Josie Maran Cosmetics 100% Pure Argan Oil

3.8

100% pure organic Argan Oil

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I loved this oil. This and the Argan milk saved my eczema this winter. My skin was dry, flakey, peeling and red everywhere but my t zones. I applied this every morning and night after the Arian milk and before my cream. Doesn't have a smell, is all natural, nice dark bottle but the price is outrageous. I understand it's naturally but my pockets think it can try some other oils

on 4/13/2015 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is very overpriced. I love Argan oil and rosehip seed and gave seen a huge improvement in my skin. I am 40 and started using them at 38 when I became serious shout my skin care.

I bought this about 5 months ago to try over my other brand which is much less money but the same thing. I heard it was better, cleaner, and higher quality Argan. It's nice but I see no difference, plus it's much much more money.

After I finish this smaller bottle I sm going back to the lesser brand. No need to spend 40 bucks on this when Argan oil organic and unrefined is around 20 for the same amount she is selling.

on 4/12/2015 1:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have to give this product credit for one thing and one thing only- it introduced me to Argan oil. I saw this product at Sephora and bought a small bottle to try (as it is very expensive, it was $17 for a half oz). I was pleased with the product, it goes on smoothly and is rapidly absorbed without making my oily skin feel oilier.

There is a science behind why argan oil is so great for skin. It seems counterproductive to put oil on oily skin, or oil on skin in general, but the truth is that is the only way you can truly moisturize your skin. Moisturizers that are water based cannot penetrate into your skin and are an illusion brought to you by the beauty industry. I personally have oily but dehydrated skin- my skin gets dehydrated with some products I use to combat the oiliness, causing the oil to pump out faster... a vicious cycle! After I wash with my cleanser that contains BHA and a BHA+ witch hazel toner I immediately put this on. My skin saw a reduction in break outs, a brightening of tone, and actual healing on scars and red marks left over from past pimples. I saw a slight reduction in my closed comedones. Slight. The oil penetrates the skin and makes it supple and happy.

By the way, *Argan oil and Moroccan oil ARE NOT THE SAME THING*. Argan oil is the pure extract, moroccan oil is a brand. Anything that is labelled 'moroccan oil' contains fillers, including waxes and silicones. This is great for hair, not so great for skin.

Now, the reason why I haven't given this a higher review is because there are better products out there. This product is insanely expensive for what it is. It is nicely refined and has a slight nutty smell... but its no different then many products.

I converted to MyChelle Dermaceuticals Advanced Argan Oil, a more affordable $20 purchase (for 1 oz) at my local Whole Foods (or $14.50 on Amazon.com). I use this exclusively on my face.

For my body (and face when I run out of MyChelle and get too lazy to buy more) I use Pura d'or 100% pure organic Argan oil. 4 oz of this cost $19.99 and it is AWESOME. (To buy 4 oz of Josie Moran argan oil it is $100 at Sephora. SCAM!!!) The only reason I don't use this on my face all the time is because it is a bit thicker then the MyChelle.

Hope that is helpful... you really don't need to spend so much to get an equal and sometimes better product!!!!!

I know that this review will likely do nothing to dissuade others from buying such a cult favorite. But take it from someone who takes their skin care products seriously-this product is a rip-off. Let's analyze this oil in terms of quality. A few things that distinguish a good argan oil from a bad one are the texture, odor, and price. Good argan oil is moisturizing, but never slippery, or "slimy." It is not odorless, but carries a light, nutty scent. Finally, it does not come cheap; sourced in Morocco, it takes time and effort to crush the fruit to get to the tiny, oil-containing kernel inside. As a result, finding quality argan for $5 an ounce is not a bargain, it's a scam. Sure, you're getting moisturizing properties with Josie's argan oil, but it's not the purest on the market. I definitely get that slicker feeling with this product, and it really does take a while to sink into your skin. Perhaps the only authentic feel about this product is the scent. (I detect a hint of nuttiness.) Finally, there's the exorbitant price of $48 for a full-size bottle. You'll see Josie Maran Cosmetics listed on sites such as PETA and The Leaping Bunny, as she does not test on animals. BUT, if you want to support the naturally occurring crops in Morocco that sustain the local women there, don't buy this. Hardly any of the sales from this product go to them. In fact, the only ethically fair traded Moroccan supplier in the world comes from Neal's Yard, a company that works closely with the largest argan oil crops in the world. The verdict? Although Josie Maran has successfully created a beloved, skin-nourishing oil that sells off the shelves of every Sephora in the world, it is not the best product if you're looking for quality and value. When I grab this off the shelf at a beauty counter, I don't feel like I'm purchasing a superior product, nor supporting the livelihood of hardworking women. I'm not bashing Josie, but I will say that after investing the time and money in trying out her product, I feel a little cheated.
Pros: Amber, glass bottle with a dropper. This protects the product from damaging light, and also prevents spillage. Smells nice.
Cons: Not the purest you can get for the money. Expensive, slimy, and little to no ethical impact with purchase.
Josie Maran's Argan Oil: (1.7 oz. for $48)
Neal's Yard: (1.69 oz. for $28.)

