October 21, 2014 | 1864 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Boots - No7 Shine Free Make-Up Base

rated 3 of 5 on 1/30/2013 10:04:00 AM More reviews by ontheglam

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

In my opinion, this is a "meh" primer. The best thing that it has going for it is that it really REALLY stays matte. All day. And since I'm being honest here, I fell asleep before taking my makeup off last night and it was STILL matte when I woke up. It also makes my foundation last just as long. That's all good!
What I do not like about it is the texture. It doesn't go on as smoothly as other primers I've tried before, it's hard to blend because it dries really quickly, and I think that it might be drying out my skin (although, it could be my new complexion soap which I started using at the same time as this, so don't quote me). I've also noticed that it doesn't fill in my pores as well as other primers, which is pretty much why I use primer in the first place. Others have said it looks chalky and white- I haven't noticed this because I'm super pale to begin with and it just doesn't really matter for me.
I bought this simply because it was on clearance at Target and I was out of primer, but I won't be buying again. My favorite primer to this day is Avon's Magix Face Perfector, and I will be returning to that shortly.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/16/2012 1:50:00 AM More reviews by Ravenn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have normal skin that isn't oily or dry (but that is pretty sensitive) and this is one of the worst primers I have ever tried. It doesn't go on properly and goes all cakey and flakes off when trying to apply. I tried it over my moisturizer and that did not help either. Unless you have really oily skin, I wouldn't recommend this!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2012 11:13:00 AM More reviews by cheljo01

I bought this because I needed something to matte my face (oily/combo skin). If you don't use it moderately and rub it in well, it will leave white streaks. It feels super dry, which i want my face matte, but not desert-like dry. It's not bad for a quick fix. I did notice this summer that even though i had used it well, my make up would still run on my forehead (gross and embarrassing!). I honestly probably won't buy it again. I have recently bought and tried Monistat Anti-Chafing Powder/Gel and it works soo much better AND it's cheaper. Overall, the Boots No. 7 brand is great, just not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2012 3:17:00 PM More reviews by micky887

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have super oily skin and this primer does the trick it keeps me matte free for a while my first tube lasted me for well over a year as you only need a small amount however it's not easily blend able and if you put too much on you can see it and can look pasty that's my gripe with this product however I have yet to find a better primer than this one

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2012 11:38:00 PM More reviews by macadelic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is seriously SHINE FREE. It feels like you're putting clay on your face. The texture is a little weird, and if you don't blend it in all the way, it shows up under your foundation. But if you really want a shine free base, then use this!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/7/2012 3:21:00 PM More reviews by VBaricelli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't like this primer. I agree with others that you do need to pat it on instead of trying to rub it in. Working quickly in small areas worked best for me. I didn't like the consistency though and it tended to leave my skin a little chalky/white looking, which wasn't what I was going for. (I don't wear foundation). The price IS great though! I wish someone would come up with a mattifyer at a drugstore price.

I also didn't find it held back shine any better than the other products I've tried. So far, the best mattifyer for me is Clinique's Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfector. It works the best for me. I will use a oil free moisturizer on top if I notice any dryness (which most mattifyers seems to magnify for me...but I can deal with dryness if I don't end up greasy later).

Like everything...what works for one, doesn't for others. I'm always so happy to get a sample if I can, and I've lucked out over the years in trying different things. Other primers/mattifyers that didn't work so great (or at all) for me - Murad, Urban Decay, Fresh, Korres and Benefit.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2012 11:24:00 PM More reviews by twirlingswirlin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin, particularly my t-zone. I have tried blotting sheets, mattefying powder, and Urban Decay De Slick spray under and over my foundation all to no avail. Iíve been wanting to try Muradís oil-control mattifier or Macís mattyfing gel, however I found the price tags on these items discouraging. I decided to try the Boots shine free make up base because itís only $10 at Target. So far this product has been the most successful at keeping the shine at bay, there is still some oil, but my face stays rather matte for at least 3 -4 hours and even when the oil starts peeking through it is a lot less prominent. Another plus is that it has not broken me out, and my skin is very prone to breakouts. I find that applying this with a flat kabuki brush gives me a smooth application. Will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2012 10:26:00 AM More reviews by xAllDolledUp

So I got one of them £5 off No7 vouchers from Boots so I picked up their Shine Free Primer, which normally retails at £11. This even without the voucher is a really great price for the amount of product you get when you compare the size to other brands.

There is some controversy over this product, so I guess it does depend on your skin type on whether it will work for you. I would say I have combination skin and find this works well for me. I do moisturise before applying the product, not because I feel it's necessary, but because it's my normal routine and didn't alter this when using the product.

I find that the primer does help my make-up stay in place. I find that the product is a little drying but that's fine because my skin can become oily, which is why my make-up does budge. I don't know if there's a lot to say about a primer really - there's no smell and it does it's job. Plus I find it a great value for money product.

Overall, I like this product and I will be repurchasing it, but I feel if you have a problem with products usually, maybe read some more reviews from people with similar skin to you, or definitely buy it with the voucher to avoid the feeling of wasted money!

I often review on my blog - www.xAllDolledUp.blogspot.co.uk

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2012 1:11:00 PM More reviews by OverTheHill

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

By jove I think I've got it!! Well at least, it works for me. What I do is mix my oil free moisturiser with a blob of this in the palm of my hand, and apply the mixture as I would just moisturiser. No streaks, no chalkiness, and no bobbles of foundation whichever method I use to apply. I don't know if it would still emphasise dry bits doing it this way, cos I don't HAVE any dry bits!
My go-to foundation is Bourjois Healthy Mix (not that it stops me trying everything new that comes out :( ) which is supposed to give 16 hours wear. Well I've never got that much out of it even when my skin was at its best, but lately it's been going patchy after only a very few hours. No other foundation did any better so I thought I'd better give a primer a go, but I know that silicone primers are a disaster on me which is why I decided to try this one. As others have said, it's not perfect, but it's good. My skin looks smoother and the make up lasts a lot longer.
I wonder if it just doesn't mix well with oil based moisturisers and foundations? It's water based, so remembering basic chemistry - oil and water don't mix - maybe I get a good result because everything I use is oil free?

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2012 11:35:00 AM More reviews by smeghani

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I decided to get this product while I was just browsing at Target and needed a face primer. By far, this is one of the best face primers I have used to this age, and I have used a lot of them. This primer does a great job of giving your makeup the staying power and it also keeps that shine at bay. I will def be buying this primer again!