April 23, 2014 | 1457 users online

Cleansers - Spectro - Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish-Prone Skin (Fragrance Free)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2013 6:25:00 PM More reviews by Complectus

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Love, love, LOVE this cleanser. I've been struggling to find the perfect cleanser for ages and I've finally found it. After about 2 weeks use my skin has never looked and felt better. It's such a gentle cleanser that it doesn't irritate any existing blemishes and it being fragrance free is even better. Sure, it doesn't smell pretty but fragrance free products are better for your skin.

Definitely recommend !

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2013 1:20:00 AM More reviews by lovesabrinaxx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't know why more people don't review this... It truly is an amazing product. It cleans your pores and it makes my skin look cleaner, and brighter afterwards and fights off blemishes so my skin looks amazing. love it. xx

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Sammiethurston

this has been the best so far for my acne.
it's not often i get acne, which is a bonus but i got it mild enough
so the girl at shoppers recommended Spectro Jel for Blemish-prone Skin
and my face isn't read anymore and it is actually working.
i do it once a day which is when i shower and its really working.

Recommended to use!! 10/10

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2013 2:06:00 AM More reviews by cassy2790

I never had problems with acne until I was 22. I would normally just get a pimple or two around the time of the month but it started getting out of control, especially on my chin. I would even get those pimples that are under the skin and big and red. After trying many different cleansers and face routines (Olay, The Body Shop, ect.) I decided to finally talk to my pharmacist. She told me the first rule if you have acne is DO NOT use any type of cleanser that foams/lathers because those types of cleansers wash away the skins natural skin barrier and makes it 10 times easier for bacteria and acne causing agents to creep into your skin. Rule number two was NEVER use a powered bristle brush on your skin. We all think a powered brush would help us get a deep clean but in actuality the brush creates little scratches on the surface of your skin and bacteria get inside your skin and cause acne. She suggested I try Spectro Jel and that it doesn't get the credit it deserves. It's a gentle cleanser with minimal smell and helps treat acne. I decided why not give it a try? I've been using it for 2 weeks now and I've seen a major improvement. I use it in the morning and at night before bed. It's cleared up my acne around my chin, nose and forehead and I feel a lot better about myself now. Just because it doesn't get a lot of credit, doesn't mean it doesn't work. Skip wasting your money on those brand name products and buy Spectro Jel. It works and is a very decent price. This is most defiantly my Holy Grail cleanser!! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by lucyschenk

Spectro jel has become my holy grail. I've spent years trying to find a product that would fight my breakouts yet not make my face red and sensitive. Spectro jel is the only cleanser that doesn't irritate my skin and leaves my skin soft and basically breakout free. Thank you spectro!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 7:26:00 PM More reviews by booyaga

Very gentle and cleans my face nicely. I recommend pairing this with an acne fighting product after cleansing your face with this product (I use Neostrata Toning Solution) and my skin has been clearer than ever! I recommend this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2013 11:42:00 AM More reviews by krsn89

* ABOUT MY SKIN *
My skin is oily but dehydrated. My t-zone is an oil slick, but I also tend to get flaky around the nose and forehead. I have dark acne scars and hyperpigmentation on my chin. Any active acne tends to be extremely red and my cheeks get very red/flushed as well. I am no longer extremely acne prone after changing my diet, but I do still break out if I eat certain things I shouldn't.

* PACKAGING & PRICE *
Spectro Jel comes in a few different packages/sizes. I have used the small 200ml bottle for travel, and this is about $7 (CDN) at Wal-Mart. I usually purchase the 500ml pump bottle, which is around $11 from Wal-Mart. I have read that this is available in a 900ml size pump bottle from Costco as well! I have seen this at most drugstores such as Shoppers Drug Mart and Rexall but I do prefer to buy this at Wal-Mart because it is cheaper there. The pump bottle is great, but you will have to open it when it's almost empty to get every last bit out. One full pump gives you quite a bit of product. The pump bottle itself is a sturdy, opaque white bottle with purple labelling. Both me and my SO use this once a day and a 500ml pump bottle lasts us almost 6 months.

