Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte - Ultimate Beige #003

3.9

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

The packaging suckers me in every time...it's just so OTT and girly, I had to have it. This is probably my 4th tube of YSL lipstick, and I've disliked every single one of them due to the scent and flavor...I think I'm finally over them. YSL lipsticks are perfumed with an old fashioned floral (violet?) that is somewhat nostalgic of putting on Gram's makeup as a kid...not wholly bad, but it's strong enough that I can smell it over my perfume as I wear them. They also taste like they smell.

While the formula is super nurturing to my lips and highly pigmented, I feel like the thick cream constancy is quite cakey and mature looking (somehow...difficult to explain but it makes my lips look *old*), unless lightly blotted on then blotted off with a tissue. Hence, the formula does nothing to enhance the look of my lips, no matter what color I choose. It also doesn't last more than a half hour.

Beige Ultimate 03 is a mature mlbb shade. On my pink, fair skin, it looks like a warm toned, rosy orangey-brown/nude. It's fairly dark, (even on my pigmented lips), and very pigmented as far as color saturation is concerned. It's just not my color, it's too dark and warm toned for what I like to wear. The closest comparisons that I can make to my current, tiny arsenal is MAC's Half n' Half, which is more brown and lighter in color, more of a true "nude" than Beige Ultimate.

continued >>

This is the bomb diggity for me, so I'm surprised that everyone didn't give it five stars. HG for sure. If I were going on a trip and could only pack one lipstick, this would be it. Wouldn't even have to think about it. Yes, it's quite pricey; but for me it's worth every penny. Very lush, rich, hydrating formula. You don't need any lipgloss on top. I always wear lipgloss on top of my lipstick, but no need to with this beauty. Crazy intense pigmentation. I'm a PPP with full lips that have very, very little pigmentation. The # 003 Ultimate Beige is a pinkish nude with a tiny hint of brown and an even tinier hint of mauve. If my lips had average pigmentation, this would be a bit darker than MLBB. The only thing I don't care for about this lipstick is the scent, a mango-ish, yucky, fruit-ish smell. You smell it while applying, but the scent luckily dissipates almost instantly after. With YSL being French, I'm surprised they didn't go with the classic rose-violet scent that I adore. Wish they had. But other than the short-lived fragrance, YSL's Rouge Volupte is, by far, head and shoulders above all of my other lipsticks.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Rouge Voluptes are my favorite lipsticks, ever!
The formula is absolutely to DIE for--they're the richest, creamiest lipsticks that have ever glided across my lips. They're also rather moisturizing and last all day long. I can apply it once in the morning and not have to worry about it fading, forming patches, or drying out my lips.
The pigmentation is incredible. YSL wasn't joking with the pigments in these! These aren't for the color-shy!
I also love how it has an added SPF 15 (nice bonus) and a satin-to-glossy finish. If I don't want the glossiness then I can just lightly blot. Otherwise, you don't need a lipgloss, unless you want that super-reflective mirror-shine look.
One of the shades that I own is #3 Ultimate Beige. #3 is a full-on warm beige. I'd consider it a nude, but it's a bit darker than the average nude, so I definitely recommend this for those of you with medium, tanned, or dark skin, if you're looking for something that doesn't wash you out or look like concealer lips. I'm NC35, and this remains on eo fmy favorite nudes, right next to MAC Blankety (Blankety is a bit lighter).
The packaging, of course, is absolutely beautiful and definitely beats ANY other lipstick in terms of aesthetics (yes, that includes Chanel, Dior, Guerlain, and Tom Ford, IMO)--they make my MAC lipsticks look like crap lol! The packaging is what drew me to purchase this in the first place!
It retails at $34 each, which isn't cheap, so I recommend you do research and swatch them in-stores before deciding on anything. Sephora only carries 80% of the 30 available shades, so I'd go to Nordstrom instead.
Would I repurchase? Probably not.

on 4/10/2012 3:36:00 PM

Horrible product. This lasts all over 15 minutes on me. The lipsticks including the new rouge pur just disappear on my lip within 30 minutes the most. I think this is disgraceful. I have used their lipsticks for 20 years and now all of their lipsticks are just terrible quality.

on 2/2/2012 10:07:00 PM

I love this lipstick - I've reviewed and done a demo on what to pair with this lipstick on my YouTube channel, go check it out for more details:

Enjoy!!

on 12/26/2011 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This is a really beautiful color, it's like a rosy-maroon color. It's really flattering on all of my makeup looks and goes with everything. The packaging is to-die-for gorgeous. The only bad thing about this lipstick is the lasting power isn't long. It only stays on for an hour or so, but it's still worth buying and is my favorite out of all my lipsticks.

on 8/1/2011 7:41:00 PM

Its not beige on me at all. Its a dusty pink..more dusty than pink (if that makes any sense). I could call it a nude shade, only that its very opaque and higly pigmented. Most pinks wash me out but not this one. it looks satiny. Nothing wow or MLBB about it. I would wear it when Im not in the mood to pick a color. This can go with just about anything. One or 2 swipes are more than enough on my lips.
Something about the packaging: The color behind the YSL logo is pretty close to what the lipstick is. So, kinda make sup for opaque packaging. Not a huge deal, but I notice the little things in life ;)

on 5/25/2011 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Now this is a tuff review.... First let me start by saying I LOVE YSL RV's but this is not the best color for me. When I applied this l/s it matched my already beige lips. When I swatched it in the store on my hand, I could see a deep plum pink...so I thought humm this is a good one, until I put it on my lips at home. I think this color will suit lips that are pink or if you use a pink pencil as a base. I could never wear this l/s alone.

on 4/12/2011 5:20:00 PM

UPDATE: Ok, I wore this all day yesterday. I went to a meeting and after much talking and two cups of tea, this l/s was still on. A bit faded, of course, but pretty much still there. No dryness, either. On the contrary, my lips felt perfectly comfortable even after it faded a bit. I LOVE to reapply it, it feels so good. Makes my lips look lovely. Do not over-apply. It won't look good. I'm sorry it doesn't work for everyone. I love it.

I bought this last week, when I was in Charleston. It was my 'travel splurge.' They had testers at the store, and at first I went for #4 Sweet Honey. But it was too beige and it left me with the much-dreaded 1960s fish-lips. Ew. Colors like that always make me look dead, especially in artificial light.

So I decided to try this one, instead. MUCH better. It's not exactly nude (too dark). And not exactly beige, in spite of the name. On me, this is a brownish pink. A little more on the peach side than I would have liked, but still a very nice shade. Very wearable for day time, but it also looks good in artificial light.

The texture, as everybody else said, is buttery, creamy, luxurious. And I don't exactly know what it is about it, but it makes my lips beautifully defined, though not in a magic-marker way. I'm sorry I can't explain it better. It looks like my lips were made up by a professional MU artist. As the poster before me said, it makes your lips look luscious. Hubby just told me my lips look model-like. Hey, who could ask for more? :)

It's very, very pigmented, so one swipe is all you need. I just applied it so I'll keep you posted about the staying power. It feels very comfortable. Pricey (hence only 4 lippies), but hey, it's YSL, so I didn't expect it to be cheap. And the package is gorgeous. I don't think it's tacky at all. More like a Victorian luxury object. I'll keep you posted.

on 1/30/2011 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

MLBB! Yahoo! This is what I hoped 01 Nude or 02 Sensual Silk would look on me. Those were too chalky my naturally pale mouth just vanished.

On me it was a nude brown mauve that made my lips luscious!

Popular Lipsticks