September 2, 2014 | 1201 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2014 7:54:00 PM More reviews by tricyclesinskirts

my hair is so sad right now. the ends are as split as a banana.

i remembered trying, and being mildly impressed by, aphogee 2-step in the past. it worked, but i wasn't *blown away*...probably because i didn't take the time to actually blow dry it properly. or maybe my hair was in better condition then. either way, i realized that wearing a baseball cap every single day is seriously unacceptable, and went to my local sally's for this product (i also got the green tea keratin spray from aphogee to be extra-sure my ends were protected post-treatment.) as a side note, though i did use the balancing moisturizer that comes with the treatment, i coated the ends of my hair in l'oreal oleo masque--i've had a lot of success with that masque. i swear it feels just like kerastase. but anyway. i followed the directions to a T this time, and let my hair air dry. the next night, i coated it in a concoction of coconut, castor, and macadamia nut oil.

two days later, and my hair still looks like i need a hair cut, dont get me wrong. but the ends arent sticking together like they were before--it looks like actual HAIR again, not some weird gummy junk i attached to my head. i actually cant stop touching it cos it feels so much healthier, and thicker! i'm very pleased with the results. highly, highly recommend this treatment.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2014 5:01:00 AM More reviews by designerskyline

Hair Length: medium-short (a little longer than chin-length)
Hair Type: Thin-medium, lots of split ends, damaged & frizzy from straightening it every day

This product completely saved my hair. I used to have hair down to my lower back, and I dyed it pink frequently - as you can imagine, my hair was in horrible shape from the bleaching (I have black hair). I used this treatment during this time and my hair looked brand new. I couldn't stop touching it after I got out of the shower!

After cutting it all off, it looked a lot better - but I still had frizzy hair and split ends from straightening my hair every day. I bought this treatment in the sample size, which is about $5 each for the treatment (protein treatment + conditioner). I had to use 2 even though my hair is fairly short; I guess it's because I have a lot of it. Anyway, after using this, it amazed me even more the second time around. I usually blow-dry my hair after washing it, and it ends up really frizzy and feels dry and coarse. After using this, it was like touching someone else's hair. I shed literally ZERO hair after using this (normally I shed like a cat), and my hair is smooth even after blow-drying it. When I first used it, this effect only lasted about 3 weeks, but it's definitely worth it.

The only problem I have with this is the smell - it smells like cat pee to me. My cat even tried licking my hair when I had this stuff in. I blow-dry it after applying with a dye brush for about 5 minutes, then let it air-dry for 30-45 mins (and 2 hrs when I had really long hair). It is QUITE sticky so make sure you use gloves when applying it; I didn't have any around so I had to hold my hair with my hands, but it's easy to wash off so it wasn't a huge problem. Also, you have to comb your hair RIGHT AWAY - DO NOT let it dry and then try to comb it, as the hair hardens within minutes and becomes impossible to deal with. Shower with warm/hot water and let your hair soak for a minute before trying to apply shampoo or running your fingers through it.

The conditioner is also great - it feels very creamy and nourishing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2014 1:36:00 PM More reviews by reneemeraz510

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is amazing and truly saved my hair! If you have over processed hair from bleach and have suffered from plenty of fall out, like I once had, please check out this product. You will be very impressed!

I naturally have very thick black hair and decided to go platinum blonde. After five months for continuously bleaching the black hair dye out of my hair, which I recommend you DO NOT do, my hair became extremely wrecked. Although it has finally reached the platinum color I was so desperately trying to achieve, my hair began falling out in huge clumps, became very dry, brittle, and was thinning at a rapid pace. At that point, I was very afraid to brush my hair and even wash it, afraid to witness the large amounts of hair clogging the drain.