* MY THOUGHTS *
I use this once a day at night. I use one full pump. I massage this in with my fingers for at least 30 seconds, usually more. I also like using this with my Olay Pro X face brush. When I am using the brush, I rub it all over my face first and then apply half a pump to the brush itself. This is a VERY gentle cleanser. It is NOT meant to remove makeup, so if that's what you're looking for, I would NOT get this. I pre-cleanse with jojoba oil, baby oil or even Pond's Cold Cream to remove makeup. You can apply this wet or dry. If you want to apply it dry, just put some in your hand and rub it on your dry face, then tissue or wipe it off. Spectro Jel has a fairly thick, gel-like consistency. Also, this does NOT foam up at all, as it is free of SLS and other sulfates, which is great. It is also free of dyes, lanolin, parabens and it is pH balanced to skin. Both the fragranced (blue bottle) and fragrance free (purple bottle) versions of the Blemish-Prone cleanser smell like alcohol to me. It is fairly strong and you will notice it when it's on your face, but it doesn't linger. I don't even notice it anymore because I've used this stuff for so long! This makes my skin feel SO nice after cleansing. When I first started using this as a VERY acne-prone teen, I was so put off because it seemed so boring and had no beads or colour and wasn't glamorous. I had tried what seemed like every cleanser for my acne, not realizing they were so harsh, and was so frustrated. I had used Neutrogena, Cetaphil, Olay, Aveeno, Biore, Clean & Clear, Dove Sensitive soap, Garnier, Phisoderm, Oxy, ProActiv and probably more that I can't think of off the top of my head. This is the ONLY cleanser that has never dried me out or stripped my skin, nor has it ever made me breakout, even when my acne was at its worst. It is the GENTLEST cleanser ever. Even though I am oily, most cleansers make my face feel very tight and dry afterwards. This cleanser makes my skin feel... normal! No, it doesn't have any fancy active ingredients or anything, but I prefer adding actives to my routine after cleansing, since you're just going to wash cleanser off anyways! And no, this did not singlehandedly resolve my acne, but I think that it helped by not irritating my skin or exacerbating any other skin problems I was having.

* FINAL POINTS *
My HG cleanser. Hands down. I LOVE it. It's about time I review it too, considering I have been using this for probably around 7 years! It was amazing on my acne-prone sensitive skin and it is STILL amazing on my oily, not-so-acne-prone, dehydrated skin. If you are looking for a very basic, gentle cleanser that makes you feel clean without feeling dry or stripped, try this. I have strayed from time to time and ALWAYS come back to this. I think it is well formulated, cheap (considering how long it lasts!), and non-irritating. It is just the perfect basic cleanser for me, and I will never stop buying this!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2013 11:20:00 AM More reviews by dancergirl68

I think people don't understand what this cleanser is supposed to do. It's not supposed to take off makeup because if you have a cleanser that does that it is far too harsh for your skin. It's not supposed to clear up acne hence how it has no acne fighting ingredients in it. What it is supposed to do is gently clean the skin and give it a good base for acne products so that your skin is not further irritated. Anyways I am a spectro gel lover. Been faithful to it for 3 years. I have sensitive acne prone skin and other cleansers always irritate me. When I went to the dentist I saw that they had bottles of spectro gel everywhere to wash hands and face. Thought that was a good sign that the medical industry is using it. So buy! Definitely good basic cleanser. If only their moisturizer was upto snuff!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2013 8:13:00 PM More reviews by prettygirl22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used to use this product and felt that it did nothing for me.. Now I realized it was because I wasn't massaging in the product for 30 seconds!

After reading reviews on MakeupAlley about spectrogel, I went out and purchased the acne prone bottle (purple label) for sensitive skin. Boy, am I ever glad I did!

Although spectrogel does not get ride of current acne, it helps minimize it and stops further acne from developing! It made my skin softer and has really cleared up some of the redness I was experiencing.

However, this product does NOT take off existing makeup therefore you must use another product before you use spectrogel. It is very gentle on my sensitive skin. I took the advice of another MakeupAlley contributer and I first rub the gel in circular motions on my DRY face. After doing this for a couple of seconds I wet my fingers and continue the circular motion for about 30 seconds. Than I wash off with water.

I purchased the bottle without the pump, therefore I feel that the packaging is a little awkward and comes out quickly. I have really noticed a difference and it is super cheap! Will buy again:)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by bazzo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Spectro Jel does not get the attention it deserves. My doctor recommended me to use this brand 8 years ago to treat my acne-prone skin during junior high school, and I have never turned to another cleanser since.

In truth, I usually use the Combination-Skin version, but Costco only had the Blemish-Prone one on sale, so I bought 2 of them in fairly large containers. It took a while to get used to the different smell, but just as I expected, it worked just as wonderfully. The gel is a smooth, no-nonsense cleanser that gets you CLEAN. No foaming and bubbles to irritate any sores or other problems on the skin - it is incredibly gentle. Though I've used this cleanser as part of a rigorous routine, it is the foundation of what I do twice everyday, and is gentle enough for whenever I feel oily. Make sure to massage it well into your skin for about a minute to feel really refreshed - the gel-based cleanser makes it so it's not such a chore :)

Fairly-priced and gentle for nearly any skin type. DEFINITELY will repurchase again. It's a staple cleanser that should be a part of any daily routine.