August 29, 2014 | 1682 users online

Sunscreen - Aveeno - Active Naturals Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 55

rated 1 of 5 on 3/23/2010 7:23:00 PM More reviews by JennlovesRob

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm very disappointed in this sunscreen, for numerous factors. The smell is truly strong and not in any way pleasant, it lingers on my skin and even provoked headaches on every occasion I've worn this. Which is the main reason I stopped using it. Other things that disappointed me was that is peeled up on fresh clean skin that had no makeup or powders put on over it. It does have a very strong white cast also, but most do. The white cast doesn't bother me, since I'm quite pale already. Another thing that is making me trash this sunscreen, is that according to EWG, it's a health hazard and not one of the most effective sun protection out there. It will break down, being a chemical sunscreen, so I can't imagine anybody wearing this under makeup, since it will have to be re-applied. It also contains oxybenzone, an active ingredient, which has been shown to be dangerous. So, it's not as gentle as I hoped Aveeno products would be. I'm un-impressed by this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2009 5:38:00 PM More reviews by candy_hunter

This sunblock is great! I apply this on my face after using Thayer's alcohol-free witch hazel toner and Dermalogica's skin hydrating booster while my face is still moist. It spreads evenly on my face with no white cast. This product even helped control oil and keep my face matte for hours! Makeup goes on smoothly too! I love it! I will definitely try the one formulated for face next time.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2009 2:24:00 PM More reviews by damselfly1213

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Goes on like white paste. It settled so thickly into my pores it took forever to rub it in. I only applied a thin film and the more I tried blending it, the more it "peeled" away in clumps. I may use the rest of the tube on the back of my hands, but I won't repurchase. It's way too much mess and bother to apply. There are other effective sunscreens on the market with better textures.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2009 9:43:00 AM More reviews by TheEmpress

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'vd tried a number of expensive sunblocks over the years but somehow I keep coming back to this one. Yes it leaves a slight white cast but there are not many good sunblocks that do not. You must take the time to really rub this into your skin at least 15minutes before going into the sun. It also acts as a moisturizer. It's loaded with Vitamin E to protect and repair sun damage.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/27/2009 7:34:00 PM More reviews by angeltearsofthenight

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

If I could give this product a 0 lippie, I definitely would! The sunscreen caused me to have a horrible rash EVERYWHERE on my body, wearing it just for one day! I don't understand what they put into this stuff, but I have NEVER had any reaction to skincare products like this!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2009 8:37:00 PM More reviews by luv4juicy5308

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

OMG, this is one of the best sunscreen I've ever used before. The scent isn't that bad as a lot of you had mentioned. and yes it does irritated my eyes are little but as long as I don't put it too close to my eyes I'm fine. I'm usually not a big fan of sunscreen because it's always sticky and greasy, but this just feels nice on, I can't even tell I have sunscreen on. I can't believe only 25% would repurchase this. I would def. repurchase this when I run out.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2008 3:02:00 PM More reviews by Virgo03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I thought an Aveeno product would be gentle, but I was wrong! This sunblock irritated my skin and made my eyes water more than most other brands I've tried. I also had a major "residue" problem with it. It requires a ton of blending, and even then sometimes the little white "cumbs" would get into my hair. Yuck!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2008 8:19:00 AM More reviews by iloveMnMs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

AWFUL!! I was very dissapointed with this sunscreen. The scent is really terrible, I couldn't handle it. It leaves skin very greasy. It's extremely thick and doesn't rub in well, giving a very white cast that you can't get rid of. I gave up using it on my face but hated to waste it so I tried to use it up on my arms. Bad idea. I got tons of little red bumps like a rash. I *never* get a rash! Unfortunately, it went in the garbage.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2008 1:15:00 AM More reviews by MissMelissa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this up for my Mom, who just started using Retin-A and needs a good sunscreen to wear ion her face and neck daily. She drives quite a distance, in the sun, to go to work and it's not air-conditioned. My HG, Clarins UV 40 is just too expensive, in her opinion. I'm searching for a UVA/UVB sunscreen that won't get into her eyes, sweat off, break her out or irritate her skin.
I tested this and I thought it would be perfect to use on the face. I mean, the bottle says "Oil-Free - Non-Greasy - Non-Comedogenic and Waterproof". It doesn't list any oil and it probably is waterproof because there's almost no water in it, but it's definitely GREASY. Can't comment on the non-comedogenic because I only used it once and that's enough for me. I'm not passing it on to my Mom either, I'm returning it or swapping it.
This was the highest SPF that Aveeno had, while still containing Vitamins C & E. (The higher their sunscreens, the less vitamins they contained. Not sure why, stabilization problem maybe?) It claims to have "Natural Soy and Vitamins C & E". Going through the ingredients was a bit disappointing. The Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) was the first "inactive ingredient", which is great news...but the supposed all-star in this, the Soybean (protein) is TWO past the Fragrance! The vitamin E? It's TEN past the fragrance and it's also after the preservatives! That's bad news! Another thing is water is the second to last ingredient, so of course it feels greasy and thick! It IS! If I could have read the ingredient list, I would not have purchased this. Unfortunately, it was covered with plastic to hold a mini-sample of their Daily Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 15. (I used that on my face and I like it much better then this product--will review soon!). The fragrance isn't all that special. I don't use Aveeno and I'm guessing all the products have the same or a similar scent.
I think I'll try Neutrogena Dry Touch or their Anti-Aging Face Care next. The only reason I didn't is because I though this was a good deal: the SA had a coupon for it and it had a 1oz sample too. The bottom line: This might be okay for the beach or if you are swimming, but it's too thick for daily use, especially on the face. It's just not what I was looking for.