April 20, 2014 | 1711 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Blending Sponge

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2012 10:51:00 AM More reviews by seven12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this sponge. I always wanted a Beauty Blender, but couldn't bring myself to pay so much for a sponge... Although they seem to have come down in price a bit lately. I want to say that Beauty Blenders used to retail for something crazy like $20 a piece when they came out?! Anyway, I got a set for around $10 with a pink Sonia Kashuk sponge and a bottle of spray cleaner. The cleanser is fabulous. It has a strong sort of disinfectant smell and I use it to clean this sponge and my Clarisonic brush heads.

The sponge is great. It is nothing like those little foam wedges or anything else I've tried. It's very heavy and dense. It absorbs some of the oil (or silicone?) from the foundation without just drinking the product up. It leaves my skin looking really smooth and well blended. I've started applying foundation with my hands and then using the "big end" of the sponge to blot everything out and blend it out. The pointy end is really great for blending around facial crevices like the eyes and nose. After I apply blush and everything on my cheeks, I go back over with the sides of the sponge to lightly blend all the edges out.

I've had the sponge for a year and have used/ washed it regularly. It is just now starting to look like it's deteriorating and needs to be replaced. At $10/ year, I think it's a worthwhile beauty expense. I will definitely repurchase. I guess my only complaint is that the sponge is SO dense, it's a bit difficult to clean and get all of the makeup out of it. Also, I feel like $10 is a fair price compared to a Beauty Blender and I love the product, but how much does it really cost to manufacture a sponge? Target could probably charge half as much and still make a huge profit.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2012 9:23:00 AM More reviews by Princessngirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this sponge. I actually bought two. What I don't love it how difficult it is to clean it. (and it does need to be cleaned frequently to keep it hygenic.) It takes a great deal of scrubbing to get it clean - not worth the time. And, no matter how damp the sponge is prior to using it, it sucks up a lot of product.

That said, if you can brave the washing demands and spare the extra product, this is the best sponge I can find. It gives a wonderful finish; I can't find a better finish than the one I get w this sponge.

It is shaped so that you can easily get to the crevices around your nose and chin. I love the point and use the top part to apply and press out my under eye concealer. The sponge is v soft and is a dream for evenly and carefully distributing product around the face

I am a huge Sonia Kashuk tools fan. This sponge is a great dupe for the beauty blender. I also own a beauty blender and much prefer this to thte BB. That said, I rarely bring it out. The cons (cleaning and absorption) outweigh its merits.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 7:34:00 AM More reviews by woahviviannn

Can't afford the beauty blender so I bought this bad boy at target instead. Like everyone else, I used it damped and apply my foundation with this. I love it! I love how nicely it goes on my face. I pat it on my face instead of buffing it in like a brush. It leaves a very nice finish on my skin. This totally blows my brushes away lol.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2012 3:12:00 AM More reviews by Mischka786

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent product for foundation application!

I have used brushes, sponges, etc.

This took a little while to master but its application is flawlessssss! My foundation applies faster, beautifully and its so so so easy.

You can use this for foundation, powder AND blush...you have to TRY it and teach yourself how to bounce and blend.

Cons: it stains easily

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2012 5:27:00 PM More reviews by Jessie93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this! After I apply my foundation with a brush I use this to blend it out and it makes my foundation look airbrushed and flawless! Definatley worth the $10!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by applecore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I recently switched from a cream foundation (studio tech), that I applied with the sponge that comes with it when I was in a hurry, to a liquid (MUFE HD) so I was looking for new sponge. Sephora doesn't have the beautyblender in stores so I thought this would be a good alternative and liked the ergonomic shape. I found the sponge to be way too hard and stiff and it made application very difficult. It felt like it was just bouncing off my face and not really setting the foundation into my skin. When I tried to blend with it it wiped off too much foundation. I don't like having to take the time to wet it before use since I already wash sponges before bed with my brushes. It also absorbed a lot of product, seemingly more than a flat sponge. There was smell to it but that's to be expected with any latex product (off gasing) and it isn't harmful. This sponge made me decide a foundation brush is the best way to go with a highly pigmented liquid because it makes application easier and doesn't waste product.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2012 12:17:00 PM More reviews by msog177

