Ecotools Powder Brush

4.5

Brushhhhh :]

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

DISCLAIMER: This review is for the original brush design: the one with the thicker handle and silver aluminum ferrule. I don't have any experience with the updated design (thinner handle, bronze ferrule) and am not sure how it compares.

I love this brush so much that I bought two for me and one for both my mom and sister! It's so, so silky soft and fluffy, it almost feels luxurious on the face! The Powder Brush also lives up very well to it's name; powder goes on very evenly and easily. I use this every day and have only had great experiences.

Pros:
* perfect size for powder application (loose and pressed)
* easy to use
* good feel in the hand
* so, so very soft
* long-lasting (through many washes and daily spot cleaning)
* price is great!

Cons:
* original design might not be available anymore
* needs to be cleaned regularly to avoid powder build-up

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is easily the best widely available budget brush. It's fluffy yet full and even though the hairs are synthetic, they have good cling. I see no reason to spend upwards of $30 on a powder brush unless you're a professional makeup artist. This is well made enough that it will easily last years.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This brush is perfect for both loose powders and powder compacts. It has very soft bristles and leaves a very natural finish - you never look over powdered unless you use too much. It's also good for sweeping away excess powder on your face. It's not the cheapest drugstore brush ( I think it's around $12 CDN), but it's definitely worth waiting for it to go on sale!

Fantastic brush! It's super soft, affordable, and doesn't shed! This brush is definitely my favourite powder brush right now.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Soft, cheap and it does a good job. I've been using the same one for about 3 years and it's still in great condition. Would repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This brush is great! I've had it for about 2 years now and still works like the first time I used it. The brush is super soft and I love that it is eco friendly. I have this brush, the flat foundation brush and the blush one and Iove them all. They are just a bit pricey, but well worth the money.

I usually swear by Ecotools brushes and they are the majority in my daily makeup routine, but this was a big flop. When I pulled it out of the package, I was dismayed to find that it is tapered and flattened. For a "big fluffy powder brush" I was expecting it to be full with a rounded ferrule to "fan out" the bristles. Instead the ferrule is quite flat so the bristles are flat. Though the bristles are soft, I was disappointed with the powder application. It didn't pick up enough product and distribute it evenly. Ultimately I ended up returning it.

This is better than Clinique. On some brushes, you can feel how synthetic the bristles are but this brush the end of the hairs are soft. I use this with the ELF HD Powder (loose) and it blends perfectly. It feels so soft on your skin! The only downside is that its so big it takes longer for it to dry after you wash it.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This brush is worth about what it cost (very little) The real techniques brushes are a better option at this price range. I know a lot of people like it for applying blush, but it is way to big for that for me. It eats product like crazy and does not apply evenly. The only use I found if for it was buffing out blush.
Once you wash this brush it is pretty much garbage. (I spot clean with MAC makeup brush cleaner) An actual clean with baby shampoo ruined this brush.

What I wish I had known prior to purchase:
What really irritates me is the Eco-friendly claims. First off, that giant plastic package they come in, really? Bamboo is not a green material. Here's a quick over view of why:

Bamboo is only renewable if it's properly maintained, and the fertilizers, pesticides and clear-cutting that has become more common to keep up with the demand for bamboo has made it less than an eco champion. There's also the cost of transportation, as well as the cheaper bamboo that has popped up on the market, which is not only less durable but also use formaldehyde emitting finishes.

The manufacturer claims it is green because it grows so quickly compared to wood. Most bamboo is manufactured in some of the worlds most pollution filled countries, with minimal laws on the chemicals that can be used and dumped. Properly maintained and harvested forests are much better for the environment.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I love this brush! Its soft and fluffy. I've washed and spot cleaned it numerous times and no hairs have fallen out. I reshape it with a brush guard when washed. No chemical smell or dye like how elf brushes sometimes have. It picks up powder product really well. Its affordable especially when you shop around (amazon!). It feels nice on my face not scratchy or prickly. I would purchase another if I ever lost it and would recommend to others.

Popular Makeup Brushes