July 23, 2014 | 1908 users online

Deodorants - Baking Soda & Corn Starch

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 4/27/2013 1:39:00 AM More reviews by lemonz4us

Not for me, sorry to be the lone dissenter here.
I mixed this up with 1/4 a cup of baking soda, 1 cup of corn starch and 1/2 cup of coconut oil.
This stuff is hella sticky! mixing it is kind of a pain.
In its defense, i don't smell, i just smell like coconuts, though my armpits are kind of wet.
What i don't like about this, and why i'm giving it a bad review, is because it leave a white powdery residue in my armpits and gets caught and stuck in my armpit hair (i'm male)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2013 6:53:00 PM More reviews by countrygyrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I honestly cannot believe this works. For years , and I mean about 30, I have been looking for a deoderant that actually works. I think I am smelly and I have tried every deoderant on the grocery store shelves. The only one that works for me is Certain-Dry but it is expensive and can irritate. Most other deoderants work for a while (like 2 weeks) then I need to change up. For the past year or so I just buy Suave because its cheap and with coupons I get it for like 40 cents. I just deal with having to apply it twice a day and maybe more in the summer. On a whim and after alot of research about going "natural". I tried this. I cannot believe it. It is now 8+ hours into my day and I am totally dry and I smell NOTHING, 100% nothing. By now (and usually before now) any other deoderant I have EVER used I would smell something (usually the deoderant with a undertone of stink. Sorry if its TMI) That brings me to another pet peeve of mine, I don't really want to smell my deoderant, but most deoderants are highly scented. If I want to smell good I wear perfume, because I like the way that smells, not my deoderant.. Anyway, on a trail basis I mixed 2 teaspoons of cornstarch and 1 teaspoon of baking soda together. I placed the mix in a ornate, antique, ceramic jar that was my grandmothers so it looked pretty on my vanity. I applied it rather heavily to my still damp armpits, with an old dense eco- tools blush brush I don't use, directly out of the shower. Ok, it is a bit messy, there was powder everywhere and I had a bit of transfer on my shirt when I dressed. But, it wiped right of my shirt with a damp cloth, unlike traditional deoderant. It may be only 1/2 a day but I am soooo impressed. I swear I am never ever going back to regular deoderant, and if I get irritation after a week or so as some have claimed I will simply up the cornstarch till I find a happy medium. Love this stuff and it costs like pennies!
UPDATE- after a few weeks of getting accustomed to this (I did have some itching and irritation after 3-4 days but it went away within a week) I now mix this 50/50 - 50% baking soda with 50%Johnson and Johnson cornstarch baby powder in the lavender scent and actually apply with my finger tips. PERFECT!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by happymerlot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

It actually, honest to goodness works like nothing else has for me.

Following advice from other reviewers, I mixed 3 parts cornstarch to 1 part baking soda, and smooshed in unrefined virgin coconut oil until it was a thick paste. Massaged a thin, but thorough, coating to my entire underarm area after a shower.

Superior odor control: you start out smelling a bit like coconut, and then when that wears off, nothing! Amazing. And it even seems to keep me about as dry as my old Dove sensitive skin antiperspirant, but without the eventual sour smell and irritation. Plus, my underarms feel really well conditioned, and not tacky or dry like I experienced with the Crystal. (Don't get me wrong, the Crystal is a great product too, just didn't work for me).

Increase the ratio of cornstarch to baking soda if you get irritation, or reduce it if the odor protection isn't strong enough. I transferred the mixture to a little container from Human Gear (but it doesn't really matter what you use) so it would fit better in the cabinet. I've read you can substitute arrowroot starch in place of cornstarch, which I'm guessing would work just as well if you're allergic to corn.

