Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo

3.0

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

water, decyl glucoside, lauryl glucoside, coco-betaine, coco-glucoside, glyceryl oleate, honey, glycine soja (soybean) protein, glycerin, sucrose laurate, betaine, glucose, fragrance, punica granatum (pomegranate) extract, moringa pterygosperma seed extract soy amino acids, xanthan gum, citric acid, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase

on 8/17/2012 6:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

Not pleased at all with this shampoo and to be honest I was so disappointed because I really thought this shampoo was good as there are so many great reviews. I've been having problems with my hair since I moved abroad, the scalp becomes oily, the ends are really dry and worst of all my hair falls out horribly. I used to have bouncy, thick hair and now it just looks plain sad.
I tried using the shampoo I normally use back at home but it made no difference. Then I tried using a local Japanese brand, same result. Then I found out that those products contain SLS and decided to switch to organic brands instead and Burt's Bees Very Volumizing shampoo was my first choice. How disappointed I was after the first time I used it. It made my hair fall out even more, didn't help with the scalp problems too, in fact in made the ends of my hair drier than ever. But I gave it a chance and continued using it for the next two weeks and guess what, it only became worse. I needed to use three handfuls of conditioner just so I could comb the hair afterwards. :(

on 8/12/2012 3:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Please note - Burts Bees has repackaged and reformulated this Shampoo - they are selling it with the same name but different ingredients.

The old version was good for me - I used it on my roots and it provided a great volumizing effect.

This new one is HORRIBLE! Why? Because it made my hair fall out SO much! Am not sure what ingredient has this effect (I tried to compare the two formulas since I still have both bottles)...all I know was that I was shedding a lot of hair after switching to this shampoo. I didn't really connect all the hair falling out in the shower to this - then I switched shampoos and the hair fall stopped IMMEDIATELY - and I haven't had any problems since!

I'd say this new formula is like poison - steer clear!!!! I usually don't write such extreme reviews - but this shampoo is UNBELIEVABLY BAD!

I really wanted to like this shampoo. When I smelled it, I was in love.But this is NOT a volumizing shampoo. If I were to give it any credit, it would be good for those with really dry hair. It weighed my hair down so much and left a waxy residue. Volumizing shampoos are supposed to make your hair feel light, airy, thick and bouncy. Not this product. I feel bad because I have so much left so I'm just using it as body wash lol.

on 7/27/2012 10:08:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

As a lifetime user of drugstore shampoos all containing SLS, this shampoo along with the matching conditioner was my first ever try of an organic and sls free hair product. I have used it about two times now (one wash with my natural hair and another after wash with coconut oiled hair) and can say I'm actually surprised with the results but not impressed. I purchased the shampoo and conditioner off the official website for $10, otherwise it costs $8-$10 on the website or drugstores.

My experience with this shampoo is that it does smell lovely BUT a bit over powering. I used a quarter size amount (I have seriously thick hair) and found that the scent lingered even after rinsing many times. If you love strong smelling shampoos this a product for you! SIDE NOTE: The conditioner smells the same however there is an after smell that smells like nail polish. Did not like the conditioner at all.

Another pro is that this shampoo lathers quite well. Don't expect a lather like you would from Pantene or Garnier but my strands were squeaky! My scalp had retained some of it's natural oil (but as a side note I do have an oily scalp naturally). If you don't have an oily scalp you may have to use less product or apply oil before hand.

Lastly, I found that when my hair air dried the texture of my hair did change a bit. It still had frizz (and no volume but that's okay, I wasn't really looking for volume) but it was a bit smoother. I'm not sure if that is an outcome of the actual shampoo itself or the result of using an SLS free shampoo. Many factors involved so the only thing to do is keep trying other products as well.

FINAL THOUGHTS: If you want to try an SLS free shampoo, look for other cheaper alternatives (such as L'oreal) first to see if your hair can withstand no SLS. Some people get great results and others don't. This shampoo smells great but for the price it's a deal breaker. Unless you get it for a bargain like I did, give it a shot! All in all, there are way better products out there that will smell good, make your hair look fab, and not vacuum the money out of your wallet.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I literally don't know if I'd buy this product again... defintely not now, but if it was for like for 2 dollars... then maybe. This is only cause this used to be my favourite shampoo, and used to clean my hair so well......blahblabhlabhbab. Then, i got tired of the same smell everyday so decided to buy the mango one (the new one which was the worst shampoo ever and left my hair coatedddd)!!! - after that, i stopped using that and continued using this, and all of a sudden this didn't leave my hair swingly and light and i remembered. Instead it was coated and oily at the roots. :( .... so now i use another shampoo and this is discontinued anyways in toronto in canada :(

on 5/24/2012 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

As a person like myself who suffers from an oily scalp that needs to be washed every other day, I love this shampoo. My scalp is very sensitive to shampoo's containing SLS and the fact that this shampoo does not contain harsh ingredients; is such a huge plus. This is the only shampoo that I have repurchased and I will continue to use in the future. I hope Burt's Bee's does not discontinue this product. Whenever I use this shampoo, my scalp is less oily, I loose less hair in the shower, it makes my scalp less itchy and it does give a little volume. I think this product gives a decent amount of lather once it is worked (one should also remember that SLS shampoo's do not lather as much as other shampoos containing the ingredient). The only two cons about this product would be that it can be very drying.. but that can easily be fixed by using conditioner. Secondly, it can be a bit pricey. I don't use conditioner with this product because my natural oils are good enough to condition the hair. But I highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking of going SLS free and has a bit of an oily itchy scalp.

on 5/22/2012 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

After seeing these on sale at Target, I bought the shampoo and matching conditioner. The scent was unbelievable and I had to try it. Although the shampoo can have difficulty producing suds, I always find my hair to be clean and soft. I used this shampoo after a swimming class for 4 months, 3 days a week and it even saved my blonde hair from the damages of chlorine! Naturally!

on 5/8/2012 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I bought the new bottle and it doesn't have soy. Plain and simple, this shampoo sucks. It makes my scalp oily and my ends dry. Even when my hair is wet, I can feel the build up on my scalp. Oh and worst of all, it makes my scalp itchy with zero volume. For a drugstore brand, this product is expensive and I would skip it next time.

on 4/24/2012 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm conflicted as to how to write this. I will say this: this shampoo DOES clean your hair and scalp. When I used it, I could actually feel my hair squeaking. The problem is, I feel like because it was just shampoo without many other fancy additives, it was a bit harsh and dried out my hair. I admit that my hair is on the drier side to start with, but this really made my hair very brittle-feeling, although it did not cause damage or breakage. I recommend this if you're getting really dirty and need a good scrub, but I would stick to a gentler day-to-day shampoo.

on 4/21/2012 2:36:00 PM

I love this product SO much!!! I have pretty thick, typical Asian hair. It has some natural spontaneous 'wave' in it, and it gives my many layers sooo much texture! My hair produces a load of sebum, (therefore my hair is never dry for more than an hour) but after two days, I will have extremely greasy roots. This helps to even out the sebum. I love to use this with Super Shiny Mango Conditioner :).

Popular Shampoos