on 3/22/2015 8:21:00 PM

I don't really get the hype around this product. I have never had a problem with skin products irritating my skin, except for this one. The past couple of winters I've noticed my skin become considerably dryer, and my regular moisturizer was is longer sufficient. So I bought a small bottle of this, after seeing it hyped in several places. The woman at Sephora positively raved about it.
So I tried it for a couple of weeks, mixing in a few drops with my regular nighttime moisturizer, as well as trying to apply it separately. Didn't notice any difference in the level of moisture in my skin. It didn't feel greasy, I just didn't notice anything at all. It didn't seem to help in any capacity. After a week I realized I was waking up with red skin, as if I'd been burned or something, and sensitive to touch. Like I said, this has never happened to me before with any other product. I do not have sensitive skin.
I could only conclude I am either allergic to Argan oil, or this product is not working anywhere near as well as it claims. Even if it weren't for the redness, I noticed absolutely no increase in moisture in my skin.

on 3/6/2015 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a truly multi purpose product - I use it on my hair (after washing and towelling), mix 3-4 drops with body lotions for extra oomph, and layer it on top of my night cream for good moisturisation. The only drawback, and a major one, is the price - if I remembwr correctly, I bought a bottle from Sephora in Singapore for S$70 (!!). Granted, I've been using it for more than a year and I still have half left, but I think there are cheaper (but as good) alternatives out there.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Wonderful for dry, sensitive skin. My skin gets extremely dry and also breaks out easily and this has solved all of my skin issues. If you have been thinking about trying, you have to!

The oil is not too thick but moisturizes well. Soaks in quickly.

on 2/20/2015 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I love all argan oil, so it was no surprise when I loved this. I have severely dry, sensitive skin due to chronic medical conditions and am always looking for ways to help out my skin. This is awesome because it not only was a non-irritating hydrator for my skin, but also worked very well on my hair. I tend to use this on my skin at night under a moisturizer because on it's own it doesn't offer quite enough moisture (bear in mind I have extremely dry skin and most people can get away with just this). I use this on its own during the day. My favorite way to use this, though, is on my hair. It makes it so soft, shiny, and manageable. It's really a lovely oil (isn't all argan oil lovely?) and I recommend it fully.

on 2/9/2015 5:11:00 PM

This is not something I use every day. But I find it's a great addition to have on hand in my makeup bag. I use it for dry spots on my skin. I use it at times my hair seems especially dry. I use a few drops to tame fly-away hairs. I use it to moisturize my cuticles. Just a good thing to have on hand for the times I find I need it.

on 2/4/2015 6:10:00 PM

I really really love using argan oil in my skincare! I use this mostly for my face. I will add a drop of it to my liquid foundation to make a more satin/velvety finish to it. It use a drop as eye moisturizer instead of using expensive eye creams. I will pat this over my face when im feeling extra dry or add to my lotions for my body if I need extra moisturization there as well.

The only reason why I added I wouldnt buy again is because I wouldnt buy this specific brand again. Josie Maran's argan oil is extremely over priced. Sally Beauty now carries a 1oz oil for $9, physicians formula carries a 1oz oil for $15 and my local natural living store carries their own brand of argan oil, 2oz for $12...so there are many cheaper options than this, I suggest trying to find one of them instead of buying into this expensive brand!!!

Popular Moisturizers