October 22, 2014 | 1740 users online

Sunscreen - Biore - UV Perfect Face Milk SPF 50+ PA+++ [REFORMULATED 2014]

See http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=174845/UV-Perfect-Face-Milk-SPF-50+-PA++++-%28New-2014%29/Biore/Sunscreen for the reformulated version of this product as of spring 2014

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2013 3:11:00 AM More reviews by Japanna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is not greasy at all, and dries to a nice matte finish. However, it has a strong alcohol scent when first applied, and ethanol is listed as the third ingredient. So might not be the best for very dry or sensitive skin. This is really my only gripe with this sunscreen - I don't like the idea of all the chemical ingredients going on my face, but I like the idea of UV damage less, so I'll stick with it until I find a more natural option that works as well.
    Also, I know that this is touted as a makeup primer, but I still use my usual primer on top of this.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2013 3:50:00 AM More reviews by Magapurna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a little gem that evens out the skin tone and keeps oiliness at bay for a good few hours. I apply it on bare skin and then use either EL DW Powder Makeup or MAC Blot Powder on top. Especially with MAC BP it keeps my skin matte for most of the day.

It's not available in Canada so I get it from Japan - it's very reasonably priced. I just wish it came in a bigger bottle and it would be nice if it came with a pump.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2013 1:33:00 AM More reviews by wagashi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Everyone who wants a sunscreen that doesn't feel like butter on your face, run to buy this product! I am a sunscreen junkie, and I'm pretty much sure that this is the best sunscreen ever developed. This is a silicone-based sunscreen that will dry absolutely clear and matte on your face. You will not know it's there at all. It makes a GREAT base for makeup after it, and doesn't pill like other sunscreens. It's amazing. One thing you'll notice with this sunscreen is that the reason it can be so matte and stand up under your makeup all day is because it has tons of alcohol in it. If you don't like alcohol, this unfortunately is not the sunscreen for you. I'm an oily person and very acne prone, so this is fine for me, and I've found that this sunscreen does not break me out at all, which is a miracle in itself. The only issues I've had with this product is that since I really try to use the recommended 1/4th tsp of SS a day (which really turns out to be a lot if you actually measure it), it takes quite a while to completely dry, and the matte effect is most effective when it is totally dry. This means that a lot of mornings when I'm trying to get out the door ASAP, I can't wait for it to dry, and my makeup doesn't apply as well as I would want, with it looking streaky where there are thicker lines where I applied it but didn't blot away the extra. But this is really more an issue of me not being able to wake up couple minutes earlier in the morning, and not with the product, hence no lippies off! One other thing -- I've recently started developing fine lines around my mouth (oh no D:) and when this is dry and I apply it under powder (I don't use liquid foundation unless I'm doing something special) it can make those more obvious, especially after talking and smiling all day. I don't think this would be as obvious under liquid or cream foundation, though. Because of this, I've recently moved on to the more expensive Kanebo Allie Perfect Alpha sunscreen, which isn't as matte and has higher protection, for my everyday SS. But either way, I think objectively this SS is absolutely amazing, and think everyone in the world should get a bottle. It is a tiny bottle, but it's only around $14 on some websites, which I think is worth it to protect my skin from photoaging. Much easier to deal with aging before it happens than after! Another thing -- there this product, "Biore Perfect Face Milk" (white bottle), and a "Biore Perfect Milk" (light blue bottle), which are two different products, but some pictures on websites are sort of ambiguous (there are even pictures of the perfect milk in this listing). If you want this product, with its strong mattifying effect, make sure you get the "face" milk. The blue one is not very matte, although it's lovely too if you want a more dewy look.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2013 12:27:00 PM More reviews by looneycat12

I bought this sunscreen because I wanted a sunscreen that dried fast, worked well under makeup, had little to no white cast, had adequate UVA protection, and didn't run into my eyes and sting. It worked for all of these criteria except for one- makeup agreement. Unfortunately, this ended up being a deal breaker for me.

As for my other criteria, it was pretty good. This sunscreen comes in a tiny, squeezable white bottle. You pour it out of a tiny spout, which works well if you use it with a measuring spoon like I do (have to make sure you get that 1/4 tsp!). It is a very runny, opaque white liquid that has probably the worst smell of any sunscreen I've ever used. I am not sensitive to smells (quite the contrary, I consider my sense of smell to be pretty weak actually), but this somehow made my eyes water every time, just from smelling it! If you have a sensitive nose, this is NOT the sunscreen I would recommend.

Previously to purchasing this sunscreen,I had been using the La Roche Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme (the European version) and occasionally Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Liquid SPF 70. Compared to these two, the Biore dried much faster, much more matte, and much drier. The Biore did leave a slight white cast, but it was very slight and to be expected from the zinc oxide content. It honestly wasn't much of a problem for me, but I am very pale so your results may vary (although that could be said for the entire review of course). Compared to the La Roche Posay, which leaves me basically white, the Biore's cast was very minimal. I felt that it had more of a softening effect than a whitening effect if that makes sense. I think it actually made me look a bit better!