I later went to seek help and decided to contact Sally's Beauty Supply store. The woman who picked up heard my situation and recommended me the Aphogee Two- Step Protein Treatment. I immediately went to the closest Sally's near me and picked up a bottle of the Aphogee Two- Step Protein Treatment and the Aphogee Balanced Moisture Conditioner.
Once I returned home, I automatically jumped into the shower to rinse my hair, since the directions state that you must apply this product to damp hair. After I towel dried my hair, I quickly ran the product all throughout my hair, mainly focusing on the roots. One thing I noticed with the Two-Step Protein Treatment is that it is very runny and has a strange scent to it. I then proceeded to blow dry my hair for approximately 10 minutes. I soon noticed the product hardening on my hair, causing it to look dry and crispy. Once it hardened, I let it sit for a couple of minutes and washed it out using the Balance Moisture Conditioner, which smells like fresh flowers according to my boyfriend. I did notice a lot of fall out in the shower, which made me a bit skeptical. Three days have passed since I've used this treatment and I have to say that I have noticed a significant difference in my hair. It no longer falls out in huge clumps and it seems a lot smoother than before. I can brush my hair now and haven't noticed a ton of hair in the drain during my showers. I highly recommend this product to those suffering from extreme fall out.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2014 7:50:00 AM More reviews by Reservechic

I've had this product used on my hair both in a professional salon setting and at home, and I never saw any great results from it. It would suck every ounce of moisture out of my hair. My hair would always look and feel very dry after this protein treatment would be used in it.

Also, I think that it is way overpriced too.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2014 5:03:00 AM More reviews by Alissalouise13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

After using a colour remover, bleaching my hair, then re-colouring it all in the space of one week, my hair was looking and feeling pretty bad! After all of this my hair is still lighter at the back so will need colouring again. I needed something to save my hair! Aphogee protein treatment was that product.

Yes, it smells funny, but after reading the reviews I was expecting it to be repulsive! It really wasn't THAT bad... I left it on for about 20 minutes, using a hair dryer until my hair went crispy. I rinsed it with warm water, used my Ojon conditioner and voila! Shiny healthy looking hair again! Very impressed!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 6:16:00 PM More reviews by blueroses2525

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I decided to try this after reading all of the reviews on here, and I was not disappointed. My hair had been dried to the texture of straw by coloring and heat styling, and none of the balms or oils I'd tried had made any difference. After one treatment with the Aphogee Two-Step Protein, my hair had completely regained all of its softness and shine! I would give this product ten stars if I could. Thank you for the great recommendation, MakeupAlley!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2013 1:55:00 AM More reviews by GPollice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my very first review on mua or any website really so I apologize in advance if mess this up. This product may have well saved my hair after a Major major hair disaster that happened to me several months ago. To keep the long story on the short side, I lost a major portion of my hair to a dye job gone very very wrong.
I had been getting all over highlights on my naturally dark brown hair for several years, this I had noticed started to take its toll on my hair and I was starting to see some slight damage and I also kept noticing falling hairs everywhere so, I told the girl who had being doing my hair for well over a year that I wanted to take a break from the bleach for a while and just to dye my hair to my natural brown (to cover greys). It all went down hill from there...but my hair came out jet black, like goth princess black. Not what I wanted at all. So in order to fix her color choice mistake she chose to do some color colorection where she mixed shamppoo and bleach(or lifter whatever it is) we'll then my hair was pumpkin orange..it went from bad to worse. Only I didn't know how much worse it was gonna get.
We'll over the next day or so it was like my once full shoulder length head of thick hair was gone. Gone. I now had a chin length Orange shaggy bob
Anyway... So needless to say ended up @ Sally's to try to find something to get rid of my pumpkin head. When I was there and looking around I spotted the Apohgee which I read about online after my hair disaster. So I picked up the smaller trial pack. I did more reaserch on the aphogee and was kinda scared to use it cause the process kinda freaked me out a bit and was really scared to do anymore damage to my hair.
I have had the pack of aphogee since September when this happened and for some reason today I thought I would give it a try. Well, I wish I would have not waited so long to use it!
I have been using pure organic cocnut oil( on dry hair then let sit for at least 30 min w shower cap ) as well as the entire line of Joico kpak products which all work well
I know that at some point I need to get the dead ends cut which is the only thing that is really gonna help. But, so far nothing that I have used in all the many repair products and treatment has worked like the aphogee. It has literally brought the life and volume back to my hair.
My only suggestin is to buy 2 packs bc it is very messy and runny and it kinda runs thru ur fingers so u lose some down the sink.
Where a old tank top or something and take any rings off cause it dries to ur skin and clothes.
I think if I had been able to get more on my head instead of on my sink it would even had better results.
It is time consuming, I did not think the smell was as bad as some people said. It does harden up and freaked me out a bit and I also wish I would have left it on longer( I blew dry for a good 10-15 min) til it hardened up then let just sit on my head for about another 15 or so.
Got in shower and let water rinse it out did not really move or touch my hair til it was soft. Rinse it really well. Removed excess h20 from hair and then applied step 2, I left that on my hair in shower while I shaved, washed face etc... After that I towel dried my hair out of shower and did apply my joico kpak intense repair and let that sit on my head for about 10 min. I did that upon reading other reviews and some said they needed or did an extra condining/ moisturizing step.
I am curios to see how my hair holds up over the couple days. But so far I'm very happy and will def purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by ridemebigsheIdon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Adding another shining review to the batch. I've used this product in the past but frankly, I was never patient enough to let the product completely harden on my hair. This time, with my hair completely ravaged from multiple color changes about a year ago, I decided to go big or go home.

