Biotin (All brands)

3.5

I started taking biotin supplements and immediately noticed that my skin was covered in acne. I normally get a few spots a month but I woke up one morning with 20+ spots. I didn't connect it to the biotin at first because here I though these it would improve my skin and hair. I googled biotin and acne and saw that I wasn't alone. It's definitely not worth it to have nicer hair. Oh and I did drink plenty of water with the biotin and this still happened.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I started taking a local brand of vegan friendly Biotin 5000mcg a few days ago. It's basically a powder that's been dispensed into a clear capsule. Anyways I don't usually experience negative reactions to supplements. However within a few minutes, my tummy started cramping and my heart started beating really fast to the point where I felt a bit faint. Both symptoms disappeared after about 3 hours. The next day, my face felt weird like I was due for a major acne attack. Luckily it never happened. This all despite me guzzling tons of water all day. So I decided to lay off the biotin for a few days and checked the net and lo and behold, it appears that all my symptoms are negative reactions to the biotin. Now its either that my body hates biotin or maybe the dosage is just too high. I've decided to go with the latter. Instead of turfing my capsules in the bin, I now take a capsule, separate it and carefully release at least half of the powder into a glass of water which I drink. It has no after taste and dissolves easily. I then re-close the capsules with the remaining powder and then place them back in the bottle until I need them for the next day. Thus far, no tummy cramps or crazy heart palpitations. I'm waiting to see if I get acne and I'll update you on that in a few weeks. If I do, I'll just lessen the dosage further. However biotin is very beneficial and if you want to use it go for a tolerable dosage that your body can handle. Don't be sucked into taking high doses unless your body can tolerate it. Rather take medium to slighly high doses and get results over a longer period of time than extremely high doses and get the shock of your life. Hope this helps all you ladies who are interested in taking biotin!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

BACKSTORY ON MY HAIR - I'm fairly young, in my late teens, so my hair should be plenty healthy, thick and look good. Also considering my hair was really thick and long not too many years ago. And don't get me wrong, my hair looks absolutely fine, however recently I've noticed a lot of thinning. Especially after my first and last box dye experience. I believe with the chemical damage and my personal stress (take note I tend to have stress problems and my immune system is comprised as a result), my hair is reacting in a more negative way than I'd like. And now my hair is medium-fine in texture. REVIEW STARTS HERE - Obviously if you're trying to grow your hair out or thicken it up, you did the research and found Biotin. People generally take 5,000 mg for hair growth (5,000 mg is trend I've noticed but people take as much as 10,000 mg to 300 mg or lower). Although adults only NEED about 30 mg of Biotin, but people find packing the dosage gives amazing hair results. And it can, there's not much of an argument there. People generally get good hair results from biotin. Some don't notice a difference and it's not much of a loss. However my experience with Biotin was not as positive as I'd like and also the same experience many people, if not most have had with Biotin in relation to their skin. I really wanted Biotin to work for me and I took it on and off for about 2 months in different dosages. I took 5,000 mg for a couple weeks. And initially all was good! I hadn't noticed a huge difference (but if you are taking biotin, understand that it takes patience and time). However, a week or two pass and my skin is breaking out worse than it ever has. My skin doesn't look horrific but the pain from the cystic acne that Biotin left me with is just so disappointing. My face feels dried up in certain areas and the cystic acne is painful and doesn't look very nice. If you have acne prone skin I would stay away because I promise you might be curious now about its affect on your hair, but later you'll wish you hadn't been. If you do take Biotin, remember drink a lot of water! It helps! And if you're going the safe route (the one I should've taken), just buy some good simple shampoos without a lot of chemicals, or preferably some organic ones. Get a good deep conditioner and leave in conditioner. Braid your hair often, and when you sleep. Wash your hair as little as you feel comfortable with. Get some fish oil supplements. And drink water and stay healthy! You'll see results the natural way :)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I am taking the 10,000 mcg and noticing no change at all in my hair or nails. This may be due to menopause. I used Biotin when I was younger and it did seem to help my nails at least. Will keep taking (and hoping). My hair is dry and color-treated and my nails which were awesome once upon a time are peeling and one fingernail keeps splitting down the middle. Can't expect a miracle in a bottle at my age (57).

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've been taking biotin for 3 weeks, taking two 1,000 mg pills every other day (not for any reason. I forget to take it a lot.). I decided to take it because my nails were so weak i could peel pieces off very easily. A few days ago it hit me just how well it was working. My nails are already stronger and theyve got a nice shine to them! But the biggest difference is my hair! I have frizzy, tangly, weak, curly hair. It had been falling out or breaking easily for awhile and I was trying to solve the problem with products. Biotin was the product that pleasantly surprised me. My hair is still tangly but its also shiny and way less frizzy. It also breaks way less often. Thirdly, my skin. It also has a nice shine/glow now, though my acne and other skin problems are still around. Its not a miracle pill but it will pleasantly surprise you!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Warning....DO NOT take this stuff if you are already acne prone. I decided to try Biotin at 500mcg because I wanted to grow my hair out and read that it would help it grow faster. While that may be true, what they don't tell you is that if you are already acne prone it will clog every single pore with gunk from the inside out. Seriously - I ended up with cystic acne with hard white cores in them that needed to be extracted by my derm. One of them even made a tiny icepick scar. I had sebaceous filaments sticking out of my chin to the point where they were above the surface of the skin and excess sebum literally oozing out of my pores.

I am only giving this two stars because it did make my hair grow. However, who cares if you have long hair if your skin is a mess....never again.

I honestly don't know if taking double the amount most people take (5,000g) of biotin is safe but I do it and I've had amazing results. My skin cleared and my hair has grown more that usual in just the past month. I haven't noticed a big difference in my nails but I'll continue to take biotin and see what happens. Everyday I wake up and look forward to breakfast so that I can take my biotin. It is seriously the most amazing thing for my hair and skin.

This review is for the Alive gummies which have biotin in them.I've taking these for about 2 months and they are awesome for hair growth I actually had to start taking one every other day because my hair was growing so quickly. I do see a difference in my nails too but not as much as my hair.If your hair grows slow,try these!

I was skeptical about taking biotin it just seemed too good to be true. I was also worried because I have acne prone skin and everyone was saying it broke them out. I wanted to take biotin for hair growth because I got a hair cut that was very short and I didn't like it. I love biotin! I have been taking it about 1 month now and have noticed a huge difference in many things. With my hair I have noticed about 1 inch of new growth since my hair cut. I do have to say my hair does grow extremely fast on its own and that could also be why. I have also noticed that my "fly aways" or frizz in my hair is growing into a normal long hair! I am super happy about that! The biggest difference I have noticed is in my skin believe it or not. Everyone is saying that they broke out from this....my skin cleared up! I have been battling adult acne for years and have used a few products that helped but this litterally just made it go away. I am shocked I expected a crazy breakout from other reviews. I am also taking the biotin with fish oil and I drink 3 liters of water a day. I have noticed a massive difference in my nails also my nails are growing like a weed and are strong and aren't peeling like they used to! I am very impressed with this product. to review I'm taking: biotin 5000 mcg- vegan capsule from a health food store. fish oil 500 mg 3 liters (at least) of water a day but I'm 5 foot 10 inches if you're short you could do like 2 liters.

Really really helped with my hair growth and nail strength. Always take with a meal

Popular Treatments