Chanel Le Blanc de Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base

3.9

Ingredients: aqua, ethylhexyl palmitate, talc, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, cyclopentasiloxane, silica, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel extract) water, propylene glycol, glycerin, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, aluminium hydroxide, butylene glycol, alcohol, phenoxyethanol, tribehenin, silica dimethyl silyate, methylparaben, disteardimonium hectorite, propylparaben, fragrance, BHT, laminaria digitata extract, ascorbyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, disodium stearoyl glutamate, citric acid, sodium hyaluronate, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, butylparaben, ethylparaben, denatonium benzoate, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), mica.

on 1/16/2014 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I really enjoy this product! It does not break my skin out, I can wear it alone without any concealer or foundation, covers up all redness (I have the classic rosacea red "butterfly wings"), can be mixed with foundation to lighten and brighten the foundation, can be used as a base under foundation, or on top of foundation as a highlighter. Does not contain any sparkles or shimmer, but rather has a beautiful translucent opal-like finish. I do not find this product to be drying, or hydrating--which I like! For those with asthma or fragrance sensitivities, if you have never tried any Chanel makeup or skin products test it at a Chanel makeup counter. All the Chanel products I own contain a slight fragrance.

on 1/12/2014 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This product is so easy to overdo. Even on my dry skin, it feels really slimy and awful all day if I pour out too much. I don't find that it helps my makeup stay on better at all - and in fact, over sunscreen it is absolutely terrible, cakes and balls up and slides right off.

HOWEVER: I haven't found another product that's better for sheering out too-matte, too-heavy foundations. I tap on a tiny, tiny bit of this (on dry unmoisturized skin and a no-ss day) and then pat the foundation right over. I also use it to lighten up foundations that are a little too dark. This one product really helps me use up other products that aren't quite right - it's saved me a lot of money throughout the seasons, water changes, skincare regimen changes, etcetera.

Bonus: Works just like MAC Strobe Cream as a highlight on top of foundation, without the godawful fishy-weird smell of SC.

If they ever reformulate it so I can actually use it as a primer, I'll buy another bottle. Since you need so little, I really think I'll have a hard time finishing this one - it's just not worth using every day, even if it is sort of useful.

on 12/12/2013 10:04:00 AM

I love my blanc de chanel. I use it mostly for night out make-up, on top of my foundation, at highlight points like cheekbones - anywhere I want the light to hit and make stand out more. It gives my face a fantastic glow and apparently takes years off as well.
I didn't get a spatula with it, so in order to keep the product as bacteria free as possible, I have always just gently tipped the bottle and put a few drops onto my hand, then use a foundation brush to apply.
I also have used it all over my face when I wanted to create a real 'geisha' porcelain effect.
My skin is fair-medium with olive tones, combination skin.
I think this is one of the most elegant make-ups I have ever used. My first bottle has lasted 4 years now, so money-wise, it's not really so expensive for me.
I reccommend this product for evening wear/ glam use more than everyday. For everyday glow, foundations with a glow factor are better.

on 10/5/2013 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This product will be perfect if they would redesign the packaging becuz it is juz so not convenient and i hate it. But this work perfectly for me and i love the fruity smell of it... It helps my skin look naturally radiant glow and healthy. It helps my make up lasts longer as well. Really love it but juz the packaging.. Seriously? At first i thought that there is something wrong becuse it is juz a really heavy bottle with a wide mouth and a spatula, really hard for me to control the amount of product to use everytime.

on 9/2/2013 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Edit: original review below. This product has been updated and now has fantastic packaging! The name has been slightly modified (Le Blanc Multi-Use Illuminating Base) but it is the same glorious stuff inside. I am so happy that Chanel listened to the customers and addressed this product's packaging. I can now give it the full five lippies overall, up from four. The new packaging is designed to resemble the original. But instead of being an oversized wide mouth foundation bottle, it is an elegant pump with lid. The pump is the kind that allows you to pump just a tiny bit, or an entire pump, or anything in between. I am very pleased to change my packaging rating from 1 to 5. The scent is still strong, but I like that it's the same one. I can only smell it during application, and it still doesn't seem to bother my skin. I like to mix it with my foundation directly, now that I have some control over the amount dispensed. You can also use it as a liquid highlighter.

Original review: Let me get this out of the way right up front - MOST RIDICULOUS PACKAGING EVER!!! Really, really, bad. A thin viscous liquid in a heavy glass bottle with wide mouth and a... spatula? For reals? Who dreamed this up and what were they smoking at the time? I am just astounded. I got a little travel bottle for toiletries and transferred it into that, which is still a bit clumsy but it will do until I find something in my stash to sacrifice that has a small pump.

