April 18, 2014 | 921 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Dark Brown

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2013 9:27:00 PM More reviews by smn864

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

With 45 staring me down and me tired of shelling out close to $200 every 6 weeks for a cut and color at my salon, I decided to bite the bullet and try this color at home. I should mention I've been using, off and on, Natural Instincts but found it not cover my gray hair at all.

Used the Colorsilks Dark Brown #30. My hair is naturally very dark brown so this looked closest to my normal shade. Super easy to apply, has little smell, and in 25 minutes my hair looks great. It is a tad closer to soft black, but I expected it to be based on prior reviews. I assume it will fade out in the next week. My hair is super soft thanks to the conditioner, and the best part is the color is not one flat-matte-shade. I actually have tones and subtle highlights (dark red) throughout. I love it. No itchy scalp, minimal dripping during application, and my hair feels good after I dried it.

If it lasts me 4-6 weeks I'll definitely repurchase. Can't beat it for the price - under $5 at Walgreens.

(I know everybody critiques the packaging, but I still give it 5 stars for just putting out a good product - I don't need the bells and whistles of packaging)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2013 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have had brown hair for about 4 weeks now. I have had blonde/red and light brown prior to using this haircolor. The base was a level 6 brown when I applied this but a persistent and nagging problem was the red undertone and nothing covered it up - L'Oreal, Revlon Prof. Well, Feria, Alfaparf, hello?? .. it was silly. I picked this up on a whim. In the past, I have used the 72 (strawberry blonde) which was fantastic at the time. But time and life has made me move on to my darker side.

Color: Perfect dark brown with no undertones of either gold or red. Not flat, just dark shiny hair
Texture: Perfect shiny hair especially for damaged hair. My hair is damaged beyond belief, but this gave me magnificent shine and volume.

ok, so we all know the box is crappy. the gloves are measly and the conditioner is great. But what I had forgotten was that consistency of color and texture of my hair after I used this was even better than my salon visits and about $ 200 less!

I think that speaks for itself .. while I do not recommend some of the blonde colors in this line, the Reds are stunning and the browns are also.

Excellent buy and highly recomended.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2013 3:47:00 PM More reviews by kahou79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is one of the best haircolors that I've tried and it's soooo cheap! My hair used to always get a reddish hue a couple weeks after coloring and I tired so many different brands with no luck. This does not turn red at all and it's a very quality product which I've been using a couple years now. I am quite pale, NC15ish, and the color is fairly dark but about the same color as my natural hair. Even though I'm only 33 I have a lot of grey coming in on my temples and around my hairline that I want to cover up. This does a wonderful job and I will keep on using it.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by mariefranci

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So i dyed my hair with colorsilk dark brown today. I was HOPING that it will cover this brassy red tone in my hair. It fixed it a little bit but i still have some redness in my hair. Overall, its a beautiful colour though. If you have very light hair, this colour might be a shock to you at first. It is a little darker than it shows on the box, but it isn't black. I actually wish my hair turned out darker.. Maybe next time I will try the brown black dye.

PROS:
- cheap
- no burning
- smell's decent
- ammonia free! yay!
- shiny/smooh
- pretty colour
- easy to apply

CONS:
- didn't cover redness/brassiness completely
- ends are a little dry (but i wont blame this ENTIRELY on the dye ..since winter just passed)
- I wish the conditioner came in a tube for future use.
- my hair felt tangled after I washed out the colour

TIPS: If you have long hair, you WILL need two boxes. I never used two boxes in my life with other brands and I always had long hair.

I like this hair colour and I like this brand. Natural Instincts semi permanent is what I usually buy because my hair feels more healthy with semi. BUUT i tried a semi and it wasnt covering this redness so thats why I tried revlon.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2013 1:19:00 AM More reviews by birdmom3

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I mix two dyes a dark brown and an auburn brown. I use it every month. And the price is right. It lasts and since my gray shows up after 4 weeks or more, it is cheaper than going to a salon.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 3:05:00 AM More reviews by Rebecca753

I just tried this for the first time, and I want all my money back that I've wasted on Feria, and other, more expensive dyes. This is great. I'm wearing my hair shorter now, at about ear/chin length. Any longer and I'd need two boxes, but even two boxes are cheaper than one box of Feria or Olia. I will definitely repurchase. It has only been a few days, so I don't know how it fades, but at this price, I can touch up more often. The color is natural and neutral, it is very dark without looking black. I've used Feria in Espresso and Olia 4.0 and this blends nicely into those. I can't believe this has been right there on the shelf all this time and I never bought it because it looks "old" and unsexy. This is great, what a great find.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2013 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Carbonara2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this dye.

