Neutrogena T/Gel

3.7

Active Ingredient: Coal Tar 0.5% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Laureth-4, Fragrance, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin

on 9/1/2013 4:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have seborrheic dermatitis which is not severe but occasionally flares up on my scalp above my ears. So it looks like dandruff but comes off in larger flakes in patches. My dermatologist previously prescribed a coal tar treatment which is expensive and stinks and to be honest, this shampoo works just as well. The formula has been improved so it does not smell half as bad as it used to. I apply it quite liberally and get a really good lather which I leave on for a few minutes. It says to repeat if necessary but I don't. I follow this with my usual conditioner. My hair does not smell like dandruff shampoo afterwards and is easy to comb. It treats my dermatitis well. When a flare up occurs I use this shampoo about 4 times a week until cleared up. I like that I can see how much product is in the bottle. The only problem I have is that it is sometimes hard to find in stock. It is more expensive than the regular dandruff shampoos but they have not worked for my SD. If anyone reading this does have SD, the best thing I have found to clear it up, apart from topical treatments is to reduce the amount of yeast in my diet. I still have occasional flares but nothing like I used to have.

on 7/7/2013 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I went through two bottles of this shampoo because there isn't as much product in one bottle as I'd like there to be-and I did not see much improvement to my dandruff problem. I kept it on for a few minutes before washing it off because I thought it would be more effective that way, but it wasn't. The tar smell wasn't that bad-it went away after I washed my hair. I won't be buying this again because it's kind of expensive and there isn't much product in one bottle like I said before.

on 3/24/2013 5:06:00 AM

Ever since I was a baby, (as a small child I had cradle cap), I have always had bad dandruff, and when I was about 10 my dermatologist told me to buy this. So, I did, and it worked. after about two bottles over a span of 2 months or so, my dandruff was no longer out of controll. Lately, (I turn 14 this year), the dandruff has come back, but even worse.I don't even know if you can call it dandruff. It is mostly larger chunks, and I have small lumps/bumps/bites/WHATEVER all along the front edge of my hairline. (Near the top of my forehead). I told my mum to buy another bottle, and tried it out once more. It is working pretty well so far after about 2 weeks of restarting the treatment. One tip, if you're finding that it isn't mworking for you, is to LEAVE IT IN AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. The longer, the more effective. I personally love this product, and I use it every day along with small amounts of basic conditioners.

This is the ONLY thing that really keeps my dandruff at bay. I also like that they changed the formula to smell better. Years ago it completely stunk! If you have dandruff that will not quit- try this out. My big complaint is that it's pretty pricey for the amount of product you get, but the up side is that a little goes a long way.

on 2/28/2013 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

So after countless products and trips to the dermatologist it was decided that I don't have dandruff but dermatitis, they present similarly but regular dandruff treatment will not treat dermatitis. I've used every store product and prescription, none have worked and this us no exception. I tried it because it claimed to test dandruff, psoriasis and dermatitis but it has done absolutely nothing for me, even the moment after I use it and get out of the shower, the flakes and itching are just as present as before using it. If it works for some people, that's great because only we know what a pain in the but dermatitis, psoriasis and dandruff are but for me it was a waste of money.

on 2/6/2013 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have had dandruff since i was a wee child. Seriously, the doctor prescribed Selsun for me back when it was a prescription-only product.

Over the years I've tried so many different dandruff shampoos, but my favorite is T-gel. It really does the job of taming my scalp. I am even fond of its smoky tarry smell. I don't like shampoos with a lot of perfume in them, and this stuff just smells like itself.

I don't wash my hair daily - just 2 or 3 times a week - because i've found that nearly every dandruff shampoo is hard on the hair, and a head full of dried out straw is not nice. If you feel you must wash daily, dandruff shampoos are best alternated with a gentler, more moisturizing shampoo.

on 12/3/2012 2:08:00 PM

I'm not sure if I have psoriasis, or just horribly bad itchy/flaky scalp, but my doctor recommended I try Neutrogena T-Gel. So I did, for a full bottle, and noticed absolutely NO difference.

It got rid of the scalp dryness/flakes on the day that I used it, but the next morning, my scalp would be dry and flaking again. I'm so frustrated.

It smells masculine, and like tar (because there's coal tar in it. That's the T in T-gel. It's a dandruff fighter.) but the scent really didn't bother me. You can cover it up by using conditioner afterward. But the product itself just didn't work :(

on 10/28/2012 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I bought this after battling with other anti-dandruff shampoo's to help aid my seborrhoeic dermatitis. I was reluctant because I knew from family members who also used it that it smelled awful. And it really hasn't changed. The bottle says "pleasant frangrance", which I feel is an outright lie.

I noticed it helping right away. I have to use it every day however, but that isn't a trouble because I have to wash my hair every day anyway thanks to my very fine and fast-greasing hair.

After a week however, I noticed my hair becoming very dry and straw-like. I have begun to need to condition my hair heavily to combat this dryness. I will probably not buy this product again and continue to search for other treatments that don't attack the rest of my hair.

on 8/13/2012 8:23:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I had uncontrollable dandruff and after using this for about 10 days it's all gone! I did find that if I did not continue to use it at least twice a week that my dandruff would come back.

This stuff burned a bit on any high dandruff patches, it felt like the prescription treatment rub my doctor gave me.

The smell is absolutely horrid though I put up with it since it's the only shampoo that has ever gotten rid of my dandruff.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have PSORIASIS in my scalp, I like to use the severe t gel... I do get shampoo from my dermatologist, but I go through it fast and its not cheap so this is my alternative when i run low on my other shampoo from the doctor....I find the best results when I apply it too the scalp then ill add a little water and rub it in, I leave it on my scalp from anywhere to 15-30 min's depending on how much time I have, I do this when im around the house cleaning etc, I don't sit in the shower for 30 min's. it works better for me that way, then I get in the shower and rise it out. putting it in my hair in the shower and leaving it for a few min's doesn't work for me. I get even better results when I do it everyday, so I recommend it. it works pretty well. But I hate the smell yuck