Update: I still like this deodorant, but as a complement to Dove sensitive unscented. Since I usually shower at night, I use this coconut oil based deodorant after showering at night, and then in the morning use the Dove unscented. This lasts all day and keeps my underarms happy!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 10:39:00 PM More reviews by Xiaored

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been dealing with a lot of hormone changes in the last few years. I have always had a hard time finding a deodorant that worked for me. I have been leaning towards natural products recently just because I have been amazed at what they can do. So here we go,

Pros:
cheap
odorless
easy application
results

Cons:
rash can occur (keep reading)
messy

I tried this on a whim...on a work day... when I had an interview. I am sure that could have been a horrible idea, but instead it has made me a true believer. I tried mixing the BS and corn starch with olive oil the first day. Turns out that works, but I found it pointless. I started applying the powder mixture with a kabuki brush. This works like a charm. I do not have any odor and the wetness it kept at bay with the dry powder. Now on to the rash. The first week I got a rash. I read some other reviews that said to reduce the amount of BS. That did the trick. For me I am at a 2:1 ratio, 2 corn starch and 1 BS place in a glass bowl with lid and shake. I apply this directly after I shower with Lush Buffy (helps to make it stick). Best deodorant I have ever used. All 5 lippies are deserved.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/4/2012 9:08:00 PM More reviews by missmelodyskye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think the combo of baking soda and cornstarch is a great deodorant (actually the best odor-fighting one I've ever used) but I gave it a 3 because the baking soda gives me an awful rash so I had to stop using it. I used to mix my batches with BS, corn starch, coconut oil, vitamin E oil, and a couple drops of tea tree oil. Even with the vitamin E oil and using shea butter or vitamin E oil to moisturize my armpits at night after my shower, I still would get an awful rash. The rash would get even worse during hot summer months when I'd sweat a lot. This combo also gives nearly no wetness protection, so if you sweat a lot, that may become embarrassing. I also notice that this ruined a few garments of mine because the oils would staind my clothes.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2012 5:59:00 PM More reviews by LadyClaudia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This homemade deodorant is better than any deodorant I've bought from the store. It keeps me dry and fresh for the whole day, which is a big deal to me. It also doesn't leave any gross residue on my shirt! I just mix one part baking soda to one part cornstarch. I'm glad I tried this. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2012 11:30:00 PM More reviews by kgeaux

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I live in hot and humid Louisiana, so keeping dry and stink free is a really important issue! There are plenty of products on the market that work, at least for a time, but I am trying to go "natural" in as many areas as I can. I began making my own deodorant about a year ago, and have tweaked my recipe to make the end product as effective and skin friendly as possible. Mixing equal amounts of cornstarch, baking soda and coconut oil worked well as far as controlling sweating and odor, but caused rashes that became painful.

For me, what works best is to mix about a cup of cornstarch with a fourth cup of baking soda and half a cup of coconut oil. This concoction keeps me dry, odor free, and does not irritate my skin at all. A very small amount applied after a shower will be effective for an entire day and night!

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2012 5:06:00 PM More reviews by peace871

The best thing is that you'll never smell all day! And even if you already smell, put it on and soon you won't stink!

Works much better than all store deodorants

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2012 9:33:00 PM More reviews by 01system

BAKING SODA + CORN STARCH LIGHTENS HAIR- REALLY!! I found this out(by mistake) after originally using this mix(sometimes with coconut oil for a creamy consistancy) as a natural underarm deodorant which by the way also works great! The ratio is 1/2 baking soda + 1/4 corn starch, plus coconut oil to a cream consistancy. I have dark-brown to black underarm hair. After two weeks daily use, I noticed the hair becoming LIGHTER! To be sure the HEAT generated in the underarm area also contributes to the process- so you would probally have to apply some heat/warmth to your hair & scalp area for the same effect on your hair(covering head with a shower cap & towel overnight & blow drying next day). Just had to share this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2011 7:08:00 PM More reviews by snoopy68

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

OMG!!! I made up a fresh batch of this: Arm&Hammer baking soda, cornstarch, and 100% unrefined, organic coconut oil - Equal amounts of cornstarch/coconut oil & a little less baking soda (read the posts about underarm rash). I put this in a small plastic bowl with a lid and I'm here to say that this after 1 week has been the best deodorant I have ever used. All the natural deodorants I have used work to some degree. No odor whatsoever. I honestly can say that I haven't even perspired under the armpit area. I simply use my fingers to smooth the concoction under my armpit area right after a shower and this really, really works! Incredible!!! As long as I do not develop a rash (as I've experienced with the crystal deodorants in the past) I will never use anything else! Cheap, easy to make, effective, all natural - WOW!