Spectro Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish-Prone Skin (Fragrance Free)

4.1

Aqua, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Hydroxypropyl Methocellulose, Polysorbate 20, Cetyl Alcohol (moisturizer), Hydrated Silica, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Diazolidinyl Urea, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Sorbitan Oleate.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Decent cleanser. Doesn't remove makeup so don't expect it to! I use a micellar water cleanser to remove makeup, then use this stuff. I also use it with my powdered rice exfoliant (SHE Red Rice) and it makes the best paste! Love that this stuff is pH balanced so it wont compromise your acid mantle!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've been using this on and off for almost twenty years, at the direction of a dermatologist when I was young and acne prone, and would recommend it to anyone. It is a no fuss cleanser that is gentle and does a great job cleaning your skin without any fancy pyrotechnics. I may stray to new products when I get bored, but this is always in my rotation and is like a reliable old friend you know will show up and get the job done. Warning for those who love foaming cleansers: this is a gel that does not foam.

I've been using this for years. It's a much better alternative to that other liquidy "good for acne" cleanser out there. Spectro must be getting much more popular these days. The price has jumped up a bit since I started using it, and they've rebranded the bottles and the logos as well. Still the same good old product, although I will say I miss the smaller squeeze bottle that they've replaced with the mini pump bottle. I use this when I feel that my skin is getting irritated after my cleansing oil, or alone in the morning.

Amazing product, but it takes getting used to. This has been a staple in my house for over a decade and it works beautifully for certain uses. It doesn't dry my skin out, limits breakouts and reduces redness. I use it only in the morning, though, as it isn't effective at removing makeup.
It seems to work best for me if I follow the instructions and gently rub it for 30 seconds. If you're used to squeaky-clean cleansers, this might feel odd at first. It's a sort of creamy gel that doesn't lather and doesn't leave a squeaky finish. It feels different, but it really works for my sensitive, combo, very breakout-prone skin.
It's also one of the only things my baby's skin can tolerate. The typical J&J and Aveeno baby washes irritate him and many so-called gentle and natural baby products give him a rash. It's the only one I've found that doesn't dry out his skin or cause any irritation.
If only it removed makeup, it would be perfect!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Update: i got desperate. the cleanser I had been using for a good few months left my skin dry ... very dry (Cliniderm gentle cleanser) and I still hadn't seen any improvements from the epiduo. So i scavenged around in my cupboard and found spectro. I still don't like smell, but it left my face feeling clean and NOT stripped, so i've been using it twice a day for the past 10 days. So far I like it. I'm pretty sure it's not contributing to breakouts. But i'll update again if something goes haywire...

2nd Update: MY HG!!!! have been through 3 bottles now!! Leaves my skin so soft and balanced (not drying at all). Cleanses pretty decent (I remove my makeup before I use this tho). I just love everything about this! No breakouts from it whatsoever!!!

---
I used to use this waaaay back in the day to clean my piercings - the price has gone up... A LOT. you used to be able to get a huge bottle for around $6!

Anywho, I only used this a few times before I called it quits. I repurchases it after all these years after reading all the positive reviews here. Im trying to get my acne under control and have been on epiduo for three months. I did have a breakout after using this product but i can't say it was directly caused by this as I switched up a few things in my routine. However, I won't ever give this another shot because the smell really bothered me!! It smelled like pure alcohol, which freaked me out considering my skin issues. I can't say if it removes makeup since I only used it in the morning. I think there are much better options out there for the (new) price.

Best cleanser for my acne-prone skin. It is a cool gel consistency that cleans my face thoroughly without stripping it dry.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

It does not clean off makeup and I dont care how gentle it is, if it doesnt do what it is made for then it is not a good cleanser. There are definitely better cleansers out there that clean without stripping off moisture.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I bought this because it was no frills, no fuss. All the ingredients seem to be non-irritating, so it should've been perfect, right? Wrong. My face felt "tight" after washing which is a sign of a compromised moisture barrier! I also felt like this cleanser contributed to tiny little red spots on my face. I didn't want to have a full-on breakout so I stopped and returned to Pond's cold cream. I still have 95% of this stuff left and I don't know what to do with it!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is absolutely an HG product for me and as long as they keep making this, I will keep on buying it.

I have acne-prone skin that only worsened when I hit my mid twenties. I would wake up routinely to new cysts on my chin and jawline and no product under the sun seemed to be working. I tried expensive cleansers, cheap cleansers, oil cleansing, not cleansing. My bathroom cabinet was full of various spot treatments, many of them barely used, lonely and collecting dust. I tried keeping my hair off my face, washing my pillows, praying to every known and unknown deity. Nada.

Finally, when I was about to resign myself to my fate of horrible adult acne, my dear friend recommended Spectro Jel. A bit hesitant at first that something seemingly so simple could be so effective, I bought a small bottle at SDM and though at first my expectations were very, very low, I was pleasantly surprised by my results. Within 2 weeks of morning and evening use, my skin was slowly beginning to clear up. The breakouts slowed and eventually stopped (barring the odd pimple here and there when Aunt Flo shows up), leaving me with beautiful and clean (but not stripped, which I have learned is very important!) skin.

This stuff works. The packaging not fancy or pretty. In fact it's pretty basic and utilitarian looking. But it's no-nonsense and the large pump bottle is very economical. Don't expect this to remove your make-up, because it won't. You will need to invest in a good make-up remover to do all the pre-work. I personally use Jojoba oil before the Spectro Jel and this regimen has served me well. The product itself is a non-foaming gel - slightly slimy and has a weird smell, but it feels so smooth and refreshing once you massage it into your skin. The instructions state that you can use this on dry or damp skin and I prefer to use it with damp skin as I find it glides easier, but others may feel differently. Also, I can't stress this enough, but follow the directions that tell you to massage the product for a full 30 seconds - it really does make a difference in lifting the dirt and grime from your face and leaving your skin clean. And it is just the right kind of clean - the skin feels fresh and dewy and yet not tight, or stripped. I have found that I need less moisturizer since this maintains my skin's natural moisture.

Overall, this is a great product, it has served me and my skin well and I can't recommend it enough to those suffering from similar issues. I have really found that simplifying my cleansing routine by using this simple product has massively improved my skin and ultimately the quality of my life.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is the ONLY cleanser that doesn't leave my face feeling tight and parched, as most anti acne cleansers are wont to do. It also effectively cleans my skin, so I'm not oily or shiny.
You see, I have the ULTIMATE in combination skin (eczema patches and acne prone in my t-zone) and after about ten years of trying various cleansers that claim to be gentle and non-irritating, I have found my HG cleanser. One that actually feels soothing on my eczema.

My favorite part is the texture; it's like moisturizer. It helps to glide your hands over any acne or irritated skin, lessening any further irritation. It's also fragrance free (really! unlike some other brands that make similar, but false, claims--I'm looking at you Clinique!). It also contains absolutely no foaming ingredients, which feels really weird the first few times, but your skin will thank you for it!

It also works really well with the clarisonic. It provides a nice slippery surface for the brush to get to work.