October 26, 2014 | 873 users online

Palettes - Coastal Scents - 88 eyeshadow palette

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2013 11:18:00 PM More reviews by ihoardmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm just going to be straight up: I do not like this palette. Even for the price point, these are not good. I'm not saying that all of them are awful, but even the ones with good pigmentation do not last because they have such a thin texture. Its very difficult to pick up product, and when you do get some it wears off and creases like nobody's business. I bought mine for like $15 ( bought the shimmer palette too, which is slightly better) so I wasn't too upset about losing money... Although I haven't had good experiences with this palette, try some of the hot pots! They are significantly better. Way better. And still pretty cheap. Overall, even if I was a beginner, I wouldn't buy this. The rest is nice though... packaging is fine, price is good... but the product is not too great :( i really wanted to like this.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2013 2:32:00 AM More reviews by gdallar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great beginners palette. To experiment with both colors and neutrals, matte really are the way to go. The price tag is greatly affordable, the shadows are vivid and there is a lot of room to try out different things. If you already have a lot of makeup, this may not be for you, I won't be repurchasing, but for a makeup newbie this is a gem!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 3:12:00 PM More reviews by PandaKat915

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my go to palette when doing my everyday makeup. I've had it forever. One of the pots was broken upon receiving the package, but because it was a color that I don't normally use ever, it wasn't a major issue. I recommend this palette for people looking for a lot of variety on a small budget.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by RoseeO

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nice selection of colors. Some are matte and some are shimmery. All the colors you need in one palette. Some of the colors are chalky and are hard to work with, but thats just a few. I got this palette when I was a beginner with makeup. I use the dark brown next to the black on the bottom right to fill in my brows. nice pallete to have in your makeup collection. I would order again but I don't think I'll have to because they last a very long time.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/27/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by jrbeauty76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I gotta tell you...I used NYX Eyeshadow Base on my hand, and swatched some of these. Not only did they have decent to good pigment (yeah, some of them suck, but any that don't go on strongly work beautifully used wet) , but they stayed on even after running my hand under warm water. So, people complaining that they aren't very pigmented may not be using a base. Yeah, they don't stick to bare skin...but who doesn't use a primer?? As for them being chalky...maybe the people making that complaint don't really understand the difference between Matte shadows and Shimmer shadows...a true matte shadow, even a good one is going to appear chalky when it first goes on...once it settles into the skin it will look richer and smoother. You can't just put something on and expect it to look perfect from the getgo...eyeshadow always looks better after it works into the skin.

As a makeup artist, I have to say that I'm not going to spend money on MAC eyeshadows when I'm looking to use colors that are out of the ordinary. A good makeup artist can make great use of these shadows.

What I think these palettes offer as well, is an opportunity to choose your favorite colors and the ones that you run out of you can see as ones you'd invest in buying a comparable MAC shadow.

I'm a professional makeup artist, and I love these. And, the Metal Mania palette...really super!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2012 6:03:00 PM More reviews by MichellePalmer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased the 88 palette in 2009 when all the youtube gurus raved about it. For the price, the quality was awesome and the shadows had great pigment and lasting power. HOWEVER.... I recently purchased it again (Nov. 2012) and the quality seems to have gone way down. The eyeshadows are on par with cheap drugstore makeup and barely show up. Luckily I got it on sale for $8.88 this time.
On a positive note, shipping was super fast from the Coastal Scents website. I live across the country and got it in 2 days.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2012 5:37:00 AM More reviews by SallytheCat

I really like this product. It has so many colours and the shipping was so fast but a bit expensive. The product was cheap though. It's smaller than I expected but I'm happy I have so many colours now. It's really you get what you pay for so obviously you can't compare to mac but the price is really good, especially if you're just starting out with makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2012 6:56:00 PM More reviews by Karowin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have the 88 warm palette and the original 88 but I found that I used this one the most! I've had it for years now, and they are perfect as when I first bought them. I would definitely buy it again, whenever it runs out (which I don't see any time soon!). I used this with my Too Faced primer and it works perfect!
I would say 98% of the pots are very well pigmented, then there are those that aren't so much... but usually you can find a color that is similar if you must have it :P
You need to buy this, it's amazing!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2012 8:11:00 AM More reviews by missdenise

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Got the palette a few months ago, and the delivery was fast! I love the package and they gave me a free eye-shadow sample - too! Not a usual thing.
As a beginner, I really love this palette and great colors to chose from. But it's not for a pro make up artists.
Sometimes the colors doesn't show a lot, but I still think it is a great palette.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2012 8:54:00 PM More reviews by cupcakeofmylife

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought mine off Coastal Scents website and I am actually really pleased with their service. It took 1.5 weeks to ship to Australia.
What I think is that Coastal Scents products are over hyped. Sometimes even way over hyped. But I do admit that their products are extremely cheap, and extremely worth the money.
I am pointing out to those youtubers and bloggers who rave about this palette and saying that 'the shadows are extremely pigmented, buttery and great for makeup artists'. It's not entirely true.
First of all, the pigmentation of their shadows are inconsistent (some mattes are powdery, some are not pigmented at all, some are very pigmented, some are buttery and some are hard as rock).
Second, they're not buttery!! They feel a bit gritty when swatched, it feels a little 'cheap' (even my essence shadows feel so much softer).
Third and last, they're not exactly for makeup artists! Well, to some extent, like new makeup artists who are just starting out, yes. But I feel the quality of the shadows don't live up to makeup artists' standard (they're definitely not comparable to MAC's, i mean, even the cheap Essence brand, which is my fave).

However, there is no point in complaining, get one and see for yourself. I am getting myself a 120 palette soon but I don't think I will be purchasing off CS website, since I feel the quality of the shadows will probably be the same as the Chinese reselller ones (except it doesnt have the CS logo on it) and it's much cheaper (in terms of product, and shipping).