July 30, 2014 | 2124 users online

Toners - Green Tea tea-bag toner

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2014 5:27:00 AM More reviews by KcCuratola

So...I was really excited when I came across this. I am a religious green tea drinker and have used Evan Healy's powder base green tea mask for a few years never once realizing I could just use my tea!!!--- (Feeling a little silly about that). ANYWAYS, while I am just trying this for the first time tonight, I am really excited for an every day green tea toner. I have decided to make mine with a twist.

I brewed two bags of organic caffein free green tea in a very small amount of water (maybe 1 cup), then I added 2 splashes of Noni juice, and a dab of honey (like maybe a squeeze of aprx. 1 inch long). I let it brew for about 30 minutes, and now I have my toner! I am going to store it in the fridge in a glass spray bottle.

I will update it about a week or so to see what I think!

Skin Reference: My skin produces a LOT of oil, however the texture is dry. I am also prone to acne spots, and have extremely large pores on my cheeks.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by Jexka

I had heard a lot on this website and others about people using green tea as a toner. I personally don't like the taste of green tea, and since I'm not drinking it I was never really interested in buying a box just to make a toner. But I just kept hearing so many people raving about this, so I went ahead and bought some and made myself a toner. I boiled 2-3 bags in a few cups of water, then poured it into a small spray bottle and kept it stored in the fridge. My skin had really been acting up and I was getting some pretty nasty breakouts, so I figured it would be a good time to see if this really is as good as everyone says.
Honestly, I didn't notice a big difference, and I used this twice a day for several months before giving up. I had heard this would reduce acne, make pimples heal faster, reduce redness, make skin less oily, and make pores appear smaller, but I got none of those benefits at all. I wish I had seen some positive change to my skin after using this, because this would have been a cheap and easily accessible addition to my skincare routine, but I won't be buying more green tea to use on my face. Unfortunately, it just did nothing for me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 8:15:00 PM More reviews by Lorel1

After experimenting with cleansers & makeup, along with the change in cold weather, my sensitive, Rosacea skin reacted. Found myself trying a green tea toner, with Yes To Cucumbers Milk cleanser with my sensitive Olay moisturizer. Skin became calm & clear in about a week. I definitely think the green tea toner has helped clear & calm things down. With my sensitive skin, I must watch the ingredients in products. So what I like about my own green tea toner is that the ingredients are simple ( tea & water). Love!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2013 12:41:00 AM More reviews by DragonRhia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I decided to give this a try after reading reviews. I LOVE it! I use 2 Lipton green tea bags in a 1/4 cup ready-to-boil water, steep until cool, remove bags, put liquid in a short jam jar and keep in fridge, repeat process 1x/week. After I've cleansed my face each night I dip a disposable exfoliating pad into the liquid to cover pad, rub all over face and neck then throw the pad away. If I wash my face and use no toner or product on it, the next morning it is very oily (as our skin makes up for the lack of pH balance). No matter what product I use on my face after cleansing it seems to leave it with extra oil the next morning. So with products/or without products my face will always over produce oil during the night....until now. Every single time I use this product after cleansing, it feels normal. AND the next morning if feels the same way! The coolness of the liquid from it being in the fridge feels awesome on my face, it's very inexpensive, it's very easy, and I've never had anything ever work to balance my skin out like green tea. Will be using this for a long time to come. It almost makes me not want to put any other product on my face after I've used it. I have T-zone oily skin that is highly sensitive to products which result in my face breaking out in a rash. I rarely get acne, but some hormonal acne will occasionally occur. This product has not produced any rash and no acne. I almost wonder if my pores look smaller???

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2013 8:22:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

Too easy! Once a week I make a seriously strong brew using three green tea bags with half a cup of water. Once cooled I put it in an opaque spray bottle and add a little bit of niacinamide. The concoction feels silky and slippery on my skin and smells beautifully fresh. More importantly it gives my combination skin just enough moisture in the morning underneath my sunscreen. This way I don't need to use anything else. No extra layers of product equals no extra blocked pores or zits. My skin looks more even toned and calm and I know it's fresh every week.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 6:00:00 PM More reviews by AJ6488

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Guess what? Only after two times of using cold green tea bags on my eyes for 15 mins, my dark circle and eye bags are completely gone, and those tiny little white bumps under my eyes almost disappeared! I'm so happy that I found this method on MUA, I have been switching around expansive fancy eye creams over the years and honestly none of it does any good job except giving me all those tiny disgusting bumps under my eyes. Now I drink green tea for my health and weight lose, tone my skin with the green tea water as an antioxidant skin care and apply two cold tea bags on my eyes every morning to avoid dark circles and eye bags, and for the first time in many years, I'm completely dark circle, eye bag free :DDD When I touch my under eyes before I could feel the hardness of the eye bags (that's how serious they were from years of lack of sleeps in my early 20s) and now it's completely flat! Now I'm switching my entire skin care to all kinds of natural products (coconut oil, olive oil, essential oil, green tea, rosewater etc) after the shockingly impressive results after using them.