Both the La Roche Posay and the Neutrogena caused my eyes to sting throughout the day as the sunscreen sweated into them. This sunscreen did not cause that effect. I think this might be because it does not contain avobenzone. According to Ratzillacosme.com, the filters in this sunscreen are zinc oxide, oxtinoxate, and titanium dioxide. This should provide pretty good protection, as there is about 12% of zinc oxide. Zinc oxide is a quite adequate filter of several types of UVA rays and UVB rays as well, although probably not as effective as a more advanced filter such as Tinosorb or Mexoryl. Still, you're getting a pretty acceptable level of coverage for every day.

This brings me to the fatal blow to my enjoyment of this sunscreen- its performance under makeup. You'll see that a lot of reviews for this product call it a great base for makeup and a great mattifier. A great mattifier it is, but a base for makeup? Unless people are using powder makeup, I don't see it. I found it absolutely impossible to use liquid or creme makeup on top of this. I tried applying various primers, foundations, bb creams, even concealer- everything refused to spread and looked like the cakiest mess ever. Now, I'm not exactly a wizard with makeup application, but I'm really not sure anyone could have gotten liquid makeup to work on me while I was wearing this. It was just so dry, the effect was like putting my liquid makeup on over powder!

I think this might be the most important factor of wearing this sunscreen- it is truly for the oiliest of skin. I consider my skin to be on the oilier side of combination, but even with Cerave cream underneath, the Biore milk just made me drier than the Sahara. My skin was fine when I took it off, but while wearing it? Awful. I miserably stuck it out for several weeks and made do with my limited supply of powder makeup only, and have since switched to using Biore's Aqua Rich BB Cream and trying to remember that I can wear concealer again. The bb cream is working fairly well and is something I'll review after I finish it.

So in conclusion, if you have extremely (EXTREMELY) oily skin or do not wear makeup and have no sensitivity to smells whatsoever, I think you'll probably like this sunscreen. It dries fast, contains oil, provides adequate protection, and leaves a minimal white cast. But if your skin is anything less than oily and you like your liquid makeup, I do not recommend this sunscreen.

8 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2013 6:07:00 AM More reviews by emysiu

Yes, this stuff is lovely for preventing shine! Better than anything I've found out there to date. However, it does leave a pretty obvious white cast on my semi tan face. The silicone in the sunscreen has also not done wonders for my face. I've broken out quite a bit within 1 week of using this. I'm saving this for special occasions because I think that this does terrific as a primer, but other than that, I won't be reaching for this on a regular basis.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2013 11:28:00 PM More reviews by skincarejunkie123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have a love hate relationship with the sunscreen.I'm tanned-skin so when I put this over my face&body .It leaves a white cast which I really hate .My friends will ask me if I'm using baby powder or sunscreen.Hence the 3 lippies :/ regretted buying it.Should have test it out.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 3:13:00 AM More reviews by Cerinah7

In the day I used biore UV perfect face milk spf 50 PA+++ but I felt that it tends to dry out my skin by mid-day. Biore UV helped to control oil for most people and feels really matte and blends into the skin superbly well but for my dry combi skin it was too drying by midday after being in an airconditioned room and my face started peeling. However ever since I started using physiogel cream in the day time too my skin stopped peeling. I managed to achieve the perfect combination of moisturised matte skin with no redness. Currently I am using Sofina perfect uv (bought it in Japan) and I find it less drying than biore. However it doesn't seem as waterproof so I alternate depending on the type of activity I do.

skin type: sensitive, acne prone, (used to be oily/combi but now dry due to acne medication)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2013 7:36:00 PM More reviews by Chloeclover

I bought the blue packaging version. This is a sunblock and contains titanium dioxide and zinc oxide which physically block UV rays unlike sunscreen which filters harmful UV rays. With that said, this sunblock is definitely better than US versions of sunblocks made for the face. This is really runny and thin and can be used under makeup. However, I feel like the blue version isn't great for oil control. It definitely makes my skin oily throughout the day. But it isn't oil on contact. It is pretty white and can spread evenly on the face. It dries to a matte finish. Not sure if I'd repurchase since there are so many SPFs on the market in Asia... Might try another brand.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by Sweettraumen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I love this sunscreen, it does keep the oilies away for a few hours but not a whole day. I use this as a primer under makeup. However if you have dry skin or are using products such as retin A that causes your skin to flake, this may not be suitable for you. I am on Retin A and occasionally it has caused my makeup to flake, so really moisturize well prior to applying this. This sunscreen is cheap and good and I've tried quite a number of sunscreens. They don't feel as light weight on the skin as this one does. (namely european sunscreens)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by Ashleythrashley

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I absolutely love this product!! I have tried everything for my oily skin and nothing has worked to control my oil like this product. I can wear my makeup all day long and there is no shine that comes through my foundation. Love it! I do have to order it off of amazon because I live in the US and it take about 3 weeks to get here but it's totally worth it!