Boots Mattifying Make-up Base

3.1

on 6/17/2013 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool

just started using primer under my makeup a few months ago. I have extremely oily skin, especially on my nose and cheeks. I prefer liquid foundation, but the oil on my face would start to cause the makeup to break down and disappear after 4-5 hours. After 6-7 hours, I would have large patches where the makeup had completely disappeared and the redness and small bumps on my face would be clearly visible. Not exactly a self-esteem booster. I was in Sephora getting a sample of a different foundation, and mentioned my issues with foundation to the girl giving me the sample. She suggested using a primer under my makeup. She recommended one from Sephora, but I wasn't willing to shell out $36 for a primer. So I went to Target and looked to see what I could find there. I like the Boots No 7 Beautifully Matte foundation. I found this makeup base for around $10 so I figured I would give it a try.

Honestly, I am really surprised by all the negative reviews about this product. I love it. Other reviewers have stated that it's thick and grainy. I love the texture of this product. It is super silky and smooth. To me, it isn't thick or grainy at all. I wonder if maybe the people who say it was thick and grainy got a tube that was bad or old. It spreads really easily and absorbs and dries quickly. Some reviewers have mentioned the fact that it dries so quickly as a negative. I don't see it that way. In fact, that's one of the things I like most about it. You do have to be careful about using too much. If you use too much, it can cause white patches to show through. But I usually do my face in sections. I squirt enough to cover the length of my index finger. That is enough for my entire face. This primer keeps me matte and my makeup in place over 12 hours. It doesn’t make my skin overly dry, and does not bother my extremely sensitive skin at all. It does what it says. For me, it controls oil and shine very well. You also get a good amount of product for the price. I bought this in mid February 2013, and I am still on my first tube. In fact, it’s only a little over half empty.

On a whim, I recently purchased the Rimmel Fix and Perfect 002 primer. Which did pretty much nothing for me. Before I realized it was doing absolutely nothing, I thought I really liked it. So I threw my Boots Mattifying Base in the garbage. Once I realized the Rimmel wasn’t working for me, I regretted throwing the Boots product away. But fortunately, I was able to rescue it from the garbage before it was taken out. I love this makeup base and will not stray again. I highly recommend this product, and will definitely repurchase when I run out.

EDIT 6/28/13 This primer is not really that great. It does nothing to control oil and shine. MOM works much better. I will be sticking with that instead.

on 5/21/2013 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

At First I was like Okay this might actually be a good drugstore primer for my super oily skin, but I spoke too soon. It might soak up oil but makes my makeup look a little cakey but the biggest problem is it makes it ball up, it makes anything you put on top of it completely un blendable.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I kinda get the bad reviews for this. Seeing as dries faster than Revlon Colorstay in a Nascar race, I get how this couldn't be everyone's favorite. I however, really like it.
I find that the best way to use this is in a small amount over a small area. I pat it in quickly and let it set. I don't use this as an all-over primer, just the areas where I get oily as the rest of my skin is very dry. I also add one of my favorite primers (either Rimmel Fix and Perfect Pro 002 or NYX Photo Perfecting Primer) and it helps smooth out my skin and the Mattifying Make-up Base. This keeps me oil-free for several hours, and when it finally does give out, I'm left with a dewy look, which I like. I'd repurchase, but given how little I use, I don't think I'll have to for awhile.

on 10/25/2012 7:13:00 PM

Ive only dipped my toe into the world of primers, but Im strongly suspecting that silicone-based primers do not work for my skin. This stuff applies easily, and it works as far as keeping my skin not oily and making my makeup last longer. But the day or two after Ive used it my skin breaks out like crazy. I still use it occasionally for very special occasions but its certainly not an everyday product for me.

on 5/16/2012 1:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Horrible product. I am extremely oily, and during the first 30 min this primer does mattify. However, after 2h I am more shiny than without any primer at all. I will say more, after 2 hours I am more shiny than if I had used a greasy moisturiser as a base! Do not buy this product, horrible.

on 4/13/2012 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

At first I hated this product. It was pasty and thick and difficult to work with. But I've been able to make it work. I simply blend it with my moisturizer and pat it on. It works wonderfully now and though I'm not totally in love, it does the job. It keeps my notoriously oily skin from looking like an oil slick at the end of the day. It's the only primer I've found that actually keeps oil at bay from 7am-midnight.

on 2/16/2012 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

when u first apply it , it feels like it is going to keep you matte. but it doesnt. it dries out so quickly so you should be very quick when applying it. also you cant apply anything rubbing with your fingers like liquid foundation on top of this primer as the primer rubs off your skin when applying anything else with fingers. i still look shiny after using that. it doesnt do any magic. wont buy it again. cheap and useless.

on 2/7/2012 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

You are better off using some chalk on your skin. This product is one of the worst products that I have ever seen. It dries up the skin and it does not spread well. I tried it on my hand and my hand looked dry and weird. I used it on my face and I could not even tolerate it for a minute. If you are oily and want to use a primer, go for the gel kind. These white stuff will make your skin oilier and can clog your pores. A no no for me.

on 1/11/2012 7:23:00 PM

This product does what it claims, but it is incredibly difficult to work with. The product comes out of the tube like a thick paste---thicker than toothpaste and needs to be worked with in small sections. Too much rubbing or product in one area will cause it to ball up or become streaky, leaving you with patchy white areas. The best method I have found is to squeeze out a small amount and work between fingertips to warm up the product a bit, then pat on areas where you tend to get oily. Applying to other areas of the face may cause dryness by the end of the day.

While this product does control my oily t-zone, it does not fill in my nose pores quite as good as Revlon photoready perfecting primer. Blending foundation on top of this is a bit of a chore---not smooth and easy like other silicone primers. This has some "grip" to it.

I can't use this when in a rush as it just takes too many steps to achieve a natural look. This isnt worth the time to return (only cost me $5) but I would not repurchase or recommend to anyone. Putting on your face makeup should not take so much effort.

on 1/4/2012 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I'm surprised this product doesn't have positive reviews. I actually like this primer. It doesn't let my makeup soak in. It just sit on top of my skin, which btw you need to apply this a certain way or else it'll ball up. It's really matte and my makeup stays fine. I don't break out with this and makeup stays.