Biotin (All brands)

3.5

on 2/11/2015 6:19:00 PM

Be careful ........ Taking this supplement made me get Hyperkalemia. (high potassium) Hyperkalemia can cause heart attacks. I'd advise doing your research and getting your blood checked after using it for sometime. I only used it for a month or two so I did not see a change in my hair or skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've been taking 5,000 mcg biotin for a little under a month now as I've been trying to grow my hair to mid back length for a while now, and for the longest time my hair has been at armpit length.I started taking this vitamin in hopes of fast-growing hair. I take one pill in the morning before breakfast. I must say that since I've started taking it, my hair has gotten a lot thicker than it normally is! My hair actually feels a lot heavier on my head now. I noticed that I already have a small halo of baby hairs coming out of my parting since I've started taking it! I think my hair has already grown about 3/4 of an inch since I started taking it about 20 days ago, my hair normally grows about half an inch per month.

I tried using this once when I was 13-14 and it gave me acne, but now that I'm 18 and I'm trying it, I haven't noticed any problems yet. That is something to look out for though if you are acne prone. Also it makes all the hair on your body grow faster, I have to shave more often since I have started using it. The plus side is I don't get ingrown hairs as easily! Also my eyelashes have grown in and they look great! They used to look so sparse.

My nails used to constantly break and would never get long! Recently they've been getting so strong and are finally growing out!

I'll update in about a month or so and tell you guys how things progress! So far I'm very happy, my hair has always had issues growing out for some reason and this may finally give me the long hair I've always wanted! I'm crossing my fingers here!

EDIT 2/1/15: I just noticed that my hair finally reaches my bra strap when straight! I feel like I can officially consider my hair "long" for the first time in my life! Even when my hair is curly, it just looks so long! This is the longest my hair has ever been, I'm so excited! I came back home from college after a month, and everybody was noting how long my hair had gotten! My hair always grew extremely slow, this is amazing growth! Now I would love to get my hair to the middle of my back, but for now I'm very happy! About 3-4 inches until I'm at mid-back length, I'll update later if it gets to that length.

on 1/19/2015 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

Not sure if it works.. my hair grows pretty fast and i lose a reasonable amount in the shower which i attribute to hair shedding. Not sure if it was the biotin that did it, but i dont see a reason to stop taking it.

on 1/13/2015 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I took biotin for 2 months. I would take one 1000mcg tablet 3x per day (one with each meal). I have adult hormonal acne, and biotin did not affect my skin. I didn't notice any immediate results, so I stopped taking it. About 2 1/2 - 3 months later, I noticed my fingernails were growing longer and thicker. I used to have thin nails that split/cracked easily. Now they are beautiful. I will definitely start taking the biotin again because it helps my fingernails A LOT!

on 12/30/2014 10:05:00 PM

I used several brands, thinking maybe the brand wasn't that great. I was wrong. Biotin and me just don't mix well.

First, I experienced triple the breakouts. I already have acne prone skin so you can imagine having that tripled. HORRIBLE! I decided to wait thinking it'll get better. I read online that you're supposed to drink a ton of water to not break out. I drank a ton of water, but was still breaking out. After a month or two, my breakouts were not as bad but still. As someone who already had acne, having more acne (even if its just a few) is a huge deal to me.

To make things worse, my hair, nails, and skin, did not improve. Everything was pretty much the exact same.

I'd say try it, it may work for you!

on 12/30/2014 10:40:00 AM

I am currently taking Biotin both in a Hair/Nail gummy vitamin and in a Women's Multi-vitamin gummy. So I guess you could say I am getting a double-dose. I am also currently taking Ovega (vegetarian Omega supplement), a vegetarian gentle Iron supplement, Reserveage collagen, and flax capsules. This is all to help my poor hair that was dramatically damaged by a salon owner back in April. I think my vitamin regime is helping, but obviously I can't say WHICH part of it is helping. I can say, I am extremely acne prone and have been for over 20 years, and the biotin in these gummy vitamins is NOT breaking me out. My hair is definitely in better condition, but it has taken a long while. It is longer, thicker, sheds slightly less, and overall looks healthier and less frizzy/ damaged. I also drink a ton of water plus protein shakes twice a day. I've also almost completely eliminated heat styling, spend a fortune on different shampoos and conditioners, and wash my hair only every other day. I'm doing everything I can to nurse my hair back to health, but in the end, I think TIME is what is going to heal it most. I plan to continue taking my biotin and other supplements, because I certainly don't think they are hurting anything, but in the end, I think it's just time that will improve my hair.

on 12/30/2014 9:33:00 AM

I've been taking biotin for two months now (1.000 mcg capsules by solgar). First I started with one capsule a day (i was afraid of acne breakouts) and after three weeks with no ugly sideffects I doubled the dose. I can see big difference in my hair structure. it used to be extremly thin and now it is basically doubled in volume. It also grows fasetr than usual, but my main goal was the volume, not the length so i don't pay much attention to it :)
Everybody notices how my hair is shiny and looking very healthy. I will definitely continue to use the capsules, and i will boost my dosage to 3.000 mcg a day.
I believe your drastic breakouts occure because you take too high doses and basically shock your skin. Start slowly and work your way up to the satisfactory dose.
You still get your results with lower dosages, it just takes a bit more time (but worth it, since your skin does not go zombie style).

on 12/22/2014 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

No change in my hair.

on 11/11/2014 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Biotin gave me the breakout from hell, and no change with my hair. Use with caution.

on 11/8/2014 6:44:00 PM

I use the 10,000mcg Biotin capsules, and I do see a difference in my hair, eyelashes, and eyebrows. I'm prone to breakouts, with combination skin, and have had no breakouts since starting this vitamin.

Popular Treatments