October 25, 2014 | 1775 users online

Hair Color - Herbatint - Permanent Haircolour Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2012 6:52:00 PM More reviews by Thaxter

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wow! Where has this Italian product been all my life?? I took the plunge and put a straight color of Golden Chestnut (4D) into my chin-length, greying hair, which had been dyed at the salon about four months ago. The result was a very rich brown shade which, in the sun, has a wonderful reddish tint. It is quite subtle. The shade was much darker than I would have thought, and had I taken the time to read all the reviews on the vitacost site, where I bought the dye, I would have gone toward a lighter shade. All the same, I just love it.

Ease of application is amazing. Just mix two liquids in a plastic bowl and stir, or use a plastic haircolor bottle and shake. The product forms into a light gel. I used a hard bristle toothbrush (couldn't find a tint brush at the drugstore) to touch up my temples and roots first, then finished my hair, which I had sectioned into three parts. The application went quickly, and it was easy to use a wide tooth comb to distribute all the gel through my hair. I hate messy applications, and this gel is a dream -- it doesn't glob, drip, or otherwise make life a hassle for you.

If you don't use all the product, you can cap the two bottles and return it to the box and use it the next time.

After distributing the color, I piled my hair on top (the gel stuck nicely together), put on a shower cap, and set a timer for 40 minutes. No strong odor or unpleasant sting.

In the shower, this washed out like a dream. Again, there was no mess -- no pools of really dark color from drugstore brands, none of the grit of henna . . . just a lightweight gel that washed out quickly and didn't stain the tub, walls, or shower curtain. The conditioner that comes with the box is rich and perfect afterwards, and you can buy the conditioner separately to have on hand. This dye does have a tangling effect after wash out, and you will need a rich moiturizing conditioner with it. A good alternative conditioner to the Royal Conditioner Herbatin makes is Aubrey Organics White Camilla.

I think the color effect is luxurious. It's a bit dark, but I'm okay with it for now. When looking at the colors at the web site, bear in mind that the actual base color is the darkest shade you'll see in the samples, not the highlighted bright tresses illuminated by artificial light. So always go a shade lighter.

I'll never go back to any product -- I love this. And it deeply colored ALL my grey! I'll check in in the future to give an update of wear over time.

9/1/12
Here's an update of wear. This color lasted well over a month. I have taken to using Light Chestnut, which gives a rich auburn shade to my otherwise medium chestnut shade. Color stays rich throughout the month with minimal fading. I do not find it flat or one-dimensional, as some have said, but just the opposite: I can see subtle highlights when I'm outdoors or inside.

No harsh chemicals, a wide range of rich Italian colors, terrific coverage, long lasting, and no stains on your bathtub or sink . . . what's not to love?

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2012 1:59:00 PM More reviews by geb910

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Just tried this product for the first time. My hair was not in the best shape going into this color (dry from going brown to blonde back last July!) so I wanted to spare as much more damage as possible and still cover the few grays I'm getting. 1) the smell was wonderful compared to any others I've used 2) the display at the store said to buy 1 shade lighter than you normally do which I did and the color is great. My hair does not feel any worse (dryness) than it did before coloring. I think this product is good -- if my opinion changes I'll post another time. It is a bit expensive, but I was using John Frieda which is the same price but actually made my scalp get bloody patches (though color is super). Worth a try!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/27/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by lieMan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used Herbatint for years. What's great is you can measure out portions and use the same box a few times (especially to re-touch roots). I liked that it didn't have any bad smell and I didn't get any allergic reaction. I've gone to an aveda salon and there dye stunk and burned and the hairdresser was clueless what to do. I can't imagine what traditional salon or store dyes would do. The traditional store dyes would make my mom's lips three times their size. What I REALLY don't like about Herbatint is after years of using it my hair quality is CRAP! At first it used to be shiny and soft, especially with their amazing shampoo and conditioner line. It also scares me wit any of these dyes that one could develop an allergic reaction at any time but supposedly it's rare. Rare is not low enough for me -_- Anyways, the gray coverage was great. I was using the color black. I need a brand that I can use for decades as needed and that won't kill my hair. I do get regular hair cuts but my hair is like "old" Gene Simmons from kiss now.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2010 5:20:00 PM More reviews by lucyfur888

I am looking for the holy grail of non damaging gray hair coverage. I have tried all the Clairol, Garnier and L'oreal brands and the ammonia in them ruined my hair while the semi permanents do not touch the gray. It is IMPOSSIBLE to touchup gray roots without overlapping and if you overlap with permanent ammonia products your hair will eventually break off which mine did. I tried this brand out of desperation because I don't want to have a short white granny head of hair but now I understand why older hair looks so bad it's the chemicals in perms and dyes that does it. Well to tell you the truth this product worked remarkably well; it covered just as good as the permanent brands and turned my gray into hi-lites. I used a colour a good 2 shades lighter than what I would normally use like 8N natural light blonde will give you light brown not blonde. But I am very happy with the result; there is absolutely no odour at all, the coverage doesn't seem to fade any worse than the ammonia laden brands and the multitonal effect is quite natural. I will continue using this product since it is the only thing I can use that will cover gray and not ruin my hair. I feel that the major brands have no interest in selling to older women otherwise they wouldnt come out with such harsh products that not only destroy your hair but look dried out and fake as well. Just ignore the somewhat "hokey" packaging this comes in and the fact you need to get it in places like Whole Foods; it is definately worth the price.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/30/2010 2:37:00 PM More reviews by lulubull

