October 24, 2014 | 917 users online

Hair Color - Colorful - Neutral Protein Filler

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2013 7:01:00 PM More reviews by gtabbie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm thrilled with this filler! Wish I'd found it years ago.

I have baby fine, light blond hair (level 8 or 9). I usually have a mix of natural highlights in summer and bleached highlights in winter. I recently added bangs which messed with my highlight pattern, and led to a weird patchy mix of shades - brassy in spots and platinum in others.

I'd tried toning before with Wella T10 (Ivory Lady), 10 vol developer for 10 mins. The color was terrible, purple/grey at the ends and highlights and unchanged at the brassier roots. Luckily it washed out quickly. I found this protein filler mentioned on the hair board and decided to try the same toner again with the filler.

I applied the filler as per the label (20 mins), then toned the same way as before. The results were PERFECT! No purple/grey tinge in the more porous spots, and the parts that didn't take color last time took it this time. Even color, brassiness gone, and exactly what I needed.

This stuff rocks. Next I'm going to try it as a hair treatment. Although not more than once a month as I understand too much protein can be damaging.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 6:24:00 PM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this not for dyeing hair as it's intended, but rather as a cheap and highly effective protein treatment.

My hair really craves protein, the more the better as far as it's concerned. So I like to do a daily treatment combined with a biweekly deeper treatment...I use this as my deep treatment. Out of the smaller bottle, I was able to get four treatments by diluting portions of it with water just before use. I wash my hair with shampoo, and then turn off the tap and work this through my hair. I leave it in and let it air dry until it gets crunchy, and then wash it out and follow up with a nice conditioner. This keeps my hair in fantastic condition, and somehow brings out the natural waves in my hair. For such a low price, you really can't beat this as a protein treatment.

EDIT: I've discovered other ways to use this. I now mix a bit of it into my regular conditioner for daily protein boosts, and I also like to make a leave in conditioner with a smidge of this as well. Obviously, don't use all at once unless you're looking for protein overload, but this product is really insanely versatile for those who have protein loving hair.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by Mhernandez102311

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I like to change my hair color all the time I any stay with one! Lol so I decided to do the most stupidest thing and bleach my hair by myself and the ending results that I got was three different colors on my hair and to top it off I damaged it horribly!! :/ so then I decided to leave it alone for three weeks!! I was walking around for three weeks with my hair different colors and all messed up!! Ah!! So I decided to do my research and find how I can fix this myself with out making it worse! I found this and L'oreal hi light hair dye! I bought the hair dye and the protein filler and had it stored for 5 days because I was so nervous and scared to go ahead and do it lol I then got the strength and decided to fix my hair. Btw my hair before was black and after bleaching it turned to a red brown mixed with some yellow and some black left. So I put on the protein filler first for the 20 minutes and I didn't use a spray bottle even though it was pretty messy I still did it like that and I ha rinsed my hair before putting the filler in. After the 20 minutes was done I grabbed my hair dye and mixed it put it on my roots first because of the misfortune I had and then I did the rest of my hair. Afterwards once I left my hair process the time I had to leave it process I washed it and yes it leaves your hair kind off dry so you always want to follow it with a intensive hair mask. I put on the Lea Journo hair mask for 5 minutes and then rinsed! And omg my hair is so silky smooth and shiny!!! :)) and it's not dry at all anymore!! Of course I got hot roots but it's what I should have been expecting because of my uneven bleach! But this saved me because at least my hair looks even out now!! :) which it's a big plus!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by haynmama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been dying my hair w/loreal hicolor hilights & while I love the vibrant color, I do not love the unevenness. So, I heard about this stuff from YouTube. I picked up a bottle of the red red. I didn't shampoo my hair, but sort of conditioner washed it. Left my hair in a towel for about 10min & then I emptied 1/2 the bottle into a spray bottle (my hair is about mid-back length w/layers). I completely saturated my hair & combed it through. Use gloves if you're using the colored one & a junk towel, etc. I didn't really have any excess to blot but I let it sit for 20min. I then applied my hair color while my hair is damp from this stuff. Tada! Even hair color & healthy hair! I'm using this stuff every time I color my hair. It's so cheap ($3) & it's enough for 2 applications. I agree, that the packaging sucks. It would make more sense to sell it in a spray bottle but oh well. <3

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by dawsonsed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