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2013 1:06:00 AM More reviews by applepie132

I've used green tea toner for just about 3 day but i have already seen the result, I think green tea is great for controlling oil, the weather is so hot in my country now but thank to the green tea toner, my skin produces less oil than it used to. I put some honey in the toner and it smells really sweet. It is hard to find a oil control toner with such price. Love it

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2013 6:28:00 AM More reviews by Snugglebunny123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Green tea is really good! It tastes good and not only that, it is good for your skin!

I'm gonna tell my story of green tea.
About a week ago I made a nice warm cup of green tea and as I was about to throw the tea bag away I thought - isn't green tea meant to be good for your skin? So ripped the bag open and put the leaves in a little pot. ( I really reccomennd making this facial warm, it's so relaxing. So I put a tiny bit more water from the kettle in the leaves to make a paste. Then I just put the leaves on my face and left it on for about 20 minuets! After my skin felt soooooooo smooth! It's such a gentle facial and I recommend this to any one with sensitive skin!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2013 9:44:00 AM More reviews by cherriesandpie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm incredibly interested in WHY skin products work. I wanted to know why green tea was good for my skin and why it would work.

In a recent clinical trial green tea has been found to affect the four main causes related to acne production;

(1) increased sebum production

(2) altered keratinization of follicular keratinocytes,

(3) activity of P. acnes, and

(4) inflammation.

Green tea combats all these issues! Meaning it shall create much smaller pores, greatly reduce inflammation, PREVENT the production of acne. It prevents acne as it affects the pore lining; fixing the damaged pore structure; damaged pore structure is how our skin gets clogged up with dirt, dead skin cells and oil. It also kills the P acne bacteria responsible for producing acne (messed up pores and the bacteria are what create acne in the first place). Typically benzolyn peroxide is used to kill P acnes - however many people experience horrific dry skin and skin that looks aged - this is what put me off and why I wanted to research green tea! Green tea has been found to produce none of these extreme affects - found only to have very minor negative affects. BHA is typically used to alter the pores of the skin for those with acne - while I love this product I find it also causes my skin to become flakey. Green tea doesn't! It's also way cheaper than these products!

It also works on acne that is already on the skin; helping healing and lessening inflammation.

Green tea leaves my pores FAR FAR smaller in a couple of uses, it leaves my skin a lot smoother - I haven't been using it long enough to know if it really will do what it has been reported to do but I will update a let you guys know :)!

21 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2013 2:02:00 AM More reviews by babybefree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've edited this review a few times after experimenting some and just want to leave this final one instead:

Green tea (plain old Twinings brand) is probably the one skincare product I use almost every day. When I get home and want to be good to my sensitive/breakout-prone skin, I'll take off my makeup and then use a hot green tea bag as a toner all over my face. Then, the most important part- while my face is still damp, I'll open the bag and put a thin layer of the still hot/wet tea leaves over any problem areas- pimples that may be forming or ones I've just popped or old ones that are healing. (thin layer is important because if you put too big a clump on, it won't dry properly and you won't get the best results- you may have to experiment for yourself to see what I mean).

Then I'll go watch tv or go online for a little while being careful (some leaves may fall off but most surprisingly stay on), and in fifteen/twenty minutes the leaves will have dried on your face. I can then brush those off to find much less red/inflamed skin underneath. I'll usually put some more leftover/cold leaves on it throughout the night to keep help bringing any redness/inflammation down. This really works for me, weird as it may sound. It's not all that surprising though since there's research that green tea is good for inflammation and wound healing (look it up!!) among many other things. This is about as organic as it gets.

Pop a pimple or pick at spot? Quick, brew up a hot cup of green tea, use the bag as a toner, and then put a thin clump of some leaves over it for a while. When the leaves are dry and you wipe them off, you should be amazed to see the redness/inflammation/irritation down by a lot. If you have the time, repeat with some leftover leaves.

As far as using it as just a toner- it's good/great but not flawless. It may help combat redness but it can also leave a distinct color to your face that can be visible under makeup along with a film. I've also found that if I try to layer this toner over another layer, it can start leaving those tiny bumps on my forehead, so watch out for that. I don't think this prevents breakouts that come from within (such as from a hormonal balance) but it can definitely combat what you're getting or what you've already got.

Altogether this is wonderful for skin. If you don't like it, you can still use it for tea drinking and it's cheap. I get a box of 50 twinings brand bags from wegmans for probably around 6 bucks and it lasts me several weeks (using 1 or 2 a day). The taste is admittedly pretty bland but I've experimented with more 'exciting' brands/flavors before and this is the one that works best for my skin. The box is totally unassuming (vs. ACNE WASH in your shopping cart or in the bathroom), though of course it does look sort of funny while you're wearing it- but if it works who cares right?

extra tip: For those women who use honey as a mask- I've found that placing those tea leaves over the honey can usually help it stay in place rather than drip down and make a mess (unless the leaves are still too wet!).

I hope this helps! Let me know what you think.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No