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had been looking for a natural product to cover some pesky greys and Herbatint came highly recommended by an acquaintance of mine. I usually research products before I try them, but the person I spoke with gave such a glowing review of the product and had such a beautiful head of hair to boot, that I decided to take the plunge blindly. Man, do I feel like a chump. I noticed immediately after processing that my hair felt drier, which is often the case before you apply the conditioner, so I waited to see the results after conditioning. Btw, the conditioner--Royal Cream, was so amazing I went out and purchased a bigger bottle of it later. And, good thing I did. My hair, which is naturally very thick and coarse, is now also damaged, feels very dry and has lost all of it's luster. I will never purchase this product again and would definitely not recommend it to my friends. The only positive things I can say about this product is that it did cover my greys and the color turned out nice. Not really worth it though for the damage it did to my hair. Going back to drugstore products until NASA comes up with something better.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2010 12:18:00 PM More reviews by nightreaper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I just used this product for the first time last night to not only color my own long, fine natural hair, but to color a set of dark brown weft extensions as well (I'm a hairdresser and get a 30% discount on product but we didn't have any black extensions.. however they were human hair so they took color just like regular hair would).

I used 1N and was quite skeptical at first (I'd used natural colors; henna, manic panic.. before and they always left my roots ashy and under-colored). But as the color darkened during processing (I know they say processing color doesn't matter!) I knew it would turn out great. It did. My hair is now a shiny, natural looking black.

However; for this dye, I recommend a couple things.

Pre-color: Buy a product mixing bottle like in the regular drugstore coloring boxes. I highly recommend this. You can pour all the glycol and color into the bottle and shake it just like you would with drugstore color. This makes it MUCH easier and more controlled to distribute the color throughout your hair.

1. Wash your hair of any product before you put in the dye.
2. If you have root growth, put the color on your roots for 25 minutes, and then the ends for 15 minutes.
3. Gently shampoo once you've rinsed the color to clear.
4. Use the conditioning packet provided. If you don't have enough conditioning, put an extra dab of your regular conditioner to the ends as well; leave in for 3-5 minutes, and rinse with cool water.

Hope this helped!

-Alice

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2010 10:56:00 AM More reviews by Kathy123

In comparison with the wide range of hcs that I have used, this was not really all that. It made my hair shiny but so did all other products. The worst thing about this product is that made my hair extremely dry and stiff. I used a lot of conditioner to get the dryness out but it was still a mess. Okay, so if you want to use a product that is healthy for your scalp and hair, this is not the answer. I would rather to use chemicals that do not dry my scalp and hair than herbal stuff like this that take 5 times more conditioner. I used 1N, which is natural black but I do not recommend this brand to anyone. My Revlon Colorsilk, which was 1/10th of the price of this, leaves my hair in a better condition.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2010 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Virgo03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using a clear lightener called "Luminize", to lighten my dark golden blond hair by one shade. But, now that I'm beginning to get "first grays", I decided it was time to start experimenting with color. I've tried a few temporary and semi-permanent hair colors, but they just wouldn't stick to my grays at all.

Following the advice of the woman at Herbatint's help line, I got colors lighter than what I was really trying to achieve. I used a mixture of 8D and 8N on just the un-lightened part of my hair. It gives a very soft, natural-looking result. However, my handful of grays picked up only the faintest trace of color! Like a "whisper tint" that isn't going to last past a couple of washings. And yet, if I went any darker the rest of my hair would get too much color. (It's already a little darker than the color I've been getting with my clear lightener.) I have probably less than 1% gray that isn't even visible yet, but some years down the road, I'm probably going to have to give in and get an ammonia-based color.

My other complaint with this product is not being "true-to-color". For instance, 8D is called "Light Golden Blonde", but the picture on the box looks like what most people would call a dark blond. Maybe the Italians have a different standard as far as what constitues "light, "medium", and "dark"? I don't know, but it looks to me as though a lot of the colors run 2 or 3 shades darker than what the names imply. This is one of the most expensive hair colors available (even if you get it online), and I wonder how many boxes you would need to go through in order to find the right color!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2010 9:58:00 PM More reviews by Wendy1954

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used this product on my roots this morning. Based on reviews here and elsewhere I chose lighter colors to use. My natural hair color is medium brown 30% gray although there are spots where it's 50% and I usually use a dark blonde to get it to a lighter brown. It always pulls red which I try to counter with semi perm toners. I used 3 colors 6N(dark blonde), light blonde 8N, and med ash blonde 7C. All used equally with developer. Based on my experience, the color came out lighter than I wanted and bit warm. I can see some of the grays but they are golden. My guess is they'll shine through in a week or two like other colors. Next time I'll just use the 6N and add some 7c to counter warmth to see how that goes. There is a subtle smell like Naturtint but not strong. Hair felt dry and the conditioner helped. On the fence with this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2010 11:45:00 PM More reviews by seaquin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used the 5N (light chestnut). As it's my first time dying my 25% grey hair I wanted to use a gentle dye without ammonia. This dye hardly smelt at all. Very gentle on the nose! I found the process messy - probably because I'm a novice in hair dying - rinsing it in the shower was even messier. Moreover, I did a poor job in spreading the colour evenly and thickly so many greys are showing through. A lot of my natural light golden brown hair is peeping thru as well. My fault, as I was scared of irritating my sensitive scalp (which didn't happen).BUT I have to say that the colour and condition of my hair where the dye has taken is beautiful - glossy and a rich dark auburn/chestnut that is ravishingly natural looking! if it fades a bit it'll still look good I reckon. Next time I'll be more generous with the amount I put in my hair - and there shall definitely be a next time.
Note: I used the shampoo and conditioner suppled with the colour. This seems to have made my hair very soft and shiny. Lovely.