Aveeno Active Naturals Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 55

2.8

on 5/23/2010 3:13:00 AM

First time I tried this sunscreen, I think I used most of it on my neck and sparingly on the rest of my body. This was when I was on a vacation and in a hot area, so I figured maybe it was the climate that made me react that way. I also had a different face lotion, so I figured the face lotion was the culprit for the burning sensation that happened when I got back to the hotel. I ended up with hives on my neck from possibly the face lotion, sunscreen and a food allergy.

I tried this sunscreen again after the initial set of hives went down, and once again... small itchy bumps all over my skin at random times. And on my neck I have red patches of itchy marks at random places on my neck. Then I came and read the reviews here to find that a few other people had the same itchy red bumps reaction, and the review about it being the most chemical/unsafe sunscreen... Aish. In the trash this thing goes! Don't get it. The quest for a sunscreen that doesn't break me out continues on...

on 5/6/2010 8:30:00 PM

This sunblock is great! Got it as a sample from a dermatologist friend and have been using it daily for about a week.

There's no noticeable smell, or even white cast as others have reviewed. I'm not quite sure if it's used for the face or the body or both, but I've been using it solely on my face (skipping my regular moisturizer) and I love the texture. It sinks immediately into the skin and leaves it soft with a slight film. I've used liquid and powder foundation over it and haven't had any problems. Didn't break me out either. For those with problems, you may need to add makeup base for different results.

I've never been let down with any of Aveeno's products, this one included. This product is oil free and I don't notice any greasiness - that may be due to your own additional products that you use. It gives an spf of 55 and both uva/uvb protection. My facial skin stays moisturized and hydrated way beyond 12 hours. I'd definitely purchase this product if spending a lot of time outdoors and during the summer.

on 3/23/2010 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm very disappointed in this sunscreen, for numerous factors. The smell is truly strong and not in any way pleasant, it lingers on my skin and even provoked headaches on every occasion I've worn this. Which is the main reason I stopped using it. Other things that disappointed me was that is peeled up on fresh clean skin that had no makeup or powders put on over it. It does have a very strong white cast also, but most do. The white cast doesn't bother me, since I'm quite pale already. Another thing that is making me trash this sunscreen, is that according to EWG, it's a health hazard and not one of the most effective sun protection out there. It will break down, being a chemical sunscreen, so I can't imagine anybody wearing this under makeup, since it will have to be re-applied. It also contains oxybenzone, an active ingredient, which has been shown to be dangerous. So, it's not as gentle as I hoped Aveeno products would be. I'm un-impressed by this product.

on 9/21/2009 5:38:00 PM

This sunblock is great! I apply this on my face after using Thayer's alcohol-free witch hazel toner and Dermalogica's skin hydrating booster while my face is still moist. It spreads evenly on my face with no white cast. This product even helped control oil and keep my face matte for hours! Makeup goes on smoothly too! I love it! I will definitely try the one formulated for face next time.

Goes on like white paste. It settled so thickly into my pores it took forever to rub it in. I only applied a thin film and the more I tried blending it, the more it "peeled" away in clumps. I may use the rest of the tube on the back of my hands, but I won't repurchase. It's way too much mess and bother to apply. There are other effective sunscreens on the market with better textures.

on 6/7/2009 9:43:00 AM

I'vd tried a number of expensive sunblocks over the years but somehow I keep coming back to this one. Yes it leaves a slight white cast but there are not many good sunblocks that do not. You must take the time to really rub this into your skin at least 15minutes before going into the sun. It also acts as a moisturizer. It's loaded with Vitamin E to protect and repair sun damage.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

If I could give this product a 0 lippie, I definitely would! The sunscreen caused me to have a horrible rash EVERYWHERE on my body, wearing it just for one day! I don't understand what they put into this stuff, but I have NEVER had any reaction to skincare products like this!!!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

OMG, this is one of the best sunscreen I've ever used before. The scent isn't that bad as a lot of you had mentioned. and yes it does irritated my eyes are little but as long as I don't put it too close to my eyes I'm fine. I'm usually not a big fan of sunscreen because it's always sticky and greasy, but this just feels nice on, I can't even tell I have sunscreen on. I can't believe only 25% would repurchase this. I would def. repurchase this when I run out.

on 8/9/2008 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I thought an Aveeno product would be gentle, but I was wrong! This sunblock irritated my skin and made my eyes water more than most other brands I've tried. I also had a major "residue" problem with it. It requires a ton of blending, and even then sometimes the little white "cumbs" would get into my hair. Yuck!

on 6/29/2008 8:19:00 AM

AWFUL!! I was very dissapointed with this sunscreen. The scent is really terrible, I couldn't handle it. It leaves skin very greasy. It's extremely thick and doesn't rub in well, giving a very white cast that you can't get rid of. I gave up using it on my face but hated to waste it so I tried to use it up on my arms. Bad idea. I got tons of little red bumps like a rash. I *never* get a rash! Unfortunately, it went in the garbage.