used to whiten them, but it will dissolve the enamel. If you have sensitive teeth or problems with carries, don't use this on your teeth!
- DO NOT PUT IT NEAR YOUR GENITALS!!! Your genitals are supposed to be SOUR. If you unbalance the pH, you weaken the protective barrier and can get bacterial vaginosis, which comes with, amongst other things, a fishy smell from your genitals
- I would not want to get this into my eyes, but it's not that bad, really, just wash it out
Truth is: those who can use this on their skin have though skin, although they might not be aware of it.
What I use baking soda for:
- baking - I love it for baking! ;D
- can be used to neutralize glycolic acids: one teaspoon of it in a glass of water (notice how dissolved that is). Glycolic acid by itself is kinda viscous, but when neutralized, it's much easier to rinse off the face
- insect bites - works decently
- a clarifying treatment after using hair oils to avoid build-up (I follow up with white vinegar in water: 2 parts water, one of vinegar, for conditioning). When using this, I just mix some into my shampoo
- to clean glasses. Soetimes my glasses get very oily, to the point that wiping them clean doesn't work - there will still be oily streaks. I then just make a little bit of thick baking powder paste and apply it to the glasses - it dissolved all of the oils - no need for any scrybbing, just apply paste, leave for a little and run the glasses under water :)

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No