October 24, 2014 | 1715 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Bristle Hair Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2011 4:31:00 PM More reviews by misanders

Have two young daughters that use this brush. They love it! We lost it once and they begged me to buy this one again. It is just easier on their tangles than any other brush we've tried.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2011 4:24:00 PM More reviews by snake_hips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Holy HONK. This brush is incredible! I am growing my hair long and I like to distribute my natural oils through my hair with a boar bristle brush, but it's a huge pain because with a regular one I have to section my hair because it's so thick the brush can't get through. With this one, it penetrates all the hair so the boar bristles can polish all the hair equally. It also does not create static and the nylon pins give such a stimulating scalp massage without being painful. The handle is a lovely glittery charcoal and a good shape to grip. Great brush! Eventually, I may get a Mason Pearson, but this is what's in my budget at the moment so I am so glad I found the youtube reviews on this.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/10/2011 4:10:00 PM More reviews by blooicee

I really wanted to like this brush. When I first purchased it, I realized it would take some work to comb through my long, thick hair. Because the synthetic(?) boar bristles are short, I would have to use force and push the brush through my hair to detangle most of my thick hair. That, and I would have to brush through my hair many times because it would only brush through a little of my hair at a time. But because the results were nice, I kept on using the brush. 3-4 weeks later, the bristles started being bent, and there was a lot of build up in the brush. Deciding to give the brush a second chance, I re-purchased the brush, making sure I would clean up the build up every time after I used it. But 2 weeks later, the red part started crumbling off and falling apart, and the bristles started being bent. I'm sure this brush works for someone with fine hair, but sadly, it didn't work for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2011 11:24:00 PM More reviews by kitten14

I bought this a few years ago and have since bought a Mason Pearson brush, which this is supposed to be a dupe for. I really love my Mason Pearson, but I don't think this brush is too far behind in terms of quality and the affect it had on your hair. When I was considering purchasing my Mason Pearson, I tried to do a lot of research on the difference between these two brushes because I didn't want to spend so much money to end up with something I already had and spent a lot less on. I think that the Mason Pearson brush was worth my money because I will use it forever and it really stimulates my scalp, which is what I was looking for, but really the SK brush is probably just as good if you are just looking for a good quality hair brush to have for awhile. The major difference is that the bristles on the MP are longer and there is more on the brush head, so it's like getting a scalp massage for my thick hair. If you part your hair and really work through it, the SK brush does a pretty good job or getting into your scalp as well. Overall, it is hard to say whether the MP brush is worth the additional $130 from the SK, I guess it depends on what you are expecting from a hair brush. I would definitely recommend this one especially to have as a backup to the MP when traveling.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2010 12:23:00 AM More reviews by GreyWarden

I was unsure about buying this brush because of the price. I had never used a bristle brush before so I wasn't even sure I would like it. Recently I have been having some problems with breakage so I was looking for simple things to help prevent it and I read that the bristle brushes were alot better for your hair, and then my old brush broke so I caved and bought this.

As background, I have very long very thick hair, but the individual strands are very fine. I was initially worried that using this brush would be hard or painful, but it wasn't. I love this brush. It is wonderful. My hair is softer, shinier, smoother. It doesn't tangle hardly at all. This brush was a worth while investment that I do not regret. I would definitely purchase this again to have one for travel as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2010 3:46:00 AM More reviews by xcaramelissa

I have the "special" gold edition of this boar bristle brush that I got from Target (nothing special, handle just painted gold color). I've had this brush for a year now, since I bought it around Christmas. So I've never had a MP brush, but decided to test out boar bristle brushes with something cheaper before shelling out more money for the real deal. Compared to my cheap plastic ConAir brushes that I had before, this is nicer in that it feels better on my scalp when I brush. Cons: earlier in the year when I had almost-waist-length hair, the brush would not brush through the layers of my thick hair closer to the scalp. I'd have to brush through the top and underneath separately. But after I cut my hair to shoulder-length, the brush worked fine. Another con is the static it creates, as mentioned by other users. But it's never to the point where I won't use it again. It's a very MILD annoyance. I don't see a difference after brushing, but maybe cause I have naturally smooth and straight hair. As for keeping tangles out: if you're in mild or high winds outside, there's bound to be some tangles, boar bristles or not. Maintenance: I don't do any on it. It does look a little grungy from stray hairs and lint, but it isn't so bad to the point I have to throw it away. I use this maybe every other day to every 3 days. Will probably buy this again and not the MP brush, because with the $100+ MP brush, I don't have time to wash and dry it and take time to maintain it.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/9/2010 2:31:00 PM More reviews by Silrayan

Like many people here, I considered the MP brush but wanted to start with the SK since since I read so many glowing reviews. It is for sure one of the better brushes I've used, but I just didn't think it was THAT GREAT. My hair does feel really smooth for an hour after using it, but it doesn't stay brushed for long (a few people raved that their hair stayed tangle free all day--could just be my hair though). It feels great on my scalp though, that's the best part! It seems kind of flimsy, I'll probably spring for the MP once this inevitably falls apart.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2010 6:38:00 PM More reviews by jmh1wdh2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Since I already own a Mason Pearson pocket boar/nylon mix brush it is hard not to compare it to the Sonya Kashuk version. I looked into the SK brush because I wanted the bigger B3 Mason Pearson brush. I read all of the rave reviews here and thought why not save a few bucks. So off to Target only to find that she doesn't even have a dupe of what I wanted which was an all boar bristle brush. She has a larger version of the pocket boar/nylon brush and am sorry to say that there is no comparison. First of all, the Mason Pearson brush has a lot more boar bristles in it and secondly the boar bristles are a lot longer. So, I think it is safe to say that you get what you pay for from Mason Pearson. If some one has never owned a MP brush then the Sonya Kashuk brush might seem adequate however, if you can afford Mason Pearson it will be well worth the investment.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2010 9:58:00 PM More reviews by tigerlily1787

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't have much to say about this, other than that it is the most amazing brush I've ever tried. I bought the gold limited edition one a year or two back on sale for $8. The good part about my gold brush is that I never lose it in my massive purse or in my messy room (but if I lose it, I'll buy another). BUY THIS BRUSH! You definitely won't regret it once you use it and can admire your shiny, smooth hair. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2010 7:46:00 PM More reviews by atbmeg

This brush feels really good on my scalp. I love it and will definitively replace if lost, though I am not one to lose hair tools to often. I cannot compare it to the Mason Pearson, but why would I spend over 100 dollars on a hair brush when I can spend a lot less and get the same or nearly the results.