TheBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

4.1

Active: Octinoxate 7.5, Octisalate 3, Avobenzone 3. Inactive: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate, Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60, Styrene-DVB Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethyhexyl Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

on 3/9/2015 1:50:00 PM

Rereview:

Day 14: So I have used this for over two weeks. Intitially I thought it was breaking me out, but apparently it was a hormonal breakout.
It's an amazing product. Goes on smooth, leaves the skin soft & glowing. It gives a semi matte finish and does not make the skin oily throughout the day. It leaves me looking fresh all day long.
It is reasonably priced as it contains 60 ml of the product & only a pea sized amount is enough for the whole face & neck.
The only con is it can highlight dry patches.
Highly recommend this product. I will be buying again & again.

The Balm products rule!

Day 1. Amazing coverage, good color match (light), skin felt smoother than it had in ages. Matte & glowing finish. Unfortunately it has broken me out on both cheeks. Will continue using for a few days. Disappointed, since it's such a great product.

on 2/22/2015 10:52:00 AM

I really want to love this product, after reading all the good review about it. I love the consistency and how easy this product spread on my face but it oxides on my face so badly, making it orangey after 1 hour of application.

on 2/3/2015 6:00:00 PM

I adore this product. I have been looking for a light foundation, or tinted moisturizer, without success for years. I bought this on the strength of reviews here and could not be happier with it. In fact, within a week of buying it in "Light", I bought "Lighter than Light" as well. My shade is probably in between the two but I can wear each of them or mix them. I don't find it particularly moisturizing so wear it over a fairly heavy moisturizer now, in the dead of winter, and expect it will be just right on its own in summer. It is heavily pigmented and a drop the size of a small pea does my entire face. I apply with my fingers and then swirl an IT makeup brush over it. It doesn't accent anything I don't want to accent and does create a nice even, light reflecting but shine free look to my complexion. Perfection!

on 2/3/2015 2:53:00 AM

I purchased this because it was on Hautelook for cheap. I've never been a fan of tinted moisturizers, but I decided to give this one a try after I ran out of my regular foundation. I mixed it up with the time balm face primer and applied it. It went on smoothly, thanks to the primer, most likely. But all in all, it stayed on my face all day and gave me light/medium coverage, which is exactly what I usually go for. I like it, it works well, but I don't know if I see myself repurchasing.

on 1/27/2015 10:50:00 PM

This is a great tinted moisturizer! Goes on smooth and provides sheer coverage - enough to even out my skin tone. I just dab concealer on any other flaws that show through. I feel like my skin has even improved with using this! One caveat is that the difference between light-medium (which is what I use) and medium is too drastic; I'm probably somewhere in between. The tones lean a little towards pink, but once on my warm, yellow-undertone skin it works without any weird cast. I do warm it up a bit with a touch of bronzer sometimes. I highly recommend this for barely-any-makeup days!

on 1/22/2015 6:07:00 PM

Best Tinted Moisturizer Ever!! Would recommend to anyone who just wants a hint of makeup.

on 1/22/2015 5:40:00 PM

SADLY, this did break me out. It gave me inflamed, irritated clogs in random places. Two on my nose, two near the hairline, 3 on my chin. Wearing this for a whole week has left my skin notably worse than before. I have sensitive skin, but if you run the ingredients through cosdna one is a 4, meaning it's pretty comedogenic. I'm going back to Nars, which isn't a perfect color match, but has 0 comedogenic ingredients.

Here's my opinion prior to the breakouts:
This sinks into skin more than the LM tm. It's less shiny than the Nars TM, which I like. The lightest Nars TM was too dark for me, so I got this in Lighter than Light and it actually looks too light upon applying, but then oxidizes to a great color. Disappointing it doesn't work for me.

on 12/8/2014 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I love this tinted moisturizer. The price is expensive, as can be expected from a higher end brand. For 64 ml though, it's cheaper than other drugstore brands that sell tinted moisturizer for 30 ml. I have Olive/Tan skin and I have tried the Light/Medium and Medium shades. I tend to be much paler in the winter, but even with one shade, it could work since it's a sheer coverage and doesn't look cakey or heavy.

It's definitely a foundation that should be worn without a lot of concealer under or over. Basically, it's a good moisturizer for clear skin since it won't hide any acne scars or breakouts. I had to stop using this product mid-way through the bottle since I started getting break outs (not from the product) and only used it again when I had less I wanted to conceal.

The pigmentation is good for a tinted moisturizer and the colour matches were good for my skin tone. I think it has a better coverage than other tinted moisturizers I've tried from Physician's Formula because it's less greasy and tends to dry a little more matte.

The finish is really beautiful and definitely looks natural. This is my favorite tinted moisturizer for the summer, since it's easy to apply and tends to last the whole day (or at least wears off naturally). I've even received compliments on my skin when I'm wearing it because it does give off a natural, healthy glow.

The price may put some people off, but at 64 ml in a bottle, that's actually quite affordable. The bottle lasted me about a year and I'll definitely repurchase when I want less coverage. I only have love for this product.

on 12/4/2014 3:25:00 PM

I bought this as part of a promotion and didn't realise there were different shades. I have fairly pale skin, however I accidentally bought the Medium (which was the only shade available where I bought it). At first I thought it was way too dark and I would never use it, but now I use it all the time!

When I'm at the beach or just wearing light makeup I wear it by itself, it doesn't give full coverage so you may not want to wear it for everyday use. Otherwise I mix it with my other foundation which is medium coverage and slightly too pale for me, apply with a Beauty Blender, and together it gives really good results.

I'm about to run out and definitely going to buy more.

on 11/23/2014 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hooray for an affordable and high-quality tinted moisturizer. I LOVE this product! I had been a devoted Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer user for a couple years. But lately, I've decided to put more of my money into high-end foundations, like the ByTerry Cover Expert. So for days when I want a lighter face of make up (which is most days), I wanted to try something a little more affordable.

This is a very silky tinted moisturizer; it really helps to hydrate my dry skin. If you have very oily skin, I might not recommend it, but for my dry skin, it absorbed even better than the LM. The consistency of this is much thinner than the LM, but it's provided just as strong coverage. It's also long-lasting; if I definitely want to this last from 9 in the morning until 7 or 8 in the evening, I will put a powder on it. But even without a powder, it lasts for the whole work day. I do generally have to put on a moisturizer before applying this, but this product is so light, I never feel like my face is bogged down in product.

It's also worked well for my (mildly) sensitive skin. I have very red cheeks/nose and this has done an excellent job of controlling my redness. I even can wear a creamy blush with this product which is a first for me.

This product could easily cost $40. But with my amazon prime, it cost $13, plus it is a 2.15 FL oz bottle as opposed to the 1.7 FL you get with NARS or LM. The packaging has an adorable vintage look and the bottle is travel friendly. This has also topped other drugstore tinted moisturizers, such as Aveeno and Neutrogena, which have always looked somewhat grainy and cakey on my face.

In short, I find the difference between this product and the Laura Mercier to be negligible. If you have dry skin and are looking for an affordable tinted moisturizer, then I heartily recommend this one.

Top Rated TheBalm Products