April 21, 2014 | 1233 users online

Eyes - MAC - Paint Pot in Rubenesque

rated 2 of 5 on 5/1/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by lauracrua

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought into the hype and again I'm disappointed! This is my first (and last) paint pot so I'm not sure how similar all the colours are in texture.

I love the colour in the jar and on my hand but on my eyes it looks like patchy orange glitter on my eye with not enough base colour. Within a couple of hours it begins to gather and crease. The colour is a little too peach for my tastes, its a personal thing but I thought I'd mention if anyone with my colouring is wondering.

It's the texture that I dislike most though. It is quite a dense, dryish cream that doesn't blend well and sits heavily on my lids making them look drier than they are. They are similar in texture to my maybelline colour tattoo eyeshadows which i dislike for the same reasons.

I'm not sure why people love these so much but I definitely recommend the Benefit creaseless cream shadows, Shiseido shimmering creams or for something glittery Chanel Illusion D'ombre.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2013 3:22:00 PM More reviews by SamanthaJo19

Disappointed in this eyeshadow. I was hoping itd have more pigment, but its so sheer it looks like theres nothing on my eyes. Good base, but why buy a mac e/s just to cover it up?

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2013 5:44:00 AM More reviews by louisahm26

I love this as a quick everyday wash of colour all over the lid. It lasts and doesn't crease without a primer, even on my oily lids. It's a beautiful, easy to wear colour and even after owning it for nearly a year mine hasn't dried out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2013 8:11:00 PM More reviews by SimpleNSexy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

A fantastic primer/base

Price: $23 CAD
Colour: light gold
Finish: iridescent shimmer
Texture: buttery smooth

This dries to a powdery finish in a flash! Crease-free for the entire day and is waterproof and smudge proof.
I use this pretty much every day all over the lid with a crease colour black gel liner. Since it's a gold (peachy on fairer skin) anyone can wear this!
Melon pigment is a touch darker and Tweet Me (which I own) from the Peacock Collection is a powder version of this.
Get it, love at first wear guaranteed! <3

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 6:46:00 AM More reviews by eltergeist

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

My first paint pot, I bought Rubenesque sight unseen, based on the rave reviews all over the net. Itís such a beautiful, shimmery, pinky gold in the pot, that I couldnít wait to put it on once Iíd got it home, but unfortunately, on my pale NW20 skin it dries to an unflattering light apricot colour. Disappointing. I imagine it might make blue eyes pop, but my eyes are dark green (the exact colour of Urban Decayís Mildew) and the combination of dark green and orange is not pretty. It also seems to lose the glowing sheen that it has in the pot, once dried, so wearing it on its own as an eye colour doesnít really work for me.

However, all is not lost, as Iíve now started using it as an eye shadow base, which I believe is what itís actually intended for. I apply a thin layer or two with my ring finger, then let it dry briefly, before applying my chosen eye shadow over the top. When I do this, even the brightest Urban Decay shadows (which I find fade and crease within 3-4 hours unprimed) remain as strongly coloured and uncreased for 14+ hours! I also like to think that the base lends an extra metallic shine to my shadows, but that might be wishful thinking.

Overall, I love this product as a base, though not as a standalone eye colour, and would definitely purchase more paint pots (not that I can imagine this running out before it dries out), though I wouldnít buy Rubenesque again. I would try to find one that works a bit better with my colouring.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 2:41:00 PM More reviews by javachip00

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this! I first purchased it a few years ago and used it all up but thought I didn't need it again (to save $$). Now I'm back, realizing I prefer using this everyday.
After applying my tinted moisturizer (or foundation), I apply this all over my eyelids and even under my eyes with my ring finger (for gentle application).
It works as a great primer. The color is not obvious at all, but that's OK with me. I love the way it feels, and the subtle sheen really wakes up my face. I then follow with a very neutral look with mostly brown eyeshadows.
The jar the paint pots come in is very sturdy and feels expensive. I don't mind dipping my finger in it, as long as I just wash my hands.
Rubenesque is just SUCH a beautiful shade in the pot. Can't resist it! The sheen holds all day.
It's a bit pricey at about $20 with tax, but I find it well worth it. One pot lasts me a long time, probably about 2 years if I remember correctly. Will repurchase again and again to use as my eye primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2013 6:14:00 AM More reviews by liseyloo

Rubenesque is a bit like Nars Orgasm for eyes. I love this paint pot! Everyone tells me to use copper shades on my eyes since they are blue, but since I'm very pale and cool-toned, it's hard to find a coppery colour that isn't too orange (i.e. warm). Rubenesque is a pinky-copper, not an orangey/yellow-y copper, which needs more than one "coat" to really stand out. However, I like the fact that one "coat" will provide a light wash, as it's perfect for the office i.e. not too bold. Tip: I like to add a dot of this in the inner corner of the eye to really brighten them up. :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2013 12:48:00 PM More reviews by Sarah1325

I can already tell this is gonna last me forever. I use it as a base. I find it has some pink tones to it and its a nice colour but not very pigmented unless yoyu layer it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2013 3:08:00 AM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was actually expecting this to be more pigmented as a stand alone cream shadow, but it is still terribely pretty and can be built up. It pulls more salmon than gold on me. Paint pots work great as primers for me, as well, and I have oily lids.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/13/2013 3:01:00 AM More reviews by hgpt2

I was looking for a good eyeshadow base and I was a little scared to try a primer for eyeshadow since I read the ingredients and reviews and a lot of people said that they got milia. I get milia often so I didn't want to risk it. I read MAC paint pot reviews and I didn't see a lot of negative reviews so I decided to get the Rubenseque to use with my Naked 2 palette. I have been using this product for about 4 months now and I absolutely hate it. It seemed to work initially, like holding the eyeshadow together and not creasing, but after a few months of use, it badly creases my eyeshadows and I look horrible after just 6 hours of wear. This is not what I expected from MAC. For some reason, no MAC products worked for me- not their eyeliner, not their foundation and now, this paint pot. My skin is super oily, so I don't know if this happened only to me or if this was a defective product, but I had to trash it!