January 31, 2015 | 1417 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - TheBalm - BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2014 7:11:00 PM More reviews by hottahitilover

I got this at tj maxx in a gift set its ok it doesnt have full coverage unless i mix this with a clinique foundation then it gives a full smooth coverage I wouldn't pay full price for this I got it for maybe 10.00 or so at a discount in the shade medium.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2014 1:01:00 AM More reviews by HighPriestess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The Balm's TimeBalm Concealer in the shade "Lighter than Light" is a long-time favorite in my kit; recently, I decided to try their BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer w/ SPF 18 in the same shade.

Texture:
BalmShelter is thin in texture and very easily blended; it has no discernable sheen/glow to my eye. I always use a scant dusting of silica-based finishing powder before heading out the door, but the bare finish of the product is more that of a natural-matte cream.

Pigmentation:
Sheer to semi-sheer--product is buildable (to a degree, obviously!).

Wear:
Perfect! BalmShelter is very long-wearing (set with powder); I've also had no issues with oxidation or skin eruptions since adding this product (over a month ago). As others have mentioned, it is not much of a moisturizer (albeit not drying on my combo-dry skintype, either).

Shade:
Lighter Than Light corresponds perfectly with the same shade in the brand's concealer. I would describe it as a pale-fair neutral, which suits my needs as a NW15 perfectly.

As of purchase, one tube of BalmShelter runs $25 for 2.15 fluid ounce (64ml) worth of product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Shylilsweety

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have combination, acne-prone skin, and it tends to be really sensitive so I'm always nervous in trying new products.

I purchased this online after careful review searching and was not disappointed.The product not only feels moisturizing the second you put it on, but it does keep your skin smooth and moisturized for a few hours after application. I don't notice much of a scent. Its tint is very, and I mean VERY light coverage. I am using Light in color, but might repurchase lighter, since I am pretty fair skinned. The application is smooth and I apply with clean fingertip after a primer. I sometimes mix this with my liquid foundation and apply both at the same time. I come out with a little bit of a dewy result after applying this product (alone or mixed) so I just use loose mineral matte powder to keep it locked downed for hours and matte.

Overall: Really love this, and will continue to repurchase. My only wish is that it had more coverage! It's definetly buildable without clumping, going into fine lines, or becoming cakey or catching on dry areas and is very smooth, but not "perfect-cover-all-pores-like-photoshop" smooth and it gets only as far as light to medium coverage when building. If it had a medium flat coverage it would be amazing and worth every cent so I took a point off just for that and I do wish is was easier to find and obtain! Only able to find it online currently.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2014 10:40:00 AM More reviews by hannahwang97

This has the potential to work very well even on oily skin with powder and primer. However I have extremely patchy dry skin for some reason at the moment and this foundation has emphasized it, not as much as other products though. The feeling of this on the skin is thin and light, does not look cakey! You can see your skin but the foundation is noticeable. IT DOES NOT BREAK YOU OUT! I have acne-prone skin and nearly everything makes my acne worse whether it makes me get more or makes the ones I have worse. It was a huge surprise considering some of the ingredients it uses and not saying that it's non-comedegenic. My skin was actually improving while using this! The packaging is something I hate, it looks very cheap. However I would definitely reuse and repurchase once my skin has retained moisture.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2014 12:15:00 AM More reviews by JBeauty22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

People keep saying there are no darker shades....THAT IS NOT TRUE! There are 3!!!! Just before dark, dark, and after dark. I work for the new kohls beauty department as a advisor and kohls carries Thebalm as well as the 3 darker shades depending on whether your kohls has the new beauty department. Anyway, this product is great it isn't dewy like I hoped but its very light and fresh. The only bad thing is it oxidizes! You can tell by how the excess product gets darker on the inside of the cap so for lighter skin you may want to go a shade lighter to avoid looking orange or having a visible line. I use the shade dark as well as Thebalm time balm cream concealer in dark.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/27/2014 7:51:00 AM More reviews by purplelili

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

So I got this simply 'coz I was looking for light coverage product for the summer. I have made some research and reading all the good reviews I wanted to give it a go.

Cons:
-It is very affordable! The amount of product that you got in the tube is great! Will last you ages.
-SPF 18

Pros:
-People with oily skin should stay away from this product. Especially in the summer! It just doesnt settle on your face!
-It is not very good coverage. It doesn't even out your skin tone or anything. You cannot use this one on its own. You should use it with a good concealer.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2014 2:03:00 PM More reviews by elizmarcelo

Rating this 5-star so more people would buy the BalmShelter then TheBalm wouldn't have to discontinue this product. That's how much I love it! Light, but tinted enough. Exactly how I want it to be! Had to spot conceal but I don't mind. The longer it is on your face, the better it looks. Wore this for approx 13 hours yesterday, I only had to blot (using Palladio rice powder) once!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/29/2014 10:54:00 AM More reviews by Jackie2424

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wanted to like this- the color matched my skin perfectly. However it irritates my eyes no matter how far I keep it from them. Also it is too sheer for my crappy skin. The color match is great but I don't like to have to build coverage. If you don't have sensitive eyes or need a lot of coverage, then this is a great buy. I bought it at Kohl's. I am going to have to stick with my Laura Mercier oil free tinted moisturizer, which is expensive (the reason I tried TheBalm - $25 vs. $43 for LM) but it covers my imperfections in one application.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2014 2:31:00 PM More reviews by BlissLush

Love this BB cream! Purchased this as replacement for my Holy Grail Urban Decay Tinted moisturizer which has been discontinued! The texture is nice, coverage is medium and buildable. Can wear alone or finish w/a pressed or loose powder. More bang for you buck! they give more product than most companies. Chose Medium color due to my summer tan (NC35) & it matches perfect! Better than the UD! and its cheaper! my new HG BB cream indeed!!!! Perfect for oily skin, my face isn't a grease ball after a long day. I love to use this with the tiny bit of UD Surreal Skin Loose powder in Vision that I have left, give its a matte finish. Doesn't irritate my super sensitive skin! Smoothes pores, covers up fine lines, giving an overall polished natural look!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2014 12:28:00 AM More reviews by nathalierae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought the shade "light" a few days ago from a department store. It was $25. This is a decent product. It is a very good quality tinted moisturizer. Depending on how you apply it, it can be sheer to medium coverage. It has quite a wide range of shades for a tinted moisturizer line, which is a plus also. However, because I have tried drugstore products that are similar, I find that $25 isn't very reasonable. I use a CC cream by Lumene, which retails for $15 at drug stores. The CC cream is my HG, so it is what I compare most bb/cc/tinted moisturizers to. The Balm's tinted moisturizer does not wear quite as long as my HG, it also only has an spf of 18, whereas Lumene's CC has 20. I also find that the CC cream I use is even more lightweight and less noticeable on the skin, even though it has slightly more coverage than The Balm's tinted moisturizer.

Overall, I think that the BalmShelter tinted moisturizer is a decent product, however, there are other products I would grab over this one. It is a very moisturizing product, and it hasn't irritated my skin at all. If you prefer tinted moisturizers, probably go for this one if you only need a little bit of coverage. Otherwise, if you want a tinted moisturizer with a fair bit of coverage, try the Laura Mercier one. If you want something inexpensive & are willing to go the bb/cc route, I recommend Lumene's products.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No