Green Tea Tea-Bag Toner

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

green tea (tea bags or leaves), preferably organic. step 1: brew a cup and drink. step 2: massage the used tea bag on cleansed face :D or:: you can refrigerate the teabags to use them cold, or use a cotton ball dipped in the tea on your face rather than teabags...whatever you feel comfortable with :)

I've needed a toner that is natural, soothing, without alcohol or any other irritating ingredients and since there is no commercial toner like this for sale I have resorted to using green tea! It surprisingly is a very nice toner, it is calming and soothing on the skin and clears away any makeup residue. That being said it doesn't have anything else magical and its not like my skin has changed while using it, it is just a nice basic toner, so I gave it 4 lippies! Definitely better than anything you can buy in the stores.

Update Aug 2014: I am now using Amazonia Neroli Tonic Probiotic Vitamin Toner and absolutely love it.

on 5/12/2014 10:46:00 AM

As a 35 year old, I have been trying desperately to even out my skin tone and recapture that "glow" in my skin that is fading and doesn't appear unless I use a product with retinol in it. I am tired of using all these products and my skin has gotten irritated from it. I also don't like the hassle of wearing SPF 50 every morning since retinol and AHAs thin your skin and make it more sensitive, hence the need for a high SPF. I've realized that chemicals in sunscreens make my skin dull and lifeless. I read on Paula Begoun's website that antioxidants, although not a substitute for SPF, have proven to have sun protective qualities to it, strengthening the skin. Green tea has a "best" rating on her website as an antioxidant, and it's a common denominator in many of her skin care products.

I brewed 1/2 cup of green tea (used 2 tea bags) and let it steep maybe a little too long because I forgot about it. I had used green tea toner before but found it drying, so I added 1 tsp of vegetable glycerin to the mix and added it to a vial and put it in the fridge. I have used it only twice (once that night and again this morning), and I am very very pleased with the instantaneous results. I cleansed my skin as usual and then swiped an ample amount of the toner over my face (and even my eye area) and let it dry. After doing so this morning, I honestly debated as to whether or not I needed concealer and bb cream -- *because I didn't need it my skin was smooth and even*. I kept staring at myself in the mirror. I ended up just dabbing concealer with spf in it on some age spots to protect them, and decided to skip the spf 50 all over my face. I'm so glad that I added glycerin to the toner as I think this really adds a nice effect to my skin, as green tea can be drying. I can't wait to use daily and reap the rewards! Also as a side note -- my undereye bags went down considerably after using this twice. I let the cotton ball rest over each eye for about 20 seconds too. This helped a lot.

on 5/11/2014 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

I made a concoction from organic white/green tea leaves that contained peach leaves in the cloth pouch..steeped double-strength..I also boiled several silkworm cocoons to try and extract some sericin. Finally I added three drops of organic sesame oil (I reviewed it on MUA as well). Once cooled in the fridge, when it is ready to use, I use this like Saeki's lotion mask technique instructs. Afterward I apply my Daiso Sleeping Pack(night)/Kiss Aqua BB Cream(day).

First impression: Once dry, my face felt smooth and looked bright/translucent for about an half hour :) That's fine by me if the glow fades, I more so care that is is preparing my skin for sleep/makeup or whatever. So long as it calms and nourishes my skin I am a happy camper.

on 5/11/2014 8:54:00 PM

I love drinking orgainc green tea. It has many health benefits, but also makes a great skincare product.

After brewing a cup of green tea I just take out the tea bag and let it cool off. After that I swipe the green tea bag all over my face and neck, concentrating on my forehead, nose, chin, eye and undereye areas. Sometimes I will start to pat my face after to help the green tea absorb in to my skin. I do this once in a while when I feel my skin needs some oil control or when I start to see any acne forming.

I really notice a difference in my skin after using this. My pores look smaller, my skin feels refreshed. It helps with dark circles. I noticed this helping with any random redness I get as well. This is probably the best when I start to break out, it calms my pimples down. I also love using green tea in my homemade face masks as well, especially with rice flour.