First time reviewer here, moved to review because this stuff saved my hair! If you color your hair at home, you MUST get this. I researched everything to avoid hot roots, and this is the trick. I'd colored my hair brown (it's naturally dark ash blonde), and wanted to change it back. After using L'oreal's color fix and dyeing it with Revlon's Colorsilk dark ash blonde, it was still a bit dry and brassy, and continued getting brassier and lighter as I washed my hair. I waited three weeks, bought John Frieda's dark pearl ash blonde, and went for it to see if I could get back to my natural color. After washing my hair, (but no conditioner), I used half the bottle on my damp hair (and the other reviewers are correct - get a spray bottle, otherwise, it's very messy), waited twenty minutes, towel dried, then used the foam color. It's much easier to apply the foam color to wet hair, and you use far less, but it seemed to spread similarly to when I use the whole bottle. My hair turned out fabulous - soft, shiny, and evenly colored in the EXACT same color as the box, from root to tip. No hot roots, no fake looking brass - just my own color (slightly darker) back to normal. Thank you reviewers on MakeupAlley for your tips on this product - it's incredible! I feel like I'm back to the virgin, undyed hair I had a few months ago before I got the coloring itch :).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by Dlou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Received this and immediately used it--I have baby fine hair that I've been putting through the wringer this summer. Highlighted it, then did it again. . .then dyed it a couple of times, then did some spray in streaks. I don't know why I was being such a lunatic. And I ended up with hair that glowed orange in the sunlight. Quel Drag. So I bought this stuff and some medium ash blonde Color Charm dye (7A) mixed with a dash of Nice N Easy 116 light golden brown + 20 developer, and colored my hair last night.

It is a nuisance that you have to put the filler in your own spray bottle, but I did it and saturated my hair, sat for 20 minutes, then dyed it. And it does look really good! No more orange, a nice light golden brown, and my hair feels surprisingly healthy. I do think that using the filler means the dye turns out darker, and color charm comes up dark any way, but I'm ok with my hair this color as long as the dreaded electric carrot look is gone. It really is a surprise and relief to feel that my hair is less damaged and porous after dying, and I will use this stuff again. It felt dry after, but I put on some intensive conditioner and just left it in--my hair loved it. I would give this filler a 5 rating, but the packaging was annoying and the price (with shipping, from Sally's) too high.
Sally's--you need to open a branch in Manhattan!!! C'mon!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Xelos

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have fine easily damaged naturally blonde hair. It also has an annoying tendency to get brassy unless I allow the color to properly develop for the proper amount of time--something my fragile, Scandinavian hair does not often tolerate well. I have found this product to be a major breakthrough for me in this battle!

I have noticed other reviewers here expecting this product to directly take care of brassiness, and while it does not take care of that issue, it does allow users to keep color products on the hair long enough to process properly and prevent brassiness and/or prevent show-through grays. Actually I am guessing on that second part, as I do not yet have any grays--the one up side to having super fine ash blonde hair is that we tend to go gray very late in life if ever.

My only wish is that they would make this product in a spray or mousse form, which would save the trouble of having to put it into a spray bottle myself. For that reason it gets a 1 on packaging.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/7/2013 12:03:00 PM More reviews by earl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think I had an allergic reaction to this even though I've been coloring my hair for 25 yrs. my lips got real tingly and I hurried and removed and took benedry. but, anywho, its a good thing I removed early because it dried my hair out pretty bad.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by SHOESLAVE

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I always use this before coloring my hair. I think it gives me a more uniform color especially on the lower part of my hair (for reference, I have med brown hair below my shoulders). When coloring your hair a dark color, the color takes more so to the lower part of the hair coming out darker than the rest due to porosity. I find this seems to alleviate that problem, although, this did not prevent hot roots for me. I think preventing hot roots is more so w/the color, developer and timing it right than anything else. Also, a reviewer on here complained this did not help cover her gray. I don't think this product is meant to do that. There are other products that do that. Will continue to use this and recommend it!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2012 9:01:00 PM More reviews by littlehousebigvacation

I think Makeupjunkie35 explains hot to use and all the benefits of this product. I followed her instructions and had great results. I will repurchase this again and will probably stock up.

I've been suffering from "hot roots" for awhile. Doesn't seem to matter if I get a salon dye job or home dye job.

After using this and then applying the dye, I have very even color from roots. I could not be happier with the results.

If the "hot roots" make an appearance, I'll edit this and update my review.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No