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wow, what a waste of $10. I own the (heaven-sent) Beautyblender but curiosity got the best of me when I was at Target so I decided I could drop $10 and try out the Sonia Kashuk blending sponge - big mistake. The color and the shape of the sponge are wonderful but that's where the compliments end. I tried it in the morning and it felt like I was applying my makeup with a brick. There was zero blending, the stippling was completely inefficient, I ended wasting a good amount of my expensive foundation with zero effect. I promptly set this tiny disappointment aside and picked up my trusted friend, the Beautyblender, which truly is the best thing I've ever gotten for my face. Please don't waste $10 on this deceivingly good-looking blending sponge. Just go on beauty.com and buy the 2-pack Beautyblender for $25 (no tax, no shipping) and allow your skin to glow.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2012 1:38:00 PM More reviews by earthymoon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I hated that I waited so long to try this. Even after seeing the rave reviews I was still skeptical. I finally broke down and bought the Sonia Kashuk sponge (couldn't justify the cost of the pink egg beauty blender). I have been very pleased.
The finish is beautiful. Several of my friends asked if I had bought an airbrush gun after I started using this. I get a nice even coverage and am able to build easily in the areas that I need it. With a brush and my fingers I usually ended up with a fuller coverage then I need just in an attempt to cover old acne scars and hyperpigmentation. The control with the sponge really allow me to apply more coverage in those areas only seamlessly.
I have very oily skin so I build a lot of mattifying products to increase makeup longevity. I usually apply a long lasting liquid foundation for oily skin, set with mineral foundation on my oily areas and then use a silicone finishing powder on my t-zone. I end up with a nice matte finish that starts to become satin as my oil pushes through during the day. My biggest battle with this layering is cakeyness. The sponge has completely eliminated this challenge for me.
During the day my makeup wears longer and better. I blot with with blotting papers and do not use additional silicone powder any more. I think that the sponge just allows products to meld better with my skin and in a thinner layer.
Just an amazing foundation/face tool. It shortens my application time because I use one tool and do not have to spend so much time blending lighter/heavier coverage areas..
I do not use "HG" very often. I love a lot of products and will repurchase them but this falls under the "HG, would never be without it" category for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2012 12:24:00 PM More reviews by thathoneydip

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this sponge. When i go out on the weekends and i want Flawless skin, i always use my cover fx cream foundation. It has a very thick consistency and i have yet to find a brush that will work well with it and believe me ive tried alot of brushes. So, instead i use this sponge. it works wonderfully. i dampen it first, make sure its only slightly dampened, then just dab it onto the foundation. it gets the right amount onto my face, not too much , not too little. and it blends it all nicely. Its a bit firmer then the Beauty Blender, but definitely more affordable. it tends to break apart after a while, so i have 2 more in stock.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2012 11:21:00 AM More reviews by silldr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm sorry I waited so long to try this! A lot of the YT gurus use brushes, so that's what I've been using but I much prefer this!!!

For foundation- I'm not as big of a fan of the revlon colorstay as a lot of people, but this sponge made it look pretty nice. another brand that i previously didn't like Cinema Secrets looks FANTASTIC with this sponge. Before it looked cakey and blotchy and just didn't blend well. Have to experiment more but with this sponge CS might be my HG.

For concealer- Blends concealer nicely, I prefer to apply the concealer with a brush then blend with the sponge b/c dipping the sponge directly it does soak up a little product. That's not as big of a deal with foundation, but on pricey concealer sold in small quantities, every bit counts! (at least to me)

For powder- Actually applies powder very nicely, which I find weird. I didn't like the ELF HD powder with a brush b/c it seems to leave a whitish cast but with the sponge maybe b/c it "pushes" it in to the skin more it looks really nice and smooth.

Cons: absorbs a little product (even wet) and does get stained even after washing

Pros: has reformed some products i previously didn't care for and really does a great job of blending

If you haven't tried a blending sponge before, you should!!!

UPDATE: Finally tried the Beauty Blender, and it is a little nicer, but this is still a good sponge if you're on a budget!