Urban Decay Grind House (sharpener)

4.6

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 9/2/2013 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Probably the worst sharpener I've ever used. It doesn't provide a smooth edge for the wood/plastic on my makeup products and it eats away at my eyeliner/concealer. I read good things about this but I was extremely disappointed when I used mine and I can't return it. I've used it on more than one occasion. The amount of actual makeup it wastes is ridiculous. I use my ELF sharpener on the pencil and it works way better than UD's! Will not purchase again, and as much as I love the concealer stick by UD, I will have to sacrifice not purchasing THAT again, either, due to the fact that UD's Grindhouse is the only one I've seen with a hole that big.

Bought this after reading all the rave reviews. It now resides in the bottom of a makeup drawer Was not impressed. It consistently gives my eyeliner pencils an incomplete shave. I've long abandoned it in favor of the round, metal and considerably cheaper no-name sharpeners offered by Sally's (which always give a smooth, complete shave).

on 5/14/2013 1:28:00 AM

I didn't think I'd care about a sharpener before. But I love my Grindhouse sharpener! It works so well and the clean-up is easy.

on 4/21/2013 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

This is a good sharpener. It works well on 24/7 liners, and not many do. BUT, I returned mine and won't repurchase because its too expensive. I noticed the blade on this is stamped "Made in Germany" , and it has a little logo on it that looks like a crown or something. I saw this same stamp/logo on the Maybelline Expert Tools duo sharpener, so I picked that one up. Works just as well, for less than half the price.

This is by far, the best sharpener I have ever used!! A little on the pricey side, but totally worth the money! I paid around $10 for it at Ulta. Amazing product. Any other sharpener breaks eyeliners, lip liners, basically every kind of liner. It looks a lot different now than the above pictures. The only downfall is that the top isn't totally secure. When I carry it around in my makeup bag it tends to open thus leaving a mess. Other than that, amazing!

on 2/9/2013 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I selected "NO I wouldn't buy this again" because I discovered that the NYX Sharpener at $4.99 (instead of $10 for this one) is literally the exact same sharpener. Not even just "It kind of resembles it", but the EXACT SAME THING. They are molded identically. They both have German blades. They have the same finger holds, the same pop out blade cleaner, the lids even nestle inside one another perfectly. THe only difference is their color. Save your money and spend $5.00 on the NYX instead! I bought the Grindhouse years ago and love it, but discovered it was identical to the NYX when I purchased one of those for a pencil that wasn't sharpening the way I wanted it to in my Grindhouse. It sharpened the same way in the NYX. Duh.....

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I got one of these with Urban Decay's 15 year anniversary eyeliner set and I haven't felt the need to replace it. Very sharp, easy to empty on both sides, cute design. But most importantly, it does the one thing you expect it to do. Be careful, though - I tried to clean some creamy UD eyeliner off of the blade with an eyeliner brush and I cut half the bristles off, haha. This little sharpener doesn't play around.

on 11/23/2012 9:30:00 PM

I nearly bought the Grindhouse at Sephora for around ten bucks! Yes, I use UD eye pencils, and they do require a specific kind of sharpener to not muck up the core like crazy. However, the Grindhouse is not unique! Make up Forever sells the same model in black for three dollars cheaper, and I'm fairly certain Sephora sells one from the same mould for around 5. I hate how Urban Decay rips people off for something that obviously cost them far less to make than they charge. Check out sharpeners made by others before you buy into the hype UD tries to overcharge you for.

Edit: I recently found an UD sharpener with a different shape. This could be a different Grindhouse: it's got a square top instead of the clear dome-bodied one I've seen so often before. Frankly, I think they just changed the shape because they knew people caught on to their overpricing antics. If you want a cute, UD branded, overpriced sharpener, this is what you want. If you just want what works, go find one of the other brands' version that's reasonably priced. I still use mine made by MUF, and it's still working like a champ on UD pencils.

on 11/4/2012 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

very impressed with this! It's a quality sharpener that doesn't eat up my eyeliners nor does it waste as much of the liners as my older ones did. It also works well with the Sephora Nano liners which are a weird size. You have a push a little more with those but it works. I am impressed!

on 10/22/2012 12:56:00 PM

This sharpener is the best hands down. It is pricey I think because of how long it will last. The blades are super sharp and work on any pencil. It also has a little pick to remove any eyeliner on the blades I love that.

It sharpens all my pencils exactly like they are when there new. I got mine in the Ocho Loco set which, I highly recommend as well. Yes, the writing will come off if it's stored in a place where it rubs against things but in a good bag it stays great. I keep mine with my UD pencils I luv them so<3

It stays so sharp it has put other sharpeners I have used to shame. So in my mind buying this is worth it because you get more usage so it will pay for itself. Urban Decay has great eye products I mean it's really what their known for so this is high quality. I'm very happy with this and would repurchase because of the high quality blades without a doubt.

Top Rated Tools