July 29, 2014 | 1971 users online

Powder - Silk Naturals - Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by jtenopir88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I use this foundation when my other go-tos are all gone. I really do like this foundation and I love that you can custom mix your color, no other foundation companies offer that. The only problem I have with this stuff is that it slides off my face, which is very oily. If I fixed it every 2 hrs or so, it would probably work better, but that is so inconvenient for me and most women I know! If you have slightly oily or normal to dry, this would be best for you. Even with the full coverage formula, I would say it's more medium buildable. It looks really nice on the skin, and I also love that this company offers a wide variety of coverage formulas as well as primers and finishing powders. I do still use this all the time, and maybe if I find a good product that will keep my oil at bay, I would name this as my HG foundation, but until then, I'll just use it when I have to :(

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2011 6:11:00 AM More reviews by reettaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the best mineral foundation ive tried so far, i like the natural finish and the fact that you can mix your own shade. With other mineral foundations i noticed that the shade might change during the day, they didn't look good in certain lights and the most annoyig thing, they didn't stay on my face AT ALL. (Everyday Minerals and The Body Shop were the worst) Youngblood also left a weird shiny, almost metallic, finish and made my pores look huge.

SN foundation could have a better coverage, but that really isn't a big deal as you can build up the coverage. It lasts quite well and doesn't slide off your face after few hours like some mineral foundations. I think this is a great product :) Will buy again

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2011 10:55:00 PM More reviews by piecesofpurple

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm reviewing the "full coverage" foundation. The whole blending thing initially turned me off because when I first tried the product, since I don't have an actual blending machine designed for minerals, me using my arm to shake the product isn't as effective, so I would get streaks of dark color interspersed through out when I applied it. Plus, finding your right shade is difficult because slightly too much or too little of the dark shade can completely transform the color and whether or not it appears "ashy". I'm super pale with warm undertones (MC 15) and I use about 12 scoops white to 1 scoop butter gold.

I'm giving this product an overall 4 stars, simply because it covers so well. I've read countless reviews for products where people claim it covers well, but when I use it, I beg to differ (and I've used flocked sponges, the wet application method, layered it on, used different brushes, etc). But, this stuff covers exceptionally well and doesn't look mask-like. The key is using a natural, organic cream based concealer before applying the mineral makeup to areas that need the extra coverage (pimples, scarring, under eyes) so that when you apply the minerals, it binds to the cream and provides maximum, opaque coverage. I tried using this foundation without the cream concealer and it applies like a medium coverage foundation would, so I was initially disappointed. But, make sure whatever concealer you're using doesn't break you out! I use SobeBotanicals acne cream concealer with organic oils, green tea, and acne fighting essential oils. At first, I didn't like the cream concealer because I thought it didn't cover enough (and it doesn't, but when used under mineral makeup, the blend is perfect).

However, I feel that this makeup is best suited for combination, dry, and normal skin types. I have oily skin and this stuff has ZERO oil absorbing properties! And that's after I use my primer, oil absorbing powder under and over the foundation. It also has a semi-matte finish to begin with and I prefer matte finishes. I also think that because it doesn't control oil and actually seems to make me more oily, it contributes to cystic acne and acne, in general due to clogged pores. It definitely doesn't help acne. Also, due to the oiliness, it transfers very easily, which is embarrassing when someone kisses you on the cheek and your makeup is on their mouth! Or, when your b/f kisses you and you see your makeup residue on his nose, etc. Sooo.... Overall, great coverage, but I need something that controls oil better. And, I found that product from another reviewer here. Lucy Minerals is the best mineral makeup I've found to control oil. She has two oil control formulas and finishing powders and the coverage is excellent, as well. But, her shades for pale, pale skinned people are limited at best. I use 3/4 Cream and 1/4 Snow White to get the right shade for my skin. And, it holds up really well! Even in humidity. I would suggest maybe using the Silk Naturals foundation as a concealer, rather than all over foundation if you have oily skin.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2011 5:56:00 PM More reviews by duploid

Silk naturals has come up with what sounds like a great concept to be able to custom blend your own foundation....But then it gets annoying and too messy after awhile because I think I've found the right ratio, but minutes later in outdoor light, my face looks too pale or too dark or too ashy. I try again..shake the mixture for 2-5 minutes, and end up with unsatisfactory shade once more. I think it's been just over 2 years, and I still haven't found the right ratio. **Actually just yesterday, I had help from someone who provided a recipe that could work for me.**
I can't say whether the medium coverage foundation formula is doing any harm or good to my skin since I generally have bad skin that will never change until I actually see a dermatologist. But I can say that I don't get any obvious itching or allergic reactions as I did with BE or LA Minerals. I only stayed with Silk Naturals because of the cost...but I'm starting to feel as though I might be spending too much since I have to buff on a lot more layers for the coverage I need...whereas I didn't waste so much when I was using BE or Everyday Minerals. I've tried the Heavy coverage formula, but it's too drying and looks very cakey and shows off my huge pores. I like the smooth and light feel of the Vegan and All-Purpose formula better since I think silk may be a bit drying on my skin, but then I don't get the heavier coverage I need. I'm not too concern with staying powder because I know mineral foundations aren't meant to have the strong stay-on power like drugstore or department store foundation. As for taming oily skin on hot days, it does a so-so job, but that's not really a concern also since I don't mind blotting.
The foundation alone isn't very impressive on the face even with the addition of glow powder (trying to get a less cakey, less dull and more dewy complexion). But my face doesn't feel as though it's suffocating, it does have ingredients I trust, it does have better than average staying power (for a mineral foundation), and I do like the price because I'm super cheap, the customer service is polite, and the SN community forum is very helpful. I'm settling for now until I try another low cost mineral brand.

