December 20, 2014 | 865 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Alba Botanica - Un-petroleum Multi-Purpose Jelly

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 10:18:00 PM More reviews by chanap

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Got to give this a 5 -- so much like petroleum jelly in consistency yet it's not a petroleum bi-product -- instead it has healthy ingredients!

Good to know about this, especially if you use anything in sensitive areas. Ever look at the ingredients in KY jelly, for instance?

Edited (on seeing my review rated as 9/13 helpful): All righty then:/ Apparently the above is considered controversial. Why? Because I'm comparing it to KY?

KY Jelly ingredients: Aqua, glycerine, hydroxyethylcellulose, gloconolactone, chlorhexidine digluconate, methylparaben, sodium hydroxide.

Most of those are fine. However,....

Methylparaben: "Parabens are known to be oestrogenic and exposure has been associated with the proliferation of breast cancer cells in the lab."

Chlorhexidine digluconate: Useful disinfectant. But does it belong in your vulva for casual use? Considerable research is available on the casual use of antibiotics and bacteriacides, such as Triclosan, and their role in producing resistant bacteria.

Glycerine: Hyperosmolar and can damage the vaginal lining, increasing the risk of infection and viral transmission. Can also increase the risk of yeast infection as it breaks down into sugars. Glycerine is ok for other parts of your body but our mucous membrances, such as vaginal tissue, are sensitive and absorb ingredients easily.

I don't mean to pick on KY -- a similar list of ingredients that aren't friendly to lady parts can be found in most any mainstream, commercial personal lube. I also don't mean to imply that so-called natural is always necessarily better, nor safer, in general. For instance, one can be allergic or sensitive to lots of things, including foods -- so, certainly, if you are sensitive to coconut, castor oil, beeswax, etc, you should avoid it:)

To the defenders of chemicals in cosmetics in general: Europe has banned 1,328 chemicals from cosmetics; the U.S. FDA has banned or restricted only 11.

In Europe, companies are no longer allowed to sell personal care products that are made with chemicals that are known or suspected to cause cancer, genetic mutation, reproductive harm or birth defects. The European Union requires chemical companies to prove they are safe before they are put on the market. In this country, we have to prove they are Unsafe after they are already on the market.

If you are going to use "non-naturals," you would be well-advised to only buy European.

10 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2013 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Jhulagurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Awesome product! I switched to his after I became allergic to aquaphor. This is so much better than aquaphor since it does not contain petroleum. I put this under my eyes every night and on areas where there are fine lines as well as healing acne spots. Very healing and gentle on the skin : )

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by pawnshop_rose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wonderful multi-use ointment. I use it on my hands, dry patches of skin on my body, my lips and sometimes on my eyelashes. I also use this on my face when it gets very dry and sensititve. I use it sparingly on a damp face and pat it in. I don't use it on any active pimples. I find it does a good job of protecting and moisturizing my skin. It does have a slight castor oil smell to it but it's not bothersome enough for me to stop using it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by armaclin041584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I grew up loving Vaseline but due to what it is made with (petroleum), I will no longer purchase it.

Alba Un-petroleum Multi-Purpose Jelly is a great alternative since it soothes, moisturizes and softens. It's made with beeswax, castor oil, coconut oil, and vitamin-e...it's amazing.

It does cost more (when compared to Vaseline) but so worth it...and if you are a DIY-er it's really easy to mix up your own batch of it, which makes it even more cost-efficient.

I also really appreciate how this product comes in a tube, so that it is never contaminated.

I use this on my face as a deep moisture mask for nighttime, for moisturizing my sons eczema prone skin and any other reasons I can think of, I love this product!!

I just wish they would make it available in a larger size vs the 3.5 oz.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2012 12:25:00 AM More reviews by bbarry75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

love
-I put this on my eyelashes every night
-it has cocunut oil and castor oil, both keep hair healthy
-I use it after a peel instead of petroleum jelly it works better
-tast bad but makes lips soft

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2012 12:04:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

Great, inexpensive multipurpose ointment I use daily on my hands and lips and on my combination-dry face as a night time moisture boost in the winter. Slightly greasier and does not absorb as quickly as Aquaphor but the moisturizing quality is just as effective. At night I use a dime size blob for my hands before bed and pat whatever is left on my face, on top of my nighttime moisturizers (Renova and Shiseido night cream) in the winter. It really seals in the other products and I awake with soft hydrated skin. Very satisfied with this $6 product!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2012 10:55:00 AM More reviews by skylark

Love this stuff! I'm a fan of the organics when it comes to facial products and this stuff is great. It's really thick and I love putting it on my lips at night and around my eye area - I wake up with hydrated lips and eyes! Vaseline probably does the same thing but I just don't like the idea of putting petroleum jelly on my face even though my pharmacist friends claim there's no difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2012 5:03:00 PM More reviews by SammyXO

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My skin really likes castor and coconut oils, so for me this is perfect. Even though it's more expensive, I prefer this to Vaseline for several reasons. I prefer the texture, it's less sticky and it softens my skin, whereas Vaseline seems to just sit on my skin. I also like that it's slightly less thick than petroleum jelly, and easier to spread.

I use this primarily to remove my mascara and to condition my lashes and brows. It's also great on dry and chapped skin (lips, elbows, knees, ankles, eye area). Great multipurpose product for those who don't like petrolatum.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2012 4:28:00 PM More reviews by bronze_chiqz

Well, i prefer old Vaseline over this.I bought this after seeing being hyped by youtube guru KandeeJohnson. It just kinda 'sit' on my skin, and the next morning my skin did feel soft, but then I got the similar result with vaseline and i guess vaseline is much easier to spread.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2012 5:46:00 AM More reviews by sgilber

This is a wonderful natural product that can be used in such a variety of ways! I used to be a die hard fan of Aquaphor until I tried this natural alternative that actually benefits AND protects the skin. First if I had children I would definately use this prduct instead of petroleum based products... but I don't. SO I love using this as a lip treatment most nights. I also use it once or twice a week as an eye, face, or neck treatment, depending on how my skin is acting. Remember to use oh so sparingly though! Sometimes I even warm up a small amount in my hands and apply it to the ends of my hair overnight. It contains coconut oil known to penetrate the hair shaft extremely well, working as a deep conditioning treatment. (I always tie my hair up and only do this when I wash my hair the next morning) My boyfriend uses this on his nasty cracked feet as well, considering that he has used it more than once means it must work. Really, the list goes on! The only thing I would not do is wear it under makeup (obviously) or during the day on my face. SHINE central! I have somewhat acne prone skin and it has never reacted badly to this, but the first couple times I used it I was worried beacause it felt like it would lead to clogged pores. It doesn't, it sinks into the skin by the time I wake up leaving it plump and soft. *I do not applly this where I have active breakouts*