Urban Decay Grind House (sharpener)

4.6

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Did I get a complete dud or do I just not know how to sharpen eyeliner??

For pencil liner I basically use UD exclusively so I thought this would be a great tool to sharpen them with--

This thing is awful.

It had a really crappy grasp and kept losing grip of the pencil. I had to keep repositioning the pencil to sharpen it. The case is opaque so when I go to clean it I find pencil wax ALLOVER the inner metal- meaning a ton of product was wasted. And my pencil didn't even come to a full point.

My sephora house brand sharpener was $2 and is immensely better than this.

So disappointed. I don't know what will be more annoying - holding on to this junky thing or making a special trip out to sephora to return a $10 sharpener. UGH

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Best sharpener I've ever tried. Sharpens the UD 24/7 pencils very well.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Mine doesn't have the clear top like the picture, the whole thing is the standard UD purple, with UD Grindhouse written in silver lettering, with the standard two wholes (small and large). I really like this sharpener, I personally think it works better than any other sharpener I've tried. I've used all different brands of eyeliner, pencil lipsticks, and lip liner in it, and it works well for all of them. The purple top stays on really nice, but comes off when you need it to. My favorite part of this sharpener, is the little pick it comes with inside, and the slot that you can keep it in! It's so convenient to have it right there for when you need to clean out the shavings. I think it's worth the money to invest in this sharpener. I'm sure I'll have it for a long time.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

It's true; it works. This sharpener sharpens wooden pencils with almost no effort at all. The plastic pencils are more of a challenge. I don't think I'll ever get a perfect point on my Urban Decay 24/7, but it works if you sharpen SLOWLY. I think that's the key. Note: I was using a dollar sharpener before, and it tried to eat my 24/7. So, $10 seemed pricey for a sharpener, but--really--how many years will pass before I decide I need a new one. I had the dollar cheapo longer than I had my kids, so the Grind House is a good deal. Just buy it; it will only hurt for a second.

UPDATE: still works

This is an OK product, nothing to brag about. I already had a sharpener but it didn't work for the UD lip super saturated high gloss lip pencils, so I bought this. It does sharpen, of course, but I don't like that there is nowhere to house the shavings in. You essentially have to sharpen over a trash can to get rid of the shavings and that's not always ideal. You can find another sharpener for much less that does the same job (and has room for shavings).

I liked this product when I first purchased it. It worked great on pencils, there was definately less waste on my makeup pencils. Then I found the essence sharpener! This works the exact same, comes in a variety of cute colors unlike Urban Decay which only do purple. Also there a stick of plastic when you remove the top plastic covering on both brands - the stick on the Urban Decay is loose and keeps falling out everywhere. For the price of 8 euro you would think this would be perfect...get the essence one for 1.29 euro...and get a few back ups :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Probably the worst sharpener I've ever used. It doesn't provide a smooth edge for the wood/plastic on my makeup products and it eats away at my eyeliner/concealer. I read good things about this but I was extremely disappointed when I used mine and I can't return it. I've used it on more than one occasion. The amount of actual makeup it wastes is ridiculous. I use my ELF sharpener on the pencil and it works way better than UD's! Will not purchase again, and as much as I love the concealer stick by UD, I will have to sacrifice not purchasing THAT again, either, due to the fact that UD's Grindhouse is the only one I've seen with a hole that big.

Bought this after reading all the rave reviews. It now resides in the bottom of a makeup drawer Was not impressed. It consistently gives my eyeliner pencils an incomplete shave. I've long abandoned it in favor of the round, metal and considerably cheaper no-name sharpeners offered by Sally's (which always give a smooth, complete shave).

I didn't think I'd care about a sharpener before. But I love my Grindhouse sharpener! It works so well and the clean-up is easy.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

This is a good sharpener. It works well on 24/7 liners, and not many do. BUT, I returned mine and won't repurchase because its too expensive. I noticed the blade on this is stamped "Made in Germany" , and it has a little logo on it that looks like a crown or something. I saw this same stamp/logo on the Maybelline Expert Tools duo sharpener, so I picked that one up. Works just as well, for less than half the price.

Top Rated Urban Decay Products