April 16, 2014 | 2122 users online

Tools - Urban Decay - Grind House (sharpener)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by Spamstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I selected "NO I wouldn't buy this again" because I discovered that the NYX Sharpener at $4.99 (instead of $10 for this one) is literally the exact same sharpener. Not even just "It kind of resembles it", but the EXACT SAME THING. They are molded identically. They both have German blades. They have the same finger holds, the same pop out blade cleaner, the lids even nestle inside one another perfectly. THe only difference is their color. Save your money and spend $5.00 on the NYX instead! I bought the Grindhouse years ago and love it, but discovered it was identical to the NYX when I purchased one of those for a pencil that wasn't sharpening the way I wanted it to in my Grindhouse. It sharpened the same way in the NYX. Duh.....

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 6:41:00 PM More reviews by melangerehab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got one of these with Urban Decay's 15 year anniversary eyeliner set and I haven't felt the need to replace it. Very sharp, easy to empty on both sides, cute design. But most importantly, it does the one thing you expect it to do. Be careful, though - I tried to clean some creamy UD eyeliner off of the blade with an eyeliner brush and I cut half the bristles off, haha. This little sharpener doesn't play around.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/23/2012 9:30:00 PM More reviews by astrogoob

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I nearly bought the Grindhouse at Sephora for around ten bucks! Yes, I use UD eye pencils, and they do require a specific kind of sharpener to not muck up the core like crazy. However, the Grindhouse is not unique! Make up Forever sells the same model in black for three dollars cheaper, and I'm fairly certain Sephora sells one from the same mould for around 5. I hate how Urban Decay rips people off for something that obviously cost them far less to make than they charge. Check out sharpeners made by others before you buy into the hype UD tries to overcharge you for.

Edit: I recently found an UD sharpener with a different shape. This could be a different Grindhouse: it's got a square top instead of the clear dome-bodied one I've seen so often before. Frankly, I think they just changed the shape because they knew people caught on to their overpricing antics. If you want a cute, UD branded, overpriced sharpener, this is what you want. If you just want what works, go find one of the other brands' version that's reasonably priced. I still use mine made by MUF, and it's still working like a champ on UD pencils.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2012 6:18:00 PM More reviews by LuvsMakeup82

very impressed with this! It's a quality sharpener that doesn't eat up my eyeliners nor does it waste as much of the liners as my older ones did. It also works well with the Sephora Nano liners which are a weird size. You have a push a little more with those but it works. I am impressed!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2012 12:56:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This sharpener is the best hands down. It is pricey I think because of how long it will last. The blades are super sharp and work on any pencil. It also has a little pick to remove any eyeliner on the blades I love that.

It sharpens all my pencils exactly like they are when there new. I got mine in the Ocho Loco set which, I highly recommend as well. Yes, the writing will come off if it's stored in a place where it rubs against things but in a good bag it stays great. I keep mine with my UD pencils I luv them so<3

It stays so sharp it has put other sharpeners I have used to shame. So in my mind buying this is worth it because you get more usage so it will pay for itself. Urban Decay has great eye products I mean it's really what their known for so this is high quality. I'm very happy with this and would repurchase because of the high quality blades without a doubt.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 7:56:00 AM More reviews by samsungasong

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

It's about time I got myself a decent sharpener. It comes with a compartment that collects the sharpening’s that can be removed & emptied at your convenience. It is a lovely looking sharpener with a nice patterned UD design. It sharpens beautifully yet at times has a build up of wax from my eyeliner. My old sharpener used to chip the tip off my pencil & never really sharpened my pencil to a decent point. The UD one sharpens like a dream & I'm yet to find out if the build up still occurs with a better quality pencil. I definitely recommend this sharpener & will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2012 7:17:00 AM More reviews by TwiPixie

I didn't believe it was as good as people say but it is, oh boys, IT IS!
I have a couple of eyeliners that either a) break when you try to sharpen them or b) don't ever, ever get a pointy tip. So I caved and got this.

It does look every every other sharpener out there with a nice package. But it does work!

Now all my pencils have sharp points, smooth surfaces, even Milani Liquif'Eye which always look dull.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2012 12:56:00 AM More reviews by InSpirit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had given up using all pencil eyeliners until I found this product. Before owning this I would get one or two good uses out of a pencil-style eyeliner before it'd go dull, and sharpening them using a normal pencil sharpener (the non-electric kind) would do next to nothing.
I read good reviews for this product and decided to give it a try, and I am SO GLAD that I did. Every time I sharpen my eyeliner pencils they look like they're straight out of the package, it brings the tip to a sharp point like you'd see on a lead pencil. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone that wants more precision from their eyeliner. It's small, stylish, and easy to use.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2012 11:32:00 AM More reviews by snowshoe73

This is actually a decent sharpener! I got it as part of the 15th anniversary eyeliner kit and I have to admit I'm impressed with how well it can sharpen pencils. Many other sharpeners either can't get a fine point or cause the liner to break, resulting in more sharpening and wastage. This sharpener gets it right. Chilling the pencils in the freezer for a while improves the sharpening even more--by doing that I am able to get fairly fine points.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2012 11:49:00 AM More reviews by kap112358

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this in a kit with two of the 24/7 liners (which I'm obsessed with...) but for the longest time it was just shoved in the bottom of my makeup bag. I was afraid to use it because I'd destroyed pencils before by using a bad sharpener, and the UD pencils are NOT cheap. I finally used it, however, and I definitely recommend it! I was able to get a good tip on the pencil without shaving off too much of the product or breaking the tip. I think it retails for $10 which is a little pricey, but you really won't need to replace it until it breaks or if it wears down after years of use.