April 16, 2014 | 1724 users online

Sunscreen - Chanel - UV Essentiel Protective UV Care Anti Pollution SPF 50

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2013 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Constantine22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Finally I found an oil free-matte sunscreen!!! The packaging is absolutely stunning and the fluid too!!! Feels good on oily skin!!!

UPDATE: Because of the alcohol that contains and because of the price too, i find out a way much better solution like La Roche Posay's Anthelios XL 50+...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR OILY-ACNE PRONE SKIN...Long Lasting Matte Effect!!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by chriseileen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is from a review on my Nordstrom.com account

I've used products with SPF in it and those products usually end up burning my eyes. I stopped using SPF infused moisturizers and decided to wear just plain moisturizer. I know how important SPF is for daily skin protection from the sun so I decided to do some research and dish out extra money for an effective expensive SPF.

The reviews on Nordstrom.com were highly rated and also on other beauty sites. I have been using this SPF by Chanel over my moisturizer and have not experienced burning of my eyes, or the "ghost" cast in photos.

This SPF's key ingredients include octinoxate, titanium dioxide, and zinc oxide ;vitamin E (antioxidant). These ingredients allow the user to put the SPF before or after moisturizer, whereas many other SPF key ingredients such as oxycinnamate require you to put it before moisturizer, to allow it to be absorbed by the skin, and also gives the ghastly cast in photographs.

I've read some reviews where they say Chanel's SPF is scent-free, even the lady working at the Chanel counter said the same thing, however; this SPF most definitely has a scent, very floral-like, but it dissipates after a few minutes.

I would recommend this product for people who wouldn't mind putting SPF before/after their moisturizer, who have problems with most SPF's burning their eyes, and those who do not want the ghastly cast in photographs.

I do not recommend this product for those on a tight budget, or I would recommend saving up for this product.

And I want to make those interested in this product aware that the size of the bottle is surprisingly small, almost surprising for the whopping $50. I know the amount of product is listed on the Chanel site, but still, quite surprising.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2013 12:57:00 PM More reviews by blackmath

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my absolute favourite sun cream, and I've tried them all.
I have incredibly fair, sensitive skin and this has never caused breakouts. The formula dries quickly, leaves only a minimal white cast, and layers beautifully under foundation. I've yet to be sunburned while wearing this!
The only downside is it's not a great value. You get quite a small quantity for your , and I find myself having to repurchase frequently.
A definite splurge, but a must-have -- when I can afford it.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2012 5:08:00 AM More reviews by kayohh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros:
- high SPF
- nice, subtle fragrance
- light-weighted, but not matte like the other Japanese sunscreen

Cons:
- expensive -- I think other milky sunscreen can be as good as this.
- doesn't seem to be waterproof

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2012 2:37:00 PM More reviews by eulaliee

I don't generally love this product, but I like it. I like the smell, the packaging, and the way it feels on my face after I applied it. It's not greasy nor is it heavy. It's very light-weight and goes on smooth.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2012 3:44:00 PM More reviews by Eteri

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was interested to read that many people find they have to use quite a lot of this. I find a blob on my finger about 3/8in diameter sufficient.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2012 6:37:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

I am currently using samples that I bought off eBay. This is definitely not greasy, though not as matte as the Japanese sunscreens. It does leave a teeny bit of a white cast on my dark skin, but some of that that absorbs after a short while and leaves a nice glow. If you apply generously (which you should), a little bit of a white cast does remain.

It's quite pricey but I would pay any price for a sunscreen that does it's job and doesn't break me out. Usually pricey products can be used sparingly, but you do need 5-6 drops of this to spread all over your face. I only use it on my cheeks and chin where I break out more, and use cheaper Japanese sunscreens on my forehead and nose.

It doesn't seem to clog pores but my skin has become a bit bumpy since I started using it, though that could be due to that time of month. I'm going to finish my two samples and see if I want to buy again.

Update: I was so happy after finishing my first sample that I have ordered a full-size. This is really really great for me as I have the greasiest skin ever and live in the most humid climate. The bumpiness I experienced earlier was shortlived and my skin is quite smooth after using for about 2 weeks.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/5/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by elliotx

I was very happy with this. It's a shake-up with alcohol, but somehow leaves your skin moisturized and not in a greasy way. The finish really is great AND it's zinc oxide base with bonus antioxidants.
I can't give 5 lippies though because I feel it's overpriced. Like we're being gauged for the name Chanel. And I can't overlook the high alcohol content either.
I purchased some Obagi Nuderm on Amazon for $20 and have no complaints. I'm not against repurchasing UV Essential, but I don't see a real need to.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2012 11:20:00 AM More reviews by chaudhrk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE this sunscreen! My only wish is that it were waterproof! I am so spoiled to this now that I just can't go back to the nasty sunscreens that clog me up and make me oily/greasy at the pool! I have very fair skin and I apply liberally and have never noticed a white color at all... maybe Im just that white??? It does make a great moisturizer before makeup and has the full spectrum of protection- I will continue to purchase - and be on the look out for a waterproof that can meet the mark of this one!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by cindy007

This sunscreen contains micronized zinc oxide, which is a full spectrum suncreen. It protects against all UVA and all UVB rays. As well, the physical sunsceen zinc oxide does not break down when exposed to the sun, like chemical sunscreens will. This sunsceen has managed to find a way to use this ingredient without giving the face a white mask like appearance. It is a superior product. I must also add that it has not broken out my face in any way or irritated it. Smells very soft.

The suncreen does have a chemical sunsceen in it also, which I forget the name, but it has a very high level (17% i think) of the zinc. It has a light texture and does absorb easily.

The only thing I will say is that you do have to use a lot of this product. Do not believe the sales people in the store who say only a drop is needed. Now does that make any sense when every article in the world says to load up the sunscreen like you're icing a cupcake. So load this stuff on! I would give it a little time to dry before you apply makeup over it or powder.

On the downside, it does give a teeennyy bit of a white cast to the skin, but much better than any other zinc oxide product i have tried.

Of course, you have to put it on more than once a day, just like any other suncreen.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No