August 1, 2014 | 1750 users online

Hair - Great Lengths Hair Extensions

rated 1 of 5 on 5/25/2012 9:36:00 AM More reviews by tequilaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Bad bad bad.. I got them put in in January and was told if I took good care of them they could last 5 months or even more. Well most of the bonds did stay in my hair until I removed them but they did NOT stay looking great at all even with using the GL brush, salon products, etc.
After 1 month they looked like ratty strings which looked really hideous with my shorter thicker hair. By the second month they started to matt really badly even with constant brushing & good care. I seriously regret spending OVER $1000.. Overall the extensions lost a lot of their thickness and the quality deteriorated a lot very quickly. I do not recommend and I wouldnt try any type of fusion extensions again as they are not for long term wear and are too damaging.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/11/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by Sunny01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just got my great lengths hair taken out yesterday and I'm in shock.. my hair is 5 inches shorter and thinner than when i started this process its broken off and pretty much ruined. I refuse to go in public it's that bad. I even had an appointment tomorrow to get them put back in but had to cancel in fear of next removal i will have NO HAIR! Here's the story. My friend and i both got Great Lengths extensions put in from a certified Great Lengths salon. We both have light blond hair, fine hair.. mine being to ALMOST half way down my back.. I got them put in.. no problem.. went back for some normal maintenance to get a few more put in.. some trim ups etc. I had them taken out yesterday and i saw them sliding off and the girl was being very very careful with the whole process (taking them out, getting extra glue out and getting knots out) so i know it wasn't her fault I'm missing all this hair. Both me and my friend's (her's only missing 2 inches but her hair being shorter than mine when we started) hair being totally destroyed. I would not recommend this at all! If you have fine hair with a little damage from bleaching or over heating this will kill your hair! I joined this site to hopefully at least help one person in making the horrible decision i made..My normal hair stylist said that they were on too long (being 6 months) and that the glue cut off nutrients to my end of my hair so it pretty much died and broke off. I'm mentally sick over paying $1,500 and now being left with no hair and this horrible problem to deal with! PLEASE BEWARE!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by ascrits

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

First, I have fine wavy hair. Second, the length of my hair when I had my first full set of Great Length Extensions put in was about shoulder blade length. I had always wanted to try extensions for thickness and length, so I researched what would be the best ones on the market. That brought me to Great Lengths. I found a studio in Barrington, IL that has a good reputation. First ones were put in Nov 2010. They last between 3-4 months before you want to have them redone because as your hair grows, you'll find it harder to prevent damage to your hair between your scalp and the extension. When I first had them replaced, I noticed my hair was thinner. Immediately, I knew it was caused by the extensions. The stylist/studio tries to convince you that your hair just "feels" thinner because you've now been used to the thickness of your extensions, but that's false. They cause a LOT of stress to your scalp and hair (weight of extension, the bond itself, combing your hair and getting it stuck, and when some bonds fall out and pull your own hair with it). The problem is: once you get these extensions, you don't want to stop. They are so addictive and if you have the money, you want to continue getting them. #1 because you LOVE the look, and #2 because you HAVE lost hair and now your hair is thinner than it was already. In Nov 2011, I had my 4th set of extensions in. Now it's Feb 2012. That's 16 months of extensions and about $6000+ spent. This last time, I purposely asked the stylist not to "blend" them with my own hair because I thought maybe it was the blending/layering that was causing my own hair to be thinner. I doubted it, but I didn't want to take any more chances. These are my last extensions for a long time, maybe permanently. To help get me through the sadness and disappointment (with what I did to my own hair), when I do eventually get these last ones removed, I bought a one piece 18" human hair clip-in extension and a human hair ponytail attachment. Let me just say I LOVED my Great Length Extensions. No one could tell they were not my own hair. But what I would suggest to all you ladies if you're considering putting them in is: find a recommended stylist who knows what she's doing. Mine did. Because she knew my hair was fine, she cut the extensions in half so less weight was on the hair strand groupings. If you decide to do this to your hair.. just do it once a year, maybe once every couple of years. Again, it's a lot of stress on your scalp and hair. Otherwise, stick with human hair clip-ins (1 or more pieces). Also, remember you're going to be charged about $200+ to remove your extensions once you want them out (depending on how many you had in and how long it takes to remove them)! I am out of money and thinking about just letting them fall out on their own when the bond is wasted. They are beautiful, and you'll feel beautiful and sexy with them in. I'm just hoping my own hair returns to normal someday, and that I'll like these clip-ins enough to get me through until then. Good luck!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by kathleengem

I have seen many types of hair extensions while being in my friends salon. I researched getting extensions before deciding on Great Lenghts and have to say, after 6 weeks I am freaking out. I have very nice naturally blonde hair with awesome highlights/lowlights. I wanted to "speed up" the process of growing my hair out after a great shorter hair cut. I am wishing I never put these in. I paid $1500.00....god it hurts just to type that. With a heafty tip. She did a great job, although she burned me a couple of times with the hand crimper. I asked her how long they would last, i was told up to 6 months. I was given the brush and the anti-tap to use. After 5 weeks I decided I needed a MINI PARTIAL FOIL...when I got there, she seemed rushed and decided to put on a COLOR throughout my ENTIRE HEAD. I trusted her after remembering she told me to never get color on the extensions.