I decided to apply the product while I was still in the shower. I squeezed the excess water out of my hair and went liberal with the protein product, drenching my hair from midshaft to ends. I avoided my healthy outgrowth since I did not want to upset it's balance. I wrapped a crappy old towel around my neck to avoid the product drips and set up my blow dryer. What do I mean by 'set up'? Well, I don't own a standalone dryer, so I took an old sneaker and put it on a shelf in my living room. I had the sneaker's rear facing the edge of the shelf and put my dryer handle in the shoe so I could sit under the dryer to let the product harden. It was seriously that easy and this time, since I didn't have to hold the dryer, I was able to completely allow the treatment to work. Be very careful when you go to wash it out. Any mangling of the hair *will* break it off, counteracting the treatment's purpose - it gets that hard.

I don't use the recommended conditioner, instead I use one of the L'Oreal EverPure ones and I let it sit for longer the recommended couple minutes, too. I allowed my hair to air dry and I was shocked at its health following this treatment. My hair was no longer frizzed and course from the ear down - instead of thinning as the shaft got longer, it just looked like hair. I'll be continuing treatment every 2 months or so since this is really nursing my hair back to life. Note that too much protein is a disadvantage to your hair - and be sure to heavily moisturize to balance after your treatment. Would I buy again? Most certainly! Does it stink? Absolutely. But it truly works if you do it correctly.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by ChelseaDOLL

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product on and off for years! I have relaxed hair that recently succumbed to heat damage, so after cutting off 4 inches or so of hair I decided to put the 2 step treatment back into my hair regimen. I use it once a month to keep my hair strong and in tip top shape. I highly recommend this to women with thin, porous hair who are constantly using heat or chemicals to style or treat their hair. It really makes a difference. Just follow the directions, don't freak out when your hair gets hard from the treatment, be patient when rinsing it out, and sit under the dryer for a good 10 minutes to deep condition with the conditioner pack. Style as you usually would and you're set!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2013 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Inkdot

If you have really porous hair (wet/stringy when wet and dry/brittle when dry) you need to buy this. I bought the sample packs (I bought two, but only needed one since I have short hair), since I wasn't sure if this would work for my overly damaged bleached hair and I didn't want to buy an entire bottle just yet. I am amazed at how well this worked. I thought I would have to go to a salon to get my hair back to a normal state, but this did the trick! My hair isn't PERFECT, but this made it much more manageable. I couldn't even get a comb through my hair, and if I tried, my hair would snap and break into little strings. I wanted to cry, and frantically looked online to find something to at least help in the tiniest bit. My hair feels soft now, and I can run a comb or brush through it now without any hassle. The smell is horrible, the actual product is messy, and it takes a while for the heat to harden the protein. Your hair will feel stiff, like gel. It's a hassle to do, but it is so worth it.