Now, on to the product itself - I love it. Enough to overlook the packaging. I use it to lighten my foundation and it works so well. I just apply it a little heavily to my face and then apply the foundation right on top (before the Le Blanc dries) and it is perfect. The Le Blanc gives this wonderful luminous glow but without any sparklemagic. It makes me look naturally radiant. If applied very thinly it doesn't effect the foundation shade. It diffuses redness pretty well. It has a fairly strong fruity smell but I kinda like it and I can't smell it after it dries down. I apply it with a foundation brush so I can build up the coverage a little, but fingers work well for a sheer coat.

It's Chanel, so of course it is on the pricey side, but I will definitely buy again when I run out. (edit: I did!) I do hope that some marketing bot over at Chanel is compiling all these complaints about the package, though. (edit: hey, maybe so! *waves at Chanelbot* thank you!!) I'd give it 5 stars if it had a pump. (edit:and so, I have)

on 4/29/2013 2:24:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I waited a few weeks to write a review about this product, mostly because I just wasn't sure how to use it, how to make it work with my makeup, and how to get it to set properly. I tried a number of different ways, but in the end, none of them worked perfectly and I returned the product.

My overall reaction after waiting to write this is that this is too hard to use, too expensive, and too harsh for my sensitive skin. I've since returned it after noticing that my skin developed an allergic reaction in the form of tiny bumps all over my face.

The consistency is very thin and light. It blends easily into skin. Though it's white when you pour it out or spatula it out of the bottle, it doesn't leave an ashy film over the skin. I found the whiteness of it to even the redness and uneven tone of my skin overall. The finish was very oily, surprisingly. Out of all the ways I tried using this product, I found using a foundation brush to blend a very small amount all over my face before blending my foundation mixed with this product to have the most lasting results. It could also be used as a highlighter dabbed sparingly onto the cheek bones, down the nose, and above the lip. But as you've probably read in other reviews, the lack of a pump is extremely impractical! Usually the lack of a pump is a mere inconvenience when using a product for me personally; but with this, I found that the amount you use changes the finish of your makeup drastically. And the amount you take out of the bottle each day is impossible to measure accurately or consistently. A little goes a long way, and a lot of product is wasted without the pump.

I'm so disappointed this didn't work for me because I adored the 'lit from within' and 'glowy' look this product gave me. I even kept wearing it after noticing that my skin was having issues with it - hopeful that the fact that it was Chanel and pricey would mean that it would be a holy grail product. I was wrong. Don't let the label fool you.

I think the idea of a white liquid underneath or even mixed with foundation, or even as a highlighter, is an amazing idea - especially for very pale types like me. I plan on trying Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation in white to see if that will work better.

on 4/23/2013 6:51:00 AM

I have got a generous sample of this base from Sephora. While using it it was ok in the cold weather. Now when it is getting warm i have purchased the whole bottle of this Chanel base and have noticed that my face it getting greasy after 2-3 hours. Note: I was using my daily moisturise unter this base, and have covered it with Jane Iredale makeup base and Guerlain's Meteorites. Now i am using it over the naked face, i mean no moisturiser. Over the base i am using the same Jane Iredale makeup base, but no Meteorites, just my Dior blush and it is ok now. I am blotting my face after 4-5 hours and it is functioning perfectly. I don't think the product it worth to be repurchased, or probebly it would be a good possibility in winter when you would need a thicker consistency.

I have very dry skin and I am prone to breakouts. I found this product is the best primer I have ever used and does not feel 'chalky' like I find some other primers feel like once they are dry. Tis feels nice and dewy. HOWEVER, the bottle is a nightmare. It always ends up messy with product spilling over the lid etc which is annoying because it is a waste of such an expensive product. It also leaks when travelling. If it came in a squeeze tube it would be amazing. Maybe one day chanel will come to their senses and change the packaging!!!

on 4/6/2013 1:01:00 PM

This stuff works pretty well for forward what they say its supposed to do, BUT I've had better. Instead of going to the Chanel counter swing by the Lancôme counter and ask for La Base Pro .... you'll thank me later ;)

on 4/3/2013 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This base did nothing for me, made me look even paler then I usually do. My skin completely broke out too! It's overpriced and overrated and the packaging is a nightmare, it's really difficult to get the product out of the bottle. I was very disappointed as I had high hopes for Chanel, I usually love their products.

Popular Primer/ Correctors