Neutrogena Healthy Volume

3.7

on 10/24/2013 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is such an average mascara. The price is too high for a drugstore product that delivers such mediocre results. I had a big problem with it smudging and giving me raccoon eyes. I already have horrible dark circles, I don't need anything to add to darkness under my eyes. It's not the worst, but not great either. Will not repurchase.

on 10/20/2013 12:19:00 PM

I really like this mascara! I'm always trying new ones, but I've been through several tubes of this one. It does a great job of thickening my lashes while keeping them separate, which is a big plus for me. The formula is on the dry side, which I like, but I don't have problems with flaking or smudging through the day. I've used both the black brown and the carbon black formulas, and I think the carbon black one is a little better, but the black brown is also great, and I've repurchased both colors.

The ONLY down side for me is that the brush is REALLY big. This helps with thickening, but I usually have little smudges of mascara along my lashline after I use it. It's not bad, and it cleans up fine with a q-tip, but it is an extra step. Hasn't stopped me from repurchasing though!

on 8/17/2013 6:49:00 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love my Neutrogena products, but this Healthy Volume mascara is way below their usual quality standard. I do like the rich, dark, black color this mascara delivers, but that's about it. The packaging is nothing special at all, the brush is just a typical tester brush that is usually found at makeup counters. But I don't hold the simple packaging against Neutrogena, it's the performance that really ruined this product. This mascara couldn't hold a curl at all (in fact it made my lashes straighter, which made them look like they didn't even exist), and this mascara smudges more easily than any other mascara I've ever tried. Also, the tube dried up very quickly, which does not make this product worth the money paid for it. There's definitely something better out there.

on 7/31/2013 9:27:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I love this mascara!!! i have extremely long, normally thick but extremely straight lashes. It is such a struggle to find a good mascara that doesn't clump my easily-clumpable (new word here!) lashes, but also holds my curl at least a little since i hate wearing waterproof mascaras on a daily basis. So far, i have ruled out all wet mascaras, and thick mascaras. I've stuck with Covergirl Clump Crusher mascara, but i remembered using the waterproof version of this last summer, and it was a nice formula, and not thick at all. My lashes looked naturally fluttery and thick, not like i had mascara on. So, i bought this at target for about $7.29 but i had a $2 off coupon. I went straight home to try it out. I curled my lashes like normal, and put on about 2 coats. Totally separated, thick, and most importantly, CURLED lashes!!! it held the curl very nicely, and im so happy that i finally found an affordable mascara (the only other one was Dior's Diorshow) that actually makes my lashes look great, and holds the curl!! super excited, will totally repurchase(:

Edit 10/13- my tube just dried out, so I got a few months of use out of it!!! I am still very happy with this product, and I will repurchase. I have found this is a very build able mascara, and it definitely holds a curl better than most for me. I also found it keeps my lashes pretty conditioned, and it's very easy to take off at night. The only reason I bumped it down to a 4 lippie rating was because this smudges pretty easily on me. Granted, I have pretty oily eyelids but still I wish it's staying power was a bit better. Other than that though, highly recommend this mascara!

I love the way this makes my lashes look! It applies well and your eyes look like they are smiling. It does smudge but that's only if you rub your eyes. I love this stuff!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Okay, I must say when I first purchased this product I was not at all that excited...it seemed very "meh" to me and I needed several coats to make my lashes appear. Somehow after a few uses it started to stick to my lashes better and with the first coat I would get these gorgeous fluffy natural looking lashes. I sometimes wear one coat if I want to go very natural or two coats for a more stand-out lash look. What I really love about this mascara and I was not expecting at all is for my lashes to grow....let me explain to you how phenomenal this was. I had used some demi lashes and had a bit of an accident where I maybe had too much to drink and didn't take them off properly. oops. (i'm 24, just so that no one thinks im underage or anything) This resulted in some small bald spots along my lashline. These lashes were short and horrifying and made me lose my mind. I bought this in hopes of increasing the volume of my lashes to try and ide my patches...and it's actually helped my little hairs in their journey to growing back out! It's not a drastic change, but my lashes feel thicker after using this exclusively for about 2 weeks. I don't know if this works for anyone with normal lashes but it has helped to speed along my baby lashes in their growth. Hope this review helped! I have really been enjoying this product.

on 6/26/2013 12:08:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is a very decent drugstore mascara. It reminds me of Benefit Bad Gal Lash, the brush is very similar and they both have a wet formula that turns dry very fast. Gives natural looking volume and some length, nothing crazy. Good every day mascara.

on 6/21/2013 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

At first, i got the waterproof version of this mascara. it dried out VERY quickly. so i tossed it.

And i decided to give the non-waterproof one a try. IT was awesome, it gives me natural looking lashes and volume. i really liked it. the brush is thick and gives volume.

on 6/18/2013 1:31:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Pros
-doesn't make my eyes sting
-doesn't flake
-my lashes still feel soft when I remove it

Cons
-no real volume

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this mascara, and curse the fact I'm not popping into major US cities enough to stock up on my drugstore HGs; one of these is the Neutrogena Healthy Volume Carbon Black. For a Canadian with no access to the discontinued (here) Maybelline Full n Soft (my HG), this is a very close second for me. I think the two are definitely wholly comparable, though the Neutrogena edges out Maybelline on the colour front (Carbon Black beats Very Black, everytime.) I still prefer the formula of the Maybelline (a bit more wet) and the greater control I have with the smaller F&S wand.

I think it's impossible for me to review the Neutrogena Healthy Volume (HV), without also comparing it my beloved F&S. Truthfully, I would've bought the F&S on my last trip to Chicago, but the Walgreen's I popped into for my bottle of wine, did not carry F&S. A full Maybelline display with no F&S?! My heart sank; but I'd previously tried HV and knew the two were comparable, so I picked up two packs of the HV - enough to carry me through to my next crossborder trip.

This mascara is as beautiful as I remembered. A gorgeous rich black formula, that manages to hold a curl. It's a great option for very natural lashes; I personally hate a wiry, plastic wand so that's one thing it's got going for it versus, say, CG Natureluxe (similar effect, crappy brush.) However, the brush is huge - I think it's fine and workable if you have a larger or longer eye, but I could see those with smaller eyes finding the wand annoying - the fuzzy part is big and round. I also find the the formula is a wee bit drier than F&S. The colour also works better with me, especially when I tend to search for the richest black liner I can find. The CB colour is a CB; not a greyed-black cop-out.

It's one of those things I'd say would be a great subsititute for F&S, but given Neutrogena doesn't sell it's makeup line in Canadian stores (dammit) and F&S is discontinued here (double dammit) neither of these are really substitutes for one another in Canadaland where neither is sold. But given that I didn't find F&S at this particular Walgreen's, I'm perfectly thrilled that I managed to find and walk away with HV. Will definitely stock up the next time I'm in the US.