October 21, 2014 | 1002 users online

Tools - Urban Decay - Grind House (sharpener)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/13/2013 3:37:00 PM More reviews by nostalgicbeauty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bought this after reading all the rave reviews. It now resides in the bottom of a makeup drawer Was not impressed. It consistently gives my eyeliner pencils an incomplete shave. I've long abandoned it in favor of the round, metal and considerably cheaper no-name sharpeners offered by Sally's (which always give a smooth, complete shave).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 1:28:00 AM More reviews by aleachhunter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I didn't think I'd care about a sharpener before. But I love my Grindhouse sharpener! It works so well and the clean-up is easy.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2013 6:22:00 PM More reviews by bcbrosemer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a good sharpener. It works well on 24/7 liners, and not many do. BUT, I returned mine and won't repurchase because its too expensive. I noticed the blade on this is stamped "Made in Germany" , and it has a little logo on it that looks like a crown or something. I saw this same stamp/logo on the Maybelline Expert Tools duo sharpener, so I picked that one up. Works just as well, for less than half the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2013 3:24:00 AM More reviews by NewFoundLuv4MU

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is by far, the best sharpener I have ever used!! A little on the pricey side, but totally worth the money! I paid around $10 for it at Ulta. Amazing product. Any other sharpener breaks eyeliners, lip liners, basically every kind of liner. It looks a lot different now than the above pictures. The only downfall is that the top isn't totally secure. When I carry it around in my makeup bag it tends to open thus leaving a mess. Other than that, amazing!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by Spamstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I selected "NO I wouldn't buy this again" because I discovered that the NYX Sharpener at $4.99 (instead of $10 for this one) is literally the exact same sharpener. Not even just "It kind of resembles it", but the EXACT SAME THING. They are molded identically. They both have German blades. They have the same finger holds, the same pop out blade cleaner, the lids even nestle inside one another perfectly. THe only difference is their color. Save your money and spend $5.00 on the NYX instead! I bought the Grindhouse years ago and love it, but discovered it was identical to the NYX when I purchased one of those for a pencil that wasn't sharpening the way I wanted it to in my Grindhouse. It sharpened the same way in the NYX. Duh.....

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 6:41:00 PM More reviews by melangerehab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got one of these with Urban Decay's 15 year anniversary eyeliner set and I haven't felt the need to replace it. Very sharp, easy to empty on both sides, cute design. But most importantly, it does the one thing you expect it to do. Be careful, though - I tried to clean some creamy UD eyeliner off of the blade with an eyeliner brush and I cut half the bristles off, haha. This little sharpener doesn't play around.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/23/2012 9:30:00 PM More reviews by astrogoob

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I nearly bought the Grindhouse at Sephora for around ten bucks! Yes, I use UD eye pencils, and they do require a specific kind of sharpener to not muck up the core like crazy. However, the Grindhouse is not unique! Make up Forever sells the same model in black for three dollars cheaper, and I'm fairly certain Sephora sells one from the same mould for around 5. I hate how Urban Decay rips people off for something that obviously cost them far less to make than they charge. Check out sharpeners made by others before you buy into the hype UD tries to overcharge you for.

Edit: I recently found an UD sharpener with a different shape. This could be a different Grindhouse: it's got a square top instead of the clear dome-bodied one I've seen so often before. Frankly, I think they just changed the shape because they knew people caught on to their overpricing antics. If you want a cute, UD branded, overpriced sharpener, this is what you want. If you just want what works, go find one of the other brands' version that's reasonably priced. I still use mine made by MUF, and it's still working like a champ on UD pencils.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2012 6:18:00 PM More reviews by LuvsMakeup82

very impressed with this! It's a quality sharpener that doesn't eat up my eyeliners nor does it waste as much of the liners as my older ones did. It also works well with the Sephora Nano liners which are a weird size. You have a push a little more with those but it works. I am impressed!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2012 12:56:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This sharpener is the best hands down. It is pricey I think because of how long it will last. The blades are super sharp and work on any pencil. It also has a little pick to remove any eyeliner on the blades I love that.

It sharpens all my pencils exactly like they are when there new. I got mine in the Ocho Loco set which, I highly recommend as well. Yes, the writing will come off if it's stored in a place where it rubs against things but in a good bag it stays great. I keep mine with my UD pencils I luv them so<3

It stays so sharp it has put other sharpeners I have used to shame. So in my mind buying this is worth it because you get more usage so it will pay for itself. Urban Decay has great eye products I mean it's really what their known for so this is high quality. I'm very happy with this and would repurchase because of the high quality blades without a doubt.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 7:56:00 AM More reviews by samsungasong

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

It's about time I got myself a decent sharpener. It comes with a compartment that collects the sharpening’s that can be removed & emptied at your convenience. It is a lovely looking sharpener with a nice patterned UD design. It sharpens beautifully yet at times has a build up of wax from my eyeliner. My old sharpener used to chip the tip off my pencil & never really sharpened my pencil to a decent point. The UD one sharpens like a dream & I'm yet to find out if the build up still occurs with a better quality pencil. I definitely recommend this sharpener & will repurchase.