One thing to know is that it can strip the skins moisture so I try to avoid it when my skin is feeling dry. When I'm oily or breaking out this is wonderful though.

on 3/12/2014 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I love to use green tea-bag toner for mornings. It also helps with puffy/dark circles.
It is great, easy and cheap solution.

on 2/21/2014 7:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I can't stand the taste of green tea for drinking, unless I force myself like a child. I use the tea bags over my eyes.

I usually add honey to the brew which is great for skin also.

After just 3 days of using the warm bags on my eyes, the dark lines under my eyes have significantly reduced.

This is worked quicker and better than any eye cream I've used.

I happy.

on 1/12/2014 5:27:00 AM

So...I was really excited when I came across this. I am a religious green tea drinker and have used Evan Healy's powder base green tea mask for a few years never once realizing I could just use my tea!!!--- (Feeling a little silly about that). ANYWAYS, while I am just trying this for the first time tonight, I am really excited for an every day green tea toner. I have decided to make mine with a twist.

I brewed two bags of organic caffein free green tea in a very small amount of water (maybe 1 cup), then I added 2 splashes of Noni juice, and a dab of honey (like maybe a squeeze of aprx. 1 inch long). I let it brew for about 30 minutes, and now I have my toner! I am going to store it in the fridge in a glass spray bottle.

I will update it about a week or so to see what I think!

Skin Reference: My skin produces a LOT of oil, however the texture is dry. I am also prone to acne spots, and have extremely large pores on my cheeks.

on 11/11/2013 11:21:00 PM

I had heard a lot on this website and others about people using green tea as a toner. I personally don't like the taste of green tea, and since I'm not drinking it I was never really interested in buying a box just to make a toner. But I just kept hearing so many people raving about this, so I went ahead and bought some and made myself a toner. I boiled 2-3 bags in a few cups of water, then poured it into a small spray bottle and kept it stored in the fridge. My skin had really been acting up and I was getting some pretty nasty breakouts, so I figured it would be a good time to see if this really is as good as everyone says.
Honestly, I didn't notice a big difference, and I used this twice a day for several months before giving up. I had heard this would reduce acne, make pimples heal faster, reduce redness, make skin less oily, and make pores appear smaller, but I got none of those benefits at all. I wish I had seen some positive change to my skin after using this, because this would have been a cheap and easily accessible addition to my skincare routine, but I won't be buying more green tea to use on my face. Unfortunately, it just did nothing for me.

on 10/30/2013 8:15:00 PM

After experimenting with cleansers & makeup, along with the change in cold weather, my sensitive, Rosacea skin reacted. Found myself trying a green tea toner, with Yes To Cucumbers Milk cleanser with my sensitive Olay moisturizer. Skin became calm & clear in about a week. I definitely think the green tea toner has helped clear & calm things down. With my sensitive skin, I must watch the ingredients in products. So what I like about my own green tea toner is that the ingredients are simple ( tea & water). Love!

on 7/17/2013 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I decided to give this a try after reading reviews. I LOVE it! I use 2 Lipton green tea bags in a 1/4 cup ready-to-boil water, steep until cool, remove bags, put liquid in a short jam jar and keep in fridge, repeat process 1x/week. After I've cleansed my face each night I dip a disposable exfoliating pad into the liquid to cover pad, rub all over face and neck then throw the pad away. If I wash my face and use no toner or product on it, the next morning it is very oily (as our skin makes up for the lack of pH balance). No matter what product I use on my face after cleansing it seems to leave it with extra oil the next morning. So with products/or without products my face will always over produce oil during the night....until now. Every single time I use this product after cleansing, it feels normal. AND the next morning if feels the same way! The coolness of the liquid from it being in the fridge feels awesome on my face, it's very inexpensive, it's very easy, and I've never had anything ever work to balance my skin out like green tea. Will be using this for a long time to come. It almost makes me not want to put any other product on my face after I've used it. I have T-zone oily skin that is highly sensitive to products which result in my face breaking out in a rash. I rarely get acne, but some hormonal acne will occasionally occur. This product has not produced any rash and no acne. I almost wonder if my pores look smaller???

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products