July 31, 2014 | 2046 users online

Palettes - Coastal Scents - 88 eyeshadow palette

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 3:12:00 PM More reviews by PandaKat915

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my go to palette when doing my everyday makeup. I've had it forever. One of the pots was broken upon receiving the package, but because it was a color that I don't normally use ever, it wasn't a major issue. I recommend this palette for people looking for a lot of variety on a small budget.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by RoseeO

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nice selection of colors. Some are matte and some are shimmery. All the colors you need in one palette. Some of the colors are chalky and are hard to work with, but thats just a few. I got this palette when I was a beginner with makeup. I use the dark brown next to the black on the bottom right to fill in my brows. nice pallete to have in your makeup collection. I would order again but I don't think I'll have to because they last a very long time.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/27/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by jrbeauty76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I gotta tell you...I used NYX Eyeshadow Base on my hand, and swatched some of these. Not only did they have decent to good pigment (yeah, some of them suck, but any that don't go on strongly work beautifully used wet) , but they stayed on even after running my hand under warm water. So, people complaining that they aren't very pigmented may not be using a base. Yeah, they don't stick to bare skin...but who doesn't use a primer?? As for them being chalky...maybe the people making that complaint don't really understand the difference between Matte shadows and Shimmer shadows...a true matte shadow, even a good one is going to appear chalky when it first goes on...once it settles into the skin it will look richer and smoother. You can't just put something on and expect it to look perfect from the getgo...eyeshadow always looks better after it works into the skin.

As a makeup artist, I have to say that I'm not going to spend money on MAC eyeshadows when I'm looking to use colors that are out of the ordinary. A good makeup artist can make great use of these shadows.

What I think these palettes offer as well, is an opportunity to choose your favorite colors and the ones that you run out of you can see as ones you'd invest in buying a comparable MAC shadow.

I'm a professional makeup artist, and I love these. And, the Metal Mania palette...really super!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2012 6:03:00 PM More reviews by MichellePalmer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased the 88 palette in 2009 when all the youtube gurus raved about it. For the price, the quality was awesome and the shadows had great pigment and lasting power. HOWEVER.... I recently purchased it again (Nov. 2012) and the quality seems to have gone way down. The eyeshadows are on par with cheap drugstore makeup and barely show up. Luckily I got it on sale for $8.88 this time.
On a positive note, shipping was super fast from the Coastal Scents website. I live across the country and got it in 2 days.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2012 5:37:00 AM More reviews by SallytheCat

I really like this product. It has so many colours and the shipping was so fast but a bit expensive. The product was cheap though. It's smaller than I expected but I'm happy I have so many colours now. It's really you get what you pay for so obviously you can't compare to mac but the price is really good, especially if you're just starting out with makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2012 6:56:00 PM More reviews by Karowin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have the 88 warm palette and the original 88 but I found that I used this one the most! I've had it for years now, and they are perfect as when I first bought them. I would definitely buy it again, whenever it runs out (which I don't see any time soon!). I used this with my Too Faced primer and it works perfect!
I would say 98% of the pots are very well pigmented, then there are those that aren't so much... but usually you can find a color that is similar if you must have it :P
You need to buy this, it's amazing!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2012 8:11:00 AM More reviews by missdenise

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Got the palette a few months ago, and the delivery was fast! I love the package and they gave me a free eye-shadow sample - too! Not a usual thing.
As a beginner, I really love this palette and great colors to chose from. But it's not for a pro make up artists.
Sometimes the colors doesn't show a lot, but I still think it is a great palette.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2012 8:54:00 PM More reviews by cupcakeofmylife

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought mine off Coastal Scents website and I am actually really pleased with their service. It took 1.5 weeks to ship to Australia.
What I think is that Coastal Scents products are over hyped. Sometimes even way over hyped. But I do admit that their products are extremely cheap, and extremely worth the money.
I am pointing out to those youtubers and bloggers who rave about this palette and saying that 'the shadows are extremely pigmented, buttery and great for makeup artists'. It's not entirely true.
First of all, the pigmentation of their shadows are inconsistent (some mattes are powdery, some are not pigmented at all, some are very pigmented, some are buttery and some are hard as rock).
Second, they're not buttery!! They feel a bit gritty when swatched, it feels a little 'cheap' (even my essence shadows feel so much softer).
Third and last, they're not exactly for makeup artists! Well, to some extent, like new makeup artists who are just starting out, yes. But I feel the quality of the shadows don't live up to makeup artists' standard (they're definitely not comparable to MAC's, i mean, even the cheap Essence brand, which is my fave).

However, there is no point in complaining, get one and see for yourself. I am getting myself a 120 palette soon but I don't think I will be purchasing off CS website, since I feel the quality of the shadows will probably be the same as the Chinese reselller ones (except it doesnt have the CS logo on it) and it's much cheaper (in terms of product, and shipping).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2012 12:59:00 PM More reviews by bigbeautiecutie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Let me give you some background info first before I dive into this product.

I'm young, I am 16 , so money just doesn't grow on trees for me. Haha. I don't have a steady job yet and I'm not a professional, so you can see where the bias come.

Now to the review- I LOVE this palette, for a couple different reasons.

1. The colors - I love all these colors ; they are bright, pretty, and REALLY fun to play around. I would say this is more an amateur palette. I did stage makeup for a community theater's play of "The Little Mermaid", so it was an awesome go-to for the greens and the blues and i made some pretty blended looks. They do blend very well. The colors for me are a 10, but once again thats bias...because I don't really work with everyday looks.

2. The Pigmentation - Its pretty well pigmented, I mean its not amazing but the coloring is pretty decent, especially the dark colors. They all are awesome except some of the lighter colors I feel aren't as pigmented. I'd give the pigmentation a 7.5

3. The Price/Shipping/Overall - Is amazing lets just say that. I think I got the palette for 19 with shipping, but they gave me like some weird discount. I also received a little pot of a free sample of their mineral eyeshadow, which was a cute and awesome surprise, I love it. There was an "I <3 Makeup" bumper sticker in the box too, which is ADORABLE. The packaging was good, everything came intact and nothing was damaged or broken. I give it a 9. :-)

If you want to check out any of my work, check out my instagram page @makeupbymadz , and you can see that look I was talking about from the Little Mermaid using all costal scents colors from the palette! Be sure to follow me if you like what you see ! thanks! :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2012 7:01:00 AM More reviews by valirita

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i bought it and i love it!!