October 25, 2014 | 1814 users online

Liquid - Alexandra deMarkoff - Countess Isserlyn Liquid Makeup

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2006 5:22:00 PM More reviews by 8ball

At one time I heard this was the most expensive cosmetic in the world. can't say that's so now, but it's still up there - $52.50 for a bottle of fndn in 2006. I thought I remember testing it at one time and it left my skin with a silky texture like nobody's business. So I set about to get some more, only now I'm considerably older. Well, I don't like it. It has VERY heavy pigments that settle to the bottom, so your bottle looks like there is oil floating on top of fndn. You have to knock the pigments loose and stir it with a stick. You use what is on the stick when you pull it out. One drop is enough coverage for an average face, but it doesn't spread easily. I never saw anything like it! I tried my fingers, wedges, and now finally a brush to get it to look anywhere near human. I bought 3 bottles b/c it's hard to find, color 90 1/2, which is the lightest of their warm toned colors. It looked flawless in the store, but in life it's way too light (I can't return them for various reasons). So I look like a chalky ghost. It also augments every crease and dry spot on your skin. You have to put moisturizer/oil/primer or something on those spots or f'getit. One good thing: you won't need concealer anymore!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2006 4:44:00 PM More reviews by ora613

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'd yearned for this for years, but couldn't afford it. Then I got two bottles for a song on eBay. It's worth the full price! Does it look natural? Well if you think it is natural for a woman in her fifties with acne scars and wrinkles to have a flawless, luminous complexion, hell, yes!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2005 5:04:00 PM More reviews by aurora2615

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

PROS: Covers literally EVERYTHING like magic!
Thin, very buildable consistency,
nice wide shade range based on warm, cool, or neutral coloring,
feels very moisturizing,
lasts allllll day long, and
just a little goes a very long way

CONS: If you have any dry patches, this stuff makes them show up like none other, so just be sure to exfoliate well.
Really expensive at a little over 50 USD and
impossible to find unless you order online.
The amount you get is rather small for what you pay, and
you need to shake/stir this foundation before every use.
If you apply multiple layers, it can start to look a tad chalky, but this stuff covers so well that I rarely apply more than one layer

Overall, this is hands down the best foundation I've ever used. I'm an FFF and my shade is Golden 90 1/2, a nice pale yellow-based shade. I have never seen coverage like this from a liquid foundation, and I've tried dozens of supposedly "full coverage" foundations. This stuff even covers better than Cinema Secrets or RCMA, IMO, and lasts way longer. Big rave.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2005 9:22:00 AM More reviews by julieolivia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am approaching forty, starting to get some crows feet to go with marionette lines, and of course still break out if I use the wrong products (i.e anything silicone especially cyclomethicone!instant cysts!) so finding a product that is silicone free yet moisturizing has become very challenging. This foundation is a dream. Given that it has a procedure for proper use, it is not quite as simple as just slapping it on, it is a little work intensive but more than worth it. You get a very smooth, luminous (NOT shiny) glow and nearly complete coverage that comes from opaque pigment, so it does look like skin and the finish lasts. The finish is beautiful - if you have an event coming up, this is the foundation you want to wear. It is just as good for everyday wear, in my opinion but is a must for dress up. The moisture in it keeps my skin soft even in upstate NY winter, but is not at all greasy or slick. I bought mine on ebay, I have 91 and a half, which is a "golden" color - it matches my light olive (green/pink) skintone perfectly in spite of my not having any gold in my skin - I would compare it to Neutrogena Light Gold - maybe a little more neutral. The cap does leak a bit so it is a pain, but other than that, this foundation has no peer in its category.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2005 11:59:00 AM More reviews by filmart

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I used this foundation on and off for probably a year, and while it has many good points, it unfortunately showed up all of my dry patches (and my skin is too sensitive for me to exfoliate frequently). This problem is hard to comprehend, considering the amount of oils in this foundation, but I notice I'm not the only one here who's experienced this. Overall, the Liquid Makeup does leave a flattering, radiant finish. Plus, you only have to use the small amount of it left on the stirring stick for a single application, so you end up getting a lot of product for the high price. I don't know whether or not my bottle was defective, but I couldn't leave it lying on its side, as oil would leak out from under the tightened cap. I so wanted this foundation to work, as there are so few makeup products out there for dry skin these days, but sadly the bad outweighed the good.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2005 8:48:00 AM More reviews by iammew