After sitting under the dryer for probably 40 minutes she washed and dried my hair. The color looked great and she moved on to her next client. The next day I was brushing my hair and up till now...NO extensions had come out. One extension came right out...I freaked out. Looked at it and you could see little bubbles or what looked like the hair had burned off from the extension the entire pieces of hair that were bonded to the extension. I figured it was a fluke. Well the next day two more came out....looking the same. Today, another one came out. I saved it. Called my salon and left a message that I am completely freaked out that all of my hair is ruined and completely scared to death of what my hair will look like after these are taken out. If you need to get extensions...use clip ons or just wait for your hair to grow.

I will update you after I see the hairstylist and decide what to do.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2011 4:40:00 PM More reviews by HeyD228

I have GreatLengths, and I love them. They are very natural looking. I had mine done at Salon Azure, and I would highly recommend them if you wanted Great Lengths. I will be getting these again in 6 months when it is time. I wouldn't recommend anything else. You can flat iron them, curl them, basically treat them like your real hair. Brush them 3 or 4 times a day. They do not damage your hair. Your hair is made out of keratin, at the of great lengths, is a thick piece of keratin. It is heated to a piece of your hair, and gently twisted around your piece of hair. I have the hair I've always wanted. Thanks Great Lengths!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2011 5:03:00 PM More reviews by danspaz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The most natural looking hair extensions. You don't see the bonds. Quality is great. Worth the price. But like anything else that you spend a hefty price on, you must take care of the extensions and brush them daily, condition them and do not put conditioner on the bonds.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2011 1:58:00 PM More reviews by 38makeupjunkie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had to comment after reading several bad reviews. Apparently no one has really had a really BAD experience with hair extensions. I had another product (which I will not name) put in via hot fusion about 3 months ago, and was very excited about the product. Had a great experience with my first set, but something went drastically wrong with the second set and I was left in the hair dressers chair after a routine color with a "seized" up tangled mess of hair. The salon owner was "kind" enough to replace free of charge, however the entire experience left me extremely traumatized and with several bald spots. So, I decided to do much more research this time and found great lengths. I met with a very experienced person who has been doing extensions for over 10 years, and is great length trained (which if you look at the website great length requires 3 days of training). After meeting with her I decided to go with her. The worst part of the new process for me was having my newly installed bad hair extensions removed, very painful because the bonds were very hard and not ready to come out (I probably should have waited longer than 3 weeks, but I hated the hair and the extremely large bonds and couldn't wait to have them taken out). I love the great length hair; I don't know what people expect hair extension bonds to be like... of course you are going to feel something in your hair, I mean come on there is something physically attaching hair to your hair. And the people who complain about the quality of the hair you have to be joking or are not taking very good care of it; great lenghts hair compared to the last "remy" hair I had is 100X better. I have very fine hair and it blends and matches perfectly! With my last set I was constantly worried that the bonds would show, and was paranoid when my boyfriend would touch my head that he would feel them; with the great lenghts I don't have this fear. It has only been two weeks and I am definitely ocd and take extremely good care of them; I brush two/three times a day, wash every two to three days, shampoo and condition as instructed, sleep on a satin pillowcase, always sleep with it in a braid. I guess anything can change as far as how I feel about this hair, but right now I love it and wish that I had investigated more on my first round to have avoided the disaster I am trying to grow out. And one more thing, I was just looking at older pictures of my "old non great length hair extensions' and they don't look half as good. Don't believe all the bad stuff you read; do your research and make sure you find some one who is experienced and takes the time to listen to you and sets a realisic picture of what you can expect.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/18/2011 2:00:00 PM More reviews by mappy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had these put in by a very talented professional. She did a GREAT job and took her time. It's fairly comfortable - at first you feel these bumps and it hurts when you rest your head on anything, but after a week or you get used to it and it is comfortable. But honestly it still looks bad to me. First of all if your hair is not the same texture it's gonna look weird. A lot of times it looks like a mullet. The hair isn't even that nice to be honest. I mean it's not that great looking, it looks kinda ratty, not shiny... and this is after maybe a week or two after having them put in. It's extremely expensive. For that price I expect to have gorgeous hair. Sorry but I don't think this is a great option. I think if you really have hair issues where your hair will NOT grow, maybe this is good. But for the most part I think people would look better just making due with their natural hair. My natural hair sucks but i'm SURE i looked better without these bc they are so ratty. And this is with using all the products recommended, the proper brush, care, etc. After one week alone I realized the hair is not that pretty and just looks very dull. Maybe if it's blonde it would look better? Because the dark color I got just does NOT look shiny at all or pretty.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2011 2:33:00 AM More reviews by dionysia04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok i felt compelled to write a review due to the shocking ones i just read, and wanted girls who were in a similar position to know there's hope.
Here's my story. I've always had long but very thin hair. My hair breaks easily too. No one could tell it was thin but i was always desperate for thick, victorias secret hair lol. I went on someones bad advise to an African salon and got a weave put in. They were extremely heavy and extremely tight. When it was time to remove them i wasn't prepared to see what happened next. CLUMPS of my hair came out. I could tell which was mine cause i got slightly darker extensions which blended nicely with my lighter colour. From my already thin hair i lost maybe half of it. My hair was too fine to handle the weight. But of course hairdressers will tell you anything to make money sometimes. I was devastated and hysterical (needless to say the clients waiting to put theirs in saw my hair fall out and ran out of the salon). I am already one of those girls who cries if i get a haircut and freak out over a few cm's! A hairdresser who heard of my story from my Aunt suggested to her that i get GL if i wanted to get full hair back and grow mine out at the same time.My Aunty forewarned her how sensitive and scared i am with my hair normally let alone in my current bald hysterical state. But this girl was compassionate had gone through the same thing. I had them put in (it takes a couple of hours who cares) and had no pain at all except the first night it felt a LITTLE tight and weird. I really was stunned to hear all the girls on this forum who had pain. It should feel a little weird at first cuz, hey, there are 100 little bonds in your hair but you get used to it really. Not one of the bonds fell out at all, except for one i literally accidentally pulled out which was my fault. NO ONE i mean NO ONE new i had extensions. If i told people i literally had to show them because they wouldn't believe me . I looked amazing for formal events with zero effort cause i took advantage of the gorgeous natural wave. I even woke up late before my own 25th birthday, unwashed hair with zero time to get ready and it still looked sexy like a Victorias Secret hair do lol. I normally dont do much with hair, so high maintemance is an issue for me. But really i did nothing major to look after my GL and i had them in for 7 months!!!! When it was time to take them out i went back to the salon and the same girl took them out and TOOK HER TIME. She really baby-ed me and reassured me she would be ultra gently and slow. I wanted to cry when it was over cause my natural hair looked great. It was long and sleek, no broken bits or fly aways. I was so surprised that i had actually wished i did do the 'extra high maintenance' things to have made it look even better. The only thing i did a little differently is really just taking my time brushing the hair taking care not to pull the extension and cause tension from the bond. If youre going to be an animal with the brush well then yes, YOU are causing damage. The GL is just hair after all not magical unbreakable strings.

