Smashbox O-GLOSS

3.6

on 8/28/2012 3:12:00 PM

The concept of this gloss is to give you the perfect pink for your lips. As a fan of gadget, I immediately bought this gloss, even if it was a little bit out of my usual price range. It's like a mood ring, but for your lips. I absolutely love the pink hue it gives to my lips. And the shine it has, oh my sweet lord. The taste, however, is a little too sweet for me. After a few hours, about 2 or 3, I noticed that the gloss was peeling off form my lips. However, almost every lip gloss has done that to me as of now, so it doesn't bother me anymore. I love the fact that the gloss goes on clear first, then settles for the right pink. Brings me back to my childhood :)

on 8/14/2012 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought this and I like it, but it's pretty expensive and there are cheaper versions out there. I like it, but not enough to shell out for it again.

on 7/13/2012 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Cool

I received the deluxe sample size from Ulta. The tube was the size of my pinkie. If that's the deluxe sample I'd hate to see the regular sample size. Size aside I put the gloss on my lips and waited...and waited...and waited. Apparently the natural color of my lips is the right shade for me because it didn't turn any other color. It was basically a clear gloss. It wasn't the stickiest gloss I've ever tried but it did have a some tack to it. I would never purchase the full size because a clear gloss by any other brand is a lot cheaper.

on 5/2/2012 3:35:00 PM

I like this gloss but it doesn't Waw me. I find it nice to have on when I want a very natural look.
What I like about this lip gloss is that it applies very well, it leaves a nice texture in the lips and it does give me a hint of colour that looks really natural.
What I don't like is the price, which I find really high for what it does- I am sure you can get similar glosses for a lot less

on 3/27/2012 5:38:00 PM

I was really excited to get this (regular O Gloss) as a gift because I thought the consept was cool. Sadly, I don't find it moisturizing at all and its supposed to be pink? It just looks like I put clear gloss on :( Maybe my lips are too pigmented...who knows! If you are looking to buy this product definitely try this at Ulta or Sephora first before you waste all that money.

on 3/20/2012 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I first tried the original O-Gloss at Ulta but it turned a bright, almost neon pink on me. When Smashbox came out with the Noir version, I couldn't wait to try it.

While the original version didn't turn out so well, Noir turns out a lovely berry shade that is very flattering on me. It's very close in color to their Photo Finish Lipstick in Marvelous which I love. I find the staying power to be decent. You likely won't be able to eat a full meal and still expect to find it perfectly applied, but it does take a while to wear off if you're just talking or sipping a drink. It takes me a good long while to use up glosses and lipsticks but if I ever run out, I will likely buy this again because the shade is so flattering.

on 1/29/2012 11:41:00 AM

This one is such a no brainer, everyone should have this in their purse/pocket/desk at work etc. This works on everyone! It looks as benign as a simple chap stick from the drug store and goes on clear, but turns into the most perfect, natural looking shade of pink lip gloss. And on top of this, it's very nourishing and soothing on dry lips.

on 12/28/2011 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Pros:
-Lasts forever. I got mine a few years ago when Sephora had them for $10 and I still have half the tube left.
-Great color...on me at least. It looks kind of like I was just eating a watermelon lollipop. But if true pinks aren't your cup of tea I don't think you will be happy. The color ends up somewhere on the gamut from pale pink to hot pink, depending on the person. No coral or peach tones here.
-Nice texture. Its smooth and non-sticky, and not too thick. It has no sparkle, which I like when I'm wearing glittery eyeshadow.
-Versatile. I've worn this with smoky eyes at night and bare eyes during the day, and it never looks overdone.

Cons:
-Not long wearing. The glossiness stays for about half an hour, with no disturbance. It migrates around your mouth very easily too--I remember putting it on in my ex's car at a gas station while he was paying inside, and when he came back to the car and saw me he freaked out and said it looked like I had herpes where the pigment had migrated (in that short period of time) to the top corner of my lip.
-WAY too expensive at full price. For $22, you can find the color it will turn on you in a much better formula.
-Packaging is messy and unhygienic. I don't like squeeze tubes applied directly to my lips, so I end up using fingers. And this stuff stains.

Overall its not the worst gloss, and I have recieved many compliments on it. But at full price, you can definitely find a better one.

on 12/7/2011 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have 3 versions of O-Gloss, only one of which I wear pretty regularly (O-Gloss Noir). I have a little sample tube of the original O-Gloss, which I unfortunately found to be way too hot-pink for me. I have a tube of Shimmer O-Gloss which I got as part of one of Smashbox’s kits (as far as I know the shimmer gloss is not available separately). It also turns a little hot-pink on me, but I feel like the gold shimmer kind of mutes the color a little. I wear this shade sometimes in the summer. My favorite shade is definitely the O-Gloss Noir. It goes on a dark, sheer, blackish purple, but after about 3-5 minutes develops into this nice, juicy, cool berry shade. As a gloss, it really isn’t anything special. I like this mainly for the color-changing aspect, and the fact that it stains my lips a little bit. The gloss is a little thin, but non-sticky, and has a very faint minty smell. The ‘gloss’ lasts about an hour on my lips, but the ‘stain’ effect lasts anywhere from 2-4 hours. I feel like the gloss moves around on my lips quite a bit, so after the color develops, I blot off the excess and top with another gloss or balm that has a little more ‘substance’. It can be applied, blotted, and reapplied if I want deeper color. I think the whole concept is a little gimmicky, but fun. If you find the color suits you, I’d say this is a worthwhile purchase, though its way too pricey for what it is at regular price. There are other comparable color-changing glosses available for much less. The O-Gloss Noir was limited edition for Fall 2010, but it is still available online at several discount beauty sites.

on 11/10/2011 11:57:00 AM

I was in a Sephora store a while ago and a sales girl tried to sell me on the benefits of this lip gloss. When she told me what it does and then said it's only $22, I laughed in her face! She seemed confused, so I pulled my tube of mark Glossblossom Ripening Lip Tint from my pocket, from Avon that only costs $6.50, and works better.

I tried the Smashbox version while in the store, just to see if it compared. It doesn't. Avon is better (and it was first)! I've been using the glossblossoms since it came out about 7 years ago. I have minimum of 3 tubes at any time, one for purse, house, and office!

To be honest, there wasn't anything I really liked about the Smashbox version. It felt too heavy on my lips, it was too sticky and the color was WAY too pink. By the time I was ready to leave the store, I checked a mirror and was shocked! It was almost neon pink on me (it reacts to everyone's chemistry differently), I wiped it off and had to put on brown gloss to counteract the pink stain it left behind.

With the Avon product, the texture is smooth and it glides on better and it's not sticky at all. And the color result I've seen it give people is way more natural than the Smashbox Pink (only a small percent of people can actually pull off that color pink!). Plus, as the gloss part wears down, the color stays behind, and you get a very nice stain with the Avon version.

For me, it's a no brainer! Why pay four times as much for something that works half as good! Go with Avon's mark Glossblossom Ripening Lip Tint from mark, you'll love it!!

Recommended for Medium Skin