I'm really loving this foundation and it's received such good ratings, I couldn't believe I'd never heard of it. I can't find it in any stores and would love to try more colors, so if anyone knows where to buy it 'in person' please send me a note! On to my review, this foundation is wild!!! The coverage is so intense. The texture is wonderful and it doesn't make my face feel greasy, even with it being oil-based. This product has to be shaken well before each use and after shaking when you take off the lid, there is enough product on the top of the bottle's neck for your entire face. I haven't tried it using my fingers - I use a damp foundation brush which helps it spread easily and go on sheer. I am somewhere around a MAC NW25 (blonde, blue, fair with a little ruddiness) and right now I have 80 1/2, which is too light. It makes me pale, but it actually brightens up my face in a way that looks nice with a little bronzer dusted on the top so I don't look like a ghost. I'm waiting for some samples to come in the mail from a store I contacted online - very nice woman named susan (www.canyoncosmetics.com) and hopefully will find a more exact match. I bought the original bottle on ebay for about $25, but online it sells for about $52. (on ebay search for 'de markoff' AND 'demarkoff') If you know what would be a good color match for me also, please let me know. I think this is going to be my HG. I had been using Jane Iredale and it's great, but I think this foundation gives you less emphasis on the fine lines, large pores, etc. Makes a good concealer too. Love!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2005 10:06:00 PM More reviews by BeneBaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am a hopeless romantic. If this foundation was good enough for Scarlette O'Hara, well it's perfect for me! I am always on the look-out for a new, fabulous foundation. I have dry, acne prone skin...I know a weird combination??? Try finding skincare for that skin type! A coworker suggested I try Alexandra DeMarkoff Countess Isserlyn Liquid Foundation. Her mother was a makeup artist for Miss America and said this was the best foundation....ever made. I did some research and I was intrigued. The formula was originally created for 20's screenstars to give a radiant, flawless finish on the movie screen. The formula has remained the same ever since. Yikes! a mineral oil foundation???? I was scared but decided to try it. Finding it and matching my shade was a whole other story. All of those fractions and numbers confused me. I found the foundation on E-Bay for $25 and guessed on the shade 70 1/2. When I recieved it, it sat in my cabinet for two weeks. The oil sitting on top scared the bejeezes out of me!! My friends mom finally told me to stir it up and try it out. So glad I did!!!!! I really love the coverage and finish. A little goes a long way too. The only complaint I have is it smells perfumey. Other than that I really love it! Besides, it landed Scarlett a handsome Rhett right????

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2005 2:53:00 AM More reviews by Merra

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

As others have stated, this product needs to be shaken, stirred, and what have you in order for it to work properly. Once mixed, I keep mine in the refrigerator and it doesn't separate into oil/pigment as easily. The coverage is fantastic. I have a lot of red in my skin, yet do not have to use a concealer when I use this foundation. It really does cover everything! I'm in my 40s and haven't yet experienced problems with this foundation settling into wrinkles and lines, etc. It can be shiny after application, and a light translucent powder helps set it and make it perfect.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/13/2005 3:25:00 PM More reviews by ellaboo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My Profile: Mid 40's, dry skin, small pores, fine lines & fair complexion.

I have used this oil foundation on & off for many years. It was great & my HG foundation until I turned 40. Now it looks a bit chalky & mask like on my more mature skin. Shows up your dry flakey patches and fine lines. It gives great coverage and a nice semi-dewy finish. The color selection for this product it very outdated and un-natural. They should update with pale yellow based colors. Instead much of their selection has either pink or ashy undertones. As I get older what was once my HG at one time has now turned into my foe. So long, Alexandra DeMarkoff. It was great while it lasted.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2005 11:17:00 AM More reviews by yiya

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I keep coming back to this product for over 30 years. Nothing else compares to its high quality which is certainly worth the cost. Just take the time to mix well and use a makeup sponge to blend in. The result will render outstanding flawless coverage only achieved by makeup artists.