So point of my story is for the girls who have had some selfish unprofessional maniac damage your hair and you're looking to regrow yours but want a temporary fix, i recommend GL. I do however believe every bad review on here and feel bad for those girls. At the end of the day even the best hair extensions in the world can go horribly wrong if the person applying them is not professional. I was just lucky this girl was so compassionate cause i really didn't check her credentials. One tip though, she only booked me on her quiet days to purposely take her time and not rush ESPECIALLY for the removal. I do suggest a break after using them and them reapplying at a later time. Take more care and time with your hair if you go swimming. I can only assume the girls who had a bad experience have sensitive scalps (which is common therefore i don't suggest it, go for something temporary like clip ins) or the technicians were really careless and unconcerned for your hair. I dont work for GL or endorse for them for any reason ( otherwise i would hit them up for freebies cause i really can't afford these regularly anymore) Hope this helps someone who had the same problem as me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2011 3:08:00 AM More reviews by nnnaaannn

i had these extensions put in a couple of times before i came a certified GL technician myself ... These extensions are a total rip off. Please do not compare these extensions to a luxury car because they are not worth the money you are spending. We buy these at retailer's cost which means we get a bundle for 80 while you pay 400.. Its quite funny when i hear other stylist say "they're just as expensive for us to buy as they are for you" that is a total load of bull. These extensions arent high quality they are just popular because of celebs. While they look the most natural out of the bunch they are damaging no matter how good you take care of them or how good your stylist is.. If your bond falls out it is not always "natural shedding" but rather your hair was accidentally ripped out of your head, and they do leave tiny bald spots where they were ripped out of make no mistake about that.