So here's the scoop. I love dark hair but every once a while I get the urge to go a little bit lighter. So in January I paid $216 to get balayage highlights! I specifically told my colorist the LAST thing I wanted was reddish, brassy, warm highlights and of course that is exactly what I ended up with.

After 2 months, I couldn't take it anymore so I decided I wanted to keep the lightness but cool it down with a ashy, cool-based light brown dye. The dye worked temporarily but after a few washings to ended up with what I refer to as "dishwater" blonde and that is when I had enough. F the blonde- I want beautiful dark hair.

So of course I came to MUA and read all the wonderful reviews on Colorsilk's Dark Brown. I'm a pretty light- skinned caucasian so my main concern was the dye coming out too dark, essentially black, like the other reviews stated. Not wanting the roots to get too dark I started at the ends and worked my way up. I left the dye in for approx. 20 mins total and viola the perfect color for me. The result was a very dark brown without going black- think chocolate brown with extremely slight redness to combat the harshness of a black hue.

I'm extremely happy with the results. Best of all, I got 2 boxes at Target for $4 with coupons!!! The dye barely smelled, the initial washing left almost no dye residue on a white towel AND the conditioner smelled awesome. I will never spend $100s of dollars at the salon again!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2013 11:47:00 PM More reviews by lapislazuli17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I really love Revlon's Colorsilk dyes, and have actually used the dark brown. I dye my hair every so often when I'm bored of the color (I'm back to my natural light brown), and when I was dyeing my hair dark brown I really liked this color. But, with any dark color, I noticed that after I thoroughly rinsed and shampooed my hair, the next wash showed that the color was bleeding and rinsing from my hair. This product does heavily saturate your hair, and the bleeding makes the color fade faster. But their lighter shades of brown don't bleed. So I really enjoy dark brown hair, but the dye bleeding even after a thorough rinse and shampooing was a bit disappointing. Otherwise, I love Revlon dyes because they have such cheap prices for fair quality.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 5:57:00 AM More reviews by kerrinastgermain

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've had hair color in salons, then Loreal for years. I've always been skeptical of Revlon...I have an autoimmune disease and had to avoid hair color altogether for years, but I found I felt worse! I tried to avoid ammonia, but Loreal changed their great ammonia-free product to a foam product. I loved that product, but only at first. The foam did not cover my roots, and it was a deposit color, so it was difficult to not over-color. I was afraid the same would be true with this one, but I am so surprised. It was gentle, with odor, yes, and a slight burning, but nothing like the Loreal products! The color went on, and felt somewhat like a deposited color, but a week later, my hair feels glossy after five or so shampoos, and the color is still wonderful. I am so impressed, I can't believe I didn't try it before. My immune system approves, too. I have long hair, four inches below my shoulders, and I bought two boxes, but only needed one. I loved the conditioner, but wish they include a tube. I am already thinking about what to do about the conditioner in the future. I am going to substitute with a good quality conditioner, but not sure which one. The box lies about the product within, it's a much better product than the packaging leads you to believe. So, the conditioner and package the only true weak spots for me. The rest is fabulous. Thanks!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by shinyjem

I was really worried that I would end up with black hair after reading all the reviews on this colour, but I decided to take the risk & do it anyway & I'm so glad I did. It turned out exactly the colour on the box :) I followed the instructions exactly, applying it to my roots first for 20 mins, then working it through the lengths and leaving that for 5 mins. My hair felt pretty dry when I was rinsing the colour out, but then I towel dried my hair, combed out the knots and applied the conditioner , leaving it about 10 minutes. It was really silky once I rinsed the conditioner out. The only thing I don't like about this colour is the amount of conditioner it comes with- only one application. My hair is just below shoulder length and I had just enough to coat it properly. If my hair was longer I wouldn't have had enough. Over all, this is an excellent colour that performs just as well as Loreal excellence creme, which I was using previously. It's way cheaper than loreal so I will be buying this from now on!