Edit: I think I was writing the review while I was frustrated. After sampling another brand's mineral foundation, I now have a better appreciation for Silk Naturals and will go back to using it. In the end, I just needed mega moisturizing for my dehydrated skin (like mango butter or straight up virgin coconut oil) and that allowed me to not use so much foundation and gave me a less cakey look. So I've increased the rating.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by yankeesweetie35

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE SN! I use the all purpose version for my oily but sensitive skin.

PROS:
1) safer ingredients than most mineral products
2) VERY affordable!
3) very customizable (color and coverage wise)
4) decent coverage

CONS:
1) Great for light to moderate coverage, but might not be enough for intense covering (SN does offer heavy coverage options though, which I haven't tried)
2) Can be frustrating trying to mix your perfect match but the SN forums are extremely helpful, and in the end its totally worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2011 10:43:00 PM More reviews by kngfrank

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the best foundation I've tried so far.

I have a hard time finding foundations that match my very pale neural-olive coloring. Even though it took me forever to mix the right color, it was worth it. I love that I can adjust it depending on how much of a tan I have.

I keep putting this one away and trying other foundations but I always come back to this one. I've tried two other mineral foundations and this one is so fine that I can build of the coverage depending on what's going on with my skin. It doesn't settle into my fine lines or look chalky or cakey. Amazing stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 10:24:00 AM More reviews by integritybites

I've been using SN foundation for 2+ years? Medium + Original Ivory coverage works well for me. The yellow booster added to Buttery Gold as well as a bit of Glow to remove the dead matte flat look is a PERFECT mix on my face. When applied dry, this lasts me the entire day and into evening with minimal touch ups. Controls oil pretty well and I don't really need concealer too.

If you do the damp application, note that you'll need to mix up a lighter batch as the foundation will go on darker.

If you're testing out shades, SN does oxidise about a shade or so on me (oily-normal combination). So factor that in and do allow enough time to gauge.

This is also a $ saving foundation as everyone's face changes shades. I love tweaking it to suit my tanned or my normal everyday shade. A bit of "peach" thrown into the mix solves the tanned and slightly sunburnt look too. Very versatile foundation. My HG? Probably :) except I'm too fickle to just stick to 1 foundation/brand.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2011 4:44:00 PM More reviews by Tamira

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Black

While I love their skin care products, their foundation mixes did not work for me at ALL. They don't have rich enough colors to mix into the ivory foundations to get a hue that is good for ethnic skin without looking ashy or weird unless it is very pale (and I am a medium tan black/multi-racial golden girl that definitely falls into the lighter family for ethnic skin).

That said, I loved the texture of their medium, heavy and glow foundations bases (I actually mixed them together in various ratios and all worked for me).

So, I decided to try mixing my own pure iron oxides (orange, yellow, brown, red, etc.) into the mix to redeem it and voila - a workable color with a lovely texture and coverage and a beautiful natural glow - not sparkles - just glow.

So, I will continue to buy the base (while I work on making my own mineral foundation - perfect shade and formula for personal use). I would have given it 5 lippies, but since I can't actually use their colors, only their base, and must buy my own oxides (which they should consider carrying to broaden their color range), I took off one lippie! REALLY like this foundation now that I have created my own good match...;)

PS: A Magic Bullet mixes mineral foundation and oxides or any other colourant like a DREAM! Cheap and worthy investment since you can designate a specific cup and blade for just your makeup and use it in the kitchen and for other projects and everything else.

***UPDATE***
And, I'm increasing my rating to 5 because in spite of the fact that I must blend in my own iron oxide pigments, my skin loves this stuff and no other mineral foundation looks better on!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2011 7:58:00 PM More reviews by pasdebouree

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like Silk Naturals. The foundation is easy to mix. Color samples are provided individually at minimal cost, enabling one to experiment in order to find the closest match. The powder minerals are ultra refined, silky, and apply easily. Coverage is satisfactory - I chose the medium formulation to cover pores and sun damage. I mix the Ivory base powder and Olive to create a shade that covers redness. I also got "Blur" finishing powder which, astonishingly, actually makes quite a difference! SN customer service is good - my order shipped quickly, questions were answered promptly and courteously on their interactive blog. Very nice company that offers a multitude of choices for those of us who never tire of striving for improvement when it comes to looking better. I must say I was motivated to try SN because I became disappointed with Everyday Minerals' sudden price hikes and shrunken selection of blush colors, in addition to their increasingly pre-adolescent site design (exactly what market segment are they targeting with bunnies, dancing flowers and the rest of those graphics??"). All in all, I'm glad to have tried SN; I plan to continue using their products and recommend them as a source for well thought out, reasonably priced mineral makeup solutions.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2011 8:43:00 PM More reviews by trharvey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Several months ago I read many positive reviews on this and thought I would give it a chance. I LOVED the color match, the best I've ever had. Just sent a pic and they sent me my mixture ratios, but unfortunately after 2 hours it was gone and there was the shine I have been trying to avoid for so long. Then I ordered Mattify! Ultra and I loved how I looked after applying L'Oreal Infallible. So I thought, why not give the SN another try, afterall, I LOVED the color and the coverage...but still after 2 hours it was gone. For now, I'm back to Infallible...but still looking for my HG MMU...