April 25, 2014 | 924 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Loose Setting Powder - Translucent

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 8:04:00 PM More reviews by mecepeda

I have been using this product for some years now. While I am normally skeptical about "translucent" cosmetics, as they generally appear far too light for my NC 35/40+ olive skin, this is truly a translucent powder. I use it year around to set my makeup, and I find that it's not only finely milled, but that it also works particularly well to set any extra foundation or concealer that I use over complexion flaws (I recommend the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage brush for this purpose as well - I have also reviewed that item). It never appears cakey or builds up on my face, but this might be due in part to the fact that I am careful not to apply an excessive amount, and use blotting papers to control shine for the rest of the day. One container of this powder lasts me a very long time, despite almost daily use, and I like the sturdy screw-top container...it can easily be thrown into my makeup bag for travel without any worries about spills, which I appreciate. Definitely a staple for me, and a product that I would recommend to anyone.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2012 8:00:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

Having read good reviews of this product and watching several make up gurus rave about it, I decided to try it. Although I like it well enough and have used it off an on for over three + months, I can't say I find it better than any other high end loose powder that I have purchased; it seems similar to Nars' loose powder, for example. I am finding that the older I get, the more careful I have to be with all types of powders - since they settle in my lines and wrinkles. I do always finish my makeup with a dusting of powder but these days I make sure it is finely milled and then spritz with Urban Decay's All Nighter. Don't think I will repurchase this but rather try something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2012 8:21:00 AM More reviews by mikaavila94

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This powder was recommended by both Tanya Burr (pixi2woo on YT) and Christine from Temptalia so I saved up for it and it was so worth it. On my skin tone, I can attest that this powder is truly translucent. Also it feels so light and though it mattifies it doesn't cake up, instead it sets my foundation to the point where it looks like my very own skin (but better lol). The oil control depends on the heat in your country (in that case the problem is sweat more than oil) so yeah, maybe not so good oil control but it does keep my makeup in place and preps for good blending. Highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2012 2:50:00 PM More reviews by ktann916

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is one of my personal favorites from LM so far. A makeup artist I know told me to take a fan brush, swirl it around in just a tiny bit of of the setting powder and lightly sweep it over my cheeks, nose, forehead, etc. A little goes a long way! And while I'm still trying to decide if I like my creme foundation or return it for the tinted moisturizer,this product is a keeper! And I know it will last a very long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2012 9:57:00 PM More reviews by naralph

Surprisingly, really unimpressed with this setting powder. Perhaps it's the way I'm using it (powder brush). I might try another more pressed method, but so far not loving the results. May update once I've tried another way...

Updated 21.11.12 - I love this stuff. Granted, I need to use a good primer and foundation for it to adhere to, but when I do that - wow. Great stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2012 11:35:00 PM More reviews by bumblebee770

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this in winter and MUFE Super Matte Loose Powder in summer. Works great to set foundation or tinted moisterizer and never irritates my skin. Not a terrible value either for the 1 ounce size.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2012 1:35:00 PM More reviews by dlopez87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product does very little to reduce shine long term. Yeah its nice and sets my foundation or concealer, but I kind of just go through the motions since i paid so much for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by Kfunk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I always hated loose powders, mostly because of the messiness UNTIL I got this powder. I received a deluxe sample of this with a LM counter purchase. This is the ONLY powder that controls my oily skin all day. I previously used MAC Blot Powder. I will definitely be purchasing a full size when I'm done with the sample!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2012 10:07:00 PM More reviews by annalynne

This is quite expensive, but you get a lot of product $34/1 oz. It's translucent and doesn't leave a white cast behind. I wouldn't say that it gives a matte finish, more like a natural semi-matte. The product is really sheer, so i have to apply more than usual.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by mariannepilgaard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

So easy to get a natural result with this powder. Classic loose powder packaging - jar with screw top, dispensing plastic lid underneath. I have used this several months on a regular basis (at least a few times a week) and it still looks like it is completely full - you get a lot of mileage out of this one...